/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salah

samsam
08-20-2010, 09:21 PM
:wa:
Dear forum users
Could you please describe fully* how to pray salah tahjjud and salah istikhra please, like is it different from normal salah :exhausted?
It would help me a great deal , Jazakallah khair in advance :statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Wahid
08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
:sl:

Normal Salat which are 5 obligatory prayers (Qiyam prayers) are the same as Tahajjud prayers. Just different names. Tahajjud prayer is an optional night prayer. Tahajjud refers to getting up after sleeping.

The best time to pray Tahajjud prayer is the last third portion of the night. It is recommended to pray 8 rakats, because this was the general practice of the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW).

Pray your rakats 2 at a time. You should begin Tahajjud with two quick rakats and then you may pray whatever you wish after that. `A’ishah said: "When the Prophet prayed during the late-night, he would begin his prayers with two quick rakats." Both of these reports are related by Muslim.

Abu Hurayra (ALLAH be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) said, "The best prayer after the obligatory prayers is the night prayer". [Muslim]

Abu Hurayra (ALLAH be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) was asked, "What prayer is most virtuous, after the obligatory prayers? He said, Prayer in the depths of the night". [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Nasai, Ibn Majah]

Abd Allah ibn Salam (ALLAH be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) said, "O people! Spread the salams, feed others, maintain family ties, and pray at night when others sleep and you will enter Heaven safely". [Tirmidhi, Hakim]

Abu Umama al-Bahili (ALLAH be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) said, "Hold fast to night prayer, for it was the way of the righteous before you, a way of drawing closer to your Lord, an expiation for wrong deeds, and a shield from sin". [Tirmidhi, and others]

Etiquettes of Tahajjud prayer

The following acts are recommended for one who wishes to perform the Tahajjud prayers:

1- Upon going to sleep, one should make the intention to perform the Tahajjud prayers. Abu ad-Darda' quoted the Prophet(SAW) as saying: "Whoever goes to his bed with the intention of getting up and praying during the night, but, being overcome by sleep, fails to do that, he will have recorded for him what he has intended, and his sleep will be reckoned as a charity (an act of mercy) for him from his Lord." This is related by an-Nasa'i and ibn Majah through the authentic chain of narrators.

2- On waking up, one should wipe one's face, use a tooth brush, and look to the sky and make the supplication which has been reported from the Prophet(SAW): "O Allah! There is no god but Thee, Glory be to Thee, I seek Thy forgiveness for my sins, and I ask for Your mercy. O Allah, increase my knowledge and let my heart not swerve after You have guided me, and bestow mercy upon me from Thyself. All praise be to Allah who has given us back life after our death and unto Him is the resurrection."

Then, one should recite the last ten verses of Surat Al `Imran starting with, “Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day,- there are indeed Signs for men of understanding.” Then one should say, "O Allah, to You belongs the praise. You are the Light of the heavens and the earth and what is therein. And to You belongs the praise. You are the truth and Your promise is true. Meeting with You is true; the Paradise is true, the Fire is true. The Prophets are true, and Muhammad is true and the Hour is true ! O Allah, to You have I submitted, in You have I believed, in You have I put my trust, to You have I turned, by You I argue and to You do I turn for my decisions. Forgive me of my former and latter sins, and those done in private and those done in public. You are Allah, there is no god besides Thee."

3- One should begin Tahajjud with two quick rak`ahs and then one may pray whatever one wishes after that. `A’ishah said: "When the Prophet prayed during the late-night, he would begin his prayers with two quick rak`ahs." Both of these reports are related by Muslim.

4- One should wake up one's family for Tahajjud. Abu Hurairah quoted the Prophet(SAW), as saying: "May Allah bless the man who gets up during the night to pray and wakes up his wife and who, if she refuses to get up, sprinkles water on her face. And may Allah bless the woman who gets up during the night to pray and wakes up her husband and who, if he refuses, sprinkles water on his face." The Prophet(SAW) also said: "If a man wakes his wife and prays during the night or they pray two rak`ahs together, they will be recorded among those (men and women) who (constantly) make remembrance of Allah." This is related by Abu Dawud and others through an authentic chain of narrators.

5-If one gets sleepy while performing Tahajjud one should sleep. This is due to the hadith narrated by `A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) as she quoted Allah’s Messenger as saying: "When one of you gets up during the night for prayer and his Qur'anic recital gets mixed up to the extent that he does not know what he says, he should lie down." This is related by Muslim.

Check this link out. InshaALLAH it helps.

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-guidance.html

Any more questions or something you didn't understand then feel free to ask.

Hamza Asadullah
08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samsam
:wa:
Dear forum users
Could you please describe fully* how to pray salah tahjjud and salah istikhra please, like is it different from normal salah :exhausted?
It would help me a great deal , Jazakallah khair in advance :statisfie
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb,

Tahajjud

The Night Vigil Prayer

Allah Most High said, �Establish worship at the going down of the sun until the dark of the night, and (the recital of) the Qur�an at dawn. Lo! (the recital of) the Qur�an at dawn is ever witnessed. And some part of the night awake for its recital, as voluntary worship for you. It may be that your Lord will raise you to a praised estate.� [Qur�an, 17: 78-79]

Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said, �The best prayer after the obligatory prayers is the night prayer.�[Muslim]

Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) was asked, �What prayer is most virtuous, after the obligatory prayers?� He said, �Prayer in the depths of the night.� [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, Nasa�i, Ibn Majah]

Abd Allah ibn Salam (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said, �O people! Spread the salams, feed others, maintain family ties, and pray at night when others sleep and you will enter Heaven safely.�[Tirmidhi, Hakim]

Abu Umama al-Bahili (Allah be pleased with him) reports that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said, �Hold fast to night prayer, for it was the way of the righteous before you, a way of drawing closer to your Lord, an expiation for wrong deeds, and a shield from sin.� [Tirmidhi, and others] In some narrations, there is an addition, �And it repels sickness from the body.�

Ibn Mas`ud (Allah be pleased with him) said, �The virtues of night prayer over day prayer is like the virtue of secret charity over open charity.�[Tabarani] The scholars explain that this refers to voluntary prayers.

Imam Saffarini, the Hanbali faqih and sufi, explained in his Sharh Mandhumat al-Adaab:

�Night prayer is superior to day prayer because:

It is more concealed and closer to sincerity. The righteous early Muslims (salaf) used to strive hard to hide their secrets [f: i.e. the actions between them and Allah].

Hasan [al-Basri] said, �It used to be that a person would have guests staying over and he would pray at night without his guests knowing��

And because night prayer is harder on the lower self, because night is a time of rest from the tire of day, so leaving sleep despite the lower self being desirous of it is a tremendous struggle (mujahada). Some have said, �The best of works are those the lower self is forced to perform.�

And because recitation in night prayer is closer to contemplation, because things that busy the heart are mostly absent at night, so the heart is attention and is with the tongue in understanding, as Allah Most High said, �o! The night vigil is (a time) when impression is more keen and speech more certain. [Lo! You have by day a chain of business. So remember the name of your Lord and devote yourself with a complete devotion.]� (Qur�an, 73: 6-7) It is because of this that we have been commanded to recite the Qur�an in night prayer in a steady recital (tartil).

And it is because of this that night prayer is a shield from sin�

And because night vigil time is the best of times for voluntary worship and prayer, and the closest a servant is to his Lord.

And because it is a time when the doors of the sky are opened, supplications answered, and the needs of those who ask fulfilled.

Allah has praised those who wake up at night for His remembrance, supplication, and to seek forgiveness and entreat Him, saying, �They forsake their beds to cry unto their Lord in fear and hope, and spend of what We have bestowed on them. No soul knows what is kept hid from them of joy, as a reward for what they used to do.� [Qur�an, 32: 16-17]

And He said, �Those who pray for pardon in the watches of the night.�[Qur�an, 3: 17]

And, �[The (faithful) servants of the Merciful are they who walk upon the earth modestly, and when the foolish one address them answer: Peace;] And who spend the night before their Lord, prostrate and standing��[Qur�an, 25: 63-64]

Allah most negated similitude between those who pray at night and those who do not: �Is the one who worships devoutly in the watches of the night, prostrate and standing, fearful of the Hereafter and hoping for the mercy of his Lord, (to be accounted equal with a disbeliever)? Say: are those who know equal with those who know know? But only people of understanding will pay heed.� [Qur�an, 39: 9]� [Saffarini, Ghidha al-Albab Sharh Mandhumat al-Adaab,

Imam Abu Sa�id al-Khadimi said,

�There is scholarly consensus (ijma`) that among the best of virtuous acts is the night vigil prayer.� [al-Bariqa al-Mahmudiyya Sharh al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya]

The scholars derived the following from the Qur�an and prophetic hadiths:

1. The minimal night vigil prayer is 2 rakats. [Hindiyya, quoting Fath al-Qadir]

2. Its optimal recommended amount is 8 rakats, because this was the general practice of the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions). [Hindiyya, quoting Fath al-Qadir]

3. Lengthier recitation is superior to a larger number of rakats prayed. [Durr al-Mukhtar, Radd al-Muhtar]

4. If one divides the night in thirds, then the final middle third is most virtuous. [Durr al-Mukhtar]

5. If one divides the night in half, then the second half is more virtuous. [ibid.]

6. Voluntary (nafl) prayer at night is more virtuous than voluntary prayer during the day. However, the full reward mentioned in the Qur�anic verses and Prophetic hadiths refers to worship that was preceded by sleep. This is also understood from the very linguistic meaning of tahajjud, which is to struggle rid oneself of sleep. [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar, quoting Ibn Amir Haajj�s Halba]

7. Ibn Nujaym and Haskafi both affirmed that night prayer is recommended. [al-Bahr al-Ra�iq, and al-Durr al-Mukhtar; chosen in al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya] Kamal ibn al-Humam, the brilliant mujtahid who was the greatest Hanafi faqih of the latter half of Islamic history, however, wavered between it being recommended or a confirmed sunna. This is because while the spoken hadiths indicate recommendation, the continued practice of the Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) would seem to indicate it being a confirmed sunna. This was also chosen by Ibn al-Humam�s student, Ibn Amir Haaj in his Halba. [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar]

8. It is disliked to leave the night vigil prayer for one who has made it their habit, unless there is an excuse, because the Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) said to Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him), �O Abd Allah! Do not be like so-and-so. He used to pray at night and then left it.� [Bukhari and Muslim] Therefore, one should take on an amount of works one can sustain, for the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said, �The most beloved of actions to Allah are the most constant, even if little.� [Bukhari and Muslim] [Ibn Abidin, Radd al-Muhtar, from Ibn Amir Haajj�s Halba]

9. It is recommended to start the night vigil with two short rakats, because of the hadith of Abu Hurayra that the Prophet Muhammad (Allah bless him and give him peace) said, �It you get up for night prayer, start with two short rakats.� [Muslim, Ahmad, Abu Dawud]

10. Supplications in the depths of the night are answered, as the hadiths have mentioned.

Ibn Mas`ud (Allah be pleased with him) was asked, �I cannot pray at night.� He said, �Your sins have prevented you.�

[/B]Salaatul Isthikhara

When one is not clear about the result of the istikhara, the fuqaha mention that it is recommend to repeat it, upto 7 times if necessary (usually done on separate occasions). [cf: Radd al-Muhtar]

It is not necessary that you get a dream or even a "feeling." Rather, the istikhara is a prayer that Allah guide you towards that which is best (khayr) for you. If you do the prayer of guidance (istikhara) with the proper manners, the most important of which is to truly consign the matter to Allah and suspend your own inclinations, then Allah will make events unfold in the direction that is the best for your worldly and next-worldly affairs.

In general, when it is not possible to perform the istikhara prayer itself (such as when one is out on the road, or in one's menstrual period), it is recommended to simply read the dua itself. [Radd al-Muhtar]

The istikhara prayer may be made for a specific matter or be made for a general seeking of all that is best. Some scholars, including Imam Abd al-Wahhab al-Sha`rani and Ibn `Arafah before him saw this kind of istikhara prayer as being superior. Others, including Shaykh Ibn al-Arabi, recommended performing a general istikhara prayer for all that is good every day, ideally at the time of the Duha prayer (after sunrise).

Imam al-Nawawi mentioned that before the istikhara prayer, one should seek advice (istishara) from those whose knowledge, wisdom, and concern one is confident. Ibn Hajar al-Haytami and others mentioned that one of the benefits of this is to further distance oneself from the desires of one's own egotistic inclinations.

It is recommended to open the dua of istikhara [below], with praise of Allah and sending blessings on the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace), and to close it in this manner, too.

Like other duas, it is recommended that one face the qibla.

It is disliked to 'hasten' in seeking the answer to one's istikhara, like other duas, because the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said, "Your prayers are answered, unless you hasten, saying, 'I prayed, but no answer came.'"

One should be pleased with what Allah chooses for one, and not seek to follow one's whims after the answer to one's supplication becomes clear.

There is a pious lady in our community who has offered to pray istikhara for me to help me make a decision for marriage.... [ .... ] my question to you is if you know if this idea of relying on someone else's istikhara is a good idea and compatible with the teachings of Islam on how to make dua and decisions. should I follow her advice (according to her dreams and feelings) to me on this issue or not?

This is one means you can take: to seek the istikhara of a pious person. The permissibility of this was mentioned explicitly by the Malikis and Shafi`is. The Hanafis do not appear to have discussed this issue [al-Mawsu`a al-Fiqhhiyya, Kuwait], but there is nothing in it that would indicate its impermissibility. Rather, it is merely the taking of a means, which is permitted as long as one knows that the one who gives and takes, benefits and harms is Allah alone.

In such cases, though, one should not leave doing the istikhara oneself...

Salat al-Istikhara[B]

CONCERNING THE RITUAL PRAYER FOR GUIDANCE IN CHOOSING THE BEST OPTION [SALAT AL-ISTIKHARA], AND THE PRAYER OF SUPPLICATION [DU'A'] APPROPRIATE TO IT.

According to a traditional report transmitted on the authority of Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir, it was Jabir ibn 'Abdi'llah (may Allah be well pleased with him and with his father) who said:

"Allah's Messenger (Allah bless him and give him peace) used to teach us how to seek guidance in choosing the best option available in a practical enterprise [al-istikhara fi 'l-amr], just as he would sometimes teach us a Chapter [Sura] from the Qur'an. :

"'If one of you is concerned about some practical undertaking, or about making plans for a journey, he should perform two cycles of ritual prayer [rak'atain], not as an obligatory observance [farida], but voluntarily. Then he should say:

'"O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best, through Your knowledge, and I ask You to empower me, through Your power, and I beg You to grant me Your tremendous favor, for You have power, while I am without power, and You have knowledge, while I am without knowledge, and You are the One who knows all things invisible.

Allahumma inni astakhiru-ka bi-'ilmi-ka wa astaqdiru-ka bi-qudrati-ka wa as'alu-ka min fadli-ka 'l-'azim fa-inna-ka taqdiru wa la aqdiru wa ta'lamu wa la a'lamu wa Anta 'Allamu 'l-ghuyub :

O Allah, if You know that this undertaking is in the best interests of my religion, my life in this world, and my life in the Hereafter, and can yield successful results in both the short term and the long term, then make it possible for me and make it easy for me, and then bless me in it.

Allahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna hadha 'l-amra khairun li fi dini wa dunyaya wa akhirati wa 'aqibati amri wa 'ajili-hi wa ajili-h :fa-'qdir-hu li wa yassir-hu li thumma barik li fi-h :

If not, then turn it away from me, and make it easy for me to do well, wherever I may happen to be, and make me content with Your verdict, O Most Merciful of the merciful.'"

wa illa fa-'srif-hu 'an-ni wa yassir liya 'l-khaira haithu kana ma kuntu wa raddi-ni bi-qada'i-ka ya Arhama 'r-rahimin :

And Allah knows best in all matters

samsam
08-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Assalamu Ailakum

JAZAKALLAH KHAIR brother,s
that was very,very helpfull
May Allah bless you both with Jannut-ul-firdous :statisfie

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!