/* */

PDA

View Full Version : screen light fades

Snowflake
08-20-2010, 11:20 PM
:sl:

The light on my monitor suddenly dims quite significantly. I made sure the leads are attached securely. So I'm not sure what's happening. Is my monitor dying or something in it about to die? Does it have bulbs inside lol? :-[:hiding:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
08-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Salaam Sis

sorry dont know :(

why computers are like this ? always give trouble :(

Alpha Dude
08-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

When it dims, are you able to adjust the brightness setting back up again? Try playing with some of the buttons on your monitor. There might be something like 'restore defaults/to factory settings' showing on the on-screen menu. Allahu Alaam, might be of some help doing that.

Does it ever flicker? It might be on the brink if it does, though.

tango92
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
i dont know if its any help but my psp screen used to loose brightness after a while. you just had to tap the screen and it would fix.

but err, id say your monitors days are numbered

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
08-20-2010, 11:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam Sis

sorry dont know :(

why computers are like this ? always give trouble :(
:salamext:
Aw ukhti.. it's ok.. everything is perishable so.. :wub:

format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
Wa alaykum salam,
When it dims, are you able to adjust the brightness setting back up again? Try playing with some of the buttons on your monitor. There might be something like 'restore defaults/to factory settings' showing on the on-screen menu. Allahu Alaam, might be of some help doing that.

Does it ever flicker? It might be on the brink if it does, though.
I didn't try adjusting the brightness as I don't think it has anything to do with the buttons. But I will try it when it happens again. Jazak Allahu khayr

Edit: It's flickering a bit but mostly it's solid when it dims/brightens.

format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
i dont know if its any help but my psp screen used to loose brightness after a while. you just had to tap the screen and it would fix.

but err, id say your monitors days are numbered

I hope not inshaAllah!! Please make dua it doesn't die on me just yet inshaAllah.

~Raindrop~
08-20-2010, 11:57 PM
^^May Allah SWT grant it a long and fruitful life.

Cabdullahi
08-21-2010, 12:06 AM
what if your lights are dimming haha you might be tired?

is it an old monitor or is it lcd/tft?

Snowflake
08-21-2010, 12:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
^^May Allah SWT grant it a long and fruitful life.
Jazaki Allah khayr dear... Ameen :wub:
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
what if your lights are dimming haha you might be tired?

is it an old monitor or is it lcd/tft?
Aw you joka bro! It is an old monitor but in pristine condition mashaAllah. I wouldn't know if it lcd or tft. Sorry.

Cabdullahi
08-21-2010, 12:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Jazaki Allah khayr dear... Ameen :wub:

Aw you joka bro! It is an old monitor but in pristine condition mashaAllah. I wouldn't know if it lcd or tft. Sorry.
is it a flat panel? just play around with the settings it should work insha'Allah

Snowflake
08-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Yes, flat akhi. I'll try to do as you said inshaAllah. Jazak Allahu khayr.

جوري
08-21-2010, 02:55 AM
check your batteries..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Geeky thread :-\

أحمد
08-21-2010, 04:15 AM

This happens to monitors "all the time".

Problem 1: The mercury lamps work very much like standard fluorescent lamps. They don't last for ever; so when a monitor gets quite old, you have to either replace them, or if you're not good with handling computers; I suggest you get them replaced by someone who knows how to.

Problem 2: The monitor's PSB may have become damaged, if this is the case; its good news compared to problem 1. PSB's are easier to find from local part dealers; unlike mercury lamps, which you can't get in all countries.

WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISASSEMBLE A MONITOR (BEYOND THE LEVEL THAT YOU CAN REPLACE THE PSB) IF YOU AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH MONITOR REPAIR.

How to identify the exact problem (replace the PSB):
PSB on average costs about £25 to £30, but if you can get a spare to test; it'll save you some money.
YOU NEED A PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER.
1. Check for screws on the monitor.
2. Unscrew all visible screws.
3. The monitor should now be only clipped together; this is normal.
4. Gently pull the monitor apart from the from (inner frame around the screen).
5. You will see two circuit boards on the monitor; one carries DATA, the other carries POWER. The DATA board is the one with your VGA, DVI or HDMI connectors. You are NOT interested in playing around with the DATA board.
6. Remove the PSB (Power Supply Board) and fix the replacement PSB in place.
7. Close the monitor; this is for your own safety. I DO NOT want to be held responsible for any electric shocks. Seriously, electricity is dangerous; always be careful.

Check if the monitor works properly. If it doesn't; then the mercury lamps need replacing.

Monitors as a standard, contain 2 double mercury tubes. A standard Mercury / Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp:

These lamps are very weak AND made from glass, so its easy cutting yourself. Be careful when handling anything; especially electric and glass items.

CCFLs are commonly known as back-lights (obvious description), so use that term if the parts supplier / installer doesn't know the technical terminology.

Diagnose the problem first, then write your results here; we can go step by step if necessary to fix the problem :inshallah

:wa:

Snowflake
08-21-2010, 06:28 AM

I'm shocked.. monitors really have tube lights. JazakAllah khayr for the comprehensive instructions bro. But I won't remember how to put it back together again. Yes, I'll leave it to the professionals inshaAllah.

أحمد
08-22-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm shocked.. monitors really have tube lights. JazakAllah khayr for the comprehensive instructions bro. But I won't remember how to put it back together again. Yes, I'll leave it to the professionals inshaAllah.
As long as the "professionals" aren't PC World, you should be fine. The last time I needed to place an order for monitor spares, I contacted the manufacturer, but as they didn't supply to private customers; they referred me to PC World (major local PC and parts supplier). I asked for 475mm CCFLs, they asked me to confirm that I said "CD-R". Eventually I got through to the technical helpdesk after ten minutes of explaining what CCFLs are. It took a further ten to fifteen minutes talking to the technical department, before they eventually told me that they haven't ever heard of CCFLs, mercury lamps or back-lights.

It wasn't the first, nor the last time I came across such "professionals".

CCFLs are found in small metal frames above and below a thick plastic sheet behind the screen. This is why if you ever clean the monitor screen; you should always wipe it horizontally. This avoids pressure being exerted on the lamps. Wiping vertically can break the glass, which you will only see if the monitor is dissected. The brightness and data controls are apart, so you won't notice any difference in the displayed data; you'll notice only the brightness dims.

Salahudeen
08-22-2010, 01:03 PM
:( with my monitor the colour is going, the screen goes pink and I have to bang the top of it a few times with my hand then it restores back to normal colour. Anyone know what's going on? :(

أحمد
08-22-2010, 01:46 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
:( with my monitor the colour is going, the screen goes pink and I have to bang the top of it a few times with my hand then it restores back to normal colour. Anyone know what's going on? :(
Sounds like a faulty or loose connection; unplug data wires (VGA, DVI or HDMI) from both computer and monitor, then plug back in again and secure into place. If the problem persists; either the data cable is damaged or the data board has loose connections.

Snowflake
08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Waheed

As long as the "professionals" aren't PC World, you should be fine. The last time I needed to place an order for monitor spares, I contacted the manufacturer, but as they didn't supply to private customers; they referred me to PC World (major local PC and parts supplier). I asked for 475mm CCFLs, they asked me to confirm that I said "CD-R". Eventually I got through to the technical helpdesk after ten minutes of explaining what CCFLs are. It took a further ten to fifteen minutes talking to the technical department, before they eventually told me that they haven't ever heard of CCFLs, mercury lamps or back-lights.

It wasn't the first, nor the last time I came across such "professionals".

CCFLs are found in small metal frames above and below a thick plastic sheet behind the screen. This is why if you ever clean the monitor screen; you should always wipe it horizontally. This avoids pressure being exerted on the lamps. Wiping vertically can break the glass, which you will only see if the monitor is dissected. The brightness and data controls are apart, so you won't notice any difference in the displayed data; you'll notice only the brightness dims.

I can believe that. Luckily the 'professional' I know doesn't even have a degree, but tons of practical experience which no degree can beat. Jazak Allahu khayr for the explanations akhi.

Dagless
09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Hmm sounds like it might be turning gay.

abdussattar
09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Ahmed Waheed, are you a computer engineer? :o

Just curious.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
you could always give it a good thumping. works for our speakers when they go all muffled.

Snowflake
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
The screen light on my mobile phone has started flickering too. Paranormal activity? = O

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
^Naah i doubt that there something that geeky related to your prob such as "paranormal activity" lol, probs just broken or something :-\ or something wrong with the phone :-\

Snowflake
09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
^lol

phone and monitor sis.. and boiler and fridge are sounding extra loud too! The washing machine has started jumping so much on spin cycle it ended up two feet away from where it's fitted. Muhaha the house is coming alive lol Visitors Beware! :p :coolalien

أحمد
09-15-2010, 02:28 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Ahmed Waheed, are you a computer engineer? :o

Just curious.
No, I'm not qualified in that field (no formal certificate).

^lol

phone and monitor sis.. and boiler and fridge are sounding extra loud too! The washing machine has started jumping so much on spin cycle it ended up two feet away from where it's fitted. Muhaha the house is coming alive lol Visitors Beware! :p :coolalien
Phones and monitors share back-lights as their common factor; the bulbs die out eventually.
I also have a noisy refrigerator, but that's due to the pump. As for the washing & walking machine; I even have that problem with mine. I would guess its an installation problem, but I haven't checked, nor am I an expert on washing machines. Your washing machine isn't alive.

Snowflake
09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Waheed

Phones and monitors share back-lights as their common factor; the bulbs die out eventually.
I also have a noisy refrigerator, but that's due to the pump. As for the washing & walking machine; I even have that problem with mine. I would guess its an installation problem, but I haven't checked, nor am I an expert on washing machines. Your washing machine isn't alive.

made me laugh bro. I know my washing machine is only a machine. But it does look scary when it's walking on it's own.

My son thinks this joke is to blame.. especially@sis muslim

... A man was walking home alone late one night when he hears a clackety clack..bump bump.. behind him. Walking faster he looks back, and makes out the image of an upright coffin banging its way down the middle of the street towards him CLACKETY CLACK...BUMP... BUMP... BUMP...

Terrified, the man begins to run towards his home, the coffin bouncing quickly behind him ...faster... faster... CLACKETY CLACK BUMP...BUMP...BUMP. He runs up to his door, fumbles with his keys, opens the door, rushes in, slams and locks the door behind him. However, the coffin crashes through his door, with the lid of the coffin clapping ...clappity-BUMP... clappity-BUMP...clappity-BUMP...on the heals of the terrified man.

Rushing upstairs to the bathroom, the man locks himself in. His heart is pounding; his head is reeling; his breath is coming in sobbing gasps. With a loud CRASH the coffin breaks down the door. Bumping and clapping towards him. The man screams and reaches for something, anything ... but all he can find is a bottle of cough medicine! Desperate, he throws the cough medicine at the coffin... .. and of course.... THE COFFIN STOPPED!

(as in coughing - coffin) You have to laugh!

That's the joke behind our washing machine chasing us.

abdussattar
09-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Hmm my monitor is having a pale blue shade... how do I cure this?

أحمد
09-26-2010, 02:43 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Hmm my monitor is having a pale blue shade... how do I cure this?
Before doing anything else; its best to check the graphics driver and monitor settings.

Snowflake
09-27-2010, 04:38 PM
I had something really important to ask but I can't remember what it was

أحمد
09-27-2010, 11:26 PM

I had something really important to ask but I can't remember what it was
Whenever you remember it, if you make a note of it on paper; it'll save you the trouble of wondering what you may have wanted to ask :inshallah

As human beings, we are forgetful. After-all, the root for Insaan إنسان is the same as that for Nisyaan نسيان .

Yanal
09-28-2010, 01:06 AM

Best to ask the professionals...

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-04-2012, 12:47 PM
AsSalaamu Alaaykum sis,

How's everything now? inshaa'Allaah the problem is fixed..

Snowflake
04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
I was wondering who dug up this old thread lol. Al hamdulillah it's fine sis. My beloved monitor didn't die after all. It was the graphics card. And guess who figured out that? Likkle old meeee... I was so proud of myself lol :p

Ğħαrєєвαħ
04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
^ lol masha'Allaah! great to hear all is well now, alhamdulilaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!