/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Danger of Cartoons

Vigno
08-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Asalamu Alekum

To begin with, cartoons these days are stupid! Sometimes too stupid that you just laugh ^ but....there are also some that are just not good at all and promote a lot of non Islamic things. From clothes to habits to beliefs etc. When I tell others, they tend to bring forward this phrase, "its just a cartoon". Well that's not true. Everything bad we watch, whether animated or real forms a threat, so yeah its annoying that when I escape from all ugly channels because of fitnah then I fall into fitnah in cartoon channels too!
I think we should take more care of what we and our children watch...
So...what do you think about it? Am I exaggerating? Or maybe you will call me a kid now coz am watching cartoons ^

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
manaal
08-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Well some cartoons, yes. It depends who the cartoons are aimed at there. There are some really un-Islamic ones, tween cartoons on channels like Nickelodeon and Disney.
I only allow my son (3 1/2 yrs old) to watch stuff like Bob the Builder, Thomas & Friends, Handy Manny and other such pre-school age cartoons they show on Cbeebees & Playhouse Disney. Good clean stuff, no violence and lovey-dovey stuff.
To me, cartoons such as Tom & Jerry and Road Runner are on the no-no list because of the violent elements. Some say I'm being a bit extreme, but I don't think so.

Bintulislam
08-21-2010, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vigno
Asalamu Alekum

To begin with, cartoons these days are stupid! Sometimes too stupid that you just laugh ^ but....there are also some that are just not good at all and promote a lot of non Islamic things. From clothes to habits to beliefs etc. When I tell others, they tend to bring forward this phrase, "its just a cartoon". Well that's not true. Everything bad we watch, whether animated or real forms a threat, so yeah its annoying that when I escape from all ugly channels because of fitnah then I fall into fitnah in cartoon channels too!
I think we should take more care of what we and our children watch...
So...what do you think about it? Am I exaggerating? Or maybe you will call me a kid now coz am watching cartoons ^
Agreed!-When I was young,We siblings used to watch Cartoon Network together where we had our favorites like Johnny Quest,Swat Cats,TMNT but then there were also cartoons like Johnny Bravo,Loony Toons(skunk ones) etc nearly all of the cartoons had something un Islamic-mostly lacking Haya,which is the most important element of Iman.

Children are pretty sharp,observant and quick learners in general and these qualities becomes extra-ordinarily enhanced if they are catching it from t.v as their favorite cartoon character does it. And if we let them watch everything that labels 'For children' without confirming it-it will definitely cause bad effect on them.Then the violence in cartoons is also an addition to this.

Vigno
08-21-2010, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
To me, cartoons such as Tom & Jerry and Road Runner are on the no-no list because of the violent elements. Some say I'm being a bit extreme, but I don't think so.
Well I don't think you are extreme, I see what you see in them, actually even Tom and Jerry does have some non Islamic things in some episodes, so I guess its good to avoid it altogether. Not sure about Road Runner though :hmm: but good job your are doing to watch over what your child watches, Jazaki Allah khiir

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vigno
08-21-2010, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bintulislam
Agreed!-When I was young,We siblings used to watch Cartoon Network together where we had our favorites like Johnny Quest,Swat Cats,TMNT but then there were also cartoons like Johnny Bravo,Loony Toons(skunk ones) etc nearly all of the cartoons had something un Islamic-mostly lacking Haya,which is the most important element of Iman.

Children are pretty sharp,observant and quick learners in general and these qualities becomes extra-ordinarily enhanced if they are catching it from t.v as their favorite cartoon character does it. And if we let them watch everything that labels 'For children' without confirming it-it will definitely cause bad effect on them.Then the violence in cartoons is also an addition to this.
Pretty well said, grabbed what I wanted to say by DANGER and more, Jazaki Allah khiir

manaal
08-21-2010, 03:32 PM
I just think the way the Cayote uses all sorts of methods to trap the Raod Runner is bit too much. I used to watch it as a kid and I never thought, "I'll get some dynamite and bomb that stupid boy who laughed at me". But kids these days are sooooo different, much sharper, aware and much less naive than we were when we were kids.

Darth Ultor
08-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey, Avatar: The Last Airbender told a very good story.

Vigno
08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
I just think the way the Cayote uses all sorts of methods to trap the Raod Runner is bit too much. I used to watch it as a kid and I never thought, "I'll get some dynamite and bomb that stupid boy who laughed at me". But kids these days are sooooo different, much sharper, aware and much less naive than we were when we were kids.
hmm...you have a point right there, I was just discussing with my sisters about it and they agree that it is too violent...I think by the time I get children inshallah there won't be any proper cartoons for my children to watch. Too bad...

Darth Ultor
08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
People should not blame TV for child violence and defiance. Parents just needs to be attentive to what kids watch. I watched the Bugs Bunny cartoons all my life and never had a violent thought in me ispired by them.

manaal
08-22-2010, 02:46 AM
^Like I said before modern children are very different to us. That's why I make sure my child does not watch mindless stuff like all the rubbish they show on nickelodeon. At least he'll learn good English (since we are not native speakers) from the ones I mentioned in my first post.

Vigno
08-22-2010, 06:20 AM
To me it is indeed TV that is to be blamed for a child's strange act of violence or disobedience, as a matter of fact, children these days do have an advanced view of things and react accordingly. I don't want my children to be like a mindless freaks following useless aspects, but rather I want them to become educated in Islam and in things that are useful in life like as already been mentioned, English.
You can't throw a mouse in a cat's cage and then watch over it, can you? Absolutely not.

Darth Ultor
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Show them Avatar: The Last Airbender. That has a great story and teaches moral values. Not Muslim values per se, but still.

czgibson
08-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Greetings,
I agree with you that kids are becoming less naive as time goes on, but surely that would make them even less likely to copy violence of the "Wile E. Coyote dynamite" kind than people of your age? Does it work like that, do you think?

I take it from what people are saying that my favourite, The Simpsons, would be right out of line...

Peace

manaal
08-25-2010, 04:25 AM
^ Yeah, you've got a point, but that's not what I meant to say.

As for the Simpsons... it's not a cartoon for kids is it? I always thought it (and family guy and south park - not seen those two though) were aimed at adults rather than kids.

manaal
08-25-2010, 04:44 AM
Yes, just checked that. Though some episodes of the Simpsons have been given U (UK) & G (US), ratings; many of them are PG & M (Aus).

czgibson
08-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Greetings,
As for the Simpsons... it's not a cartoon for kids is it? I always thought it (and family guy and south park - not seen those two though) were aimed at adults rather than kids.
You may be right. I would say South Park and Family Guy are definitely not for kids; with the Simpsons it's less clear, and probably depends on the age or maturity of the child. I know the Archbishop of Canterbury is a fan, which either says a lot about him or the programme or both. He calls it "one of the most subtle pieces of propaganda around in the cause of sense, humility and virtue."

Peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!