/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Soda Addiction

ابن آل مرة
08-22-2010, 09:25 AM
:sl:
I have a really bad addiction to Soda(pepsi,coke). I've been trying to reduce my soda intake, even Ramadan is not helping me. I usually drink one or two after Iftar. I also tried drinking water more but i still crave for pepsi, sometimes if im up at night, I drive to the store to get one at like 3am.. Does anyone else have or had this kinda addiction??? Any solutions....:hmm::hiding:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-22-2010, 10:01 AM
:wa:

Soda is very addictive. Not because it contains any addictive substances, but because it is not a thirst quencher. The carbonation causes it to induce thirst shortly after drinking it. While it almost immediately quenches thirst, that quenching only lasts until the carbon dioxide dissolved in it becomes dissolved in your blood stream and triggers a deeper thirst.

The more soda you drink, the thirstier you become. Yet, the soda seems to be the only thing to appease that thirst.

It takes a lot of self determination to break the cycle. You have to grab a glass of water instead of soda anytime you feel thirsty. After a few days the CO2 level in your blood stream will drop to a normal level and water once again will win out as being the only real thirst quencher.

Vigno
08-22-2010, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
I have a really bad addiction to Soda(pepsi,coke). I've been trying to reduce my soda intake, even Ramadan is not helping me. I usually drink one or two after Iftar. I also tried drinking water more but i still crave for pepsi, sometimes if im up at night, I drive to the store to get one at like 3am.. Does anyone else have or had this kinda addiction??? Any solutions....:hmm::hiding:
Asalamu Alekum brother

Yes I sort of had the same addiction a few years ago, everyday 2 cans or so. But then I came to know the disastrous effect they have on the bones, they make them quite fragile. Not only that, but they also have nothing useful in them but rather have similar solutions as that present in soap. So its basically like drinking soap juice.
Well if you are not disgusted of them yet then you can try doing my way of stopping them ^

Replace soda with juice, don't just drink water all the time, water is useful of course but you need to balance between juice and water (well anyway juice contains water).
Stick with juices that are sugarless but if you can't stick too much to them then have those with sugar but "try" to put them down.

That's what I did and eventually the consumption of soda dropped significantly and now its no more =)
Inshallah you will be able to do the same
Actually I was stuck with sugar full juice ^ but try to be better than me

Oh and yes, if you are so thin like me, then don't drink water while eating coz you ll get thinner (unless you want to be thinner, don't know :hmm: ).

N1LOY
08-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Try substituting with other drinks, maybe juice or coffee.

Too much of anything = not good. Tie yourself up if you can't control your greed - jk.. xD

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vigno
08-22-2010, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Soda is very addictive. Not because it contains any addictive substances, but because it is not a thirst quencher. The carbonation causes it to induce thirst shortly after drinking it. While it almost immediately quenches thirst, that quenching only lasts until the carbon dioxide dissolved in it becomes dissolved in your blood stream and triggers a deeper thirst.

The more soda you drink, the thirstier you become. Yet, the soda seems to be the only thing to appease that thirst.

It takes a lot of self determination to break the cycle. You have to grab a glass of water instead of soda anytime you feel thirsty. After a few days the CO2 level in your blood stream will drop to a normal level and water once again will win out as being the only real thirst quencher.
Subhanah Allah, super duper cool info =)
Jazaka Allah khiir

أحمد
08-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Why Coca Cola is addictive?

I only found Coke ingredients from their own website, not for Pepsi.

INGREDIENTS:
Carbonated water, sugar, colour (caramel E150d), phosphoric acid, flavourings (including caffeine)
http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/coca-cola.html
Although they have failed to write the full ingredients and flavourings; there's still enough to understand why coke can be addictive.

Brother Woodrow has already explained the first ingredient "carbonated water". I think we should take a look at caffeine, which is known to be quite addictive; the case was studied experimentally: http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page2.htm

MedicineNet is an online medical information service, with Boots Pharmacy and WebMD; their pages are considered credible information sources.

Beating Addictions offers some advice on how to overcome caffeine addiction: http://www.beatingaddictions.co.uk/B...oCaffeine.html

Coca Cola also contains Phosphoric Acid, such an important ingredient can't just be ignored. Not only is it highly addictive, but also highly acidic; resulting to breakdown of tooth enamel in the long term. http://www.dental--health.com/sodapop_teethenamel.html http://www.naturalnews.com/021774.html http://www.livescience.com/health/07...oda_teeth.html http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...addictive.html http://www.scienceprojectideas.co.uk...on-copper.html http://www.buzzle.com/articles/phosp...d-in-soda.html

Fighting Addiction
Now that you're probably scared out of your wits in regards to sodas; there is hope to cut the addiction.
http://tipnut.com/how-to-beat-the-soda-pop-addiction/

I quite like the cleaning properties of coke.
Well coca-cola seems to be one of our most favorite cola and that seems to be the general feeling for a lot of people around the world however there reaches a point for some people where they can’t seem to do without it and it turns into a cola addiction. Most health related articles and websites would strongly advise you to avoid having colas and aerated drinks as they are bad for your health or due to other reasons. However none of them actually talk about how you can go about getting rid of a cola addiction. Read on to learn about a few other uses that coca-cola has and probable that should help you open your eyes as to what your favorite beverage is actually doing to your body.

One of the most effective uses of coca-cola is to help you effectively clean and sanitize a toilet bowl. It is an amazing stain remover and works wonders on porcelain as well as china. Pour in about 250 ml of your cola into the toilet bowl and let it sit there for about an hour and then flush for a sparkling finish. How this happens is due to the high contents of citric acid which is present in the coke.

Coke can also be used for other purposes such as removing rust stains from your chrome plated bumpers and wheels. Get a piece of Reynolds wrap aluminum foil dipped in coco-cola and rumple it up. Rub the rust stained areas on the wheels with this foil and watch the rust spots melt away. The acid in the coke eats the rust away and actually dissolves it while the foil acts as a scrubber to help polish it away.

Another great use for coke is to help you clean buildup from the terminals of batteries. Simple pour a can of coke on the terminals and watch the corrosion bubble away. Or have you ever come across a bolt that has rusted and won’t open. To loosen it just dab it with a couple of drops of coke and after a few minutes try get it unscrewed. You will be amazed at how easily it opens.

Coke can be used for other household chores as well like blocking clogged drains, polishing mirrors, washing greasy clothes among other things.

Now if this isn’t enough of an eye opener to help you get rid of a coke addiction then believe me you are on the road to have major health issues in the near future.

http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/...better-health/
Another great alternative use for coke is as a weed killer. Next time you want to drink soda; think to yourself, "why would I drink a weed killer or washing up liquid?". It might help :inshallah

ابن آل مرة
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
jazakAllah khayran everyone for all the advices. may Allah bless you guys. It is a sad addiction i Know..Ima try my best not to drink any soda today inshaAllah.

Salahudeen
08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
My mum has this addiction and my cat has it :hmm: When she opens her fast she drinks pepsi and it really anoys me, these drinks also have caffeine in them and this is addictive too, when you stop the soda you will feel tired and lethargic because you're not getting the caffeine boost and this is another reason why you'll crave it.

From what I've learnt in life is that it's not good to have an addiction of any kind.

Vigno
08-22-2010, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
My mum has this addiction and my cat has it :hmm: When she opens her fast she drinks pepsi and it really anoys me, these drinks also have caffeine in them and this is addictive too, when you stop the soda you will feel tired and lethargic because you're not getting the caffeine boost and this is another reason why you'll crave it.

From what I've learnt in life is that it's not good to have an addiction of any kind.
Your cat?! Now that's something! What are you going to do, give it juice? ^

~Raindrop~
08-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Great advice, there's not much that I can add to it.
Willpower is the only way to combat it.
I got over my Red Bull addiction completely due to the help of sis Lily. :statisfie To think I was on (a minimum of) 3 cans a day.....:skeleton:
May Allah SWT grant her immense reward. Ameen.

Salahudeen
08-22-2010, 03:51 PM
How long does it take for an addiction to wear off when you deprive yourself off it? say for example you're addicted to pepsi and you get cravings for it, how long do you have to deprive yourself of pepsi before you no longer get cravings for it. Is there a set period for everything or does it vary depending upon the addiction?

format_quote Originally Posted by Vigno
Your cat?! Now that's something! What are you going to do, give it juice? ^
Yeah I'm gonna give it water based juice instead inshallah.

Vigno
08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
How long does it take for an addiction to wear off when you deprive yourself off it? say for example you're addicted to pepsi and you get cravings for it, how long do you have to deprive yourself of pepsi before you no longer get cravings for it. Is there a set period for everything or does it vary depending upon the addiction?
Well I think that depends a lot on psychological power and not just the physical one. It took me no time to stop pepsi but to stop all soda took me a few weeks I think. According to me, it's not an addiction but rather a habit that your body gets used to, say no to yourself and you are good to go Inshallah.

noorseeker
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
ive got a orange juice addiction recently,

Does anyone know if too much juice is bad,

Soulja Girl
08-22-2010, 06:18 PM

my cat has it :hmm:
^Your cat? ^o) 3ajeeb stuffs!

Addictions are normal.. I have a Ribena addiction :popcorn:

Cabdullahi
08-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Robinsons summer fruits

Vigno
08-22-2010, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
ive got a orange juice addiction recently,

Does anyone know if too much juice is bad,
Fresh orange juice?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
08-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum

Like a brother mentioned too much of anything is bad!

Brother Woodrow is correct, it increases more thirst and no benefit in it whatsoever. Everytime i would drink any soda/fizzy drink would just make me more thirsty.

Alhamdulilaah Water is the healthiest and better.

And like sistah Aisha said Willpower is needed to combat this problem, indeed if it has no benefit leave it!

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

cat eyes
08-23-2010, 01:41 AM
it takes away all your energy also, you feel like you have loads energy at first but then u end up losing all the energy and more after a bit..

Soulja Girl
08-23-2010, 01:44 AM

^You end up feelin drained out & like sis muslimah 4 life said, it does make you more thirsty.. Stick wiv water, make a constant habit of drinkin water, keep a water bottle if you have to 24/7

format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Does anyone know if too much juice is bad
^If you tawkin bou Tropicana Orange Juice then no :shade:

tango92
08-23-2010, 03:24 AM
guys youve got it wrong, pepsi is the greatest black drink on the market :)

unless you drink it with spicy food :(

or unless its warm :(

or if its too fizzy :(

i like mine just right:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

ابن آل مرة
08-23-2010, 04:40 AM
i went without one all day today alhamdulillah...i hope i can go without pepsi for a week..make dua for me inshaAllah jazakAllah khayran :sl:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!