/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Have Been/Has Been

~Raindrop~
08-24-2010, 03:04 AM
:sl:

Somebody (she's not a native speaker) asked me what the difference is between has been and have been. And when you would use each.

I always thought:

He has
She has
I have
We have
They have

I tried to explain thoroughly without much success. Can somebody simplify these please?
And objects- how would you know what to use for them? :exhausted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Soulja Girl
08-24-2010, 03:22 AM

English is a funny language so they say :><:

:wa:

أحمد
08-24-2010, 03:24 AM

"Have been" is used in first or second person or third person plural; i.e. I have been, You have been, They have been.

"Has been" is used in third person singular only; i.e. He has been, She has been, It has been.

أحمد
08-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Further explanation:

"Have been" is a phrase, consisting of the traditional plural of respect; this is always applied grammatically in first and second person form. Its use for third person plural is used for plural of number. This however can adapt the plural of respect to third person singular; in such case you would have to construct an implicit form, e.g. he would have been late for lesson.

"Has been" can also be used for collective plurals, e.g. this sequence of events has been known for its catastrophic effects on society.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أحمد
08-24-2010, 04:21 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

More than funny, its a weak language; it can be broken almost anywhere, and bridged almost anywhere.

manaal
08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
English grammar is very very confusing. It's very difficult t understand technical grammar doesn't it. I really see no point in learning stuff like auxiliary verbs, relative pronouns (and why it's different from a conjunction) etc, as long as I know that I'm using proper grammar. But of course as a result, anyone who reads my writing would immediately guess that i'm not a speaker..

Cabdullahi
08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
You get some english people saying ''i has been''

manaal
08-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Hmmmmm, sometimes I feel that Asians speak better English than some English people do.

Cabdullahi
08-24-2010, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Hmmmmm, sometimes I feel that Asians speak better English than some English people do.
are you wery sure? this is vat i vas thinking also...

i need to buy new microvawe

my uncle drives a wan

Danah
08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

Agreed!! sometimes you need to look and concentrate more on some words to realize how funny it is (=

format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed Waheed
More than funny, its a weak language; it can be broken almost anywhere, and bridged almost anywhere.

Agreed too! My father was studying English in University and the most thing that irritate him about English these days is telling him about the daily English that is recently used by teenagers and youngsters who invent shortcuts in (internet, SMS....etc) and play with the language as they wish

Way easier than Arabic and its grammar

أحمد
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
You get some english people saying ''i has been''
Indeed, I has been known as the ninth letter of the English alphabet. ;D

أحمد
08-24-2010, 02:23 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Agreed too! My father was studying English in University and the most thing that irritate him about English these days is telling him about the daily English that is recently used by teenagers and youngsters who invent shortcuts in (internet, SMS....etc) and play with the language as they wish

My knowledge of English was very weak when I finished school. In fact, I didn't get anywhere with English; until I studied Arabic Grammar. I started with a handful of books and lessons with Dr. Ibrahim Surty. He uses grammatical referencing to describe words, phrases and sentence structures; I found this of great help to start studying English from books of grammar.

~Raindrop~
08-24-2010, 02:53 PM

my uncle drives a wan

Now vat is wrong vith thet? His wan is a big Masaydee.

Seriously, though. English is crazy.

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
That's soo true. I feel as though Arabic grammmar always has some little brothers and sisters popping out of nowhere. I can never completely say: I know ALL the rules of Sarf and Nahw. :exhausted

manaal
08-25-2010, 03:44 AM

my uncle drives a wan
We English don't speak English that good innit?

Ever watched an episode of Eastenders?

Danah
08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
I can never completely say: I know ALL the rules of Sarf and Nahw. :exhausted
That is a very dangerous statement that even we Arabic native speakers can't say it easily :exhausted

you are talking about Nahw dearie, not only "she", "he" , and "it" :P

أحمد
08-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Furthermore, "had" is used for perfect past tense, while "have" is past and present OR present and future (imperfect tense).

It makes sense to say "two days ago _____
1. I had a toothache.
2. You had been playing hockey.
3. He had been given a promotion.
4. They had returned home.

It makes sense to say "since yesterday _____
1. I have been taking pain killers.
2. You have been revising for exams.

It does NOT make sense to say "two days ago _____
1. I have a toothache.
2. You have been playing hockey.
3. He have been given a promotion.
4. They have returned home.

It does NOT make sense to say "since yesterday _____
1. I had been taking pain killers.
2. You had been revising for exams.

Abdul-Raouf
08-25-2010, 07:01 PM

my uncle drives a wan

Me..No English..Me..bad English.Me little little like.. you how?..you knowaa...you go ...my talk ..bad talk. :( ..yes..my country.. english ruled....but no english...but..more learn...more talk...congrats... me going..you type. Taa taa bye :)

I have heard.. ppl speaking in that^^^ flow too... :)

manaal
08-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Furthermore, "had" is used for perfect past tense, while "have" is past and present OR present and future (imperfect tense).

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! The grammar police is here!!

أحمد
08-25-2010, 09:19 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by manaal

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! The grammar police is here!!
"The grammar police is here" is used as a collective unit reference, while "the grammar police are here" is used for individuals belonging to the unit. For singular entity; either "policeman" or any such equivalent words may be used.

manaal
08-30-2010, 11:25 PM
^ I cannot, at this moment, think of a comeback good enough to counter what has been said above.

Karl
08-31-2010, 12:40 AM
I think the best way to learn English is by repitition of phrases, basically like a baby learns. The big problem is that the brain soaks up knowledge the best and fastest while very young eg under five years of age. So unless you are very intelligent you will find it incredibly difficult to speak English well if you start learning after this.
English is a mongrel barbaric language that absorbs words from all over the world and the colonials have made it even worse eg yankees and southern rednecks, Australians etc. But to be fair a lot of the English people sound as though they have been labotomized. And the upper classes sound as if their tongue is paralized.
At the end of the day no one really cares how badly you speak English, only annoying academic prats.
The highest classes of England only use English as a casual language and to communicate to the plebians.

أحمد
08-31-2010, 03:45 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
I think the best way to learn English is by repitition of phrases, basically like a baby learns. The big problem is that the brain soaks up knowledge the best and fastest while very young eg under five years of age. So unless you are very intelligent you will find it incredibly difficult to speak English well if you start learning after this.
English is a mongrel barbaric language that absorbs words from all over the world and the colonials have made it even worse eg yankees and southern rednecks, Australians etc. But to be fair a lot of the English people sound as though they have been labotomized. And the upper classes sound as if their tongue is paralized.
At the end of the day no one really cares how badly you speak English, only annoying academic prats.
The highest classes of England only use English as a casual language and to communicate to the plebians.
There's more assessment on written language than spoken in academia, and speaking isn't assessed on accent. Its understandable to ignore certain rules of grammar in speech, but writing isn't the same; even if its not "formal" writing. http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ngy-innit.html

'Abd Al-Maajid
08-31-2010, 05:02 AM

my uncle drives a wan
LOL That was funny. But I have seen some native English speakers making these kind of silly spelling mistakes too...

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Me..No English..Me..bad English.Me little little like.. you how?..you knowaa...you go ...my talk ..bad talk. :( ..yes..my country.. english ruled....but no english...but..more learn...more talk...congrats... me going..you type. Taa taa bye :)

I have heard.. ppl speaking in that^^^ flow too... :)
LOL this is funny too.

I am expecting zAk here...:p

ابن آل مرة
08-31-2010, 09:47 AM
it gets annoying when people say " we was gona go" or " they was supposed to come"..sign of ignorance for people who are supposed to speak english properly.

~Raindrop~
08-31-2010, 09:50 AM
^Agreed. It's hugely irritating. Almost as bad is, "I were sayin' to him, like, don't do that, like..." :heated: What's with all the likes?

ابن آل مرة
08-31-2010, 09:55 AM
like totally^..

ardianto
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Anyone here speaks English worse than me ?.

czgibson
08-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
it gets annoying when people say " we was gona go" or " they was supposed to come"..sign of ignorance for people who are supposed to speak english properly.
Not necessarily ignorance; it's more likely to be simply a habit. It's down to the dialect that people speak, and to some extent who they're speaking to. Southern Standard English is what has been erected as "the correct way" to speak English, but we have to accept it's not the only way. If people can communicate effectively to each other using dialect-based grammar then the language has still done its job. There comes a point where we could drive ourselves mad trying to persuade everybody to speak with standard grammar - it's simply not going to happen. On the other hand, if you're attending a job interview and your dialect is likely to affect your chances of success (for whatever reason), then you clearly have a choice to make.

What's with all the likes?
Yes, what is with all the "likes"? Since, as in the example you gave, it adds no meaning to the sentence, it must be a kind of conversational placeholder, used while the brain thinks of the next words to string together in the hope of reaching the full stop. Like "umm..." or "er...". I'm very proud of having successfully taught many people to recover from their addiction to "like"!

Peace

marwen
08-31-2010, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Yes. I am speak english worser than your :X

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Yes, I do....

~Raindrop~
09-01-2010, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Yes, what is with all the "likes"? Since, as in the example you gave, it adds no meaning to the sentence, it must be a kind of conversational placeholder, used while the brain thinks of the next words to string together in the hope of reaching the full stop. Like "umm..." or "er...". I'm very proud of having successfully taught many people to recover from their addiction to "like"!

Peace
How does one achieve such a seemingly unattainable goal, one wonders? *Posh nasal accent*

Karl
09-01-2010, 12:56 AM

There's more assessment on written language than spoken in academia, and speaking isn't assessed on accent. Its understandable to ignore certain rules of grammar in speech, but writing isn't the same; even if its not "formal" writing. http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...ngy-innit.html

That's true, especially if you are dealing with art subjects, and law is the most fastidious about language, one must have perfect English skills to succeed in law. But science subjects are not so worried about the use of the English language as long as you can get your facts and answers across in an understandable manner. Strangely music is considered an art even though it relies on pure mathematics and acoustics, maybe the art is the ability of the composer and musician to move the audiance.

ardianto
09-01-2010, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Yes. I am speak english worser than your :X
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid

Yes, I do....
At least I am not the worst. ;D

Okay, I have a question.

From my knowledge, "Have" is used for "I", "You", "We", "They".
"Has" is used for "He", "She", "It".

"Do/Don't" is used for "I', "You", "We", "They".
"Does/Doesn't" is used for "He", "She", "It".

But last year, a member from US, Podarok, written "Chinese doesn't have alphabets".
Is it correct ?. Why not "Don't have" or "Doesn't has" ?.

Beardo
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
^ It's sometimes easier if you break the contraction.

"Chinese does not have alphabets."
"Chinese do not have alphabets."

~Raindrop~
09-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Could you say: "Chinese does not have an alphabet"? Just wondering...

abdussattar
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
You cannot say "an alphabet" as 'alphabet' is the set of 'a,b,c,d,....z'

'a' 'b' 'c' are individually called letters.

If you say 'Chinese' referring to the language, your statement can be correct if you remove the 'an'

And if you say 'Chinese' referring to the people of China, 'does' becomes 'do', and the 'an' should be removed.

~Raindrop~
09-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Er...Right. Okay. Thank you.

*pretending to understand*.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-01-2010, 08:27 PM
LOL We've got some good Students of English here on board...;D

czgibson
09-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Greetings,

Despite the good efforts on display here, there has been some incorrect information in this thread. This is only natural, as English is a maddeningly difficult language to use. I'll try to clear up some of the points on this page:

But last year, a member from US, Podarok, written "Chinese doesn't have alphabets".
Is it correct ?. Why not "Don't have" or "Doesn't has" ?.
The sentence as you have given it is not strictly wrong, but it could be worded better to make the meaning clear.

If "Chinese" refers to a language, it would be better to write: "Chinese doesn't have an alphabet", to indicate that it doesn't use any alphabet at all. "Chinese" as a language is a noun - it is a thing. In sentences, single nouns behave like he, she or it. He, she or it are normally followed by "has" in the present tense. However, when the sentence contains a negative (in this case "doesn't"), we write "doesn't have", not "doesn't has".

If the intended meaning is "The Chinese people", then "don't have" is correct.

Could you say: "Chinese does not have an alphabet"? Just wondering...
Yes, this is correct.

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
You cannot say "an alphabet" as 'alphabet' is the set of 'a,b,c,d,....z'
The word "alphabet" is a noun, so it is perfectly OK to put "an" in front of it.

The alphabet that we use in English is called the Roman or Latin alphabet; there are many others. Greek, Arabic and Russian use different alphabets, for example.

Peace

Muslim Woman
09-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Salaam

- how would you know what to use for them? :exhausted

here is links to improve English .

http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids.htm

In this site , u will find lessons in English , Arabic and Farsi .

http://go4english.com/

Welcome
أهلاً بك في موقع تعليم الإنجليزية للدول العربية المقدم من المجلس الثقافي البريطاني -go4english.com . يمكنك النقر على الروابط الموجودة في الإعلان المتحرك الموجود على اليسار لتذهب إلى القسم المفضل لديك.
لا تنسي ارسال تعليقاتك إلى feedback@go4english.com .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!