/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Itekaaf

abdussattar
08-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Inahallah, I have decided to sit Itekaaf for the last 10 days of Ramadhan, and this is my fist time so I would really like to know some things about it...

1) Can you go home and perform ghusl on friday?
2) Can you change clothes in Itekaaf?
3) My exams are about to start on the 14th, so can I read for my exams too? (I know that Itekaaf is for the worship of Allah, I will spend maximum amount of time in worship, but can i read a little?)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vigno
08-26-2010, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Inahallah, I have decided to sit Itekaaf for the last 10 days of Ramadhan, and this is my fist time so I would really like to know some things about it...

3) My exams are about to start on the 14th, so can I read for my exams too? (I know that Itekaaf is for the worship of Allah, I will spend maximum amount of time in worship, but can i read a little?)
Asalamu Alekum

That's very good brother =)
About your questions there is a simple answer, you can leave whenever there is a deep need of something. So you can leave for ghusl whenever you want or change your clothes and study if you want, all these are needs, just don't leave for no reason. And Allah knows best.
Jazaka Allah khiir

abdussattar
08-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Jazakallah for the reply

Hamza Asadullah
08-26-2010, 02:23 PM

:sl:

I'thikaf frequantly asked questions answered:

Q. What is Aitekaf ?
A. Staying in a mosque, where Jama'at is said, for devotion and prayers, is called Aitekaf.

Q. Why only staying in the mosque is taken to be 'ibadat?
A. When a man leaves his pleasures, recreations and work and stays in a mosque just for Allah's pleasure, this certainly is an 'ibadat.

Q. Where should a woman do Aitekaf ?
A. At a place in her own house where she says her prayers, she should do the Niyyat for Aitekaf and remain there. She must not move from that place to courtyard or to other part of the house, except when the goes to attend the call of nature. If there is no particular place for saying prayers in the house, she should, before beginning the Aitekaf, fix a place for that, and should observe the Aitekaf there.

Q. What are the benefits of Aitekaf ?
A. These are : (1) one doing Aitekaf dedicates his whole being and time to the "ibadat of Allah (2) he remains safe from sins and evils of worldly life. (3) he gets the blessing of prayers all the time he is in Aitekaf, because in Aitekaf a person is always eagerly waiting to join prayers and Jama'at. (4) he is like angels who worship and remember Allah all the time. (5) a mosque is Allah's house, so a Mo'takif (one who sits for Aitekaf) is Allah's neighbor, and his guest.

Q. How many types of Aitekaf are there ?
A. Three types : Wajib, Sunnat-e-Maukkida and Mustahab.

Q. Which Aitekaf is Wajib ?
A. Aitekaf-e-Nazr is Wajib, i.e., Aitekaf as a promise for fulfillment of some desire. For example, somebody promises to sit in Aitekaf and says that if a certain work is completed, he would observe Aitekaf of two or three days for Allah.

Q. Which Aitekaf is Sunnat-e-Maukkida ?
A. Aitekaf in the last ten days of Ramadan is Sunnat-e-Maukkida it starts from the evening of the 20th Ramadan after the sunset and ends as soon as the 'Eid moon is seen. The Sunnat will be fulfilled whether the moon is seen on the 29th or 30th. This Aitekaf is Sunnat-e-Maukkida and Kifaya, that is, if a few people do it, the rest are absolved of its responsibility.

Q. Which Aitekaf is Mustahab ?
A. Except Wajib and Sunnat-e-Maukkida all the rest of Aitekaf are Mustahab. Aitekaf can be done in all the days throughout the year.

Q. What are the conditions for Aitekaf ?
A. (1) to be a Muslim. (2) to be free of menstruation and Hadath-e-Akbar. (3) to be sans (4) to do Niyyat. (5) to sit for Aitekaf in a mosque where Jama'at is said. These conditions are necessary for all sorts of Aitekaf, but for a'itikaf-e-wajib fasting is also a condition.

The Mustahibbat (Recommendations) of Aitekaf

Q. What things are Mustahibbat in Aitekaf ?

A. (1) to do virtuous and good deeds (2) recitation of the holy Quran. (3) reciting Durood Shareef. (4) reading and teaching of religious books. (5) to give advice and sermons. (6) Aitekaf in Jame'a mosque.

The timing of Aitekaf

Q. What is the minimum period for Aitekaf ?
A. It is necessary to keep fast in the a'itikaf-e-wajib, so the least time for it is a day. Thus to vow for Aitekaf of less than a day, for a few hours or for the night, is not right. The time limit for Aitekaf which is Sunnat-e-Maukkida is the last 10 days of Ramadan. For a'itikaf-e-nafil there is no limit. It may last for 5 or 10 minutes, too. If one when entering the mosque makes the Niyyat for Aitekaf each time. It will bring lots of blessings for several Aitekaf each day.

Things which are permitted during Aitekaf

Q. On what grounds is a Mo'itakif allowed to come out of a mosque?
A. (1) for Toilet. (2) for Fard bathing. (3) going out for Friday prayers at zawal (when the sun crosses the meridian) or to reach Jame'a mosque at least for such a time in advance that four Rakat of Sunnat can be said before khutba. (3) to come out beyond the area of mosque to say Adhan.

Q. How far one is allowed to go for the call of nature?
A. It is right to go up to his own house at whatever the distance it may be. If one has two houses, it is necessary to do to the nearest one from the place of Aitekaf.

Q. Is it right for Mo'takif to come out for the Janaza prayers?
A. If he did Niyyat at the time of the commencement of Aitekaf that he would go out for Janaza prayers, then it will be allowed, but if he did not do the Niyyat it will not be allowed.

Q. Which other things are allowed in Aitekaf ?
A. To eat, drink, sleep in the mosque or to buy a thing of necessity if it is not available in the mosque or to marry, is allowed.

The Makruhat (Reprehensible Acts) and Mufsidat (Acts which break) in Aitekaf

Q. What are the Makroohat (Reprehensible Acts) in Aitekaf ?
A. (1) to be absolutely silent and to consider it as an 'ibadat. (2) to buy or sell things brought inside the mosque. (3) to quarrel or talk nonsense.

Q. What are the Mufsidaat (Actions which break) in Aitekaf ?
A. (1) coming out of mosque knowingly or unknowingly without an excuse. (2) sexual intercourse during Aitekaf. (3) to go out for certain reason and to stay unnecessarily for a long time, e.g., if one goes for the call of nature but remains at home for some time after answering to the call of nature. (4) coming out of the mosque due to fear or disease. In all these conditions, when it becomes Fasid ?

Q. Is Qada (making up) of Aitekaf necessary, when it becomes Fasid ?
A. The Qada of A'itikaf-e-wajib is Wajib but for Sunnat or Nafil Qada is not necessary.

Source: http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/faqait.htm

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdussattar
08-28-2010, 08:17 AM
Can you leave the mosque to get food?

Hamza Asadullah
08-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Can you leave the mosque to get food?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, you can leave the mosque to relieve yourself and to perform ghusl, wudhu etc and you can also leave for food and drink but it is preferred not to so it is far better if you organise someone to drop the food off for you for that is what most people who do itikaf do. Thy can either come in or give it to you through a window or give it to someone to give it to you etc

The main thing is that you remain in the Masjid for as long as possible and only going out of it if it is out of dire necessity.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Somia
09-05-2010, 06:25 PM
thanks to you 4 this benefitable information
you save my time coz i have decided to search for more information about Itikaaf
thank you all

Hamza Asadullah
09-05-2010, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Somia
thanks to you 4 this benefitable information
you save my time coz i have decided to search for more information about Itikaaf
thank you all
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb please remember us in your dua's.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!