/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which sahabi?

Insecured soul
08-28-2010, 04:59 AM
Can you provide me the name of the sahaba who had a karamat and he was able to walk on water with his horse? i guess it was abu lala al hadramau but someone told me it was saad bin abi waqqas

can anyone confirm for me please? provide hadeeth quotations if u can

jazakumullahu khairan

salaam alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
08-28-2010, 12:24 PM
:sl:

Hadhrat Abu Hurayrah RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu reports, "I followed Alaa bin Hadhrami RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu when Rasulullaah :saws1: dispatched him to Bahrain. I witnessed three incidents with him and I cannot tell which of them was most astonishing. When we stood by the shore on one occasion, he said, 'Recite Bismillaah and lunge into the ocean.' We recited Bismillaah, lunged in and crossed the sea without even the hooves of our animals getting wet. On the return journey, we had to pass through an arid plain and had no water with us. When we brought this to his attention, he performed two Rakaahs salaah and then made du'aa. There suddenly appeared a cloud the size of a shield, which rained down so heavily on us that we had enough water to drink and to give to our animals. When he passed away, we buried him in some soft sand, but after travelling a short distance, it occurred to us that wild animals would (be able to easily dig up the grave and) eat up the body. We therefore returned, but did not find his body in the grave." [Narrated by Abu Nu'aym in his Hilya pg. 207]

Hadhrat Anas RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu once said, "I have witnessed three occurrences in this Ummah that would have been unmatched by any other nation had they occurred amongst the Bani Israa'eel ..." The narration then continues to the point where Hadhrat Anas RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu says, "Umar RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu then prepared an army and appointed Alaa bin Hadhrami RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu as its commander. I was also one of the soldiers of this army and when we reached the place where we were to fight, we discovered that the enemy had been forewarned about our arrival. They (fled the area and also) obliterated every sign of water, because of which we and our animals experienced tremendous difficulty.

It was an extremely hot Friday and as soon as the sun had crossed its meridian. Alaa RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu led us in two Rakaahs of salaah. Thereafter, he stretched his arms out to make du'aa (for rain). We could see nothing in the sky but he had hardly lowered his hands when Allaah sent a wind and formed a cloud. The cloud rained so much that even the ponds and valleys were filled with water. We were able to drink water and give our animals to drink as well.

When we caught up with the enemy, they had already crossed the gulf and reached an island. Standing on the shore of the gulf, Alaa RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu said:
يا على يا عظيم يا حليم يا كريم

Thereafter, he instructed us saying, 'Cross over with the name of Allaah!' We then crossed over without even the hooves of our animals getting wet. It was only a short while later that we managed to attack the enemy on the island. We killed many of them, took many prisoners and many slaves as well. We then returned to the shore of the gulf, Alaa RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu said the same words and again we crossed over without even the hooves of our animals getting wet ..." The narration still continues further. [Bayhaqi]

Another narration quotes the du'aa of Hadhrat Alaa RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu in the following words:
يا عليم يا حليم يا على يا عظيم إنا عبيدك وفى سبيلك تقاتل عدوك اسقنا غيثا نشرب منه ونتوضا فاذا تركناه فلا تجعل لاحد فيه نصيبا غيرنا
'O The All Knowing! O Most Forbearing! O The Most Exalted! O The Most High! We are Your servants. We are out in Your path, fighting Your enemy. Shower rains on us so that we may drink from it and make wudhu with it. And when we leave, do not grant anyone else a share from it.'
[Bukhaari in his Taareekh]

AabiruSabeel
08-28-2010, 12:47 PM
The incident of crossing the river/sea on foot occured with more than one Sahabi (and their army). Here's the Hadith about Sa'd RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu:

Hadhrat Ibn Rufayl reports that the town of Bahurseer was on the nearer bank of the Tigris River. When Hadhrat S'ad RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu set up camp there, he searched for boats to take the Muslim army across the river to the town on the opposite bank. He was however unable to find any and discovered that the Persians had assembled all the boats together and taken them away. He therefore stayed on in Bahurseer for several days of the month of Safar. Although the Muslims expressed their willingness to cross the river (without boats), he refused to allow it, fearing for their safety. In fact, even when some Kuffaar pointed out to him a crossing point in the river that would take them to the centre of the valley, Hadhrat S'ad RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu was doubtful and refused to act.
In the meantime, the water level was rising. Hadhrat S'ad RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu then saw a dream that the horses of the Muslims dived into the water and crossed over the river even though the water level had risen extremely high. The interpretation of this dream made him resolve to cross the river. He therefore gathered the Muslims together and after duly praising Allaah, he said, 'Your enemy has been saved from you because of this river that prevents you from reaching them. They however are at liberty to get to you whenever they wish by boarding their boats and attacking you. You have of course the advantage of not having to worry about an attack from behind. I have therefore resolved to cross the river to get to them." The Muslims said in one voice, "May Allaah grant you and us the resolve to do what is right. Let us do it."

Hadhrat S'ad RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu then prepared the army for the crossing. He first made an announcement saying, 'Who will spearhead the crossing for us and secure the gorge for us so that the others may join them there and so that the enemy cannot prevent them from reaching the opposite bank?" Hadhrat Aasim bin Amr RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu volunteered for the task and he was followed by another six hundred brave men.

Hadhrat S'ad RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu appointed Hadhrat Aasim as their commander and he led them to the bank of the Tigris. Standing at the bank, Hadhrat Aasim RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu said, "Who will volunteer with me to secure the gorge from the enemy?" Sixty of them volunteered and Hadhrat Aasim RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu divided them into two groups; one group on mares and the other on stallions so that the swimming would be easier for the horses. They then plunged into the Tigris. When Hadhrat S'ad RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu saw Hadhrat Aasim at the gorge, ready to give them cover, he permitted the rest of the army to dive into the water. He instructed them to recite:
نستعين بالله ونتوكل عليه وحسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل ولا حول ولا قوة إلا بالله العلى العظيم
"We seek help from Allaah and rely only on Him. Allaah is Sufficient for us and is the best of Defenders. There is no power or might except with Allaah The Elevated, the Most High"

The bulk of the army waded behind each other over the deep waters, even as the Tigris was frothing with foam and was black in colour (because of its depth and swift currents), The Muslims were even busy talking to each other as they crossed in pairs, just as people would talk to each other while walking over dry land. They caught the Persians totally by surprise by doing what they did not expect at all. The Persians were therefore forced to abandon the place in a hurry and did not even have time to take their belonging with them. It was in the month of Safar during the year 16 A.H. that the Muslims entered the town and took possession of all of the three billion left behind in the rooms of the Emperor and all that the Emperor Sheenvay and those after him had amassed.
[Abu Nu'aym in his Dalaa'il (Pg.208). The narration is also reported in the Taareekh of Tabari (Vol. 3 Pg. 119) and in Al Bidaayah wan Nihaayah (Vol. 7 Pg. 64).]

Insecured soul
08-28-2010, 06:56 PM
jazakallah brother

so it happend both of the sahabi

I would also like to have such books (bukhari, tirmidhi) as a reference, where can i find?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
08-28-2010, 09:49 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Insecured soul
I would also like to have such books (bukhari, tirmidhi) as a reference, where can i find?
The above ahadith were copied from the book Hayatus Sahabah. The references given are as mentioned in the footnotes of Hayatus Sahabah. You can find downloadable links for this book here: http://www.islamicboard.com/importan...ml#post1333992

abdussattar
08-29-2010, 01:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
When he passed away, we buried him in some soft sand, but after travelling a short distance, it occurred to us that wild animals would (be able to easily dig up the grave and) eat up the body. We therefore returned, but did not find his body in the grave.
Who passed away?

AabiruSabeel
08-29-2010, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Who passed away?
The passage speaks about 'Alaa bin Hadhrami RadhiyAllahu 'Anhu. It must be him who passed away.

Insecured soul
08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel

The above ahadith were copied from the book Hayatus Sahabah. The references given are as mentioned in the footnotes of Hayatus Sahabah. You can find downloadable links for this book here: http://www.islamicboard.com/importan...ml#post1333992
Jazakallah brother

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!