/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to greet Eid mubarak?

Insecured soul
08-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Salam alaikum

Some people hug 3 times while wishing eid mubarak and some does it only once

What is the correct way of greeting Eid mubarak?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
08-30-2010, 03:50 AM
Very good quesiton. I'm also going to await an answer.

I honestly think the 3 hugs is a little annoying. Some people lose count and do 2 or 4 instead. :l

My personal preference: A handshake, and ONE hug at most.

Snowflake
08-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Good question!

Personally, I don't like the three-hug-greeting. It's like an ant dance, and a bad ant dance at that as you bump heads and crick necks. It doesn't signify anything, and it takes ages if there's lots of people to greet. One hug from the heart is better than three customary ones just for the sake of it.

ابن آل مرة
08-30-2010, 05:46 AM
Praise be to Allaah.
It was narrated that that Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) used to congratulate one another on the occasion of Eid by saying Taqabbal Allaahu minna wa minkum (May Allaah accept (this worship) from us and from you). It was narrated that Jubayr ibn Nufayr said: When the companions of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) met one another on the day of Eid, they would say to one another: “Taqabbal Allaahu minna wa mink (May Allaah accept (this worship) from us and from you).” Al-Haafiz said: Its isnaad is hasan.
Imam Ahmad (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: There is nothing wrong with one man saying to another on the day of Eid: Taqabbal Allaahu minna wa mink (May Allaah accept (this worship) from us and from you). This was narrated by Ibn Qudaamah in al-Mughni.
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah was asked in al-Fataawa al-Kubra (2/228): Does the common Eid greeting that is on people’s lips – “Eid Mubaarak” etc – have any basis in sharee’ah or not? If there is a basis for that in sharee’ah, what should we say?
He replied:
With regard to the greeting on the day of Eid, which people say to one another when meeting after the prayer, “Taqabbal Allaahu minna wa minkum wa ahaalahu Allaah ‘alayka (May Allaah accept (this worship) from us and from you and may you live to see another Eid)” etc, this was narrated from a number of the Sahaabah who used to do that and allow others to do so too, and from the Imams such as Imam Ahmad. But Ahmad said: I do not initiate this greeting with anyone. But if someone greets me in this manner I return his greeting. That is because returning a greeting is obligatory, but initiating this greeting is not a Sunnah that is enjoined, but neither is it forbidden. The one who does it has an example and the one who does not do it also has an example. And Allaah knows best.
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked: What is the ruling on offering Eid greetings and is there a particular wording to be used?
He replied:
It is permissible to offer greetings and congratulations on Eid, and there is no specific greeting. Rather the greetings that people customarily use are permissible so long as no sin is involved.
He also said:
Some of the Sahaabah offered greetings and congratulations on the occasion of Eid. Even if we assume that they did not do that, it has now become something customary that people are used to doing, congratulating one another on the occasion of Eid and on completing the fast and qiyaam.
And he was asked: what is the ruling on shaking hands, embracing and congratulating one another after the Eid prayer?
He replied:
There is nothing wrong with these things, because people do not do these things as acts of worship intended to draw them closer to Allaah, rather they do them because they are customary, and to honour and show respect to one another. So long as there is nothing in sharee’ah to indicate that a custom is forbidden, then the basic principle is that it is permissible.
Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 16/208-210.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
manaal
08-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have understood that the three hug thing is an Arab tradition, and used only for good-byes, not hellos. Muslims from around the world who perform hajj have encountered this and have brought the tradition home and use it as a hello as well.

As the for the hellos, Arabs hug/kiss only twice. They make the left side hug a little longer to those they love more.

Innocent Soul
08-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Assalamualaikum
I feel a bit funny reading this thread but I think that we can wish in any way. I think the best way is one handshake and a hug. :)

'Abd Al-Maajid
08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Very good quesiton. I'm also going to await an answer.

I honestly think the 3 hugs is a little annoying. Some people lose count and do 2 or 4 instead. :l

My personal preference: A handshake, and ONE hug at most.
LOL, you are funny, Rashad.

I too prefer a handshake and ONE big hug which would last three small hugs...;D;D;D

ardianto
08-30-2010, 05:36 PM

(picture : sman10malang.com)

No handshake, no hand touch between man and woman

piXie
08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
Personally, I don't like the three-hug-greeting.
Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to give me three hugs. So long as they are wearing deodorant. :hmm:

Insecured soul
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
Assalamualaikum
I feel a bit funny reading this thread but I think that we can wish in any way. I think the best way is one handshake and a hug. :)
Its isnt funny, and yes u can wish anyhow u like but i just wanted to know if we have a way of greeting which our prophet pbuh and sahaba RA's followed

i too think a handshake and one hug seems nice, btw good information by brother ahmed m. and others

salaam alaikum warehmatullah

Mujahideen92
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM
Hahaha, i just go along with it. People here do 3 hugs

Abdul Wahid
08-31-2010, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
Personally, I wouldn't mind if someone wanted to give me three hugs. So long as they are wearing deodorant. :hmm:
Lol. Everyone on Eid day has their best clothes on and do their best to smell nice on this occassion. So you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah I prefer the handshake but 1 hug is not too bad. That's what I do. 1 hug and a handshake. It's just some people grab you hard after the 1st hug and you get ready to let go but the other person has other ideas. He wants 2 more hugs. Finally a handshake. Then a strange look at each other:hmm:

ardianto
08-31-2010, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mujahideen92
Hahaha, i just go along with it. People here do 3 hugs
Are they American Arabs ?.

ابن آل مرة
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
what i dislike the most is "desi" hugs.. seriously, when some of them hug you, its like you are not even hugging,i mean like its not a manly hug!

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-01-2010, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
what i dislike the most is "desi" hugs.. seriously, when some of them hug you, its like you are not even hugging,i mean like its not a manly hug!
Then what's a manly hug? Squeeze the other person's guts out?

abdussattar
09-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah, the type when they knock your breath out.

My uncle does that and.. its surprisingly sudden.. and I always end up giving a Small shrill cry which i simply cant control...

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-01-2010, 12:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar

My uncle does that and.. its surprisingly sudden.. and I always end up giving a Small shrill cry which i simply cant control...
And you puke all the sheer-khorma on his shoulders...;D;D;D

Beardo
09-01-2010, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid

I don't really like those type of hugs. Every year, I have this one friend who hugs so tight, you can literally hear my back cracking.

I prefer ONE LIGHT hug. Not 3, not one tight one either.

Insecured soul
09-01-2010, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Wahid
Lol. Everyone on Eid day has their best clothes on and do their best to smell nice on this occassion. So you have nothing to worry about.

Yeah I prefer the handshake but 1 hug is not too bad. That's what I do. 1 hug and a handshake. It's just some people grab you hard after the 1st hug and you get ready to let go but the other person has other ideas. He wants 2 more hugs. Finally a handshake. Then a strange look at each other:hmm:
Lol, i remember one man hugging me on eid so hard and i was thinking oh god..... why is he doing it so hard but u cant say anything expect smile :)

ابن آل مرة
09-01-2010, 08:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar

you guys got me wrong, im talkin bout hugs that they barely even touch you,its usually like your shoulder is touching their shoulder very lightly, n there is no brotherly love in it. i call em lazy hugs lol. and there is the hard hug type,where they pick u up in the air like ur a little baby lol.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
you guys got me wrong, im talkin bout hugs that they barely even touch you,its usually like your shoulder is touching their shoulder very lightly, n there is no brotherly love in it. i call em lazy hugs lol. and there is the hard hug type,where they pick u up in the air like ur a little baby lol.
:hmm: I got you. Some people do that...as if you are hugging the opposite gender..;D They barely touch each other. I call it 'zabardasti ke gale milna' HAHA

abdussattar
09-02-2010, 06:40 AM
Yeah I dislike those and also the handshakes where they touch just the tip of your fingers and withdraw their hand...

As much as I know, the Islamic handshake is the flesh between your thumb and forefinger should touch. The people used to such type of handshakes (like me) feel sooooooooooooo uneasy when the ..umm... fingershakes occur..

Beardo
09-02-2010, 08:00 AM
That's what I do, the soft type. My friend says I slide my hand like a credit card on a handshake.

I dislike it when people purpose grip your hand super hard to cause pain. Recently, I've been trying to put some firmness in the shake. Apparently, it builds self confidence.

abdussattar
09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
As much as I know, the sunnah is that During a Hug, the necks of bot the people should meet, and during handshake, flesh between your thumb and forefinger should touch the other person's flesh between thumb and forefinger.

Allahu Alim.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!