/* */

PDA

View Full Version : British Formalities

Beardo
09-01-2010, 02:19 AM
:sl:

I am having a major argument with my brother, and I'm hoping you guys can help resolve this.

I'm telling my brother that it is a British formality to lift your pinky finger up while drinking from a glass or cup. Isn't it? Has anyone else heard of this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
09-01-2010, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

I am having a major argument with my brother, and I'm hoping you guys can help resolve this.

I'm telling my brother that it is a British formality to lift your pinky finger up while drinking from a glass or cup. Isn't it? Has anyone else heard of this?
Salaam

from the UK and have never heard of this "formality".

peace

Karl
09-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Yes ladies should drink tea in this manner with the pinky raised and they should use a small fine china decorative tea cup and saucer preferably with gold trim. And must drink in sips without making a noise while keeping perfect poise. But this is a high society custom so it dosn't matter for common girls or women they can just chug down a mug like a bloke.
It looks a bit gay if a man does it. It may be used as a signal from a poncy gay.

Güven
09-01-2010, 02:47 AM
lol a MAAAJOR argument about a pinky.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a British formality. Its a habit used by very rich people, mostly royal if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
09-01-2010, 02:57 AM
@ Zafran: I guess it's no longer a common practice.

@ Karl: Well, that's quite a bit of formality if you ask me. But that would be the British style, if I'm not mistaken. The American style is to stuff your mouth until you've reached obesity, or beyond.

@ Guven: Yes, a major argument indeed.

But I really thought this formality was more common than what you guys are claiming. Allahu Alam. Humans have become more indecent over the years.

ژاله
09-02-2010, 09:21 AM
some teachers/professors also do this while writing on the blackboard with a piece of chalk. wonder where does it come from

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum Brother

Im a geeky British and im not that geeky enough to do something that geeky :-\

And never heard of such an "Formality" :-\, we britz maybe geeky in our so called "posh" accents (well for some:-\), but we do NOT cross the limits in doing that!, well some may :-\ who knows, not me for sure, i think :-\

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

~Raindrop~
09-03-2010, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
some teachers/professors also do this while writing on the blackboard with a piece of chalk. wonder where does it come from
That's because it gets in the way and rubs against the board, making the writing all wonky.

As for the sticky out finger when drinking tea, I always thought it was an oldddd tradition cos it's mentioned in books such as (for example) Tom Sawyer, and those were written ages ago.
Maybe a Victorian tradition?

I'm pretty sure they do it at the Buckingham Palace garden parties

Neelofar
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Salaamz! :D i'm British and i'm from Leicester! :shade: you don't have to hold the pinky up :p some posh or, upper class people may do tht, however it is not a must!..it's optional! in fact, if you did do that nowadays, you'd probably get laughed at! :p [depending on who you're with of course :)]

أحمد
09-03-2010, 07:33 PM

This is an older British formality; many here may not be aware of it.

:wa:

aadil77
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

didn't know people had such sad conversations :ermm:

أحمد
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
didn't know people had such sad conversations :ermm:
Arguing is what people are best at; one mustn't be at all surprised.

cat eyes
09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
yeh ive heard of it.. i suppose its just a bad habit some men have especially british:X;D

my brother sees this as totally gay

أحمد
09-03-2010, 08:19 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
yeh ive heard of it.. i suppose its just a bad habit some men have especially british:X;D

my brother sees this as totally gay
Its very much a bad habit; as its one of the actions distinguishing between people of different social classes.

manaal
09-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Wow, why all this empty talk during Ramadan???

ابن آل مرة
09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
I know right! I guess we have so much free time, we start to stare at people's pinkys to see if they raise it or not when they are drinking. *Adds that to todays to do list at Iftar*:exhausted

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Aslaamu`Alaaykum

i guess it was a just a Q the bro was curious about and needing an answer

And Allaah knows best

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

scented blood
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
We the new age desi brits have carried on the custom of our forefathers and pour the tea into the saucer and slurp so everybody in the room can hear us and then we let out a huge Ahhhhh to show how much we enjoy drop of the ol earl gray!

manaal
09-04-2010, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
Aslaamu`Alaaykum

i guess it was a just a Q the bro was curious about and needing an answer

And Allaah knows best

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam
No, no my dear. scented blood wants to up his post count so he can into the brother's section soon.
:hiding:

scented blood
09-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Nah all that 'whats the matter with me why cant i find a wife?' stuff aint for me!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-04-2010, 03:22 AM

No, no my dear. scented blood wants to up his post count so he can into the brother's section soon.
:hiding:
Oh i see, i was referring to brother Rashad.

format_quote Originally Posted by scented blood
Nah all that 'whats the matter with me why cant i find a wife?' stuff aint for me!
Indeed i didnt mean you!

Hold up geeks! :-\

manaal
09-04-2010, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє

Oh i see, i was referring to brother Rashad.

Indeed i didnt mean you!

Hold up geeks! :-\

For some reason I thought s.b. started this thread! My bad! Sorry. :omg:

Bro Rashad... why don;t you just google the pinky finger thing then?

aadil77
09-04-2010, 12:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scented blood
We the new age desi brits have carried on the custom of our forefathers and pour the tea into the saucer and slurp so everybody in the room can hear us and then we let out a huge Ahhhhh to show how much we enjoy drop of the ol earl gray!
earl gray? no way

all about the PG tips

Woodrow
09-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Best post of the thread

Yikes, why didn't I see this on the first post. Nearly 2 pages of posts about raised British Pinkies??? and taking place during Ramadan, That is about 3 pages too many. Let us save pinky discussions until after Ramadan.

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!