/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating birthdays

abdussattar
09-04-2010, 05:51 AM
I know that celebrating birthdays is haraam in islam ,, but my family celebrates it and I have told them many times not to celebrate but they just wont listen!:raging:

A few months ago, it was my sister's birthday and she requested my mother to cook 'so and so ' sweet. I told my sister that we shouldn't celebrate.. and she told "Ok we are not cooking the sweet because its my birthday, were just cooking it"(aisich pakare):heated:

day before yesterday it was my elder brother's birthday and My mother told me to get 'so and so' sweet . I told her that we should not celebrate birthdays and she replied " ...he is elder son..."
What could I do? Not obeying her would come under disobeying parents...+o(

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdussattar
09-07-2010, 03:27 AM
:bump1: please I need the answer within ramzan.

Jazakallah

distressed
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Salam

I asked this same question on another forum only a few weeks ago. from what i remember its a pagan ritual and muslims are only supposed to celebrate eid. birthdays/anniversaries are classed as innovation. Ive the same problem as you, and have 2 upcoming parties that are upcoming up in the future, but ive just sed i wont be attending and wont have any part.Mite cause a fall out, but as long as i know ive stuck by my deen thats all that matters. Its not easy when its something you've always known, so just be patient and try and explain.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/cat/2021#379

Im sure some1 else will be able to give you a better indepth answer.

D

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Explain that it is not islamic.

format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
she told "Ok we are not cooking the sweet because its my birthday, were just cooking it"(aisich pakare)
Many people here say this.;D You dont need to be heated for such small matters, contemplating your post I find that your sis is younger than you are. Explain her patiently that it is wrong. Insha Allah she'll understand. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by kashmirshazad
give her a good beating
not your mother your sis
I fear that you may receive infractions...;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sawdah
09-08-2010, 01:17 AM
:sl:
A few months ago, it was my sister's birthday and she requested my mother to cook 'so and so ' sweet. I told my sister that we shouldn't celebrate..
Did you back it up with proof? I don't think they will deny the truth if you showed them clear evidence, inshaAllah.

and she told "Ok we are not cooking the sweet because its my birthday, were just cooking it"(aisich pakare)
Allah knows everyone's true intention. If that is truly her intention then inshaAllah I don't see what's wrong with her cooking it, but reminder her that Allah swt is Al-Basir, The All-Seeing and is aware of what we do.

WAllahu Alem.

:w:

Maryan0
09-08-2010, 01:27 AM
Making someone their favourite food isnt the same as celebrating their birthday. They may be recognizing the date but I dont think it can be classified as a celebration. Allahu alam:hmm:
Salam

Life_Is_Short
09-08-2010, 01:31 AM
One year of your life is gone. What's there to celebrate?

IslamicRevival
09-08-2010, 01:53 AM
Celebrating Birthdays is not Haram as long as long as that celebration does not include anything that may displease Allah Azzawajal

Insecured soul
09-08-2010, 02:52 AM
I know that celebrating birthdays is haraam in islam ,, but my family celebrates it and I have told them many times not to celebrate but they just wont listen!:raging:

A few months ago, it was my sister's birthday and she requested my mother to cook 'so and so ' sweet. I told my sister that we shouldn't celebrate.. and she told "Ok we are not cooking the sweet because its my birthday, were just cooking it"(aisich pakare):heated:
(
Then tell her aisich mat pakao.

WE muslim believe the time of our death is written so then once you know that how would someone think of celebrating birthdays?

see the way a non beleiver sees it is that they are fighting with the nature and every year passes by they think they have beaten the nature one more year hence they celebrate and its not the case with us.

It should be a time to do astagfaar and do ibadah

wassalam alaikum warehmatullah

Innocent Soul
09-08-2010, 02:59 AM
Assalamualaikum

It should be a time to do astagfaar and do ibadah
I agree with you its time for ibadah. :hmm:

abdussattar
09-08-2010, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
Did you back it up with proof? I don't think they will deny the truth if you showed them clear evidence, inshaAllah.
I know the hadith " Man tashabbaha bi qawmin, fa huwa minhum"
. "one who imitates a nation, he is among them"

Thats my proof... I'll try explaining them once more Inshallah.

format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
Celebrating Birthdays is not Haram as long as long as that celebration does not include anything that may displease Allah Azzawajal
It is haraam, as it is a way of the Jews, and imitating Jews will make you be reborn as a Jew on the Day of Qayamah, as the hadith states, if you immitate jews, you are among the jews.

kashmirshazad
09-08-2010, 11:10 AM
thats a bit extreme isnt it maulvi saab. Do you deliever fatwas on here often then?

abdussattar
09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
thats a bit extreme isnt it maulvi saab. Do you deliever fatwas on here often then?
You consider beating as 'unextreme' and explanation in the light of a hadith as 'extreme'?

You have a very very very X99999999999999 good sense of humour and hence keep it confined to yourelf :hmm:

kashmirshazad
09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I wasnt talking about the hadith, i was talking about you taking it out of context.

abdussattar
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
That is what my teacher (maulvi) explained to me in school

IslamicRevival
09-09-2010, 10:37 PM

Thats my proof... I'll try explaining them once more Inshallah.

It is haraam, as it is a way of the Jews, and imitating Jews will make you be reborn as a Jew on the Day of Qayamah, as the hadith states, if you immitate jews, you are among the jews.
Celebrating birthdays can not be considered to be unique with the Kuffar as celebrating birthdays has become a widespread phenomenon that is carried out in many different parts of the world. I do not see any connection with the Jewish faith and celebrating birthdays hence your 'Fatwa' is based on ignorance and not facts.

I dont see anything wrong in Thanking Allah Azzawajal for blessing us with one more year of life.

abdussattar
09-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Check this out.

http://www.islamicboard.com/aqeedah/...ml#post1348267

IslamicRevival
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations.
Proof? The article you linked me to is unconvincing and does not offer any proof against Birthdays whatsoever.

Im using a computer to type this very message. Is this Bidah and Haram also according to you?

abdussattar
09-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Bidah and Haram also according to you?
I dont know, but atleast I know that it is not allowed, as both bidah and haraam are not allowed things.

IslamicRevival
09-11-2010, 07:46 PM

I dont know, but atleast I know that it is not allowed, as both bidah and haraam are not allowed things.
You cannot claim celebration Birthdays in a halal manner is Haram. You have failed in your attempt to offer concrete evidence, What you have done instead is misinterpreted a Hadith

I will say no more.

distressed
09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
You cannot claim celebration Birthdays in a halal manner is Haram. You have failed in your attempt to offer concrete evidence, What you have done instead is misinterpreted a Hadith

I will say no more.
Salaam

Ive got some info that a sister sent to me a few weeks ago, i wasnt in2 birthdays etc anyway, but my family are, so decided to read up on it. from what i understand its a pagan ritual and imitaing the kuffar + the prophet (pbuh) never celebrated his did he ? where i live these things are done on such a big scale, even wen its the prophets (pbuh) birthday which is biddah, as its innovation. I cant get to the info at the minute, but wen i do i'll put it up here if no1 else has answered. I dont see anything wrong with thanking god for an extra year but shouldnt that be done when reading dua everry day rather than restricting it just to a birthday.?

abdussattar
09-12-2010, 03:44 AM

You cannot claim celebration Birthdays in a halal manner is Haram
It is similar to say

"You cannot claim celebration Christmas in a halal manner is Haram"
"You cannot claim celebration Diwali in a halal manner is Haram"
"You cannot claim celebration Dussehra in a halal manner is Haram"

And the list will continue.

I will say no more.
Thank you.

abdussattar
09-12-2010, 03:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by distressed
I dont see anything wrong with thanking god for an extra year
In Islam, we believe that a person's fate is written down.

So if a person is going to live for X years, NOTHING CAN HAPPEN WHICH CAN KILL HIM BEFORE X YEARS.

If a person was to live for 60 years, it is his 59th birthday, he is going to die the next year, do you think he would celebrate?

(seems similar to the dawah programme , explaining to non-muslims)

tigerkhan
09-12-2010, 04:35 AM
its also pbm with me....manytimes my family forced me to do thinks which i thinks are harmfull wrt my ahhra...i think i should contact some AALIM in this regard. but havent till due to my laziness....i think u should also talk some AALIM>
JZK

abdussattar
09-13-2010, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
i think u should also talk some AALIM
Why should I? It was an Alim who told me not to celebrate birthdays...

IslamicRevival
09-13-2010, 08:02 PM

It is similar to say

"You cannot claim celebration Christmas in a halal manner is Haram"
"You cannot claim celebration Diwali in a halal manner is Haram"
"You cannot claim celebration Dussehra in a halal manner is Haram"

And the list will continue.

Thank you.
No it is not, Celebrating Christmas, Divali etc is clearly prohibited in Islam as they are no doubt Kafir celebrations and not from our deen.

The ruling on Celebrating Birthdays is not as clear cut as you are making it out to be. Its not Haram in my opinion

That'l be all

abdussattar
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Read this again.

In Islam, we believe that a person's fate is written down.
So if a person is going to live for X years, NOTHING CAN HAPPEN WHICH CAN KILL HIM BEFORE X YEARS.
If a person was to live for 60 years, it is his 59th birthday, he is going to die the next year, do you think he would celebrate?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-14-2010, 09:25 PM

:sl:

Are you implying that by celebrating birthdays a person is by extension imitating the non-Muslims, and therefore, based on your understanding of this hadeeth, is by extension a non-Muslim?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!