/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Burn Quran-Sign Petition against it today is last day!!

Bintulislam
09-07-2010, 12:16 PM
http://www.muslimpetition.co.uk/index.php

Follow this link,sign it!.We need a million votes for this.And do confirm your signature otherwise it won't be counted.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Neelofar
09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Thank you! this saddens me :(

titus
09-07-2010, 04:12 PM
While I applaud the intent here, signing this petition will do absolutely nothing.

Muslim Woman
09-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Salaam

really ? Why then I regularly get email urging sign the petition ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
titus
09-07-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't why you are getting the emails. For all I know this website was set up to gather as many Muslim email addresses as possible. Or it may be genuine in its efforts.

Regardless of intent, though, the act of signing this petition does absolutely nothing to stop the burning. In fact it does exactly the opposite. The people doing the burning are doing it because they want a reaction from Muslims and they want publicity. The best thing that Muslims, and everyone else around the world, can do is to completely ignore these idiots. By reacting to them and giving them more publicity you are only making them happier and playing right into their hands.

Trumble
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
He's right, you know. What notice do you think the minds (and I use the word loosely) behind the Dove World Fruitcake Center will take of the petition, however many signatures it has? Protests and petitions just provide the reaction this idiocy was intended to provoke.

ardianto
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
I don't why you are getting the emails. For all I know this website was set up to gather as many Muslim email addresses as possible. Or it may be genuine in its efforts.

Regardless of intent, though, the act of signing this petition does absolutely nothing to stop the burning. In fact it does exactly the opposite. The people doing the burning are doing it because they want a reaction from Muslims and they want publicity. The best thing that Muslims, and everyone else around the world, can do is to completely ignore these idiots. By reacting to them and giving them more publicity you are only making them happier and playing right into their hands.
That's right, I agree.

czgibson
09-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Greetings,

I heard about this horrible idea to burn the Qur'an on the news. I can't imagine how the people involved think their action is in any way helpful. When groups of humans get the urge to burn a particular book, more often than not the majority of them have not read it. That's pretty much bound to be the case here too.

The petition will make no difference, and I don't like giving out my email address if I can help it. So instead I register my opposition to the book burning thus: :hmm:

Peace

scented blood
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
They just attention seeking animals.

May Allah give them what they deserve.

جوري
09-07-2010, 10:53 PM
burn the Quran and become a celebrity, I have read a rabbi protest today of course his lighthearted banter was marred by other political agenda that he managed to sneak in nonetheless, I think everyone views this for what it is, a brilliant way to showcase the ignorant oafs that dwell within these woods.. Those who burn the Quran really highlight the type of dark aged ignorance that is so ingrained in them.. the same people who believe dinosaurs roamed about 6000 years ago if not some colossal hoax and that well god is a middle eastern man..

How much of the Quran can they burn? How many of us here (masha'Allah) know it by heart? burn all the Quran's it can be reproduced in an instance, we live by it, we breathe it and always in our hearts..
this should serve as an impetus though for those who don't know it by memory to do so..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Tyrion
09-08-2010, 12:24 AM
I'm going to have to agree with the others who have already pointed out that a petition like this will do nothing. This whole event just seems to be an attempt at gaining some publicity, and angering the Muslim community. The best thing we can do is to just ignore them altogether, and not overreact to their provocations.

sabr*
09-08-2010, 12:31 AM

سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Surah An Nahl 16:125

125. Invite (mankind, O Muhammad SAW) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islâm) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'ân) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.

Let’s educate ourselves on who is actually behind the promotion to burn the Quran.

The passive protests, letter writing, etc only provide these evangelical nuts with the ultimate goal of attracting notoriety.

The Dove World Outreach Center History:

Dove World Outreach Center is a non-denominational charismatic Christian church located in Gainesville, Florida, which, under its leaders Rev. Terry and Sylvia Jones, gained notoriety in the late 2000s for its displays of anti-Islam and anti-LGBT messages.

It was founded in 1986 by Donald O. Northrup and Richard H. Wright, and became known for participating in charitable endeavors.
It also formerly owned a subsidiary church in Waldo, Florida in the 1980s (led by Donald J. Wright) and a sister church in Cologne, Germany, Christliche Gemeinde Köln[2][3] (CKG), which had been founded and led by Jones, a Missouri native, from 1981-2008 (initially as a branch of Maranatha Ministries), after which the church continued under newer, independent, leadership. It is currently the largest non-Catholic church in the Cologne/Bonn metropolitan area.

The church also maintains a Dove World Outreach Academy in Gainesville, in which students are prohibited from outside contact, and work without compensation in selling, packing, and shipping furniture for TS and Company.

Donald Northrup and his wife, Dolores (a native of Nova Scotia), were married in 1946 and became involved as missionaries in southern Africa from 1960-1977. Donald Northrup and Terry Jones first became involved with each other as operatives in the Maranatha Campus Ministries; when MCM's headquarters were moved from Paducah, Kentucky to Gainesville, Florida in the 1970s, the Northrups decided to permanently move from Rhode Island to Gainesville, at which point Northrup and Wright established the Dove World Outreach Center.

Northrup headed the church from its inception until he died in 1996, before which he repudiated his own experience with MCM. Dolores continued to participate in various ministries of the church as Woman's Pastor until she retired from activities in 2004 and later became estranged from the congregation in 2009 due to concerns about the church's future under the Jones family.

Terry Jones is a native of Cape Girardeau, Missouri who is married to Sylvia Jones. Terry and Lisa Jones, who died of cancer, had two children, Luke and Emma (the latter of whom is estranged from the family and the church). Jones became the pastor of the CGK (while it was a branch of Maranatha) from 1981, and after Maranatha's collapse, the congregation became associated with the surviving DWOC. Afterward, they became the current senior pastors of the Gainesville congregation, with Wayne Sapp serving as assistant pastor.

Terry published Islam is of the Devil, a polemic denouncing Islam as a violent faith.

Dove World Outreach Center
5805 NW 37th St
Gainesville, FL32653
(352) 371-2487
Terry Jones, Pastor

Life_Is_Short
09-08-2010, 12:56 AM
May Allah SWT guide these people to the straight path. May Allah SWT show them the light of Qur'an.

Grace Seeker
09-08-2010, 02:26 AM
One bit of good news in all of this, the man who plans to burn the Qu'ran, is so ignorant of it he doesn't seem to be aware that he doesn't even actually have a copy of the Qu'ran to burn. Rather, if he is planning on burning the book he held up to cameras today, he is planning on burning an English translation. And sad as that in itself is, as I have been taught here, such a book is not actually the Qu'ran.

Regardless, my apologies for the dimwittedness of this man who claims to represent Christianity. In truth he only represents the 50 members of his paranoid local church.

abdussattar
09-08-2010, 05:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
I agree with you. They are just doing it for publicity. He can burn 100 copies or 1000 copies but he can't but ALL the copies. Even if he manages to burn ALL the copies, he cant erase the quraan from the memories of all the Huffaz on the earth.

Muslim Woman
09-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Salaam/Peace

got this mail today.

REQUEST TO INTRODUCE A LAW THAT DECLARES BURNING OF A BOOK WILL BE UNLAWFUL ON ANY PROPERTY

In 1820-1821, Heinrich Heine (German Jewish Poet) wrote in his play ALMANSOR (WHERE THEY BURN BOOKS, THEY WILL ALSO ULTIMATELY BURN PEOPLE). Albert Einstein said “IMAGINATION is MORE important than KNOWLEDGE”. The undersigned believe that burning of Qur’an on September 11th, 2010, from 6pm - 9pm on the property of Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, will compromise the overall safety of the community and incite hostility due to the symbolism of this event .

Hon’ble Chief Justice of USA is requested to advise the legislatures to introduce a law in regards to the burning of a book immediately. 2. Also requesting Chief Justice of USA to request Hon’ble Secretary GENERAL OF UN to call immediately a meeting of its members to pass a resolution that all member countries should formulate a LAW to protect against the Burning of any book.

Full Name * Please provie your full name here.

Email Address Please give your email address.

Country

Signature Please provide your full name as signature.

Date Please provide the date this form was filled out and signed. Format - MM/DD/YYYY

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHo3ODN2c3U3UkJfeUtQblgwQWN0M3c6M A

islamirama
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM
MSNBC Poll: Should Florida Church Cancel Quran Burning

Please vote YES and stand against intolerance & bigotry:

http://msnbc.polls.newsvine.com/_que...-demonstration

Current results

74.5% -Yes. Any preventable event that might endanger the lives of our troops should be canceled.
120,018 votes

25.5% - No. The church has a right to hold demonstrations, and its intentions are not to provoke violence.
41,103 votes

cat eyes
09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
what if all the muslims gather together and try and stop it? id love to do that

i wish i was living in new york :( this makes me angry.

Bintulislam
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Neelofar
Thank you! this saddens me :(
Yes ! I feel that way too!

follow this link too.Sez a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnABW9lq9x0

ابن آل مرة
09-08-2010, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes

This is taking place in Florida not NY...Its funny when people start pathetic useless petitions that never get anything done. Keep worshipping Allah SWT and stop worrying about these bigots like Terry Jones. As someone said above, he does not know what he is burning, and I doubt that he actually has ONE real mushaf in this hands. Probably English translations of Quran made by haters of Islam who cant stand to watch Islam rise. may Allah's curse and wrath be upon those are involved in this.

Surah Al Hijr Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Quran) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption). 15:9

Bintulislam
09-08-2010, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
burn the Quran and become a celebrity, I have read a rabbi protest today of course his lighthearted banter was marred by other political agenda that he managed to sneak in nonetheless, I think everyone views this for what it is, a brilliant way to showcase the ignorant oafs that dwell within these woods.. Those who burn the Quran really highlight the type of dark aged ignorance that is so ingrained in them.. the same people who believe dinosaurs roamed about 6000 years ago if not some colossal hoax and that well god is a middle eastern man..

How much of the Quran can they burn? How many of us here (masha'Allah) know it by heart? burn all the Quran's it can be reproduced in an instance, we live by it, we breathe it and always in our hearts..
this should serve as an impetus though for those who don't know it by memory to do so..

and Allah swt knows best

Well said!I agree with every word.I know that this would do nothing on the other hand complete silence might shunt their periodical evil tickles but somehow I can't help being asked to show my resistance peacefully against Islamophobia and signing up for it.BTW what type of publicity they want?Except for being labelled much intolerable than they've ever been.Recent acts of Draw Muhammad Day and now this done by groups of ill-thinking people is a new thing in market done in the name of freedom of speech.I am confused.Which is Islamic Peaceful Resistance or Silence?

Bintulislam
09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
This is taking place in Florida not NY...Its funny when people start pathetic useless petitions that never get anything done. Keep worshipping Allah SWT and stop worrying about these bigots like Terry Jones. As someone said above, he does not know what he is burning, and I doubt that he actually has ONE real mushaf in this hands. Probably English translations of Quran made by haters of Islam who cant stand to watch Islam rise. may Allah's curse and wrath be upon those are involved in this.

Surah Al Hijr Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Quran) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption). 15:9
Pathetic??....................

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-08-2010, 09:10 PM

LauraS
09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I can't this being allowed to go ahead. As for extremism I hardly think certain Christian societies in America can talk.

sabr*
09-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Petitions make people who are inactive feel they are actually participating in a cause.

Many Muslims are just too passive. Not that advocating violence would bring a positive result.

Just read the posts of forum members with the high reputations and power, etc that can't
even take five minutes to research who the Dove World Outreach Center Pastor that is promoting this
nonsense and the location.

Reveiwing the Nightline segment it appears the majority of Quran's are translations, Yusuf Ali, etc.
The arabic is the Quran which in still included in many translations.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/
__________________________________________________ ________

Dove World Outreach Center is a small, 50 member non-denominational charismatic Christian church in Gainesville, Florida led by Terry Jones and his wife, Sylvia. The church gained notoriety in the late 2000s for its displays of anti-Islam and anti-LGBT messages. The church received widespread national and international criticism in 2010 after it announced an "International Burn a Koran Day", during which church members would hold book burnings of the Qu'ran, on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
History of the church

The Dove World Outreach Center (DWOC) was founded in 1985 by Donald O. Northrup[1] and Richard H. Wright who served as co-pastors in 1987.[2] It became known for participating in charitable endeavors.[citation needed] Wright led a subsidiary church in Waldo, Florida in the 1980s.[citation needed]
Northrup, who was affiliated with the now defunct Maranatha Campus Ministries (MCM), headed the DWOC from its inception until he died in 1996.[1] (He repudiated the MCM before his death.)[citation needed] His wife, Dolores, continued to participate in various ministries of the DWOC as Woman's Pastor until 2004;[1] she became estranged from the congregation in 2009 due to concerns about the church's future under the Jones family.[citation needed]
Donald Northrup and Terry Jones first became involved with each other as operatives in the Maranatha Campus Ministries. Jones founded and led the Christliche Gemeinde Köln, a church in Cologne, Germany from 1981 to 2008[3][4] initially as a branch of the Maranatha Campus Ministries. Jones was released from the leadership of the Christliche Gemeinde Köln in 2008 due to untenable theological statements and craving for recognition.[5] Following Jones' departure, the CGK closed,[3] then reopened under new, independent, leadership.
Current organization of the church

In 2008, Jones a native of Cape Girardeau, Missouri who was born in 1952 or 1953,[6] and his second wife Sylvia became the current senior pastors of the DWOC, with Wayne Sapp serving as assistant pastor.
The DWOC also maintains a boarding school in Gainsville, called the Dove World Outreach Academy. According to the Gainsville Sun, students of the academy are prohibited from outside and family contact including attendance at family weddings and funerals, and work without compensation selling, packing, and shipping furniture for TS and Company, a business owned by Sylvia Jones.[3].
In 2010 Jones published Islam is of the Devil, a polemic denouncing Islam as a violent faith.[7] The church reportedly had fifty members in September 2010.[8]
Political controversies

Anti-Islam lawn signs

In 2009, Dove World posted a sign on its lawn which stated in large red letters "Islam is of the Devil"[9]. The signs drew protests by CAIR and local activists, who picketed the church's front sidewalk. By July 31, however, the church posted another sign which paraphrased a portion of At-Tawba (Surah 9:5), stating "Koran 9:5 Kill the disbelievers wherever you find them."[10] The verse actually reads "But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful." This is the famous "Sword verse" in the Quran.
Another sign was posted by October 29, showing a Muslim man hanging a Christian[11]; according to one observer, the sign was later destroyed by angry passersby[12].
Anti-Islam t-shirts

Also in 2009, members of the church sent their children to the new school year with t-shirts saying on the front "Jesus answered I am the way and the truth and the life; no one goes to the Father except through me. I stand in trust with Dove Outreach Center." and on the back "Islam is of the Devil". The incident resulted in a 10-year-old being sent home from Talbot Elementary on August 24, and, on the 25, Eastside High students and one Gainesville High student being sent home and a student at Westwood Middle having to change clothes because of the shirt[13].
Protest in Columbus, Ohio

Dove World participated in a November 2009 rally in support of Rifqa Bary; members wore "Islam is of the Devil" t-shirts to the event, although some other participants at the rally were troubled by the t-shirts' message[14].
Endorsement of Westboro Baptist Church

In March 2010, Dove World posted a video which decried the possibility of an openly-gay mayor (in this case, current mayor Craig Lowe, who is the first openly gay mayor of Gainesville). It also posted a sign saying "No Homo Mayor"; after Americans United requested the Internal Revenue Service to investigate the sign as an undue participation of a non-political tax-exempt organization in the political process[15], the church then changed the sign to simply read "No Homo"[16].
On April 18, 2010, members of the church participated in a joint protest with the Westboro Baptist Church against homosexuality[17]; the protest took place in front of Trinity United Methodist Church and the University of Florida Hillel.
Later, on April 21, Dove World member Fran Ingram published a blog post proclaiming the church's endorsements of the Westboro Baptist Church's protests against homosexuality and homosexuals[18].
"International Burn a Koran Day"

Main article: International Burn a Koran Day
In July 2010, the church announced that it would hold an "International Burn a Koran Day", in which church members would hold book burnings of the Qu'ran, on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks.
The initial announcement elicited condemnation by religious organizations. The National Association of Evangelicals recommended that the event be canceled.[19] The German Evangelical Alliance formally dissociated itself from the proposed Koran burning.[5] The Al-Falluja jihadist web forum threatened a bloody war against America.[20].
The announcement has also elicited comparisons of the church's actions with those of Nazi Germany, which engaged in burnings of books written by Jews, communists and others who did not conform to Nazi ideology, as well as the European Middle Ages/Renaissance-era Roman Catholic Church, which participated in the Inquisition against persons and works which did not conform with the church's teachings.[21]
The Gainesville fire department refused to grant the church a burning permit, stating that open burning of books is not allowed in the city due to fire hazard.[22] Regardless, the church plans to proceed with the event despite the potential of being fined if it proceeds with the event.[23]
The event is being followed by thousands (fans, critics and others) on an eponymical Facebook page.[24] Worries have also emerged that the event could spark events of terrorism after a UK-based Islamic group has incorporated the Koran-burning event in a YouTube video which makes a call to Muslims to "rise up and act". Terry Jones has however said that he hopes the event does not lead to violence. Jones says he regularly receives death threats since the event was announced.[24] Also since the announcement, the bank where the church has a $140,000 mortgage loan, has demanded immediate repayment of the balance and Jones has also had his property insurance cancelled.[24]
Financial controversy

As a result of its controversies and the ties between the church and TS and Company, the Alachua County Property Appraiser commenced an investigation into the tax-exempt status of the church in March 2010[25].
Response

Local response

The church has been strongly criticized by various local religious and political figures in Florida for its stances against Islam and homosexuality. In response, a Gainesville Interfaith Forum was established in November 2009 with participation from the University of Florida Hillel, Congregation Bnai Israel[26] and individual Muslim residents, and the forum's request for the declaration of September 11 as "Interfaith Solidarity Day" was honored by current mayor Craig Lowe[27]. The Forum scheduled a "Gathering for Peace, Understanding and Hope" at Trinity United Methodist Church on the day before the planned burning[28].
In addition, Lowe has referred to Dove World as a "tiny fringe group and an embarrassment to our community"[29].
Twenty local religious leaders gathered Thursday, September 2, 2010 to call for citizens to rally around Muslims “in a time when so much venom is directed toward them.” [30].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dove_World_Outreach_Center
__________________________________________________ ________

Dove Outreach Center
5805 NW 37th St
Gainesville, FL 32653
(352) 371-2487
Pastor Terry Jones and Sylvia Jones

Muslim Woman
09-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Salaam

[QUOTE=islamirama;1365379 Any preventable event that might endanger the lives of our troops should be canceled[/QUOTE]

hmmm so they are against it just because it could increase danger for troops. otherwise they would have supported it ???

Eric H
09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Bintulislam;

I have signed the petition, I hope it can do some good, there seems no other peaceful action than signing.

Blessings and peace be with you all at this time.

Eric

Bintulislam
09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you Bintulislam;

I have signed the petition, I hope it can do some good, there seems no other peaceful action than signing.

Blessings and peace be with you all at this time.

Eric
Peace be with you too.

Grace Seeker
09-09-2010, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam

hmmm so they are against it just because it could increase danger for troops. otherwise they would have supported it ???
I can't speak for "them", whoever "they" are. The poll didn't just ask if the church should cancel the Qu'ran burning or not, but then proceeded to put words in the mouths of those who answered YES or NO. It makes it hard to answer or even know what those who did answer mean by it.

For instance, I do think that the church should cancel the Qu'ran buring, but for many reasons. One of those would be the ancillary effects, but not that alone. I don't think that Qu'rans should be burned. (BTW, I also don't think that American flags should be burned.) These forms of protests are disrespectful and often incite people to respond in emotional and even violent ways.

But do I think that the church has the right to burn their own personal private property? Certainly, as long as they do it in a safe way that won't become a public hazard, such as a massive bonfire might.

YES, NO. My answer as to what they should do, doesn't necessarily match the suggested reasons for why they should do it. So, please don't assume that all those who said that the Qu'ran burning should not proceed did so soley for the rather lame reason that was offered.

Well, aside from the fact that you have the wrong geography, what is it that you suggest all the muslims do if you were gathered together in the right place to stop it?

There are Muslims who are in Gainsville where this is taking place. Already they (and many non-Muslims alongside them) are peacefully picketing this church. Now, that isn't likely to actually make this particular person change his plans. So, what more do you want them to do? Do you suggest they try to persuade him by logical argument? Would you make an impassioned emotional plea for understanding and respect? Should they try to physically snatch it from his hand? Do you resort to actual personal violence to resist him?

Muslim Woman
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Salaam/Peace

got this mail today.

Subject: Response to Burning the Holy Quran

“If They Can Burn It, We Can Read It.” A UCC Minister’s Response to Burning the Qur’an.

There are some things that really get under my skin. One of those things is religious intolerance, be it from Christians, Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, Pagans, Pastafarians, or the like.

Larry Reimer, a minister of the United Church of Gainesville, has decided to read scripture from the Qur'an in worship service in response to a local Qur'an burning.

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one, then, who sees Gainesville, Florida’s Dove World Outreach Center’s plan to burn as many copies of the Qur’an as possible a stab in the heart to groups of religious followers that care about tolerance.

Larry Reimer is a minister at the United Church of Gainesville, a deep advocate of civil rights, and the man responsible for what seems to be a very intelligent response to Dove’s outlash at Islam.

“If they can burn it, then we can read it,” said Reimer from an armchair across from mine in his office, lined with bookshelves and photos from many events canvassing the years. On a side table next to me, there’s a statue of the Buddha, along with various other spiritually-themed trinkets that seem to indicate that this office does not belong to a spiritually firm-handed man.

Reimer, along with other Gainesville religious leaders, will read scripture from the Qur’an as part of worship services on Sunday, September 12.

When asked about how he came about with the idea, “Almost right away, members of the congregation here asked me, ‘what are we going to do about this?’ Originally, I had the intention of giving [Dove Center] no more attention in the media. But as I thought about it, I asked myself what we could do that would be effective andproactive in promoting cooperation among our religious relatives.”

I prodded further about religious relatives. “Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all part of the Abrahamic tree of faith. We all believe in the same God, and in many aspects we are all trying to accomplish the same goals. And in Islam, there are things that I think any follower of any other religion could learn from. Take prayer, for example. In Islam, one prays at least five times a day. The discipline to do that? Few of us have it. And like Christianity and Judaism, there is a strong call to love God and your neighbor.”

We chat on for a bit about the differences and similarities that each of the Abrahamic religions have when he says to me, “You know, we learn best from our rival siblings. We might not always agree with them, but they always point out our shortcomings. And in the end, we have the most in common with them. We pull from one another and make each whole.

“Look at FSU and UF, or Michigan and Ohio State. All students who grew up together, went to the same high schools, and in reality should be the most understanding of one another. Now that they’re on opposite sides of the stadium, they act like they have nothing in common. But they do, and if each member stopped for a minute and thought about it, they would realize they’re the same students, with the same dreams, looking and hoping to do the same things when they graduate.”

Then I ask him why he thinks these negative attitudes toward Islam exist. “The average American inherently assumes that Islam is violent and decidedly anti-American because we haven’t taken the time to experience Islam from an individual perspective or as a faith up close. A friend of mine was in Egypt when news of Dove Outreach’s Qur’an burning hit, and he told me that it was represented as mainstream Christianity, much in the same way that the violent acts we hear about here are represented as mainstream Islam. Here, Islam is still associated with terrorism. The acts of September 11th were not acts that were Islamic in nature. They were acts of fanatical extremists. And fanaticism is not confined to any one faith. I think that there’s no better time than September 12th to remind ourselves of this, and to read from Qur’an in worship to point out how much we really do have in common.”

Then I asked him the big one. If you could preach to the members of Dove Outreach Center for even five minutes, what would you say? “The danger to our faith comes not most from outside, but from the shadows within. We must pay attention to our neglect to look at ourselves, instead of automatically pointing the finger elsewhere. God’s call is for constant opening.”

Already, Larry has been interviewed for the New York Times. As of now, Fifteen religious leaders in Gainesville have agreed to share verses from the Qur’an on Sunday, September 12th. And he thinks that more will follow. “I’m not trying to make this a national or international event, but I feel that those who understand that allowing [the Qur'an burning] to pass silently by allows Dove Outreach to win in the fight against tolerance and religious compassion will stand up and share scripture from the Qur’an.”

Not a moment too soon. In the words of German poet Heinrich Heine written in 1820, now enshrined on a plaque at the site of Nazi Propoganda Minster Joseph Goebbels’ book burnings, “There, where they burn books, they will in the end burn people.”
Possibly related posts: (automatically generated) 4 bloggers like this post

com arrow 1?m1265230535g - 81 Comments

Leave A Comment

Grace Seeker
09-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Reimer, along with other Gainesville religious leaders, will read scripture from the Qur’an as part of worship services on Sunday, September 12.
Interesting. I probably would not go that far myself. As a Christian pastor, I believe that our scriptures are the Bible, not the Qur'an. I would have no problem reading certain parts of the Qur'an as illustrative material during my sermon -- in fact I've in the past given sermons emphasizing those portions of the 5 pillars that I see as positive and worthwhile even for Christians to practice -- but I disagree that the Qur'an should be read as scripture in a Christian church. And maybe that is not how he plans to use the Qur'an; perhaps I'm reading into his comments something he didn't mean to imply. But I'm glad to see some local pastors trying to find ways to counter this one destructive act with something more positive.

aamirsaab
09-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Just for the record, I don't put all non-muslims in the same boat so y'all have nothing to apologise for. It' simply a case of minority spoiling things (as is usual). Most people think it's retarded. Because there are more important things in their life to do on a saturday. Like sleeping.

As for the pastor hosting the burning session, I lol. HARD.

Asiyah3
09-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Why do we even care? The Qur'aan is guarded by Allah SWT.

May Allah guide them.

cat eyes
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
i just hope they all get hit with a bolt of lightning that would be so funny;D

LauraS
09-09-2010, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by **muslimah**
Why do we even care? The Qur'aan cant be touched.

May Allah guide them.
I agree, surely it's an opportunity for Muslims to show they're bigger than that? That this man and his followers are just pathetic and that he can destroy a book, but it's the message inside the book that matters and nothing he does can destroy that.

If Muslims react with dignity, itshows him up, but if people start sending death threats then people will start thinking of them as fanatics too.

جوري
09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
ut I disagree that the Qur'an should be read as scripture in a Christian church.
Afraid you might learn something which you might otherwise prefer to not know about?

all the best

Grace Seeker
09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
Afraid you might learn something which you might otherwise prefer to not know about?
No. As you are aware, I have read it. It's been long enough since I did and I've forgotten enough that I probably should read it again; but I'm not afraid of it or what I might learn. I wouldn't be on this board if I was.

Simply put, the Qu'ran is NOT Christian scripture, so to read it is one thing, but to read it as scripture is quite another. It may be that the UCC pastor doesn't intend doing that and I've misunderstood the report, but it seemed to imply that he was planning on reading from the Qu'ran in a Christian worship service as if it were scripture. As I said, I can see reading from the Qu'ran for certain purposes, but I can't see reading it in such a way that one confuses it with what are the Christian scriptures.

~Raindrop~
09-09-2010, 04:52 PM
His intentions aren't honourable, but it's allowed to burn old copies of the Qur'an. :hmm:

Why the fuss? Like it's been said, 'tis exactly what this attention-seeker wants. He should just be ignored, that might burst his bubble.

Muslim Woman
09-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Salaam

i just hope they all get hit with a bolt of lightning that would be so funny;D
:)

Commander: US Seeking to Cover Crimes by Burning Quran on 9/11
TEHRAN (FNA)- A senior Iranian military commander said that Florida evangelical church's plan to burn Muslims' divine book, the Holy Quran, on the 9/11 anniversary is a Washington plan to divert the public attention from the US crimes.

"…the US administration is trying to cover its crimes by creating issues of secondary importance and diverting the public to such marginal issues," Iranian Armed Forces Deputy Chief of Staff for Cultural Affairs and Defense Publicity Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri said.

"Burning the holy Quran on September 11 anniversary by a Christian priest and magnifying this story by mostly the US and Zionist media is a move on the same path," Jazayeri stated.

"The US government embarks on creating such controversial and secondary issues in a bid to escape the great lie and scandal of September 11," Jazayeri noted, stressing that undeniable evidence shows that US statesmen and Zionist elements were behind the 9/11 incident.

The commander further said that the evangelists' plan also aims to humiliate the Muslims which, he said, is a policy institutionalized in the heart of the US liberal democracy.

The comments by the Iranian commander came after the leader of the Dove World Outreach Centre in Gainesville, Florida, that espouses anti-Islam philosophy said Wednesday he was determined to go through with his plan to burn copies of the Quran on September 11.

The 58-year-old minister proclaimed in July that he would stage "International Burn-a-Quran Day."

Top US Commander in Afghanistan General David Petraeus warned that "images of the burning of a Quran would undoubtedly be used by many in Afghanistan - and around the world - to inflame public opinion and incite violence."

http://english.farsnews.com/newstext.php?nn=8906171680

Grace Seeker
09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Jazayeri and Jones. Both names start with the letter J. I wonder if that's just a coincidence or does having that letter in one's name jumble one's brain cells so that they produce the sort of nonsense each has?

جوري
09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
No. As you are aware, I have read it. It's been long enough since I did and I've forgotten enough that I probably should read it again; but I'm not afraid of it or what I might learn. I wouldn't be on this board if I was.
People travel to places they don't like all the time!

Simply put, the Qu'ran is NOT Christian scripture, so to read it is one thing, but to read it as scripture is quite another. It may be that the UCC pastor doesn't intend doing that and I've misunderstood the report, but it seemed to imply that he was planning on reading from the Qu'ran in a Christian worship service as if it were scripture. As I said, I can see reading from the Qu'ran for certain purposes, but I can't see reading it in such a way that one confuses it with what are the Christian scriptures.
I don't see how one can confuse Islamic Monotheism with christian polytheism/anthropomorphism? I think it would be a refreshing service for a change!
I hope he reads enough so that his parishioners start questioning that faith they blindly follow!

all the best

truth finder
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi readers

Most Christians including myself are strongly against burning Qurans by a small group of people in Florida. Personally I have sent Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center three separate emails not to burn Qurans. I explained to him that there are many other polite ways to convey his message. We will see if Pastor Terry Jones will listen to our imploring or not, and I hope he will.

ابن آل مرة
09-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I highly doubt he will even open your email. :lol:

IslamicRevival
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Breaking News

Minister cancels burning of Qurans on 9/11

A Christian minister in Florida is canceling plans to burn Qurans on Sept. 11, heeding an international outcry that drew criticism from President Barack Obama and religious and political leaders across the Muslim world.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...6u-pwD9I4KMLO0

Muslim Woman
09-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Salaam/Peace

thanks for sharing the good news.

جوري
09-10-2010, 12:35 AM
probably because they'd rather spend their money on pork rinds and beer than in the purchase of books which they will eventually burn..can't believe they came into that lesson in economics all on their own!

truth finder
09-10-2010, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed M.
I highly doubt he will even open your email. :lol:
Hi Ahmed M.

You see Pastor Terry Jones canceled burning Qurans. I am sure he or his followers read our petitions and changed their mind.

ابن آل مرة
09-10-2010, 02:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truth finder
Hi Ahmed M.

You see Pastor Terry Jones canceled burning Qurans. I am sure he or his followers read our petitions and changed their mind.
The only reason he changed his mind and cancelled the event because he expects the so called Ground Zero Masjid to be moved to another location.

(CNN) -- A Florida pastor who called off a Quran burning said late Thursday he was "rethinking our position" after a Muslim leader said the minister incorrectly announced that the proposed Islamic center near New York's ground zero would be moved as part of a deal.

Woodrow
09-10-2010, 03:00 AM
:sl:

Sadly I doubt if Terry Jones changed his mind because of anything we or anybody else did. Simply economics was probably the strongest reason, A small church with only 50 or so members will behard pressed to get more than 2 or 3 people to buy Qurans to burn. I think he would become a laughing stock if after all of his promoting his burning day, he had only a few to burn. His big mouth backed him tinto a corner. Unless he can get a small mountain of Qurans he will look very foolish in the press after all of his shooting his mouth off. He probabably discovered that The English translations are not the Qur'an and he probably has never seen a Quran.

glo
09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I can't believe that a tiny group of people has been given such power and influence across the world by the media!
Dove Church has truly been put on the map now! :heated:
They should not have been given the time of day.

On a positive note, there have been so many clear and public statements against this from so many political and religious leaders across the world, that I am very much encouraged!

I have missed the petition, but I will still sign it now.

I heard Terry Jones say this morning that the Qu'ran burning event had been called off because "a local imam had told him an Islamic centre planned near New York's Ground Zero would be moved".
Is that what this has all been about? Trying to blackmail people into changing the plans for the mosque near Ground Zero??!

Is it true that the plans are going to be changed?
I cannot imagine that the political powers would bow to a crazy minority group like that.
If you can affect changes like that by threatening to burn a holy book, how long will it take before somebody else cooks up another crazy scheme??

Innocent Soul
09-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Assalamualaikum

Is it true that the plans are going to be changed?
I don't they can change the plan as many people are against the burning.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
i heard it was called off to not put American troops at risk. i don't know what the hell that has anything to do with it. it sounds like a lame and far fetched excuse....i highly doubt that's the real reason.

and i dont know what they were trying to prove by setting the date on 9/11...maybe they don't get enough attention at home.

abdussattar
09-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I prodded further about religious relatives. “Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all part of the Abrahamic tree of faith. We all believe in the same God, and in many aspects we are all trying to accomplish the same goals. And in Islam, there are things that I think any follower of any other religion could learn from. Take prayer, for example. In Islam, one prays at least five times a day. The discipline to do that? Few of us have it. And like Christianity and Judaism, there is a strong call to love God and your neighbor.”
“The average American inherently assumes that Islam is violent and decidedly anti-American because we haven’t taken the time to experience Islam from an individual perspective or as a faith up close.
^ Words to ponder on ^

Grace Seeker
09-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Does it matter why he changed his mind? I'm just glad that he did. Personally, I'm of the opinion that behind all the petitions, emails, political pressure and media attention what finally effected change were the concerted prayers of God's people, both Christian and Muslim.

Muslim Woman
09-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Salaam /Peace

well , he just postponed it , not cancelled :(

Quran-burn pastor insists he was promised mosque will move
Pastor Terry Jones continued to insist, on "Good Morning America" today, that he'd extracted a promise from Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf to move the mosque near Ground Zero, which the imam and his wife deny.

He said that "right now" he doesn't plan to burn the Quran, adding, "We believe that the imam is going to keep his word, what he promised us yesterday. "

It seems hard to believe that Rauf, less than a day after saying national security would be threatened by moving the site, would have made such a pledge.

His wife Daisy Khan reportedly has said they will meet with Jones, but not tomorrow, on the 9/11 anniversary.

Grace Seeker
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, I guess we need more prayer. Crazy these two things are even linked with each other, though in a strange way it might provide cover for each to change their plans while saving face at the same time.

The present situation according to msnbc, updated as of 9/9/2010 9:29:07 PM ET

glo
09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Good reminder, Grace Seeker.

Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in circumstances and feel the need to do or say the right thing, that we forget to turn to God and let HIM deal with the situation.

Woodrow
09-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Perhaps some good can come from Terry Jones and his small bunch of confused followers. Perhaps this can be used as a live demonstration that a small group does not represent any particular group of people. Just as people are learning that Terry Jones does not represent either Americans or Christians this may serve to show Americans and Christians that the actions of wrong doers does not represent Islam.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Does it matter why he changed his mind? I'm just glad that he did. Personally, I'm of the opinion that behind all the petitions, emails, political pressure and media attention what finally effected change were the concerted prayers of God's people, both Christian and Muslim.
yes, becuase it shows what a phoney he is.

he's a slime anyway...the way he suddenly made it about the ground zero mosque to put Muslims under pressure to retract their decision about the mosque. absolutely NO-ONE said anything about a contract that if Muslims are to back down from that mosque than the burning is going be put off. when did it become about that? very sly and cunning.

جوري
09-11-2010, 12:53 AM
that piece of land belongs to Muslims anyway, even a priest came on TV to talk about a 400 year Muslim presence in this country as trump offered to buy it for less amount than it is worth.. these turds can protest until they are blue in the face, I don't know how much more harassment they can subject Muslims to, or how overt is their hatred.. and they wonder why the world despises them!

جوري
09-11-2010, 12:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Perhaps some good can come from Terry Jones and his small bunch of confused followers. Perhaps this can be used as a live demonstration that a small group does not represent any particular group of people. Just as people are learning that Terry Jones does not represent either Americans or Christians this may serve to show Americans and Christians that the actions of wrong doers does not represent Islam.
in fact I hope it backfires on them in a huge way.. reminds me from a poetic verse my father shared today, about Islam being a rock, fought against by a wild animal with antlers who ended up breaking them (his antlers) that is in an effort to remove it (the rock).. I wouldn't go so far to classify that man as an animal, he is a few notches below if at all possible for the amoeba to accommodate him!

abdussattar
09-11-2010, 02:30 AM
I didnt know that the mosque and burning were related... I thought he was burning quraan because he thinks quraan was responsible for the 9/11 attacks?

I think he is making an excuse , thinking about his fate if he burns the quraan...

جوري
09-11-2010, 02:38 AM
fi jouhnama wa b'es almaseer ma3 amthaloho insha'Allah.. whether or not he goes ahead with it.. it is true as in the noble Quran, these are their utterances but what their heart hides is even more abominable if that is at all imaginable.......

Asiyah3
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Al-hamdulillah wal-lahu bikulli kulli shay'in 'aleem.

Woodrow
09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Terry Jones is grasping at straws to find a reasonable excuse to explain why he canceled the Qur'an burning. The only reason is because he was an idiot to even come up with the idea and he never had enough support to get more Qur'ans that the one or 2 he himself bought. People are not going to buy Qur'ans and donate them to him so he can burn them. He had a dumb idea, got publicity, maybe not the kind he wanted and now has himself backed into a corner. Idiots often do self destruct when they try to implement a stupid plan.

We should send him a Thank You card. I suspect very many people who would have never thought of reading the Qur'an are now reading it, just to see what Terry Jones was all inflamed over.

abdussattar
09-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I suspect very many people who would have never thought of reading the Qur'an are now reading it,
True. The post is there on page 2 "If they can burn it, we can read it"

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1365595

Sawdah
09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I think all of this was an over-hype. Plus, Terry Jones is just a big talker, says he's going to do something, but doesn't at the end. I don't think he was realizing what he was saying at time because now everyone was waiting to see if he was actually going to do it. It seems that this event of his got out of hand and now, he couldn't back down and look like a big talker in front of everyone.

By the way, since this Burn a Qur'an Day isn't going to happen, what's he going to do with the Qur'an? I was watching this video and he said he has 200 copies of Qur'an and a bunch of wood. :hmm:

Woodrow
09-11-2010, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SeekerofJannah
I think all of this was an over-hype. Plus, Terry Jones is just a big talker, says he's going to do something, but doesn't at the end. I don't think he was realizing what he was saying at time because now everyone was waiting to see if he was actually going to do it. It seems that this event of his got out of hand and now, he couldn't back down and look like a big talker in front of everyone.

By the way, since this Burn a Qur'an Day isn't going to happen, what's he going to do with the Qur'an? I was watching this video and he said he has 200 copies of Qur'an and a bunch of wood. :hmm:
He does not have as much as one Qur'an. He has 200 copies of a Translation. I read some where that a few people are offering to donate up to 300 Real Qur'ans to be distributed to sincere searchers, for each Qur'an translation Terry Jones Burns. His little fiasco may turn into the largest mass distribution of Qur'ans to ever take place. It has made some of us realize how many sincere seekers do not have a Qur'an.

Danah
09-11-2010, 09:03 PM
The interesting thing is that I saw in the news that he said that he didn't read Quran nor he knows what is inside Quran but he just wanted to burn the Quran anyways.

SubhanAllah!! whats wrong with those people? They are just acting blindly without even thinking about what they are doing!!

Sawdah
09-12-2010, 03:08 AM
He does not have as much as one Qur'an. He has 200 copies of a Translation. I read some where that a few people are offering to donate up to 300 Real Qur'ans to be distributed to sincere searchers, for each Qur'an translation Terry Jones Burns. His little fiasco may turn into the largest mass distribution of Qur'ans to ever take place. It has made some of us realize how many sincere seekers do not have a Qur'an.
That's true, subhanAllah. Another blessing in disguise.

I was reading this post from a blog that said the following benefits:

Benefits of the National Burn A Koran Day
by Ikram Kurdi on Thursday, September 09, 2010

1. Driving more people away from intolerant versions of Christianity.
2. Generating even more interest in Islam. People will be interested in a book that they are told to burn. If I told you to burn W. Somerset Maugham's book, Moon and Sixpence, your first reaction will probably be to go to Google and see what the book is about. You may even end up reading it.
3. Increasing the profits of companies that print the Quran.

Similar to what I suggested about Draw Prophet Muhammad Day, my suggestion about this event is this: do nothing about it.
I actually Googled the book. I can only imagine how many people have Googled the Qur'an, although I'm guessing they've wikied it...

Woodrow
09-12-2010, 03:35 AM
My apologies to all. My irresponsible reply derailed the thread. I deleted my post and all posts related to it. It is best we all stay on the original topic.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-12-2010, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
I didnt know that the mosque and burning were related...
exactly, they weren't/arent. he's just trying make something out of nothing so that if we didnt retract the decision of the masjid, it would make us look bad and the burnings justified.

I thought he was burning quraan because he thinks quraan was responsible for the 9/11 attacks?
even if it was, it still goes to show what an utter idiot he is. after all, how is burning Qurans in the pretext of condemning 9/11, any better than 9/11 itself. it doesn't sound very consistent to me. another ill-thought, dumb excuse.

Woodrow
09-12-2010, 02:13 PM
It seems Terry Jones was given a very strong incentive. to cancel.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Security is being increased in Gainesville, Fla., because of a church's plan to burn the Quran on Saturday. And city officials say they'll be sending a bill to the church.

The plan by the Dove World Outreach Center to burn copies of the Muslim holy book on the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks has drawn international condemnation. Officials fear it could spark anti-American and anti-Christian violence.

President Barack Obama, Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and Gainesville Mayor Craig Lowe are among those condemning the church's plans.

City spokesman Bob Woods says he expects the costs of extra security will be substantial, and the church will be billed.

Officials aren't saying how many extra officers will be on duty.

Gainesville police will already be dealing with some 90,000 football fans plus tailgaters for the Florida-South Florida game.

And at least one counter-protest is planned by a University of Florida student group.

SOURCE

MartyrX
09-12-2010, 08:05 PM
That's probably the real reason he cancelled. I saw an interview he did with I think Anderson Cooper, and he couldn't say one thing out of the Our'an. The man will answer for this when he's in the afterlife.

M.I.A.
09-12-2010, 11:52 PM
well he probably already built a mosque in a round about way so he might aswell build one with his own hands aswell.

Woodrow
09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M.I.A.
well he probably already built a mosque in a round about way so he might aswell build one with his own hands aswell.

For a moment I thought you were being sarcastic. But, I see where you are coming from and I believe you are right. Ironically he has probably done more to promote Islam in the USA then those of us who are sincerely trying to do Da'wah.

It would be a fitting gesture if we could name an Islamic study center after him. (I'm being a touch sarcastic, I would never support the naming of an Islamic center after him)

But, his failed show has done much good for Islam here.

cihad
09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
inshallah, this will just lead more people to become curious about the Quran, and read it and discover its beauty

Grace Seeker
09-13-2010, 08:51 PM

For a moment I thought you were being sarcastic. But, I see where you are coming from and I believe you are right. Ironically he has probably done more to promote Islam in the USA then those of us who are sincerely trying to do Da'wah.

But, his failed show has done much good for Islam here.
You're right, his failed show did do much good for Islam. But I would ask you to consider the real source of that. Was it not the good found in the actions of all those in this country (a country that many Muslims outside of the USA think hates Islam) who stood in solidarity with Muslims and opposed to this man's proposed plans. There were some, of course, who supported Jones and some who opposed him out of fear of potential reprisal if he went ahead. But it seemed to me that the vast majority of Americans opposed Jones because they saw the Qu'ran burning as being in the wrong and disrespectful.

sabr*
09-13-2010, 09:33 PM

Surah Al Hijr 15:9

9. Verily We: It is We Who have sent down the Dhikr (i.e. the Qur'an) and surely, We will guard it (from corruption).
(Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

manaal
09-13-2010, 11:15 PM
^ Maybe, but that doesn't stop them from being too thick to understand that no one is trying to "construct" a "mosque" near Ground Zero.

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 12:49 AM
You're right, his failed show did do much good for Islam. But I would ask you to consider the real source of that. Was it not the good found in the actions of all those in this country (a country that many Muslims outside of the USA think hates Islam) who stood in solidarity with Muslims and opposed to this man's proposed plans. There were some, of course, who supported Jones and some who opposed him out of fear of potential reprisal if he went ahead. But it seemed to me that the vast majority of Americans opposed Jones because they saw the Qu'ran burning as being in the wrong and disrespectful.
True there was a very good amount of support from most people. Terry Jones received very little if any support for his flagrant disrespect.

Yes, he did fail because people saw through his hatred, May Allaah(swt) be praised.

Zafran
09-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Salaam

he may have failed but some people in the US didnt - below shows a man ripping the copy of the Quran outside ground zero and and some christians burning copies of the the Quran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WaB2...layer_embedded

peace

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

he may have failed but some people in the US didnt - below shows a man ripping the copy of the Quran outside ground zero and and some christians burning copies of the the Quran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WaB2...layer_embeddedpeace
While that is true. It also backfired and brought even more support for condemnation of the Qur'an burners. I really doubt if those idiots expected the reaction they got from non-Muslims.

Witnesses said it was a ghastly display of fervor - apparently inspired by the Florida pastor who vowed to torch the holy books earlier in the week - overshadowing what should have been a somber day.

"Burning Korans is like setting up a recruitment to Al Qaeda - it does nothing for the cause and only brings problems," said Lance Corey, 61, a retired history teacher from the Bronx who opposes Park51.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0zTaz6X7A
SOURCE

Zafran
09-14-2010, 05:24 AM
"If they can burn American flags, I can burn the Koran," the unidentified zealot shouted.
Salaam

This just shows that zealots have a lot in common from both sides. The use similar excuses to justify there hate.

peace

abdussattar
09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Hmm It just shows THEIR intolerance.

What is great in ripping off a non-living book?

What would sadden me more is a MUSLIM burning/ripping/tearing the bible or gita or any such books.

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 12:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Hmm It just shows THEIR intolerance.

What is great in ripping off a non-living book?

What would sadden me more is a MUSLIM burning/ripping/tearing the bible or gita or any such books.
True, that is what would sad. Yet I do not know of one Muslim having every defiled the Holy Books of any religion no matter how much they hated and despised the adherents of the religion.

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

This just shows that zealots have a lot in common from both sides. The use similar excuses to justify there hate.

peace
True. It is also a good reminder that we are not to imitate the Kafir. ( See Brother abdussattar's post)

MartyrX
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Sounds like an outstanding church. Maybe the authorities need to take a good look at them.

MEG
09-14-2010, 08:57 PM
This church is more comical than stupid. Isn't burning the Qu 'ran the most respectful way of disposing it anyway?

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
Sounds like an outstanding church. Maybe the authorities need to take a good look at them.

I believe Terry's latest exploit may bring much unwanted attention to the church. I understand there has been some question about illegal tax exemptions among other problems. I don't think he really wanted any government authorities to ever take a close look at the church. His little publicity stunt has not only served to promote Islam, it may very well have brought about the end of the church (Small c is deliberate, a Church is a religious building, this is not a religious organization)

Koran-burning Florida church will feel the tax man's bite

SOURCE

Part of Dove World will go on tax rolls
The controversial church runs a for-profit business on part of its property.

By Chad Smith
Staff writer

Published: Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 at 9:12 p.m.

( page of 3 )

After an investigation earlier this year, the Alachua County Property Appraiser has determined that a controversial Gainesville church will have to pay taxes on part of its 20-acre property because it operates a for-profit business there.

Officials at the Dove World Outreach Center, which calls itself a charismatic Christian church and recently made national news for its plans to burn the Quran on Sept. 11, also run a business, TS and Company, selling furniture online out of the church's complex on Northwest 37th Street.
SOURCE

manaal
09-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Uncle Woodrow, why are we discussing this man and his so called church at all? Personally, i think he's being over exposed on this forum.

I suggest that we should contaminating this forum with discussion about a stupid man. Those who want to know more about him can just ask Google.

Woodrow
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Uncle Woodrow, why are we discussing this man and his so called church at all? Personally, i think he's being over exposed on this forum.

I suggest that we should contaminating this forum with discussion about a stupid man. Those who want to know more about him can just ask Google.

Good point.

However I am not going to do an immediate closing of the threads. I am first going to merge the Terry Jones threads. Then allow a reasonable time from for any members who desire to, can leave a closing post.

Grace Seeker
09-15-2010, 01:56 AM
In addition to the response of non-Muslims who opposed the Qu'ran burning, I must confess to being pleasantly surprised by the Muslim's community's response as well. Rare were reports of those things that many feared of the sorts of riots that broke out in the past with the Danish cartoons and other percieved insults. Rather, it seems that Muslims did understand that this was just one man and a very small church and they accepted it as such, not an indictment of all.

So, my appreciation to those in the Muslim community who have helped facilitate keeping the peace and prevented there from being an over-reaction.

جوري
09-15-2010, 02:09 AM
In addition to the response of non-Muslims who opposed the Qu'ran burning, I must confess to being pleasantly surprised by the Muslim's community's response as well. Rare were reports of those things that many feared of the sorts of riots that broke out in the past with the Danish cartoons and other percieved insults. Rather, it seems that Muslims did understand that this was just one man and a very small church and they accepted it as such, not an indictment of all.

So, my appreciation to those in the Muslim community who have helped facilitate keeping the peace and prevented there from being an over-reaction.

I didn't personally see it as one man, I felt he represented a great deal, however, he is irrelevant as those he represents whether they are over or covert about their feelings.
the Quran isn't merely a book on paper, it is a living word of God that even if every copy is burned can be reproduced anew from the hearts of the faithful-- I'd wonder if every bible were burned how much of it would remain in the hearts of people? and well no center or 'Mosque' really matters either, any small room where the faithful gather to pray is sufficient. Islam isn't concerned with grand architecture or what is written in paper and translated to another language.
So you can see why, whether this man represents a small congregation or the majority of westerners is really of no consequence to a Muslim.. I don't think burning a book or protesting a center is equal to killing Muslims subjugating them or holding them without trial are equal, and that should definitely be protested!

all the best

IslamicRevival
09-15-2010, 02:21 AM
This devil had a small following of no more then 50 people, This guy is a nobody. All he wanted is a bit of fame and he got it.

To hell with this luciferian and move on.

This thread deserves locking

Woodrow
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM

All that needs to be said has been said. May we all gain, what could have been a nasty event, fizzled out in a very peaceful manner.

Over time this may become a turning point.

:threadclo:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!