/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it's okay for me to do this?

AlwaysIslam
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I've been reading the English translated Quran. The one where the arabic words are sounded out in English so one who does not speak Arabic as a native language can pronounce the words in arabic. So I read the surah's in the english letters and then read the meaning so I can understand what I am reading. Do you think Allah will still give me credit for reading the Quran even though I am not reading the Arabic letters? I am just worried that if I read the Arabic only I will make mistakes. I am still learning to read Arabic and am not fluent in it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
09-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Salaam sis

try to learn Arabic . U can use a copy where both the Arabic and English words with meaning are available. If u have any doubt , then u can check it with English sounds.

AlwaysIslam
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Alright Jazak Allah Khair sis =) Tonight when I read Quran I will first attempt to read the Arabic with the English pronunciations on the side. Just if I have any doubt that is ^_^. I think I would feel like I accomplished more if I read in the language Allah gave his word.
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam sis

try to learn Arabic . U can use a copy where both the Arabic and English words with meaning are available. If u have any doubt , then u can check it with English sounds.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-09-2010, 05:59 AM
:sl:
im not sure about the answer to your actual question, but i will advise you not to take "short cuts" when learning how to read the Quran/learning Arabic.

1) the quran is in Arabic not transliterated English :]
2) you may learn a word in the transliterated English which may stay stuck and may cause you difficulties later on if/when you actually learn the proper way of pronouncing it.
3) transliterations don't do justice to the Arabic. they only go so far in aiding with reading becuase there are letters in Arabic that don't exist in the English language, so there going to be slight modifications in the pronunciations of letters/words and this can sometimes change the meaning drastically.

so yes, try to lean arabic. you only need very basic Arabic when reading the quran anyway. so the alphabet and how to pronounce the letters properly, recognition of letters when they are written in the beginning, middle and end of a word (dead easy) and what/how to pronouce the dhammah, kasrah and fathah. that's more or less it...

those basic stuff will only take a few weeks at most to learn. after all you are just reading :]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abdul Wahid
09-09-2010, 06:48 AM

Good advice given by the sisters. Learn Arabic and InshaALLAH you will see the difference between reading/learning in Arabic and English.

Just to add you say your in the process of learning Arabic so that is good. What also helps is listening to the recitation in Arabic.

If your struggling with prayer - http://www.islamcan.com/salat/duas/index.shtml

This is a good site where you can learn Surah's - http://www.mounthira.com/

May ALLAH(SWT) make it easy for you, keep you steadfast on the deen and increase your knowledge. Ameen.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
09-09-2010, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlwaysIslam
I've been reading the English translated Quran. The one where the arabic words are sounded out in English so one who does not speak Arabic as a native language can pronounce the words in arabic. So I read the surah's in the english letters and then read the meaning so I can understand what I am reading. Do you think Allah will still give me credit for reading the Quran even though I am not reading the Arabic letters? I am just worried that if I read the Arabic only I will make mistakes. I am still learning to read Arabic and am not fluent in it.
You need to buy this:

The Essentials of Quranic Reading is an innovative and exciting system designed to take a student from the very first steps of recognizing the Arabic letters to being able to read out of the Quran. Designed for the English speaker, Br. Wisam guides the student through the process of letter recognition, correct pronunciation, word assembly to the stages of basic reading and writing. This system includes online resources, activities and tools that one can use to maximize the benefits and succeed in reading out of a Quran in Arabic. Through this system, students will build a solid foundation which will strengthen as they continue through the lessons.
http://bayyinah.com/courses/dvd-courses/

He's an amazing instructor that has developed this system after working hard it for a long time. You'll really learn to read the Qur'an in Arabic with proper pronunciation insha'Allaah.

Here's a sample of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au4YDVB6iok

manaal
09-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Islam hasn't been sent down to only those who can read. Our Prophet :saws1: was illiterate and learned the qura'n as was told to him by the angel Jibreel. He did not "read" the qur'an but recited by memory.

Therefore I don't think it will make any difference if you read the qura'n from Arabic text or transliterated text as long as you pronounce the words properly. I read Qura'n in Arabic, but as I am not a native Arabic speaker I listen to the recitation of an Imam to correct my pronunciation. (I use Tanzil Qura'n navigator)

I find this easy because as a mum of a toddler and an infant, I don't have the time to go for any Tajweed recitation classes.

In the end, you should do what is easy for you, as Islam is neither a difficult or impractical religion.

AlwaysIslam
09-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Jazak Allah Khair everyone for the wonderful advice and links! I have already favorited the multiple links that you all have posted and will be showing my parents the Quran reading software so that they can buy it for me inshAllah =)

Ummu Sufyaan
09-10-2010, 05:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by manaal
Islam hasn't been sent down to only those who can read. Our Prophet :saws1: was illiterate and learned the qura'n as was told to him by the angel Jibreel. He did not "read" the qur'an but recited by memory.

Therefore I don't think it will make any difference if you read the qura'n from Arabic text or transliterated text as long as you pronounce the words properly.
how can you tell whether or not you are pronouncing the letters/words properly if you cant recognize them in their Arabic forms? as i said above, the transliterations only go so far =).

I read Qura'n in Arabic, but as I am not a native Arabic speaker I listen to the recitation of an Imam to correct my pronunciation. (I use [U]Tanzil Qura'n navigator)
sometimes the imams make mistakes in their recitations as well, so if you haven't learnt it yourself, you wont have the ability/knowledge to recognize the imam's mistakes and will learn it how you heard it from him.

Hamza Asadullah
09-18-2010, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlwaysIslam
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallahu khayran for your question. My sister Allah knows that you are trying your best to learn Arabic so that you may recite the Qur'an in its original language. Therefore as long as you try your best to learn the proper Arabic way of reciting then there is no harm in reading the Qur'an in transliterated Arabic.

Learning the meanings to what we pray in Salaah is also very important as this will help us to gain more awareness during Salaa of what we are reciting and one will be able to concentrate on ones Salaah more and gain khushu(Being aware of Allah whilst doing a good act).

The answer to your question is in the following hadith:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Those who recite the Qur'an beautifully are like the noble scribes (angels); but as for those who are struggling to read it with hardship will merit double rewards" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Therefore rejoice for you are earning double reward for your efforts.

I have also taken the liberty to find you Qur'an with Tajweed software downloads whereby you can learn the Qur'an and many more Qur'an resources. Try these:

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/servi...ls.aspx?id=217

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/servi...ls.aspx?id=323

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/servi...ls.aspx?id=260

The easy dictionary of the Qur'an

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/servi...ils.aspx?id=29

Learning tajweed rules

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/MainPage/Tajweed.php

Loads of more Qur'an learning resources

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/MainPage/Tajweed.php

May Allah make it easy for you and all of us to learn and recite the Qur'an correctly. Ameen

And Allah knows best in all matters

manaal
09-20-2010, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

sometimes the imams make mistakes in their recitations as well, so if you haven't learnt it yourself, you wont have the ability/knowledge to recognize the imam's mistakes and will learn it how you heard it from him.
Well if the likes of Imam Shuraim, Sa'ad Al Ghamdi et al makes mistakes with all their training and practice............. :hmm:

But, my sis, you don;t know my past and my plans for the future.

My past: My dad taught me basic pronunciation and Tajweed. I learned my tajweed, the same way many people learn English grammar, i.e. Without all the technical terms and theory.

My future: Insha Allah, when my son is old enough I shall send him to learn Tajweed. And when he becomes a Qaari with Allahs guidance I shall learn tajweed from him!:statisfie

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81

The answer to your question is in the following hadith:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Those who recite the Qur'an beautifully are like the noble scribes (angels); but as for those who are struggling to read it with hardship will merit double rewards" (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Therefore rejoice for you are earning double reward for your efforts.
Was thinking about this hadith, but didn't know where to find it. Jazakallahu Khair.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-20-2010, 07:04 AM
^ok cool, it was just general advise.

manaal
09-23-2010, 04:39 AM
^ Yes I understand. But, you must admit, I'm smart right? I mean about learning from my son? :statisfie

Yanal
09-23-2010, 04:52 AM

Try to learn Arabic as soon as possible so you can start reciting the Qur'an in Arabic,insha'Allaah. May Allaah make it easier for you and everybody else who are in the similar situation,ameen.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!