/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is my praying wrong?

AlwaysIslam
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
As Salaam mu Alaikum.

I've always been taught that when sitting in prayers and reciting aytal-kursi one raises their right index finger for a few seconds when they say the verse " Ashadu Allah illAllah hu" and put it back down to symbolize that there is only one God who is Allah. But I noticed that when I pray there are many around me particularly the arabs who constantly move their index finger in circles pointing downwards when sitting. Is there a reason they do this? What did the prophet(pbuh) do during reciting Aytal Kursi? I wan't my prayers to be following that of the prophet (pubh).

Jazak Allah Khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Wahid
09-09-2010, 06:23 AM
:wa: sister

No your not praying wrong.

You don't pray Ayat-ul-Kursi in Salaat. Ayat-ul-Kursi is:

"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede In His presence except As he permitteth? He knoweth What (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory)." [Surah al-Baqarah 2: 255]

However sister Ayat-ul-Kursi has a high status. It is the greatest verse in the Qur'an. The virtue of reciting this verse after the prescribed prayers, it was narrated that Abu Umamah said: The Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) said: "Whoever recites Ayat Al-Kursi immediately after each prescribed Prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death." (Reported by An-Nasa'i and Ibn Hibban.)

You just confused the names. Not to worry. Your talking about Tashahud.
tashahhud 1?w275 -
‘All compliments, prayers and pure words are due to Allaah. Peace be upon you, O Prophet, and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings. Peace be upon us, and on the righteous slaves of Allaah. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.’

With regards to raising your index finger then the scholars differed on this. There are 4 main school of thoughts. Hanafi, Shaafi, Maliki & Hanbali. I presume you are a Hanafi.

Anyway here are their views:
1 – The Hanafi's say that the finger should be raised when saying “Laa (no)” in the phrase “Ash-hadu an laa ilaaha ill-Allah (I bear witness that there is no god except Allah)” and it should be lowered when saying, “ill-Allah (except Allah).”

2 – The Shaafi's say that it should be raised when saying “ill-Allah.”

3 – The Maliki's say that it should be moved right and left until one finishes the prayer.

4 – The Hanbali's say that one should point with the finger when saying the name of Allaah, without moving it.

When the following is reached during Attahiyaat (Tashahud) the index finger of the right hand should be raised during the denial part of Shahada (testimony) and dropped on the right index finger should be put down during the affirmation part of Shahada (testimony) while the other three fingers should be closed (as in a fist) thus making a ring between the thumb and the index finger.

I testify that there is no god but ALLAH and I testify that Muhammad is His servant and Messenger

Evidence: Ibn 'Umar reported that when the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) sat for Tashahud he placed his left hand on his left knee and his right hand on his right knee. and he raised his right finger, which is next to the thumb, making supplication in this way, and he stretched his left hand on his left knee. Another version on the authority of Ibn Umar says: When the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) sat for Tashahud, he placed his left hand on his left knee and placed his right hand on his right knee, and he formed a ring like (fifty-three) and pointed with his finger of attestation.[Muslim]

AlwaysIslam
09-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Jazak Allah Khair brother. That was very helpful =).

Muslim Woman
09-10-2010, 04:33 AM
Salaam bro

that was very informative . Thanks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!