/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend me some books? (and anything else...)

Tyrion
09-09-2010, 12:14 AM
:sl:

I was hoping you guys could recommend me some good books. Genre doesn't matter, so feel free to suggest anything from a science textbook to a fantasy novel. :p

Also, if anyone knows any decent movies/shows/ANYTHING, then please share. :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a really great book it was also made into a movie so read then watch lol

islamirama
09-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Wa'alaikum as'salaam,

World of Jinn & Devils

http://islamqa.com/en/books

ghost
09-15-2010, 10:13 PM
the kite runner is terrible.

i'm a fan of sci-fi so i suggest you check out stargate sg-1.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S.Belle
09-15-2010, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ghost
the kite runner is terrible.

i'm a fan of sci-fi so i suggest you check out stargate sg-1.
Ahh come on u really thought that..wait are you talking about the book or the movie bc the movie was horrible.
oh another good read bro tyrion is Silence of the Lambs or Eragon.

IslamicRevival
09-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Purification Of The Heart - By Sheikh Hamza Yusuf

islamirama
09-16-2010, 05:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
Purification Of The Heart - By Sheikh Hamza Yusuf
I"d advise against reading anything by that deviant sufi

Tyrion
09-16-2010, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a really great book it was also made into a movie so read then watch lol
I've actually already read The Kite Runner, and I've gotta say... I didn't think it was that great. :p Perhaps it's just because I'm Afghan and I didn't like his portrayals of the country and its people... I dunno. My dad feels the same way I do, but I think my mom enjoyed it. :p

ghost
09-16-2010, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I've actually already read The Kite Runner, and I've gotta say... I didn't think it was that great. :p Perhaps it's just because I'm Afghan and I didn't like his portrayals of the country and its people... I dunno. My dad feels the same way I do, but I think my mom enjoyed it. :p
I noticed that its mostly women who like that book even though its terrible. The Alchemist is also crap. And so is Twilight.

islamirama
09-16-2010, 06:08 AM
if your looking for western books, of mice and men was good

Tyrion
09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
if your looking for western books, of mice and men was good
Ah, I remember reading that book in High School. I really liked it, even though most of the class didn't seem to enjoy it at all :P

Lynx
09-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Watchmen by Alan Moore. (yes it's just as good as a book)

Ramadhan
09-16-2010, 08:36 AM
La Tahzan (Don't Be Sad) by Dr. 'Aaidh Al-Qorni

Tyrion
09-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Just out of curiosity... What makes you say he's deviant?

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 11:06 AM
I would watch that loose tongue of yours before cursing one of the most renowned scholars of the past decade. He is only one of a few scholars who in today's world is 'in the times', A scholar who repeatedly preaches Muslim unity. I have not seen any scholar that delivers a speech in such an eloquent yet simplistic manner. Alhamdulillah, Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is someone who is looked upto by Millions of Muslims including myself, and i will not accept any layman slandering him and discrediting his credentials

Yes he is a Sufi, Someone who loves Allah Azzawajal, our beloved Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him and The Ahle Bayt. Sort yourself out instead of cursing a great scholar

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Just out of curiosity... What makes you say he's deviant?
Ignore him. Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is on Haq, The right path. Only an ignorant individual would say otherwise

nebula
09-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Akhe troubled soul dont be fooled by his eloquent speech, just because someone speaks welll or knows alot about arabic language does not make them a person of knowledge whom you can take your religion from. The people of the sunnah have warned against hamza yusuf, he is a big time sufi, sufism is not the authentic islaam that the prophet muhammed peace be upon him was upon or his companions, the 3 earliest generations of islaam were upon.

nebula
09-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Hamza Yusuf is amongst the `aqlaaniyyah (rationalists), mu`attilah (deniers of Allaah's Attributes), and mutasawwifah - and his collections of video lectures, audio lectures, and his own website (still operative and available online) is ample testimony to this.

The courses taught at his institute use the book "Jawharat ut-Tawheed" - the book that preaches and invites to the heresies of ta'teel and (false) ta'weel and tafweed, a book which is a base and pole for the Mu`attilah. His institute teaches al-Burdah of al-Busayree which is a poem that invites to Shirk with Allaah, invites to Istigaathah from other than Allaah, and which has been refuted by the Scholars of Tawheed and the Sunnah.

See the screenshot (taken from his website today) attached for a mention of these books used for his curriculum.

You can see some refutations of excerpts from al-Burdah here:
http://www.sahab.net/sahab/showthrea...hreadid=294580

And I have also heard this person on a video lecture making the following two remarks, "This concern with `aqeedah is a sickness in the minds of the Muslims", and "I can go to the desert in Mauritania and learn Tawheed in five minutes", which gives further insight into his ignorance and misguidance.

There is much much more from his lectures, but to be honest, once you hear a few statements like this, and you realise what he is actively promoting, and you are someone who knows and understands the Salafee `aqeedah, you wouldn't want to waste any more time on him or his likes because the affair would be sufficiently clear already. My advice is to study and learn the Salafee `aqeedah using whatever is accessible to you from the speech and works of the Scholars of the Sunnah, and the prominent books such as al-Waasitiyyah, and at-Tadmuriyyah and Kitaab ut-Tawheed so you have a good grounding in these most important subjects.

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 01:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
Akhe troubled soul dont be fooled by his eloquent speech, just because someone speaks welll or knows alot about arabic language does not make them a person of knowledge whom you can take your religion from. The people of the sunnah have warned against hamza yusuf, he is a big time sufi, sufism is not the authentic islaam that the prophet muhammed peace be upon him was upon or his companions, the 3 earliest generations of islaam were upon.
Im well aware of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf's Aqeedah, what he teaches is authentic and it is from Quran and Sunnah. The 'people of sunnah' you refer to who speak out against Sheikh Hamza Yusuf I disagree with. The majority of Scholars i have come across acknowledge Hamza Yusuf as part of Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'at.

You people can scream and shout, DEVIANT, SHIRK, BIDAH all you want but I know thats not the case. I have learnt so much from Sheikh Hamza Yusuf and will continue to do so InshAllah. I always stand up for the truth and will continue to do so.

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Hamza Yusuf is amongst the `aqlaaniyyah (rationalists), mu`attilah (deniers of Allaah's Attributes), and mutasawwifah - and his collections of video lectures, audio lectures, and his own website (still operative and available online) is ample testimony to this.

The courses taught at his institute use the book "Jawharat ut-Tawheed" - the book that preaches and invites to the heresies of ta'teel and (false) ta'weel and tafweed, a book which is a base and pole for the Mu`attilah. His institute teaches al-Burdah of al-Busayree which is a poem that invites to Shirk with Allaah, invites to Istigaathah from other than Allaah, and which has been refuted by the Scholars of Tawheed and the Sunnah.

See the screenshot (taken from his website today) attached for a mention of these books used for his curriculum.

You can see some refutations of excerpts from al-Burdah here:
http://www.sahab.net/sahab/showthrea...hreadid=294580

And I have also heard this person on a video lecture making the following two remarks, "This concern with `aqeedah is a sickness in the minds of the Muslims", and "I can go to the desert in Mauritania and learn Tawheed in five minutes", which gives further insight into his ignorance and misguidance.

There is much much more from his lectures, but to be honest, once you hear a few statements like this, and you realise what he is actively promoting, and you are someone who knows and understands the Salafee `aqeedah, you wouldn't want to waste any more time on him or his likes because the affair would be sufficiently clear already. My advice is to study and learn the Salafee `aqeedah using whatever is accessible to you from the speech and works of the Scholars of the Sunnah, and the prominent books such as al-Waasitiyyah, and at-Tadmuriyyah and Kitaab ut-Tawheed so you have a good grounding in these most important subjects.
May Allah Azzawajal guide you. Your comments I highlighted in bright red are disgusting. How can a Muslim say such a thing about a beautiful, uplifting, spiritual and heart softening poem which is devoted to our Beloved Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon him, The Best Of Mankind. You blindly following the misleading interpretations of certain poetic verses is dangerous. This is a spiritual poem and whoever says it is shirk needs to do some proper research and understand the true spiritual meaning behind it. Many scholars have refuted this Fatwa which is based on nothing but ignorance.

Thanks for your invitation to practice Salafi Aqeedah but no thanks. Most Salafi's sadly deem everything to be SHIRK, BIDAH and INNOVATION out of ignorance which in turn causes disunity amongst the Ummah. I'll give you one example, I'm not going to mention the name of this scholar but when i was watching a video lecture i stumbled upon, this individual said even hanging up frames on the wall which have MUHAMMAD Peace Be Upon Him Name written on are Bidah and shirk

This is extreme and an attempt to rid our hearts from remembering Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him. These are the sort of people i stay away from, Not follow for they are destroying the true message of Islam

I will sign off with this beautiful poem recited by the late Haji Mushtaq Qadri (May Azzawajal grant him Jannah):

ALLAH HU AKBAR, ALLAH HU AKBAR! :cry:

Zafran
09-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Salaam

Shaykh Hamza Yusuf is part of Alhle sunna wal Jamma - you should actually read his books - the creed of imam thawi is a good start - even better listen to his lectures - rather then listening to people that call everything Bida and shirk.

peace

islamirama
09-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I would watch that loose tongue of yours before cursing one of the most renowned scholars of the past decade. He is only one of a few scholars who in today's world is 'in the times', A scholar who repeatedly preaches Muslim unity. I have not seen any scholar that delivers a speech in such an eloquent yet simplistic manner. Alhamdulillah, Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is someone who is looked upto by Millions of Muslims including myself, and i will not accept any layman slandering him and discrediting his credentials

Yes he is a Sufi, Someone who loves Allah Azzawajal, our beloved Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him and The Ahle Bayt. Sort yourself out instead of cursing a great scholar
Why don't you watch your tongue O ignorant one. That deviant US puppet isn't loved by "Millions", just few ignorant blind followers. Have you heard of Yusuf Estes? Go listen to what he has to say about this deviant sufi, even the deviant's students left him and went and complain to Estes about the deviant bidah stuff he is teaching at his zaytuna club. I've never seen any scholar lick american boots like he has so i don't know what unity you are talking about. Anyways, don't bother replying back to me kid, go do your research first.

Tyrion
09-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Why don't you watch your tongue O ignorant one. That deviant US puppet isn't loved by "Millions", just few ignorant blind followers. Have you heard of Yusuf Estes? Go listen to what he has to say about this deviant sufi, even the deviant's students left him and went and complain to Estes about the deviant bidah stuff he is teaching at his zaytuna club. I've never seen any scholar lick american boots like he has so i don't know what unity you are talking about. Anyways, don't bother replying back to me kid, go do your research first.
Not to sound rude, but if you're going to insult a man who has more or less given his life to study Islam (whether or not what he preaches is correct), the least you can do is post some evidence to back up what you're saying. I don't know enough about him to say anything, but I would be careful before judging or dismissing anyone so carelessly... We don't know enough about the man to be saying such things...

Salahudeen
09-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Hamza Yusuf and his Ideology

Mods delete plz double post

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Why do i need to watch my tongue? I called no one a deviant and neither have i slandered any person. I have not lied either by claiming Imam Busiri's poem is 'Shirk' Oh and i havent screamed SHIRK, BIDAH at EVERYTHING and ANYTHING

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf was an adviser to Bush, Yes that's true and he WARNED bush the war monger not to go ahead with the war in Iraq. That is all there is to it. He has no connection with the US government and he has always spoken out against the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. You want proof? Go watch the Interview Sheikh Hamza Yusuf with Riz Khan on Youtube. It was people like YOU who tarnished the good name of Sheikh Hamza Yusuf and started spreading vicious lies about him being a US puppet and so forth

As for Yusuf Estes, I dont follow any of the scholars on Peace TV and nor do i want to. I respect them all even though i disagree with their views, I dont need to call anyone a deviant to get my point across

islamirama
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Not to sound rude, but if you're going to insult a man who has more or less given his life to study Islam (whether or not what he preaches is correct), the least you can do is post some evidence to back up what you're saying. I don't know enough about him to say anything, but I would be careful before judging or dismissing anyone so carelessly... We don't know enough about the man to be saying such things...
Hamza Yusuf and his Ideology

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
I found this article which is said to be written by Yusuf Estes.
I can also copy and paste articles refuting this person and that but whats the point?

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is on Haq according to me and my view will never change so keep and copy and pasting and wasting your time.

islamirama
09-16-2010, 08:02 PM
I can also copy and paste articles refuting this person and that but whats the point?

Sheikh Hamza Yusuf is on Haq according to me and my view will never change so keep and copy and pasting and wasting your time.
No one is trying to change your view, your free to believe and follow who ever you like.

But we feel it is our duty to let others know all the facts before they decide to follow someone questionable as it is a matter of their aqeedah and that is the last thing you want to gamble with. Abu Huraira wouldn't even take authentic hadith from a person who would deceive his camel and we are willing to carelessly follow someone preaching repetitious formulas and what not when there are more authentic, better and reliable scholars available?

Billal-A
09-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,

LOL Sufis crack me up all they do is generalise and slander Salafis on the basis of emotions. They never bring any refutations, any proofs, any claims, any evidences just spout emotional drama and cheesy dialogue in a weak attempt at villifying the truth and praising the fool!

1. "Salafis call everything bid'ah" - LOL come on peeps this argument is becoming old and dry like the beard on a pensioner's face. Please yaa ikhwaani remember it is the Book and the Sunnah we follow. If something is introduced into the religion, a practice or belief, which has no evidence in it, it is an INNOVATION. Just because Sufis call to and practice 100's of bid'ahs which get refuted does not discredit Salafis on "calling everything bid'ah" it just means nearly everything Sufis do are bid'ah!

2. "Salafis call everything Shirk" - Same again bring proofs for your claim. Bring me one opinion of the Salafis in calling something a bid'ah and shirk which does not have a clear basis in the Quran and Sunnah and the opinions of the Salaf us-Saaliheen. "Bring your proof if you are truthful...". It just seems everything Sufis do are revolved around Shirk and bid'ah.

3. Rasulullaah [saws] after EVERY sermon said: "All newly invented matters are misguidance and all misguidance is in the hellfire". The Prophet [saws] would always rebuke shirk wherever he saw it, would always make what is prohibited clear to the people, so much so that the Salaf made it a principle in our belief system that it is impossible for the Prophet [saws] to see something bad taking place and not warn of it. So anyone who warns of shirk and bid'ah wherever they see it are emulating Rasulullaah [saws] in both enjoining good [by calling to sound aqeedah, tawheed and what is in the authentic sunnah] and forbidding evil [refuting shirk bid'ah and sins].

4. This Yusuf has even been refuted by his own peers and fellow colleagues for making grotesquely idiotic statements the likes of none before him. Eg: Jannah and Jahannam are not real but allegorical! Naudhubillaah! What ignorance is this? Also he said: "The only martyrs from 9/11 are the Firefighters!" - LOL so now Non-Muslims are martyrs in Paradise?????

My advice is take from the true scholars of al-Islaam, ones who only live by the Glorious Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah as understood by the best of people, the Companions, Taabi'oon and Taba' Taabi'een. Those who dont call to vague opinions and whacky and wild ideas such as the filthy bid'ah and shirk that so many "speakers and orators of Islaam" call to. They always are with the truth and always opposed to falsehood and its people.

Learn the Sunnah people, learn what our Messenger [saws] taught us. Stick to those who stick the Book and adhere to its commands and "Obey Allaah and his messenger" and understand that "By Allaah they shall not have eemaan until they place you [Muhammad] as arbiter in all of their affairs..." and "It is not for a people to have a say in a matter after Allaah and his messenger have made it clear" and "Take that which he [Muhammad] gives you and stay away from that which he prohibits you". They follow the Sunnah and adhere to the obedience and advice of Rasulullaah [saws] when he said: "I leave for you two things, if you hold onto them you shall never go astray, they are the Book of Allaah and My sunnah" and "Follow my sunnah and the sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs" and "...Islam will split into 73 sects all in the Fire except one... those who are upon that which I and my companions are upon today".

This is the best advice I am able to give you. May Allaah save us from the liars of the world. Ameen.

nebula
09-16-2010, 08:03 PM
brother TroubledSoul, i advise u for the sake of Allah bro dont take ur religion from this man, we cant be hardhearted when it comes to the deen bro, u seriouslly telling me ur not willing to even read anything regarding whom you take your DEEN from? because thats what we do we take our religion from a scholar so we should want it to be the same as what the Messenger and his companions were upon.

Raaina
09-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Twilight books were a great read :)

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 08:16 PM
No one is trying to change your view, your free to believe and follow who ever you like.

But we feel it is our duty to let others know all the facts before they decide to follow someone questionable as it is a matter of their aqeedah and that is the last thing you want to gamble with. Abu Huraira wouldn't even take authentic hadith from a person who would deceive his camel and we are willing to carelessly follow someone preaching repetitious formulas and what not when there are more authentic, better and reliable scholars available?
What do you mean by 'WE'? I didnt know you represented this site. :hmm:

Anyway, I can say the exact same thing about the scholars you follow but i choose not to. I respect all Muslim Scholars even if i disagree with them, why cant you at least show a little respect instead of slandering your fellow Muslim?

You say,

He's a deviant, OK..Show me the proof? A copy and paste job isnt solid enough evidence

He's a US boot licker, OK...Show me the evidence? You have NONE

He has few followers, OK, Show me the proof? Go to Youtube, Type in Sheikh Hamza Yusuf and look at how many views he has. Up to 45,000+ Views..And that's only on SINGLE video. He is a WORLD renowned scholar, you cannot deny the fact he has many followers from various parts of the world

You say, Students have left Him, SHOW ME THE PROOF! You have NONE

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
brother TroubledSoul, i advise u for the sake of Allah bro dont take ur religion from this man.
And i advise you not to take your religion from the scholars you follow

Dont think i need to say any more

IslamicRevival
09-16-2010, 08:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Billal-A
Assalaamu 'alaykum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuhu,

LOL Sufis crack me up all they do is generalise and slander Salafis on the basis of emotions. They never bring any refutations, any proofs, any claims, any evidences just spout emotional drama and cheesy dialogue in a weak attempt at villifying the truth and praising the fooll!

May Allaah save us from the liars of the world. Ameen.
Funny how you say Sufis slander salafis yet you, a Salafi slander Hamza Yusuf by calling him a fool and a liar.. :hmm:

Anyway, Watch the first few minutes of this video. That's a wrap!

cat eyes
09-16-2010, 08:47 PM
people complain about every scholar whether hes student of knowledge or mufti, look what rubbish pple say about dr.zakir naik

btw this thread should be deleted. this sort of fighting between muslims like this is utterly disgraceful and i hear the same old crap day in and day out.

i mean if the man is corrupted, you need solid evidence to accuse some one of such a thing and not reading through rubbish on the internet because ive read through a lot of false rubbish about loads of scholars on the internet even salafi scholars, i mean can you believe that.

People love to complain thats all.

ghost
09-16-2010, 08:49 PM
So... about them books...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!