/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Owning a dog as a pet....please help

AllahIsMyGod
09-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Salamu 3alaykum ya i5wati l muslimeen

I am a Sunni Muslim
I have married a Christian wife called Robyn who requested that If we can bring a dog as a pet
I know it is haram to own a canine as a pet because they are dirty
Angel Gibreel said to Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) that "Angels do not enter houses in which has a dog or a picture"
I shall buy the dog and she will treat it like a pet but I will only treat it like a security dog for my house and for my hunting. Is this still considered owning the dog as a pet?

My other question, what did angel gibreel mean by "a picture"?

Shukran lakom

Allah is great

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
09-13-2010, 07:43 PM
as long as its not allowed in the house there should be no problem

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

By picture it is meant to not have images of living things, such as people, animals etc. much like photographs.

As long as the animal isnt allowed in the house its fine inshaAllaah

Peace

Cabdullahi
09-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-13-2010, 08:07 PM
. . . . . :-\

Snowflake
09-14-2010, 11:15 AM
:sl: MashaAllah, you asked before you bought the dog. Allah has allowed men to marry Christian/Jewish women but not to compromise their deen because of them. So please consult a scholar as if you buy the dog knowing it will a pet as far as your wife is concerned, then telling yourself you're buying it for security maybe only kidding yourself. Also your wife asked for a dog as a pet, not for security. So I doubt she'll be happy with it being left outdoors. A lot of on muslims see pets as part of the family and lavish more care, money and attention on them than they would on needy human beings. So, I don't see how this arrangement will work. If the scholar being aware of your intention says you can get a dog, then make it clear to your wife, the dog will remain outdoors. I can't see her agreeing to that though, as she wanted it for a pet, which means having in in the house with her, and even in the bed.

Have you gvien your wife dawah bro? InshaAllah do it if you haven't already. May Allah make matters easy for you. Ameen.

:sl:

Hamza Asadullah
09-18-2010, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AllahIsMyGod
Salamu 3alaykum ya i5wati l muslimeen

I am a Sunni Muslim
I have married a Christian wife called Robyn who requested that If we can bring a dog as a pet
I know it is haram to own a canine as a pet because they are dirty
Angel Gibreel said to Muhammad (salallahu alayhi wa sallam) that "Angels do not enter houses in which has a dog or a picture"
I shall buy the dog and she will treat it like a pet but I will only treat it like a security dog for my house and for my hunting. Is this still considered owning the dog as a pet?

My other question, what did angel gibreel mean by "a picture"?

Shukran lakom

Allah is great
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazkallahu khayran for sharing this with us. My brother it is clear that if you buy this dog then your wife will want to bring it to the house. If not now then later on and this will cause conflict.

If you ensure that the dog remains outside of the home and your intention is for it to protect the house or use it for hunting then you may do so but it cannot come into the house and do you know for certain that your wife will not want the dog to come into the house? Will it not cause conflict when your wife will want to bring the dog into the home to play with it or feed it or when it is cold outside etc

It is far better that you do not buy a dog for these reasons because now and again it is certain that yor wife will want to bring the dog into the home. The saliva of the dog is unclean.

Sahih Muslim. Hadith 551. Narrated byAbdullah Ibn Mughaffal: .....When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time.

Sahih Al-Bukhari 3:515. Narrated Abu Huraira: I heard Allah's Apostle (saw) saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Pictures as in portraits or photographs of animate objects on the walls.

Losing good deeds by keeping dogs:

Muslim, in his Saheeh, Tirmithi and an-Nissaai narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, that the Messenger of Allah, may peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Whoever keeps a dog, other than the dogs for hunting, securing agricultural land or livestock, indeed two qeerat (a weight of about .195g) are taken away from his rewards everyday." [Saheeh al Jamie]

Keeping dogs inside the house without any necessity merely as pets was forbidden by the Prophet (Sallallahu Alahyi Wasallim). When we observe how lavishly the well-to-do treat their dogs while despising their relatives, and how much attention they give their dogs while neglecting their neighbors, we realize the wisdom of this prohibition. Moreover, the presence of a dog makes the household utensils unhygienic due to their licking of them. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alahyi Wasallim) said, "If a dog licks a plate (or pot), clean it seven times, of which one time should be with sand (or earth)." (Reported by al-Bukhari.)

Some scholars are of the opinion that the reason for prohibiting the keeping of dogs may be because they bark at visitors, scare away the needy who come to ask for charity, and chase and try to bite passers-by.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alahyi Wasallim) said, Jibril came to me and said, 'I came to you yesterday but what stopped me from entering was that there was a statue at the door, a curtain with figures on it in the house, and a dog inside the house. So order that the head of the statue be broken off so that it resembles the trunk of tree, that the curtain be cut and made into two pillows to recline on, and that the dog be taken out.' (Reported by AbDaoud, al-Nisai, al-Tirmidhi, and by Ibn Hibban in his Sahih.)

Looking at all of the negative aspects of keeping a dog is it really worth it? That is upto you but do not do anything to comprimise your deen for the purpose of our life is to worship Allah and we must NOT let anything deter us from that or get in our way and keeping a dog may cause conflict as your wife will get attached to it and will want to bring it into your home and this will cause stress and cost you time. This can be prevented by not buying a dog.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!