/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can a woman travel alone as a last resort?

Snowflake
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
:sl:

I know the general ruling prohibits women from travelling abroad without a mahram. But what if it's a dire need and she has no one to go with?

What if someone is willing to go but she cannot fund the travel cost?

Say this trip is important to her income/trade, and without it she will struggle?

Btw, the question is for myself.

Jazak Allahu khayr in advance.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abdul Wahid
09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
:sl: sister

If you want I can try find out for you from a scholar but I think the answer is that its not generally permissable for a women to travel alone like you mentioned without a mahram (or her husband)

There are plenty of Hadiths confirming this. No matter how strong you are sister in your deen - it is for your own benefit.

Abu Huraira(ra) narrates that the Messenger of ALLAH(SAW) said: “It is unlawful for a woman who believes in Allah and the last day that she travels the distance of one day and one night without a Mahram accompanying her”. (Sahih al-Bukhari)

Look how important Hajj is - even then it is difficult/not permitted for women to travel alone.

Ibn Abbas(ra) reported that the Prophet(SAW) said, "No man must not be alone with a woman except in the presence of her (Mahram). No woman should travel except in company of a (Mahram).' A man said: "O Messenger of Allah! I have been enrolled for such and such expedition, and my wife left for Hajj.' He(SAW) said to him, "Go and perform Hajj with your wife." (Al-Bukhari and Muslim.)

format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
But what if it's a dire need and she has no one to go with?
Judging from the Hadith mentioned above, no matter how bad the situation, it won't be permissable.

What if someone is willing to go but she cannot fund the travel cost?
:hmm: Thought you said that you had no one to go with. If someone is willing to go then tell them to pay for their travel costs and that you would pay them back soon.

Say this trip is important to her income/trade, and without it she will struggle?
I feel for you sister. Try to get someone to go with you(mahram). How much would travel cost? How long are you going to be gone for? Go with someone(mahram) (if possible) and it would be better for you InshaALLAH.

These guidelines (Islamic principles) were set to take care of women and most importantly protect them from evil. Islam is perfect. No other religions cares for women as Islam does.

cat eyes
09-15-2010, 12:56 AM
yeah scholars are going to give you fatwa that you can't go because then all women would travel alone once word spreads around that a scholar said it was okay so scholars also have to be careful what ruling they give. it really is for the safety of women in islam dear sis.

i will pray you find some one to travel with ukhti :) don't worry.

Snowflake
09-15-2010, 01:44 PM
i will pray you find some one to travel with ukhti don't worry.
Wa iyyaki sis.. Jazakumullah for both your replies.

:hmm: Thought you said that you had no one to go with. If someone is willing to go then tell them to pay for their travel costs and that you would pay them back soon.
That's right. I meant what I said. I don't have anyone to go with as all my bros are either in full time education or self-employed and work is slow, so they are just making enough for themselves. I can see their situation and so I would never ask. I was hoping that I may be able to convince someone to lend me the money and that way be able to take someone with me. In that case, I would have persuaded one of my younger brothers to take a week or two off Uni to come with me. Hope that explained what I was trying to say.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
:sl: I've just spoken to a scholar who said, it's permissible for a woman (given my situation) to travel alone except for Hajj/Umrah.

I contacted another mosque. But their imaam wasn't present. I'll speak to him tomorrow inshaAllah.

I've also found this..

“However, in the case of a woman who has neither a husband nor a father, nor does she have some other relative who could support her financially, nor does she have enough funds to take care of her needs, it would, under this situation, become permissible for her to go out of the house under legal hijab and earn her living to the limit of her need. Now, when this purpose can be easily achieved while living in one's own country or city, then there is no need to travel to a foreign land. If there is no other way for her, but to travel to another city, and she does not have any Mahrams, then only in this situation it will be permissible for her to take the opinion of Imam Shafi’i and Imam Malik, for they have given permission for her to travel with a group of trustworthy women”. (Buhuth fi qadhaya fiqhiyya al-mu’asira, P. 338).

http://www.central-mosque.com/fiqh/wtravel1.htm

Arfa
06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Walikumassalam,

sis im not sure how far your travelling alone....BTW I would like to know @Abdul Wahid how far can a woman travel alone accompanied by her mother not a man??Can she travel alone or with a female within a city eg if her father or brother are at office or not available??or is travelling alone only confined to umrah or out of station/city purpose?please clarify

walzkwani
06-27-2016, 09:50 AM
:sl: sister

phunkadelicfu
12-18-2016, 04:55 PM
I have the same issue I'm from the U.S. I have no one to travel with me. My brother loves 1000+ miles away and my father has heath problems so he can't go and my sis and mum can go because they have to work and don't have passports I'm suppose to leave for U.K. In 5 months hopefully I can find someone to come with me then inshallah.

noraina
12-18-2016, 05:12 PM
I think the rulings around this are complicated, inshaAllah someone who is more knowledgeable can answer.

I was told that a woman can travel a certain distance without a mahram accompanying her, like within where she lives. And if it is really, really necessary then she can travel without one. However it is of course preferable that she travels with someone, for her own protection.

Allah swt knows best.

talibilm
12-21-2016, 05:38 AM
:sl:

This is a hadith i came across but a Muftis answer will be more appreciated

Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 29 :: Hadith 87

Narrated Qaza'a, the slave of Ziyad: Abu Said who participated in twelve Ghazawat with the Prophet said, "I heard four things from Allah's Apostle (or I narrate them from the Prophet ) which won my admiration and appreciation. They are:
1. "No lady should travel travel without her husband or without a Dhu-Mahram for a two-days' journey.
2. No fasting is permissible on two days of 'Id-al-Fitr, and 'Id-al-Adha.
3. No prayer (may be offered) after two prayers: after the 'Asr prayer till the sun set and after the morning prayer till the sun rises.
4. Not to travel travel (for visiting) except for three mosques: Masjid-al-Haram (in Mecca), my Mosque (in Medina), and Masjid-al-Aqsa (in Jerusalem)."

azc
12-21-2016, 07:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
:sl: I know the general ruling prohibits women from travelling abroad without a mahram. But what if it's a dire need and she has no one to go with?What if someone is willing to go but she cannot fund the travel cost?Say this trip is important to her income/trade, and without it she will struggle?Btw, the question is for myself. Jazak Allahu khayr in advance.:wa:
quite difficult to answer. Why don't you contact a scholar..?

talibilm
12-24-2016, 02:15 PM
Bro @huzaifa ibn Adam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!