/* */

PDA

View Full Version : computer science

nebula
09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
salaam alaykum,

anyone doing computer science? whats it like? etc because im going to be doing it inshaallah at westminister uni

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
i heard its mad hard, lots of maths.

i wish i was doing it though

Salahudeen
09-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Heard it's really hard, lots of programming involved such as Java and C++ definitely not my cup of tea.

cat eyes
09-14-2010, 07:44 PM
yeh the science of computers involves a lot of maths.. its head recking

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nebula
09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
lol so far from the replies im postive that its gonna be hard! oh well i cant turn back now

tango92
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
as muslims we must laugh in the face of hardship.............................. and make loads of dua:exhausted:exhausted:exhausted

nebula
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
true akhe gotta make dua! ,:p

Raaina
09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
I didn't do much maths, lots of programming involved though. I passed my degree - I'm awful at maths!

All the best for your course at uni :)

Dagless
09-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Not that much math, and some programming. There are usually options as to which modules you can take so if you don't like something you can pick the minimum of it :P

MEG
09-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Hello!

I've only done my first year, but the maths isn't that difficult. I have dyscalculia (AKA maths dyslexia), but the computer does all the working out for you (that's what they're for :D). You just enter the formulae. However, there is a small amount of maths that was difficult, which you will probably find easy and that is binary. You need to be able to convert binary to hex, hex to decimal etc and to shorten numbers.

Programming is more problem solving and you begin by making simple applications at first, so they ease you in gently.

Amoeba
09-22-2010, 06:30 PM
I won't be doing computer sciences but I am going to be working alongside computer sciences students. I have spoken to some of them and the ones I have seem to have a natural passion for maths and computers, and they sound like they really enjoy it and seem quite disciplined.

Informations systems has a lot less maths and programming and a lot more design, management and report writing (we're only going to learn the basics of java and that's it, supposed to help us learn the basics of languages in general so we can teach ourselves as new languages take over). If that sounds better to you and they have that option available you could ask to do a switch since it's still early in the semester. But if you prefer to knuckle down to some programming and maths then computer sciences is better.

Amoeba
09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Just realised they may not call it information systems at other universities, I was informed it's not a very popular course elsewhere. I don't know what other equivalents are.

nebula
09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
i was actually thinking of doing software engineering at first, then i changed my mind and i was going to do business and information systems, THEN i changed my mind again after speaking to the course leader and i finally decided to do and stick with computer science inshaAllah..., my brother did Artificial intelligence basically computer science and like he told me its good but u gotta study,

may allah bless u everyone so far for ur replys

Cabdullahi
09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Bro i didnt know u moved to london too?

Programming is easy once you understand it....buy a good book about the programming language they'll teach you and start practicing from day one....one hour a day everyday and you'll become a master! but if you become lazy like me ...you wont make it

Dont listen to these people it only becomes hard when you dont study after you come back from uni.............................dont do what i did .....

straight from uni > slide my bag under the bed > start playing playstation3 :skeleton:

nebula
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
bro ive always been in london, but like on the outskirts of east london, bro i used to slide my throw my bag in my room in college days and play games lol but inshaallah i wnt do that with uni! coz its not free lol and i dnt wanna waste my money

Salahudeen
09-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I used to slide my bag too and jump on games :( It's my final 2 years now, I really need to get my act together. This is my plan, at the end of each day I recap what I learnt from that day and write a mini essay on it. We could even make a thread on LI where we share what the days lecture was about and discuss it. Wwhat you guys think?

أحمد
09-22-2010, 08:30 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
yeh the science of computers involves a lot of maths.. its head recking
Maths is the easy side of computer science; more students struggle with the technical and programming aspects.

:wa:

Cabdullahi
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
I used to slide my bag too and jump on games :( It's my final 2 years now, I really need to get my act together. This is my plan, at the end of each day I recap what I learnt from that day and write a mini essay on it. We could even make a thread on LI where we share what the days lecture was about and discuss it. Wwhat you guys think?
hahaha i guess we're all the same

but i like the idea its Great good....lets do it!

Salahudeen
09-22-2010, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
hahaha i guess we're all the same

but i like the idea its Great good....lets do it!
Ok but we have to report what we done in the thread on a daily basis apart from the days we don't have uni. It would be beneficial to record the lectures so when you're writing your recap you can listen to it again.

Cabdullahi
09-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Absolutely insha'Allah will start as soon as uni starts

what can we do about the games?

Salahudeen
09-22-2010, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Absolutely insha'Allah will start as soon as uni starts

what can we do about the games?

I don't know, we'll have to ween ourselves off like a drug. We'll cut down gradually, limit ourselves to 2 hours a day? then cut it down to 1, then 30 mins etc don't know if this will work though.

Hassan C
10-02-2010, 01:48 PM
I completely agree with this. I'm a self taught PHP programmer (although I want to move onto 'real' programming languages like C++ or Java) and I struggle with the logic behind how things work in the programming world. Maths isn't that hard for me - even though I'm good at it; if I wasn't good at it I still think I'd do well because it isn't involved very frequently - and even when it is involved, it is only basic stuff that you probably won't have any trouble with. There are some exceptions to this, as different types of software programs require you to have expertise in different areas, but for the most part - it isn't completely essential. Well, that's my two cents :)

أحمد
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Hassan C
I completely agree with this. I'm a self taught PHP programmer (although I want to move onto 'real' programming languages like C++ or Java) and I struggle with the logic behind how things work in the programming world. Maths isn't that hard for me - even though I'm good at it; if I wasn't good at it I still think I'd do well because it isn't involved very frequently - and even when it is involved, it is only basic stuff that you probably won't have any trouble with. There are some exceptions to this, as different types of software programs require you to have expertise in different areas, but for the most part - it isn't completely essential. Well, that's my two cents :)
Read programming books, watch videos, and most importantly practice it. Academic courses may not develop your knowledge of programming as effectively as you can do yourself.

:wa:

muslimah_91
12-27-2010, 12:45 AM
My brother has a degree in computer science. and He was a D student in high school and he made it.
he was always good with building and figuring out stuff, he was never really a solid student.
If you like computers go for it. No degree is easy. Everything is LEARNED.........

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!