/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

wulfilia
09-15-2010, 06:53 AM
Friends,

I am writing this to introduce myself as a courtesy.

Let me start by stating that:
  • I am a little confused about the Guidelines' prohibition on posting "personal information"; and
  • I am not (yet) a Muslim, and I am therefore unfamiliar with the proper way to refer to persons and things of importance to Islam.

As to the first, may I post, for instance, the country/city where I live?

As to the second, I have notice that when Muslims refer to the prophet Muhammed the suffix "peace be upon him" (or an abbreviation which I take to have the same meaning) is appended. Likewise, references to (for example) Jesus Christ seem to be followed by the abbreviation (as). Whatever I may think of the desirability of adding such suffixes, which can often appear a little clumsy and formulaic, I do not want inadvertently to offend Muslims; at the same time, I consider it inevitable that I shall sooner or later forget or otherwise omit to include the correct suffix.

By way of background, I am a lapsed Catholic in a very secular English-speaking country. I have an interest in religion generally. Although the city where I live has a small but enthusiastic Muslim minority, I do not personally know any Muslims well. (The closest I get is a few "non-practising" Muslim friends, who would probably not be thought the best sources of information on Islam.) I understand no Arabic. I hope that this board will allow me to acquire easily comprehensible information about Islam. I am currently trying to read Asad's English translation/interpretation of the Qur'an.

Peace,

Tom

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tilmeez
09-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Geetings Tom and welcome onboard!

Guidelines set by management are for members' own security. Members will shortly discover where you are coming from (as most of us know each other to quite an extent) if you stay here for a while :) and we don't mind that.

You can reffer to any thing of importance with any word you feel its easy as long as its not intended to offend any member or any religion.

We have a long list of brothers and sisters who are willing to help you, Inshallah (God Willing).

Wish you a nice and beneficial stay here.

Muslim Woman
09-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Salaam/Peace to you

Welcome to the forum . Feel free to ask questions if u have any about Islam.

PouringRain
09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sabr*
09-17-2010, 09:54 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Welcome TOM. If you haven't had the opportunity to read the rules of the forum it will assist you in acclimating sooner. Insha Allah

http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php?..._liforum_rules

Then the basics of Islam if you are not familiar.

http://www.islamicboard.com/aqeedah/

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Welcome to the forum and hope you have a wonderful and beneficial stay here!

Vigno
09-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Welcome on the forum Tom, may your stay be useful and inshallah you will grasp what you need from the forum members =)

Peace

Ameer Hamza
09-18-2010, 11:18 AM
:sl:
Welcome on the Board. Hope you have a wonderful and beneficial stay here!
:wa:

glo
09-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tom. :welcome:

I hope you find your answers.

Like you I live in a community with a sizable minority of Muslims. I came to this forum to learn more about Islam, because I found it difficult to communicate with and relate to the Muslims in my neighbourhood.
Gaining a better understanding of Islam has helped me to treat my Muslim neighbours appropriately and without needing to fear to 'get it wrong'.

I have gained much from being here. :)

manaal
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Assalamu Aleikum Tom,

Please feel free to ask any questions you like. No question is considered to be stupid, unless of course it was intended as such. :-D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!