/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Modesty for the non-Muslim

whitekitten
09-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I am not Muslim and I do not follow any other religion however I was wondering if any British Muslim women could point me in the direction of shops selling more modest (non-Islamic) clothing. I know this sounds strange but it seems to be difficult to find clothing that is at all modest in high street shops at the moment. I am hoping that any recent converts etc may have experience of gradually dressing more modestly and where to purchase such clothing.

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IslamicRevival
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Welcome to the forum, Its refreshing to hear such a question from an Atheist.

LauraS
09-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Hello, I'm a non Muslim and I like to dress fairly "sensibly" too. I think to be honest most shops sell clothes that cover everything. I can't think of any particular shop that sells just "modest" clothing :/ when you say modest do you mean not a low neckline or short skirts etc? There are some nice shops especially for long skirts and dresses.

Insaanah
09-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Greetings whitekitten, and a warm welcome to the forum,

I guess you mean clothes such as long skirts, loose tops without low-cut necks etc?

I hope some sisters will be able to point you in the right direction, inshaAllah (God willing). I'm not sure if there are specific shops, you might have to go hunting but may find an item or two that's modest in a few shops.

May I ask, if I'm not being too nosy, is your desire to dress modestly because you just don't want people to see more of you than you want them to? Feel free to ignore my question by the way. Was just wondering...

Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tilmeez
09-15-2010, 08:48 PM
As a welcome gesture to our new non muslim member, thread was approved.

Moved to general section so that it can have instant replies without moderation.

whitekitten
09-15-2010, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

May I ask, if I'm not being too nosy, is your desire to dress modestly because you just don't want people to see more of you than you want them to? Feel free to ignore my question by the way. Was just wondering...

Peace.
Yes its simply a case of the fact that my boyfriend and I have been together for many years and we're hoping to get married in a couple of years and I just feel that now I am not interested in other men and my body is only for one man it woiuld be nice to cover up a bit more.

aadil77
09-15-2010, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by whitekitten
Yes its simply a case of the fact that my boyfriend and I have been together for many years and we're hoping to get married in a couple of years and I just feel that now I am not interested in other men and my body is only for one man it woiuld be nice to cover up a bit more.
It makes sense doesn't it? I wish more women in this country would have brains like you, it'd save us muslims a hell of a lot of trouble - having to lower our gazes all the time

its really damaging for children as well

AlwaysIslam
09-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Dressing modestly definitely has it's benefits, both in religion and in general. Firstly, someone in modest clothing definitely doesn't send of the "come hither" signal & they don't get inappropriate glances/winks/lame wolf-whistles from the opposite sex. I actually have this one friend who used to wear short shorts, tight jeans, low cut v-necks etc. and she would always get wolf whistles, inappropriate stares, sexual harassment etc. She stopped wearing clothes like that. Why? She told me she felt dirty and cheap getting the inappropriate comments from guys she didn't even know. I've also had many of my male friends both muslim & non muslim tell me that they feel more respectable towards a woman who dresses modestly as opposed to one who dresses..well...skanky, because they feel that the one that is not dressed up in 3 inch short shorts/miniskirts or the "if you sit down wearing me, I will rip in half" jeans, are not desperate for attention, which in turns shows they have more class and dignity.

جوري
09-15-2010, 11:56 PM
hi :welcome: aboard..

I have compiled quite the list on this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/new-musl...ml#post1123297

some of them frumpy, some great, I am sure you'll find something you like..

peace

whitekitten
09-17-2010, 05:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
Hello, I'm a non Muslim and I like to dress fairly "sensibly" too. I think to be honest most shops sell clothes that cover everything. I can't think of any particular shop that sells just "modest" clothing :/ when you say modest do you mean not a low neckline or short skirts etc? There are some nice shops especially for long skirts and dresses.
To be honest short skirts have never been something I've really liked, too much worrying about people seeing your underwear if you bend down etc. I'm more of a trousers person for bottoms anyway. I'm just getting fed up of people being able to see my bra down/through my top (mostly in the summer obviously).

whitekitten
09-17-2010, 05:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlwaysIslam
"if you sit down wearing me, I will rip in half" jeans.
Not to mention the look unbelievably uncomfortable and aren't good for feminine health.

Cabdullahi
09-17-2010, 08:01 PM
have you checked new look? or bonmarche?...you can find modest stuff but its just one small area containing few items :(.... if you find something modest in a retail shop you might get fashion obsessed ladies giving you the looks, if you catch one looking crunch your fist and attach it to her nose BAM!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!