/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's questions about prayer

wulfilia
09-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I know that you will forgive my ignorance in these questions as in those still to come.

1. Why is it considered necessary to pray 5 times daily? Why not 15?

2. Why is it considered desirable to "pray" in Arabic if one cannot in fact understand that language? If Allaah be omniscient, presumably He speaks English too. I would question whether "prayers" uttered in a language foreign to the supplicant are worthy of that name. To me, it seems more like the unthinking recitation of a ritualistic mantra, not an attempt to communicate.

3. Why are the prayer times scheduled so inconveniently? Why should one "drop everything" (perhaps important matters) to pray at (say) exactly 11.22 am? Some prayer times seem to be so scheduled as to interfere with normal Western sleeping hours. That is a significant inconvenience for any Westerner; for one who suffers from a sleep disorder (such as me) it is impossible.

4. If it be important to pray at specific times, why should one have any regard to time-zones? In Vladivostok, for example, it is now 19:55, but in London it is 10 hours earlier, and I have no clue what time it is in Mecca. The reason it is now 19:55 in Vladivostok is that time-zones were established by secular authorities. What has that to do with Islam? Why would Islam mandate that one must pray at a time set, in effect, by secular authorities?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
09-16-2010, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wulfilia

Because Allah SWT commands us to.

2. Why is it considered desirable to "pray" in Arabic if one cannot in fact understand that language? If Allaah be omniscient, presumably He speaks English too. I would question whether "prayers" uttered in a language foreign to the supplicant are worthy of that name. To me, it seems more like the unthinking recitation of a ritualistic mantra, not an attempt to communicate.
You have to know the difference between "prayer" and "shalah". When we perform obligatory shalah (5 times a day), the only obligation is that we recite the surah Al Fatihah in the beginning of each rakaah and some simple supplication and glorification of Allah. Al fatihah is the beginning surah of the Qur'an. And there is only one qur'an. translation of the qur'an is not qur'an.
Al faithah only consists of 7 verses, and all muslims should know the meaning of it (new muslims can learn it very easily).
During shalah, we also can communicate by heart with Allah in any language.
Now, for prayer or supplications we can say it in any language.

3. Why are the prayer times scheduled so inconveniently? Why should one "drop everything" (perhaps important matters) to pray at (say) exactly 11.22 am? Some prayer times seem to be so scheduled as to interfere with normal Western sleeping hours. That is a significant inconvenience for any Westerner; for one who suffers from a sleep disorder (such as me) it is impossible.
Shalah schedules are commanded in general in the qur'an and detailed in hadiths.
what do you mean incoveniently? and what do you mena interfere with normal western sleeping hours?
shalah schedules depend on the position of the sun.
fajr - dawn until complete sunrise
dhuhur - midday
asr - mid between dhuhur and maghrib
maghrib - sunset
isya - complete sunset

4. If it be important to pray at specific times, why should one have any regard to time-zones? In Vladivostok, for example, it is now 19:55, but in London it is 10 hours earlier, and I have no clue what time it is in Mecca. The reason it is now 19:55 in Vladivostok is that time-zones were established by secular authorities. What has that to do with Islam? Why would Islam mandate that one must pray at a time set, in effect, by secular authorities?
as already explained above, shalah schedules depends on the position of the sun in the area, and NOT according to makkah time.

Ramadhan
09-16-2010, 05:23 PM
What is Salah?
Salah is the name for the obligatory prayers which are performed five times a day, and are a direct link between the worshipper and God with no earthly intermediaries. A prayer takes a few minutes to perform.

What no Priests?
There is no hierarchical authority in Islam, and no priests, so the prayers are led by a learned person (Imam) who knows the Qur'an, chosen by the congregation. These five prayers contain verses from the Qur'an, and are said in Arabic, the language of the Revelation, but personal supplication can be offered in one's own language.

An Audience with God
Each prayer is practically an audience with God. Facing in the direction of the Kaaba (the first mosque ever, built by patriarch Abraham and his son Ismail for the worship of the One God, at the site which long later became the city of Makkah in Arabia), the prayer is opened by saying "Allah Akbar", ie. God is Greater (than all else), and practically you are turning your back to all the universe and are addressing God. One of the constant readings during prayer is the Opening Chapter of the Quran that reads "Praise be to Allah, Lord of the worlds. The Compassionate, the Merciful, Master of the Day of Judgment. You only do we worship and to You only we cry for help. Guide us to the straight path. The path of those on whom You have bestowed Your grace, those whose lot is not wrath, and who go not astray." (1:1-7) Bowing down and prostrating oneself (to God) interjecting "Glory to my Lord the Great", "Glory to my Lord the Highest", "Allah listens to those who thank Him" and what fills one's heart by way of supplication, the prayer is concluded in the sitting position by reiterating the affirmation of the faith, the Shahada, and seeking God's peace and blessings on Mohammad and Abraham and their people and followers.

When and where
Prayers are said at dawn, noon, mid-afternoon, sunset and nightfall, and thus determine the rhythm of the entire day. Although it is preferable to worship together in a mosque, a Muslim may pray almost anywhere, such as in fields, offices, factories and universities. Visitors to the Muslim world are struck by the centrality of prayers in daily life. Performing daily prayers is an act of communication between humans and God. The prayers are considered a duty for all Muslims,and on these occasions preparations in ritual purity are required.

Ritual prayer and worship
Ritual prayer (Salah) is a distinct entity from worship in its wider sense, that is communicating your feelings to God at any time in any place and asking for His guidance, help and forgiveness, an ingredient of life which is highly commendable whether in Islam or other religions. Salah takes a special form and content, where both body and soul are harmoniously involved.

In prayer, every muscle of the body joins the soul and the mind in the worship and glory of Allah. Prayer is an act of worship. It is a matchless and unprecedented formula of intellectual meditation and spiritual devotion, of moral elevation and physical exercise, all combined.
Congregational prayer and Mosques
Although salah can be performed alone, it is meritorious to perform it with another or with a group. The word mosque comes from the Arabic masjid, meaning "place of prostration." Although it is permissible to pray at home, at work, or even outdoors, it is recommended that Muslims perform salah in a mosque.

Who is it applicable to?
Offering of prayers is obligatory upon every Muslim male and female who is sane, mature and in the case of women free from menstruation and confinement due to child birth.

How is it performed?
Requirements of prayer: performing of ablution (Wudu), purity of the whole body, clothes and ground used for prayer, dressing properly and having the intention and facing the Qiblah (the direction of the Ka'bah at Mecca). Only around the Kaaba mosque in Makkah do Muslims stand in circles for their prayers (quite an impressive scene). All the world over they are in straight lines, leaving no gaps, and facing Makkah.

Remebering the Creator
Praying to the Creator on a daily basis is the best way to cultivate in a man a sound personality and to actualize his aspiration. Allah does not need man's prayer because He is free of all needs. Prayer is for our immeasurable benefit, and the blessings are beyond imagination.

In addition to the prescribed prayer, a Muslim expresses gratitude to God and appreciation of His favours and asks for His mercy all the time. Especially at times of, for example, childbirth, marriage, going to or rising from bed, leaving and returning to his home, starting a journey or entering a city, riding or driving, before or after eating or drinking, harvesting, visiting graveyards and at time of distress and sickness.
Friday Prayers
The noon congregational prayer of Friday afternoon is mandated to be a collective and must be said in a Mosque, and is preceded by a sermon (Khutba). The Imam (prayer leader) is not a priest nor need be the same person every time, but considerations of scholarship and knowledge of the Quran and the religion are exercised in choosing him (doctors, teachers, business people and others as well as religion scholars are commonly featured in bearing this responsibility).

Conclusion
Prayer, obligatory and spontaneous, is an immense spiritual treasure to be tapped. It inspires peace, purity and tranquility and instills companionship with God. It amazingly reduces the hustle and bustle of life to tame proportions. By their spacing to five times a day, including its beginning, prayers tend to maintain a therapeutic level and practically leave no room for mischievous thought or deed.

(from http://www.islamawareness.net/Salah/)

syed_z
09-16-2010, 05:59 PM

"God desires for you ease and He desires not hardship for you." ( Quran 2:185)
for Allah (swt) also says...

"..Man has been created weak." (Quran 4:28)
.. Allah (swt) knows that we would be able to pray 5 times, regularly but if more were added, we would begin to slack because many Muslims around the world, infact majority may be, does not even pray 5 times. Also there is a Tradition of the Prophet Muhammad (saw) which explains for us even better as to why would we need 5 times ?

Sayyidina Abu Huraira (RA) reported that Allah’s Messenger (SAW) said, “Imagine if a river flows by the gate of one of you. He washes himself in it every day five times. Will there remain any dirt (on him)”? The companions said, “Nothing of dirt will remain.” He said, “That is like the five times prayer. Allah erases with them the sins.”

[Ahmed 8933,Bukhari 528,Muslim 667,Nisai 461]

The lesser sins a Muslim carries, the lesser his burden is throughout the journey, as he considers himself a traveller passing by through this world.

i would stick to what Bro Naidamar said.

3. Why are the prayer times scheduled so inconveniently? Why should one "drop everything" (perhaps important matters) to pray at (say) exactly 11.22 am? Some prayer times seem to be so scheduled as to interfere with normal Western sleeping hours. That is a significant inconvenience for any Westerner; for one who suffers from a sleep disorder (such as me) it is impossible

Since Man is not only a physical being but has a spiritual side as well, which is the actual side of every person, because every one experiences bodily death, sooner or later. Since we are actually spiritual beings on a physical journey, we need to have a balance between the material side of our lives as well as spiritual side of it. Allah (swt) wants us to feed our spirit as well, as we our working hard on the physical side, 1. So that we keep ourselves reminded, that we also have a spiritual side, as materialism has a very strong effect on humans, if not checked and measured. It pulls us towards materialistic way of life, and such blinds us from reality, then making us greedy. So for a Muslim, praying times do not interfere, rather they are a blessing to show us and make us realize that, you actual aim of life is not only to earn wealth or work hard in the outside world, and so the moments of break of 5 times which we get to have, is to keep the reminder strong, that this life is not an end in itself , rather a means to a eternal bliss.

"...Men whom niether merchandise nor selling tempt from the rememberance of Allah." ( Quran 24:36-37)

Hope that answers your questions. Peace.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wulfilia
09-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Friends,

Thank you to all who answered. Brother syed_z, I found your answer particularly helpful. May I ask to which school of Islamic thought or theology you belong?

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Because Allah SWT commands us to.
But why does he so command us? Many other prescriptions are supported by external reasoning which illustrates their particular value. Can this prescription not be so supported?

When we perform obligatory shalah (5 times a day), the only obligation is that we recite the surah Al Fatihah in the beginning of each rakaah and some simple supplication and glorification of Allah. Al fatihah is the beginning surah of the Qur'an. And there is only one qur'an. translation of the qur'an is not qur'an.
Al faithah only consists of 7 verses, and all muslims should know the meaning of it (new muslims can learn it very easily).
I don't doubt my ability to learn it; what I doubt is the necessity or value of reciting it in Arabic. Let me explain, by way of background, that I am a philologist (in Germanic languages) by training. Accepting for the sake of the argument that Allaah revealed the Qur'an to Mohammed in the Arabic language of ~1500 years ago, and even accepting for the same purpose that the language has not changed in that time, the problem still remains that I (as an English-speaker), and doubtless many Muslims in such countries as Indonesia, cannot properly understand the Arabic of the first surah. I can understand its general import by resorting to a translation/interpretation, and I may even learn to correlate individual words of such a translation/interpretation with original Arabic words, but I nevertheless cannot (without becoming proficient in Arabic) understand the precise meaning of the Arabic phrases which I am uttering. Why should any person, let alone Allaah, wish me to recite verses the precise meaning of which I cannot know? If I recited those verses in a translated/interpreted form, Allaah would know what I meant, and I would know exactly what I were saying. If I recite them in Arabic, I will not know exactly what I am saying, dependent as I am on a translation/interpretation; Allaah will know what I intend to say (i.e., what I understand my translation/interpretation to mean), Allaah will know what I am in fact saying in Arabic, and Allaah will perceive the differences between the two which (subtle though they may be) will inevitably be present. Why would Allaah desire that?

Shalah schedules are commanded in general in the qur'an and detailed in hadiths.
what do you mean incoveniently?
Well, the prayer times where I live today are 04:52, 12:16, 15:37, 18:12 and 19:34. Due to the nature of my job, I cannot pray at 12:16 or 15:37.

and what do you mena interfere with normal western sleeping hours?
Most Westerners do not get up at 04:52 in the morning. I get up at about 08:15. This puts the first prayer time squarely in the middle of my night's sleep. I accept that this presents little problem for (say) a farmer who gets up with the sun, but that is not so for those living a large Western metropolis.

syed_z
09-17-2010, 07:27 AM
Your very welcome.

No bro, i don't belong to any school of thought. There are 4 schools of thought among the Majority of Muslims, and any one could be followed in regards to their rulings. We are allowed to follow whichever school of thought among the 4. There is no compulsion as to following only one and not other.

Well, the prayer times where I live today are 04:52, 12:16, 15:37, 18:12 and 19:34. Due to the nature of my job, I cannot pray at 12:16 or 15:37.

Its recommended in Islam to pray at their particular times. But you can pray a little late if your not able to pray exactly on time. Islam is easy , Allah (swt) wants to make things easy for you, as said in Quran. That is the reason, why Prophet (saw) allowed Muslims to combine prayers if they were traveling. If they were traveling, then they don't have to pray Dhuhr (1 pm) prayer on its own time and Asr (4 pm) on its own time. No , they can combine them. So i would recommend to contact the local Masjid where you are, so that they can answer it better for you because they are living in the same time zone.

Btw about waking up, there can be no excuses. You have to wake up, and you cannot skip that. Sleep early or wake up!

Peace :)

Ramadhan
09-17-2010, 07:48 AM
From http://www.allaahuakbar.net/salaah/i..._of_prayer.htm

The importance of the prayer in Islam cannot be understated. It is the first pillar of Islam that the Prophet (peace be upon him) mentioned after mentioning the testimony of faith, by which one becomes a Muslim. It was made obligatory upon all the prophets and for all peoples. Allah has declared its obligatory status under majestic circumstances. For example, when Allah spoke directly to Moses, He said, "And I have chosen you, so listen to that which is inspired to you. Verily, I am Allah! There is none worthy of worship but I, so worship Me and offer prayer perfectly for My remembrance." [Taha 13-14]

Similarly, the prayers were made obligatory upon the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) during his ascension to heaven. Furthermore, when Allah praises the believers, such as in the beginning of surah al-Muminoon, one of the first descriptions He states is their adherence to the prayers.

Once a man asked the Prohpet (peace be upon him) about the most virtuous deed. The Prophet (peace be upon him) stated that the most virtuous deed is the prayer. The man asked again and again. The first three times, the Prophet (peace be upon him) again answered, "The prayer," then on the fourth occasion he stated, "Jihad in the way of Allah." [This is form a hadith recorded by Ahmad and ibn Hibban. According to al-Albani, the hadith is hasan. Muhammad Nasir al-Din al-Albani, Sahih al-Targheeb wa al-Tarheeb (Beirut: al-Maktab al-Islami, 1982), vol. 1, p. 150]

The importance of prayer is demonstrated in the many of the Prophet’s statement. For example, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "The first matter that the slave will be brought to account for on the Day of Judgment is the prayer. If it is sound, then the rest of his deeds will be sound. And if it is bad, then the rest of his deeds will be bad." [Recorded by al-Tabarani. According to al-Albani, it is sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol.1, p. 503.

The importance of the prayers lies in the fact that no matter what actions one performs in his life, the most important aspect is one’s relationship to Allah, that is, one’s faith (imaan), God-consciousness (taqwa), sincerity (ikhlas) and worship of Allah (`ibaadah). This relationship with Allah is both demonstrated and put into practice, as well as improved and increased, by the prayer. Therefore, if the prayers are sound and proper, the rest of the deeds will be sound and proper; and if the prayers are not sound and proper, then the rest of the deeds will not be sound and proper, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) himself stated.

In reality, the prayer is performed properly – with true remembrance of Allah and turning to Him for forgiveness – it will have a lasting effect on the person. After he finishes the prayer, his heart will be filled with the remembrance of Allah. He will be fearful as well as hopeful of Allah. After that experience, he will not want to move from that lofty position to one wherein he disobeys Allah. Allah has mentioned this aspect of the prayer when He has said,

"Verily, the prayer keeps one from the great sins and evil deeds" (al-Ankaboot 45). Nadwi has described this effect in the following eloquent way,

Its aim is to generate within the subliminal self of man such spiritual power, light of faith and awareness of God as can enable him to strive successfully against all kinds of evils and temptations and remain steadfast at times of trial and adversity and protect himself against the weakness of the flesh and the mischief of immoderate appetites. [Nadwi, p. 24]

The overall affect that the properly performed prayers should have upon humans is described in other verses in the Quran:
"Verily, man was created impatient, irritable when evil touches him and niggardly when good touches him. Except for those devoted to prayer those who remain constant in their prayers…" (al-Maarij 19-23).

As for the Hereafter, Allah’s forgiveness and pleasure is closely related to the prayers. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, "Allah has obligated five prayers. Whoever excellently performs their ablutions, prays them in their proper times, completes their bows, prostrations and khushu` [Khushu` in the prayer is where the person’s heart is attuned to the prayer. This feeling in the heart is then reflected on the body. The person remains still and calm. His gaze is also lowered. Even his voice is affected by this feeling in the heart. For more details on this concept (as well as the difference between it and khudhu`), see Muhammad al-Shaayi, al-Furooq al-Laughawiyyah wa Atharahaa fi Tafseer al-Quran al-Kareem (Riyadh: Maktabah al-Ubaikaan, 1993), pp. 249-254.] has a promise from Allah that He will forgive him. And whoever does not do that has no promise from Allah. He may either forgive him or punish him." [Recorded by Malik, Ahmad, Abu Dawud, al-Nasa’I and others. According to al-Albani, it is sahih. Al-Albani, Sahih al-Jami, vol. 1, p. 616.] ]

The prayers are a type of purification for a human being. He turns and meets with his Lord five times a day. As alluded to above, this repeated standing in front of Allah should keep the person from performing sins during the day. Furthermore, it should also be a time of remorse and repentance, such that he earnestly asks Allah for forgiveness for those sins that he committed. In addition, the prayer in itself is a good deed that wipes away some of the evil deeds that he performed. These points can be noted in the following Hadeeth of the Prophet (peace be upon him): "If a person had a stream outside his door and he bathed in it five times a day, do you think he would have any filth left on him?" The people said, "No filth would remain on him whatsoever." The Prophet (peace be upon him) then said, "That is like the five daily prayers: Allah wipes away the sins by them." (Recorded by al-Bukhâri and Muslim.)

In another hadeeth, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,
"The five daily prayers and the Friday Prayer until the Friday prayer are expiation for what is between them." (Recorded by Muslim)

Ramadhan
09-17-2010, 07:54 AM
From http://mdarik.islamonline.net/servle...EAskTheScholar

Question

Respected scholars, as-Salamu `alaykum wa rahmatullah wa barakatuh. Please, enlighten me regarding the virtue and significance of Salah (Prayer). Jazakum Allah khayran.

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thanks for your question, which reflects your concern about Islam and its teachings. Also, we appreciate the great confidence you have in us and implore Allah to bless your efforts in pursuit of knowledge.

In Islam, Salah stands as the second pillar of Islam after testifying that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His final Messenger. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Islam is built upon five pillars: testifying that there is no true god except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, performing Salah, paying the Zakah, making the pilgrimage to the Sacred House (Hajj), and fasting the month of Ramadan.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

However, following is an illustration of the virtue and significance of Salah:

Prayer is the pillar of Islam, the pinnacle of good deeds, and the peak of obedience. `Uthman ibn `Afan (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "If the time for a prescribed Salah comes, and a Muslim performs Wudu' properly (and then offers his Salah) with humility and bowing (to Allah), it will be an expiation for his past sins, so long as he has not committed a major sin; and this is applicable to all times." (Reported by Muslim)

Humran said that he saw `Uthman performing Wudu'; he washed his hands thrice, rinsed his mouth and then washed his nose, by putting water in it and then blowing it out, and washed his face thrice, and then washed his right forearm up to the elbow thrice, and then the left forearm up to the elbow thrice, then wiped his head with water, washed his right foot thrice, and then his left foot thrice and said, "I saw Allah's Messenger performing ablution similar to the one I’ve just performed, and then he said, 'Whoever performs Wudu' (as I’ve just done) and then offers two Rak`at in which he does not think of worldly things, all his previous sins will be forgiven.'" (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

You should know that Salah consists of pillars, duties, and Sunnan. The spirit of Salah is intention, devotion, and contemplation of heart. Without contemplation, invocation is of no avail since this will be futile utterance. By the same token, all other acts of Salah will not bring forth its avowed fruits, i.e., the act of Qiyam (standing) connotes service and Sujud (prostration) implies humility and glorification, which will never be attained without attention. Allah, Most High, says, "It is not their meat or their blood that reaches Allah: it is your piety that reaches Him." (Al-Hajj: 37)

It is now clear that what counts most in the Sight of Allah, Most High, is the state of the heart, by which one submits to the commands of Allah. In this way alertness and mindfulness are required in Salah even if a lapse of negligence is pardoned by the Law-Giver as long as consciousness dominates it.

Nevertheless, the following three are the yardstick of any acceptable Salah:

1- Consciousness: It means to show indifference to all worldly interests and have absolute consciousness of Allah, Most High. The cause of such consciousness is decisive intention since the man who has decisive intention to do something, necessarily puts his heart to it. Consciousness, in fact, differs according to the strength of belief in the Hereafter and scorn of this world. Therefore, if you miss consciousness in Salah, you should know that the root-cause of this is weakness of faith, and so you should exert yourself to strengthen and bolster it.

2- Reflection on the words; this is the second step after consciousness: Consciousness may be present without grasping the meaning, and so attention should be directed to grasping the meaning by refraining from thinking of other matters.

3- Glorification and fear of Allah, Most High, which emanate from two facts: realizing the Majesty and Magnificence of Allah, and looking down upon one's self, which would result in humility and consciousness. Hope is also an important factor in Salah. The one who offers Salah should hope for the reward of Allah, and fear the punishment due to his imperfection.

The worshiper should contemplate on every act of Salah. When he hears the Adhan (Call to Salah), he should remember the call on the Day of Judgment, and prepare himself to the answer, thinking how to reply. When the worshiper covers his private parts, he should remember his concealed vices which no one knows except Allah, Most High, and which require repentance.

When the worshiper faces the Qiblah (Direction of Salah), he turns his face towards the House of Allah and turns his back to all other directions. No doubt, directing his heart towards Allah is worthwhile.

When you say: "Allah is Greatest", your heart should not belie your tongue. If you believe that there is something greater than Allah, you will be a liar. Be cautious.

When you say: "I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan", you should take into account that you resort to Allah, Most High. In this case, if your heart is not in tune with your tongue, what you say will be nonsense and irrational. Try to grasp the meaning of what you say.

When you say: "Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the Worlds," you should ponder over the meaning of these words. Also, you reflect on Allah's mercy when you read: "Most Gracious, Most Merciful". Think about Allah's power when you read: "Master of the Day of Judgment". In this way, one should reflect on what he reads or say in Salah.

It is reported that Zararah ibn Abi Awfa (may Allah be pleased with him) fell dead when he recited the Qur'anic verse, "Finally, when the trumpet is sounded." (Al-Muddathir: 8) This is, no doubt, is due to his imagination of this horrible scene.

When bowing, try to show humility to your Lord. Likewise, you should be more humble when prostrating since you place yourself in its proper and original position, namely, the earth from which you have been created. In this case, try to reflect on what you say.

Finally, you should know that performing Salah in such a manner purifies and enlightens the heart, which, in turn, could behold the Glory of Allah. In fact, no one but the devout scholars can grasp these meanings.

In contrast, whoever performs Salah without observing its requirements would in no way grasp its significance. Such a man, furthermore, may exceed the limit and deny its existence.

Quoted, with slight modification, from Ibn Qudamah Al-Maqdisi's Mukhtasar Minhaj Al-Qasidin, published by Dar Al-Manarah for Translation, Publishing and Distribution, Egypt, 2001.

Allah Almighty knows best.

Ramadhan
09-17-2010, 07:58 AM
From http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...th%2FYTELayout

The Effect of Salah and Wudu’ on Feeling Calm

By Nermin Abd El-Moneim

Staff Writer — IslamOnline.net

“I can’t seem to enjoy my holidays. I have this awful feeling of depression that I think will never leave me. What can I do?” We hear this question from a lot of people today. What would you suggest to such a person?

Because of daily stress and difficult circumstances we face today, depression and sadness become a part of life for some people, especially youth.

During adolescence the youth get depressed or become easily angry because of hormonal changes and brain growth spurts, and also as a result of either positive or negative changes.

No doubt the time we spend on cooling down and warming up will improve our daily performance and help us to accept the ups and downs of life, but we are living now in the “age of depression.” What can we do about this?

Depression has a dangerous impact on people. When you feel depressed, you may do poorly in school; you may find it difficult to communicate with your family and friends or you may aggravate them. Moreover, you may tend to overeat or have a poor appetite; you may tend to oversleep or suffer from insomnia. You may also tend to smoke or drink alcohol or hang around peers who are having similar problems. All this leads to feelings of more depression
Many organizations for youth provide hotlines and 24-hour phone services to help teenagers to get rid of feelings of depression and its destructive impact on life activities.

Did you ever think that we as Muslims have our own hotline? Our hotline is Prayer— salah. Salah is an emergency hotline that you can pick up at any time and ask for any help you might need.

Salah—the second pillar of Islam—is a gift from Allah to His Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his Ummah—including you. So enjoy this gift and invest in it well. It is a connection between Allah and you. You can talk to Allah and ask for His guidance in any problem you face. You can even complain to Him about something you are expecting or afraid of. That is why some of the scholars said, “If you want to talk to Allah, make salah. And if you want Allah to talk to you, recite the Qur’an.”

We believe that Allah is our only Creator and that He is the One Who can guide us to what is best for us. So He is the One Who can fix our troubles, the One we can rely on in times of hardships and thank in times of ease.

Allah ordained salah—your gift—five times a day as a way of maintaining and fixing your heart, soul, and body. Likewise, you can pray at any time once you feel that you need a counselor or a guide to show you to the right path.

If someone invents a machine and sells it to you, you have to go to him regularly to maintain it and to fix any problem. You may not be aware of the problem, as you are simply the user, but he is aware of it as the inventor. And if something gets broken or out of order in this machine, you will go to him to fix it even if it is not time for its regular maintenance.
Seeking peace and calmness begins within you. You will never have outer peace if you don’t have inner peace. Allah says [and stand before Allah in a devout frame of mind] (Al-Baqarah 2:238). So you should approach salah in peace, pray it in peace, and finish it in peace, because salah gives you a break, both mentally and physically, from the daily stresses of life and in this way you will obtain peace.

If you are thinking of an important issue that you have to decide about but you can’t make up your mind, just give your mind a break from tension and pressure and perform a prayer seeking Allah’s guidance. This will provide your soul with comfort and give your mind a break and help you to think more clearly and practically about the situation that you are faced with. As Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) told Bilal, “Call for the prayers, it will comfort us.”

Furthermore, salah cleanses your soul of any daily sins and helps you to get rid of feelings of guilt that are one of main reasons of depression. So when you perform salah and ask for Allah’s forgiveness with a regretful heart, you will have all your sins forgiven, in sha’ Allah.

Physically, the different positions you take in salah have a great impact on strengthening your muscles. Also, performing salah activates and stretches your spine, which contains most of the nerves and energy centers of the body.

Moreover, Allah ordained ablution (wudu’) before performing salah because it prepares you to meet Allah in the best condition.

[O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer wash your faces and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles.] (Al-Ma’idah 5:6)

Wudu’ also has a great effect on the health of your body and soul. It not only gets rid of impurities, but also sins. As our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) told us, when a Muslim makes wudu’ in the proper way, the sins he or she has committed come out of every part cleaned and leaves it pure.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said, “Whoever makes wudu’ and makes it well, his sins come out from his body, even coming out from under his nails.” (Muslim 3/133 and others)
Your body is exposed to millions of germs and microbes during the day, and the water of wudu’ keeps the skin fresh and helps prevent infections. It also releases stress, so when you argue with someone, all you need to do is just make wudu’ and then you will feel calm and able to have a fruitful discussion with him or her.

Now is time to start! Never complain that salah is not fulfilling your demands, for you are the one who should invest Allah’s gift in the best way. And be sure that Allah guides you to the best even if it is not what you want. Also Allah likes you to continue asking with a sincere heart; thus salah will never fail you unless you fail salah first by neglecting it or doing it insincerely.

Nermin Abd El-Moneimis a staff writer and a Multimedia editor at IslamOnline.net, based in Cairo. She worked as an editor at Youth 4 the Future, and has been working in the youth field for three years. She can be reached at youth_campaign@iolteam.com.

Ramadhan
09-17-2010, 08:00 AM
From http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...D1119503544266

Question

As-Salamu `Alaykum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh.

Dear scholars, I would like to ask a simple question, which I have tried to find the answer to from a long time. Is there any scientific proofs that Prayer is good for one?

Note: I need a solid source if you could please as I am going to use it for da`wah (calling others to Islam) purposes.

Answer

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thanks for your question, which emanates from a God-fearing heart, since it shows your commitment to da`wah, the basic duty of every Muslim. We’d would like to commend your pursuit of Islamic counseling.

Answering your question, the American Muslim scholar, Sheik Yusuf Estes, Director of islamtomorrow.com, and National Chaplain WAMY, states:

“I would like to first congratulate you on your efforts for da`wah or the call to Islam. First of all, praise be to Almighty Allah Who made us Muslims, and entrusted us with the task of propagating this precious way of life. Keep in mind that Islam is more than just a religion. In fact, as you well know, Islam is a complete way of life for all people, in all places and all times.

Next, I would like to make the observation that giving da`wah has certain hard and fast rules that must be taken into consideration at all times. If you want to convince someone to become a Muslim and you try to show him that performing Prayer will somehow give him or her a physical benefit in this world, you need to demonstrate a cautious approach.

There are many things that we do everyday that do not necessarily have any scientific proof indicating physical benefit. One clear example is performing Hajj (Pilgrimage) to the House of Allah. Could you tell me any scientific proof that there is a physical benefit behind gathering 5,000,000 people to go to the same place at the same time in a place that normally holds only around 200,000? There is no physical benefit according to “modern science” for performing Hajj. So this type of argument would only take a person farther from the truth of Islam.

Concerning the “benefits” which “science” has made clear that one derives from physical positions or movements one assumes in the salah (Prayer), you might note the following:

Standing up straight is a correct position for the spine.

Bowing at a right angle allows a flow of energy from the pituitary gland in the back of the head.

Placing the head on the ground in sujud (prostration) allows a large amount of blood to enter into the brain.

Sitting in the jalsah (sitting position) to say the Tashahhud with the back straight and focusing all one’s attention on the right finger while moving it helps in enhancing the concentration.

I recall back in the 1960’s a program on television called “Today Show”. It had a segment on overcoming a deficiency in proper mental development. The doctor, host as a guest speaker in the program, explained that in modern society, given the fact that people were not getting enough time during the early years of development as a baby to crawl on the ground, he had developed a special exposure and women would be crawling around on the floor doing this exercise which, according to how it was demonstrated on the show, meant their heads were hanging down. He said that this was a necessary part of the proper development of the brain and mental well being.

However, I don’t advise that you use this type of approach in your da`wah. The reason is that it is not established from the Qur’an or the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) that you need to give scientific proofs to call people to Islam. Guidance is the main issue in calling to Islam. It is only Allah who guides and it is only Allah who misguides. So, explain Islam the same way that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) did and then pray to Allah to guide them.

This can be clarified more further through the hadith narrated by Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) sent Mu`adh to Yemen and said, "Invite the people to testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and I am Allah's Messenger, and if they obey you to do so, then enlighten them that Allah has enjoined on them five Prayers in every day and night (in twenty-four hours), and if they obey you to do so, then teach them that Allah has made it obligatory for them to pay the Zakah from their property and it is to be taken from the wealthy among them and given to the poor." (Reported by Al-Bukhari)

May Allah guide you to the straight path and direct you to that which pleases Him, Ameen.”

Ramadhan
09-17-2010, 08:19 AM
But why does he so command us? Many other prescriptions are supported by external reasoning which illustrates their particular value. Can this prescription not be so supported?
Please read previous explanations by br, Syed and the articles that I posted above.

I don't doubt my ability to learn it; what I doubt is the necessity or value of reciting it in Arabic. Let me explain, by way of background, that I am a philologist (in Germanic languages) by training. Accepting for the sake of the argument that Allaah revealed the Qur'an to Mohammed in the Arabic language of ~1500 years ago, and even accepting for the same purpose that the language has not changed in that time, the problem still remains that I (as an English-speaker), and doubtless many Muslims in such countries as Indonesia, cannot properly understand the Arabic of the first surah. I can understand its general import by resorting to a translation/interpretation, and I may even learn to correlate individual words of such a translation/interpretation with original Arabic words, but I nevertheless cannot (without becoming proficient in Arabic) understand the precise meaning of the Arabic phrases which I am uttering. Why should any person, let alone Allaah, wish me to recite verses the precise meaning of which I cannot know? If I recited those verses in a translated/interpreted form, Allaah would know what I meant, and I would know exactly what I were saying. If I recite them in Arabic, I will not know exactly what I am saying, dependent as I am on a translation/interpretation; Allaah will know what I intend to say (i.e., what I understand my translation/interpretation to mean), Allaah will know what I am in fact saying in Arabic, and Allaah will perceive the differences between the two which (subtle though they may be) will inevitably be present. Why would Allaah desire that?
If you already know the general meaning of Al fatihah then what's the problem?
I don't speak arabic, but when I recite Al fatihah, I know the meaning of it in my heart, so when I am reciting in salaah, it is not meaningless.
And this goes for any non-arabic speaking person, I suppose.
Unless, you are disputing the fact of why a translation of the Qur'an is not considered the Qur'an, in which case you should ask the question in the appropriate section or better yet, search many previously related topics.

You don't have to pray at the exact times of each adzan, although it is highly advisable and encourage (along with performing salaah in masjid).
For example, In my local area (Jakarta), the time for fajr is from 0430 until around 0600, dhuhur from around 1150 - 1500, asr from 1500 until 1750, maghrib from 1750 until 1900, isya from 1900 until midnight.
So in your case, you can pray dhuhur from 12:16 until thetime of asr (15:37 in your area)

Most Westerners do not get up at 04:52 in the morning. I get up at about 08:15. This puts the first prayer time squarely in the middle of my night's sleep. I accept that this presents little problem for (say) a farmer who gets up with the sun, but that is not so for those living a large Western metropolis.
Because I don't have to go to my office until 0800, this is what I somtimes do: I wake up for fajr at 0430, perform salah fajr, then go back to sleep.
However, I normally wake up early ofr fajr, then do some work out routine in my local gym before going to work.

Ramadhan
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
These are some articles about the benefits of fajr prayer and tips on how to wake up for fajr:

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...r-salah-d.html

http://www.themodernreligion.com/bas...ayer_fajr.html

http://fwerx.com/dru/studies-show-fajr-prayer-healthy

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29523208/W...ints-of-advice

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545446

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1157962463983

wulfilia
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Friends,

Thank you. That lot will keep me busy for a couple of days.

Peace,

Tom

Salahudeen
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Allah has said in his Qur'an

"And I have not created the jinn and mankind except that they should worship me (alone) 51:56

What is the meaning of worship?

Is the meaning of worship to establish prayer only?
Or to give Zakat?
Or to make Hajj to the house of Allah?
Or to fast?

Are these things only worship?

Or are these things mere signs of worship?

As explained by Shaykh Ul-Islam, Ibn Taymiyah, "Worship is an expression of love for Allah, and it also expresses complete humulity to Allah".

For worship does not merely mean prayer but prayer is just a sign of worship, worship is love for Allah. Many people claim that they love Allah and say "I have prayed, I have fasted, and I have performed Hajj and I gave Zakah. After all of this, what does Allah want from me, I have done all these forms of Worship? I have worshipped Allah"

Has this person really worshipped Allah?

The above was from a short book, if you're interested in more I can type the rest.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!