/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Floaters

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
:sl:
Does anyone have floaters in their eyes?

Wikipedia link here

If you have them in your eyes, please share it with us. Someone told me that it is an incurable disease and it gets worse by age or so. I am scared.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I've had them ever since I can remember. Not severe or anything. You just learn to ignore. I don't tend to notice them anymore.

S.Belle
09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
do you have it?
you can just get the laser procedure or here is another way to naturally cure them

What's the safest cure for floaters? Getting used to them. It's true; being bothered by floaters is entirely psychological. However, there are ways to actually decrease the floaters that we can see and, most importantly, stop more floaters from being formed.
The brain has a natural tendency to ignore everything that we do not need. Furthermore, there is a very strong correlation between the time we have experienced floaters and the actual floaters we see. The longer we've had them, the less we see them. If we add our eye's natural healing process to our brain's superb ignore capacity, it is conspicuous why we gradually stop seeing floaters.
How to stop floaters from being formed? While there is no real way to stop the formation of floaters (that is confirmed), there are many ways to strengthen one's eyes which will in turn lessen the creation of new floaters and even accelerate the eye's healing process as it has been proven by many doctors.
The first, and foremost most important step, is to have a good diet. This is not important: it's imperative. A good diet will not only help your eyes; it will help your heart, brain and just about your whole organism which will in turn help your eyes even more. Never underestimate the power of having a good diet. What constitutes a good diet? Water, vegetables, water and more vegetables. Of course you must add meat from time to time, fruits, bread; but with water and vegetables you are already halfway there. Avoid fast-food at all costs and try to eat fresh vegetables as frequently as possible.

Exercise is vital. I know that every doctor and his mother recommend the basic nutrition/exercise combination. It is so important that it's something you should be reminded again and again. That combination will not only help your eyes directly, it will help you lose weight which is a primary factor of vision-loss and even believed to be a direct cause of floaters. Nutrition and exercise will also help your heart - you need a strong heart for your eyes to function properly.

Gaze at the moon. It's been said that gazing at the moon does help preserve vision. Even better, it's rumored that the brain ignores floaters faster if you gaze at the moon for just five minutes every night. What have you got to lose? Try it!

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Yes, I have them and it bothers me a lot. I try to ignore them sometimes it drives me crazy.:ermm: Also I want to get rid of my spectacles. How can I do that? I just don't want to keep aside my spectacles :p, I want to increase my eyesight.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdussattar
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Hmm its a disease? I have had them since i was veryyyyyyy small and I thought of it as amusing, rather than bothering...

Even today, I play with them (trying to catch em') its fun!

abdussattar
09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Also I want to get rid of my spectacles. How can I do that? I just don't want to keep aside my spectacles , I want to increase my eyesight.
yeah me too...

S.Belle
09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes, I have them and it bothers me a lot. I try to ignore them sometimes it drives me crazy.:ermm: Also I want to get rid of my spectacles. How can I do that? I just don't want to keep aside my spectacles :p, I want to increase my eyesight.
maybe you should just get laser eye surgery or contacts
if you want to improve your vision maybe you should try changing what you eat here's a list of foods that help improve your vision

Foods to eat to have a better eye sight without glasses:
Eating Raw Carrots helps better your eyesight as it contains essential vitamin - Vitamin A.
Lutein is found in dark green vegetables such as spinach and kale. It is known to improve vision. Dark green vegetables help enhance your fertility and prevent aging too.
Eggs also contain a large amount of Lutein. Eating eggs keeps you healthy and at the same time improves your vision.
Dark Chocolate contains a large amount flavanoids. Flavanoids help protect the blood vessels of your eyes. This strengthens your cornea.
Anthocyanosides is a compound that reduces the chances vision loss. It is commonly found in Bilberries.
Salmon contains large amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin D. Vitamin A and D are nutrients that enhance your vision and help boost your brain power.
Garlic is another food that can enhance your vision. Garlic improves the circulation of blood in your body. This improves your immune system which in turn improves your eye health.

maybe also use kohl Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) recommended it

Ibn Abbas, radhiyallahu anhu reports: "Rasulullah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) applied kuhl of ithmid three times in each eye before sleeping." In a narration also from Ibn 'Abbas, radhiyallahu 'anhu, it is reported: "Rasulullah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied in each eye kuhl three times before sleeping."

Ibn 'Abbas, radhiyallahu 'anhu, says: "Rasulullah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) has said: 'The best from among all the kuhl used by you is the one made from ithmid. It brightens the eyesight and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes.' "

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Hmm its a disease? I have had them since i was veryyyyyyy small and I thought of it as amusing, rather than bothering...

Even today, I play with them (trying to catch em') its fun!
I too didn't know about this until now. When I was small I noticed it and then I could not explain it to anyone (was dumb then :p).

Alpha Dude
09-16-2010, 05:10 PM
(was dumb then :p).
I see that nothing has changed :p

I had difficulty trying to explain it to others as well. I thought I were unique. :exhausted

abdussattar
09-16-2010, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
Dark Chocolate
:p :awesome::popcorn::happy::D
One more reason for eating chocolate.... dairy milk!!! here I comeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

BTW, what is kohl?

S.Belle
09-16-2010, 05:20 PM
:p :awesome::popcorn::happy::D
One more reason for eating chocolate.... dairy milk!!! here I comeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

BTW, what is kohl?
Kohl is basically like eyeliner so you may want to wear when you are going to sleep or just at home lol
and if you decide to use it make sure it is made of ithmid.

Ithmid is a special type of kohl which is reddish black in colour. It is obtained in the Eastern countries. Some of the learned say it is the Isfahaani kuhl, and other say it is the Totiya. Some 'ulama say, it means those who have good eyesight and it should be used by those with whose eyesight it agrees, otherwise a sick person's eyes will pain more by its use. It is more beneficial to apply kohl at the time of sleeping as it will remain longer in the eyes, and will penetrate more into the pores. There are different narrations on the number of times it should be applied in each eye. In a few it is stated that it should be applied three times in each eye, as mentioned above.

abdussattar
09-16-2010, 05:25 PM
three times in each eye
Hmm is it surma? 'cuz I heard that it is sunnah to apply surma 3 times b4 you sleep...

S.Belle
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Hmm is it surma? 'cuz I heard that it is sunnah to apply surma 3 times b4 you sleep...
surma is just another name for kohl lik kol, kehal, or kohal is.

Woodrow
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Floaters are a perfectly normal thing. they seldom are the symptoms of any disease. We all have them. But they are so common our brain learns to ignore them. Occasionaly the appearance of a large number will be the result of a head injury or from a few diseases. But for most of us they are simply there and it just we suddenly noticed them. Once we notice them we become conscious of them and tend to notice them even more. Sort of like tounge awareness, when a person becomes aware of their own tounge and it feels like it is too big for their mouth.

Floaters are simply dead cells sloughing off the inner eyeball. These cells then float around in our optic fluids until our body eliminates them. Our eyes are amazing, if something floating in our optic fluid passes the right distance between our retina and cornea we can see it even if it is as small as a single cell.

If they do not completely block your vision, cause pain and you see no signs of blood their should be no concern about them. A big worry would be if you were to see things with a reddish or pinkish tinge or if you look at a white wall and it seems to be pink. That would strongly indicate there is bleeding inside your eye.

tango92
09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
We all have them.
guys your just weird, ive never had them alhumdulillah:phew

but i see multicoloured lights when i put my head in my hands....

أحمد
09-16-2010, 06:08 PM

maybe you should just get laser eye surgery or contacts
if you want to improve your vision maybe you should try changing what you eat here's a list of foods that help improve your vision

Foods to eat to have a better eye sight without glasses:
Eating Raw Carrots helps better your eyesight as it contains essential vitamin - Vitamin A.
Lutein is found in dark green vegetables such as spinach and kale. It is known to improve vision. Dark green vegetables help enhance your fertility and prevent aging too.
Eggs also contain a large amount of Lutein. Eating eggs keeps you healthy and at the same time improves your vision.
Dark Chocolate contains a large amount flavanoids. Flavanoids help protect the blood vessels of your eyes. This strengthens your cornea.
Anthocyanosides is a compound that reduces the chances vision loss. It is commonly found in Bilberries.
Salmon contains large amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin D. Vitamin A and D are nutrients that enhance your vision and help boost your brain power.
Garlic is another food that can enhance your vision. Garlic improves the circulation of blood in your body. This improves your immune system which in turn improves your eye health.

maybe also use kohl Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) recommended it

Ibn Abbas, radhiyallahu anhu reports: "Rasulullah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) applied kuhl of ithmid three times in each eye before sleeping." In a narration also from Ibn 'Abbas, radhiyallahu 'anhu, it is reported: "Rasulullah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) had a small container for keeping kuhl, from which he applied in each eye kuhl three times before sleeping."

Ibn 'Abbas, radhiyallahu 'anhu, says: "Rasulullah (Sall Allahu alaihi wa Aalihi wa Sallim) has said: 'The best from among all the kuhl used by you is the one made from ithmid. It brightens the eyesight and strengthens the growth of the eye lashes.' "
Flavonoids can be found in many fruits, as well as dark chocolate. As some people are more comfortable with fruits; they should know its easily available in many citrus fruits.

Eggs are a good source of retinol, which plays a vital role in maintaining clear vision; retinol deficiency is a known factor leading to cataracts.

abdussattar
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Sort of like tounge awareness, when a person becomes aware of their own tounge and it feels like it is too big for their mouth.
OMG a toung too big for one's mouth?:uuh:

Woodrow
09-16-2010, 06:23 PM

OMG a toung too big for one's mouth?:uuh:
GADS I can not believe I actually spelled Tongue like that. Yes a toung to big for a person's mouth would be a horrible thing.

734th reminder to myself--Proof read before hitting submit.

abdussattar
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Wow, I didn't even notice the spelling mistake you did...

Trumble
09-16-2010, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
I've had them ever since I can remember. Not severe or anything. You just learn to ignore. I don't tend to notice them anymore.
Likewise. They don't bother you after a while. I had no idea they were so common! I'm very short-sighted, and I always assumed they were linked to that in some way.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Floaters are simply dead cells sloughing off the inner eyeball. These cells then float around in our optic fluids until our body eliminates them. Our eyes are amazing, if something floating in our optic fluid passes the right distance between our retina and cornea we can see it even if it is as small as a single cell.
Most floaters are due to collagen fibers aggregating together.
www.oneclearvision.org

جوري
09-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Floaters are a perfectly normal thing. they seldom are the symptoms of any disease. .
true dat.. everyone has them to some degree, however they can be a sign of retinal detachment ******yikes********* not a good thing then..

:w:

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

true dat.. everyone has them to some degree, however they can be a sign of retinal detachment ******yikes********* not a good thing then..

But it bothers me. They are dark and not transparent like this one

. They are darker and very annoying.

Woodrow
09-16-2010, 11:23 PM

Most floaters are due to collagen fibers aggregating together.
www.oneclearvision.org
True for severe floaters caused by Degenerative Vitreous Syndrome. However, in the case of the common floaters that everybody has those are simply dead cellings sloughing off the inner lining. Similar to the skin cells we shed constantly

Woodrow
09-16-2010, 11:31 PM

Now that is beyond mild concern or just a pesty awareness. Wouldn't that normally be the result of a disease such as diabetes or a severe head injury?

But, perhaps if a person is having concerns about floaters it would be best to get an ophthalmic exam and get either an early diagnosis which is usually treatable or Peace of Mind they are just the common every day harmless floaters.

جوري
09-16-2010, 11:37 PM

Now that is beyond mild concern or just a pesty awareness. Wouldn't that normally be the result of a disease such as diabetes or a severe head injury?

But, perhaps if a person is having concerns about floaters it would be best to get an ophthalmic exam and get either an early diagnosis which is usually treatable or Peace of Mind they are just the common every day harmless floaters.
yup, trauma, autoimmune disease htn, dm, etc etc.
anything is possible lol..

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Floaters are a perfectly normal thing.

But highly myope people are at high risk of retinal detachment. And I am a myopic patient so that means I have to be more concerned about these floaters?

Woodrow
09-16-2010, 11:49 PM

But highly myope people are at high risk of retinal detachment. And I am a myopic patient so that means I have to be more concerned about these floaters?
Sister Lily may add her opinion. Myself if I knew I had any risk for retinal detachment I would be very concerned about floaters.

Beardo
09-17-2010, 01:28 AM
AbdulMajid bhai, I don't know if I'll ever be able to forgive you for making me read this thread. I become subconscious about these things. >_< Now everytime my glasses get dirty, I'm going to freak.

جوري
09-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Sister Lily may add her opinion. Myself if I knew I had any risk for retinal detachment I would be very concerned about floaters.
lol.. lots o myopic people don't have retinal detachment..
I have very poor vision myself, I am practically blind in one eye, where I had a terrible infection as a child and was sick for ages..

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-17-2010, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
(was dumb then :p).
I see that nothing has changed :p
:skeleton::offended:

CosmicPathos
09-20-2010, 05:39 AM
The name "Floaters," which is a cute little name for the disease, does not do justice to the debilitating and psychologically frustrating disease which inflicts many people in the world. Ophthalmologists tell such people to "live with it." Its insulting, if not insinuating and downright immoral, for ophthalmologists to discount vitreous opacities just like that in ppl who suffer from it. "live with it," they say. Its funny how modern medical advances allow one to enlarge their breasts but offers no safe treatment for vitreous opacities.

Most people have translucent floaters which do not bother them. because these floaters dont do anything in the eye except to just exist there and float around. But other ppl have darker floaters in the form of serious vitreous opacities which actually refract and blur light. These darker floaters decrease the quality of vision for these people and remain a constant nuisance in the sight.

I started a thread on floaters on IB in Feb 2010 (many ppl might recall it and search it). At that point I did not know whats going on but the last few months have taken me on a roller coaster ride. My floaters increased and become darker (thats why I started the thread in Feb) because of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). The collagen fibers have collapsed in my eye and and have presented themselves in an agonizing way. I am not even a sever myope ... just -2.50 in both eyes. Myopic people, be careful, be very careful.

Just thought I'd share that.

With 0 electives done in ophthalmology yet, I am still certain that is what I want to become from personal experience. To put an end to this accursed disease. inshALLAH.

@ abdulmajid: if you have darker floaters then there is no treatment for it. It means you are also at high risk for developing them in future. This is not a medical advice, just a probable scenario.

Severe myopes are at increased risk of retinal detachment. Retinal detachment is a medical emergency. If left untreated, it can lead to permanent blindness in few days or even in a day.

Symptoms of RD"

1- sudden increase in floaters
2- sudden flashes of thundering light in the eye
3- curtain over the vision.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Oh interesting thread
I dont have em, but as brother Woodrow says "we all have em" sounds kinda kool . . . . .

But ive never seen a "Floater" lol

tango92
09-20-2010, 12:48 PM
i actually thought this thread was about a bathroom related issue from the title ;D;D

abdussattar
09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Hmm im a high myopic with -4.5 on right and -4 on left :hmm: but I have translucent floaters... anyone got any tips on reducing my Myopia? :embarrass:

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
@ abdulmajid: if you have darker floaters then there is no treatment for it. It means you are also at high risk for developing them in future. This is not a medical advice, just a probable scenario.
You are scaring me. I have studied my floaters. I have transparent floaters with some darkness in between like Mitochondria ;D

Alpha Dude
09-20-2010, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
i actually thought this thread was about a bathroom related issue from the title ;D;D
Lol. So did I at first.

CosmicPathos
09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Hmm im a high myopic with -4.5 on right and -4 on left :hmm: but I have translucent floaters... anyone got any tips on reducing my Myopia? :embarrass:
myopia is due to a rather large/elongated eye ball. You could treat it with Lasik but I dont suggest that. better to wear spectacles. Myopia will stop naturally whenever your eyes will stop getting longer ....

you cant control emergence of floaters but you can take steps to reduce developing PVD and floaters ....

1- dont fall and hit your head on the ground!
2- dont let someone punch you in the eye
3- dont ever take roller coaster rides in theme parks
4- dont put gravity pressure on your eyes, only exception is sajood and rakoo in prayers ...
5- dont run and dont shake your head vigorously.

i would also like if the vale's lily can give more of her comments ....

abdussattar
09-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Myopia will stop naturally whenever your eyes will stop getting longer ....
Hmm My spectacle power hasnt decreased in the past 4 years.. Infact, its increasing... .50/year...

CosmicPathos
09-26-2010, 08:41 PM

Hmm My spectacle power hasnt decreased in the past 4 years.. Infact, its increasing... .50/year...
your myopia of -4.00 is not severe. its moderate. Severe myopia is usually above -6.00.

You cant stop your myopia. Its a natural process for it to increase unless the genes causing it are identified and then we might have some treatments. Just keep on getting your eyes checked yearly, by an ophthalmologist (eye specialist), not an optometrist! I do not trust optometrists!

Do not get LASIK surgery done, no matter how safe they it is. Every surgical intervention to body has risks. they money making eye specialists will say "ooh its only 0.01%." What if you fall into 0.01% and not 99.9%?? Life is not fair. Do not get LASIK for such a bengin issue of wearing glasses. Its safer to wear glasses. Many people's floaters increased after LASIK. And to be honest, glasses look cool, they add to personality.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-28-2010, 02:43 AM
And to be honest, glasses look cool, they add to personality.
I have to agree with you on this :)

abdussattar
09-28-2010, 07:38 AM
And to be honest, glasses look cool, they add to personality.
I know, My glasses look cool too, But I don't like it when my eyes water reasonlessly...

abdussattar
09-28-2010, 07:42 AM
ophthalmologist (eye specialist), not an optometrist
What is the difference between them?

Santoku
10-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Does anyone have floaters in their eyes?

Wikipedia link here

If you have them in your eyes, please share it with us. Someone told me that it is an incurable disease and it gets worse by age or so. I am scared.

Yes they are incurable,but my optician says they are nothing to worry about. Still they are not his eyes.

abdussattar
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
How did you place the camera INSIDE your eye, to record that thing...?

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-04-2010, 09:26 AM
LOL That is just imitation, computer generated.

abdussattar
10-06-2010, 07:49 AM
ohh dumb me :X

I thought it was some modern nanocamera........

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!