/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with animal drawing addiction

Amoeba
09-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Asalam alaykum,

Can anybody help me with my animal drawing addiction? I fear going cold turkey will be too much of a shock to my system, but slow weaning is not working. It is my therapy and my only natural talent, I believe Allah gave me this talent because I was practically born with it and it comes completely natural to me, I was drawing animals much earlier than most children and exceptionally well without anyone to teach me, parents had low income and couldn't even buy me art supplies (so I was using scraps and broken pencils) and there are no artists in my family. I think He gave it to me to test my faith and see if I would really give it up for Him. Because it's as natural to me as eating and breathing (and as nourishing) it's extremely difficult to give it up.

I have only known for a short time how bad it is and although I have not gone back to it since then (a day), I am practically biting my nails over wanting to draw again. I can't draw anything other than living things, I'm rubbish at landscapes and plants (I know they're living but they're permissible aren't they?) and cars and buildings and planets... and they don't satisfy my addiction.

I am confused and worried though, after I die I will be asked to breathe life into each of my drawings and will be unable to, and punished until I can (which is never). But to create life is not something I want to do anyway even though I do like to draw animals, so this is an unusual punishment? Because I don't think "this is my creation" I think "this is my illustration of something that's not real and never will be". But then I read it doesn't matter what your intention is. I'm so confused.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vigno
09-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Wa Alekum Asalam Wa Rahmatul Allahi Wa Barakatuh

I can understand exactly how you feel because I had the same problem. I had my books of fantastic drawings of animals and people. I really loved drawing them and I had a big talent. But then I came to know its haram for us to draw living things and as you already know we ll be punished and asked to give life to them. Same thing for those who make statues. So there was no choice but to stop. So I threw away my books and although it was hard, I was happy to follow Allah's will and you know what then? I found that I had other talents like football and poetry. So you never know what you have till you discover for yourself inshallah.

So don't be upset, Allah swt will compensate for you inshallah and am sure you also will be happy when you obey Allah swt =)

Amoeba
09-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Yeah, and it's not easy when you have some muslims telling you it's okay too. I really appreciate your reply, I was thinking I was the only one in this situation. It brings me some hope to hear that you were able to get through it.

It's so difficult because it's such a big part of our life for us artists. I have tried replacing what I do with halal art but to no avail. I really don't want this ability to go to waste though, only Allah knows what is best, on one hand I don't think He would have given me this ability just so that I would have to give it up, but on the other hand I can't know that for sure. I seem to be rubbish at any other type of art.

I don't know... do you think I should get rid of all my projects now? Or when I feel ready? I'm not sure I will ever feel ready. They're all projects I really wanted to finish and knowing I can never complete them is one thing. But they're wasted time too. They're not anything that will bring me or anyone else any benefit. I know what I need to do but it's near impossible to bring myself to do it.

Vigno
09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Yeah, and it's not easy when you have some muslims telling you it's okay too. I really appreciate your reply, I was thinking I was the only one in this situation. It brings me some hope to hear that you were able to get through it.

It's so difficult because it's such a big part of our life for us artists. I have tried replacing what I do with halal art but to no avail. I really don't want this ability to go to waste though, only Allah knows what is best, on one hand I don't think He would have given me this ability just so that I would have to give it up, but on the other hand I can't know that for sure. I seem to be rubbish at any other type of art.

I don't know... do you think I should get rid of all my projects now? Or when I feel ready? I'm not sure I will ever feel ready. They're all projects I really wanted to finish and knowing I can never complete them is one thing. But they're wasted time too. They're not anything that will bring me or anyone else any benefit. I know what I need to do but it's near impossible to bring myself to do it.
I say you need to push yourself on this one. Don't wait as I didn't. The more you wait, the more satan will get you attached to it. So just tear his weapon and trust me you will get over it for as you said it brings benefit to no one, but rather brings sins and depression.
You are free to discuss how your status develops with time and I will pray for you inshallah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
09-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I will just have to, yes.

There's something I still don't understand though. Why is it ok to draw plants when they're just as much alive as, say, a corral (which is an animal?). If you're allowed to draw a tree but not a corral, or an anemone, what is the basis behind this? At first I figured it was things with faces but no, some animals don't have faces.

Yanal
09-19-2010, 06:27 PM
:sl:

Have you tried attempting other things? You might have hidden skills you may never know of due to the fact you have been only drawing. You never know.

S.Belle
09-21-2010, 01:21 AM
I had this same problem to get my mind off of drawing people and animals I started getting into making abstracts and working with different medias. Inshallah this will help you because instead of thinking about drawing animals you will start thinking about how can I use this or work with this particular medium.

Oh also flowers and trees are ok to draw because they are not animate objects (it is haram to draw animate objects, mountains are ok because they are inanimate).
Yes a flower can grow but it does not actually have a mind of its own to grow in the way it wants to, it only grows in the direction of the sun.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!