/* */

PDA

View Full Version : please clarify drawing for me

Amoeba
09-19-2010, 11:21 AM
There is so much mixed information and misinformation on drawing. Drawing is my only talent and skill and I'm only really good at it when it involves animals. If I am to stop drawing animals I will need to transfer my skills on to something that is halal, because I can't do anything other than draw art.

All that I have been able to gather are that it is very wrong to draw humans and animals, and that it's okay to draw landscapes and plants. However I'm still not 100% clear on this because I have seen many convincing arguments either way.

1) Is it really safe to draw plants? Because plants are living organisms and so are animals, what makes plants exempt from the no drawing rule? It's not that they have facial features, because there are plenty of animals that also don't have facial features, such as corrals and jellyfish.

2) Is it safe to draw landscapes that exist?

3) Is it safe to draw landscapes that don't exist?

5) Does celestial art (artwork depicting things in space, such as planets and stars) count as being safe to draw, as landscapes supposedly are?

6) What about imaginary celestial art, like imaginary landscape art?

I seem to be only any good at drawing things from nature and without this skill I have no other skills. I need to know what is ok for me and what isn't ok for me to draw.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
09-19-2010, 03:54 PM
:sl:

To the best of my understanding, 1-6: Yes, they are all safe. You should be okay if you stay away from humans and animals.

Hamza Asadullah
09-26-2010, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
There is so much mixed information and misinformation on drawing. Drawing is my only talent and skill and I'm only really good at it when it involves animals. If I am to stop drawing animals I will need to transfer my skills on to something that is halal, because I can't do anything other than draw art.

All that I have been able to gather are that it is very wrong to draw humans and animals, and that it's okay to draw landscapes and plants. However I'm still not 100% clear on this because I have seen many convincing arguments either way.

1) Is it really safe to draw plants? Because plants are living organisms and so are animals, what makes plants exempt from the no drawing rule? It's not that they have facial features, because there are plenty of animals that also don't have facial features, such as corrals and jellyfish.

2) Is it safe to draw landscapes that exist?

3) Is it safe to draw landscapes that don't exist?

5) Does celestial art (artwork depicting things in space, such as planets and stars) count as being safe to draw, as landscapes supposedly are?

6) What about imaginary celestial art, like imaginary landscape art?

I seem to be only any good at drawing things from nature and without this skill I have no other skills. I need to know what is ok for me and what isn't ok for me to draw.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, jazakallahu khayran for your question. According to Sheikh Mufti Ebrahim Desai:

Picture frames and photographs of animate objects are not permissible to display. Frames having pictures of inanimate objects e.g. trees, mountains, etc. are permissible.

Hadhrat Abu Talha (Radhiyallaahu ?nhu) narrates that Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'Angels do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or picture.' (Mishkat vol. 2 p. 385)

Abdullah ibn Mas'od (Radhiyallaahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, 'The people with the most severe punishment by Allah will be the picture makers.' (Ibid).

Hadhrat Ibn Abbas (RA) narrates, 'I heard the messenger of Allah saying,
"Every picture-maker will be in the fire. A life will be created for every picture the picture-maker made, and he will be tortured in Hell."

If you have to make pictures (says Ibn Abbaas) then make a picture of a tree or such things which are inanimate.' (Bukhari and Muslim)

Therefore sister you should just stick to draw innanimate objects as oppose to animate objects.

and Allah Knows Best in all matters

Amoeba
09-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Thank you.

There is this one person who won't agree with me that drawing humans and animals is wrong, even presented with the evidence they will hang on to an answer they found in a Q&A website that states it's all ok. You know, the old "if your intention is right" excuse! :( If you present them with the evidence they fog it off and give you the Q&A answer that is clearly wrong.

Where do I find the source of the quotes you have because if I can find the source and present it to them then maybe they'll understand... thanks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
09-26-2010, 08:40 PM
:sl:

The hadith is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, according to the saheeh hadeeth: “Every image maker will be in the Fire.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The most severely punished of people on the Day of Resurrection will be the image-makers, those who tried to imitate the creation of Allaah.” And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The makers of these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and they will be told, ‘Give life to that which you have created.’”

Drawing as a whole is not prohibited. What really is prohibited is to draw animate things, things that have a life, and scholars say that anything with a face should not be drawn but Allaah knows best in all matters...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!