/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hijab - doing the opposite of what it's supposed to?!

Amoeba
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
So before I tried wearing hijab I wear very baggy jeans and baggy shirts that are comfortable and loose covering. My shape was not very visible (I've had a thing about that since I was a little girl, always hated tight clothing, even clothing people wouldn't normally consider tight) but you could see some slight shape as it was inevitable and very minimal. So, for hijab I wore longer sleeves and a headscarf that also covered my chest area and a head band that kept my hair pulled back tightly. All my clothes and my head scarves are plain and lighter pastel colours or darker earthy colours. The exception is orange, I just like orange, dunno why. I do not wear make-up (never have) I don't shave or pluck (never have) and I have thick eyebrows and some shadow of hair above my upper lip, I don't wear perfume (never have) and stopped wearing deodorant years ago.

Before hijab: I hardly ever got any male attention and when I did it was either necessary, such as at university where I'd ask advice from professors or have to work in a group, or outside where I live which is a low income area and many of the men are very shallow and comment pretty much every woman they pass by on their looks and nothing else. I always got the negative comments about how ugly I looked. It was brief and purely to express their disinterest so I was always left alone by men.

After hijab: First of all I noticed how more people were looking at me. Second I noticed compliments on how I looked, something I never expected and have never had before. When it was from the sisters I figured they were just trying to be nice and help me to feel more comfortable wearing hijab. But then I started to get "checked out" by guys too, and I do not like this at all! I get told I look pretty and cute.

Honestly how can this be? I thought the hijab was to prevent attention, but suddenly I'm getting attention! I don't like this. And it's the main reason I prefer now not to wear it unless I'm learning or taking part in the prayers.

What am I doing wrong? Why is hijab drawing more attention to me now than before I used to wear it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
09-20-2010, 03:10 PM
I think its making the transition from darkness to light that has left your face to glow and that is the reason people are looking at you, they see that you are full of vigour and liveliness because you have gone along with your natural disposition which is to worship Allah alone.

Allah knows best

Alpha Dude
09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
:sl: You're not doing anything wrong. I agree with Abdullahi.

It's a shame sister, that it has reached the point where you feel the need to take it off. Please keep in mind that hijab is obligatory. Just try to ignore their stares/comments and go about your business..

Ansariyah
09-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Are u a new Hıjabıe sıs? I thınk Hıjab does brıng a change, ıts not just a pıece of cloth ıts guidence n as the bro mentıoned theres noor on the face mashaAllah. Don't take the positive compliments wrongly, at the end of the day u wear the hijab to worship your lord up above...So keep on doıng that InshaAllah.: )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
09-20-2010, 03:37 PM
its only natural sis that when you accept the command of Allah, that He puts the light of imaan on your face

you will notice that with many practicing muslims, reverts especially - that they look different

Snowflake
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Sis, the attention you get can be from respect, and not from lust. When we see visible signs of the fulfilment of Allah's commands on His slaves, we automatically feel respect for those people. We find them beautiful. Not by lust, but admiration. But, if you feel that's not why you're getting attention, then still don't let other people's reactions put you off. You're wearing hijab for Allah, not for them. As regards to hijab being a protection for women, you can be assured that even though people may look, they won't dare touch. Therefore you are still way more protected than a woman without hijab. : )

Souljette
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Assalamualikum sis,
this happens sis ..when i first started wearin hijab ii thought it would prevent attraction but instead i was gettin more attention ..my friends were saying i look prettier than before adn all that.. i also wondered why.. but it is Allah's command ..and u know what i did when i felt hijab made me look pretty as everyone was sayin..i started wearin niqab lolzzz .. now after that what came along was My eyes look nice lolz..in the end we just follow What Allah subhana talaa has ordered us to do and inshallah everything will b fine

Cabdullahi
09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
Assalamualikum sis,
this happens sis ..when i first started wearin hijab ii thought it would prevent attraction but instead i was gettin more attention ..my friends were saying i look prettier than before adn all that.. i also wondered why.. but it is Allah's command ..and u know what i did when i felt hijab made me look pretty as everyone was sayin..i started wearin niqab lolzzz .. now after that what came along was My eyes look nice lolz..in the end we just follow What Allah subhana talaa has ordered us to do and inshallah everything will b fine
you should wear blindfolds and niqab! or even burglar stockings

Ummu Sufyaan
09-21-2010, 03:30 AM
:sl:
mashaAllah may Allah keep you steadfast and make it easy for you.

i pretty much agree with everyone else. what occurs shouldn't be a reason to deter you away from what you need to do.

are you actually wearing the hijab properly....so colors and actually style is in line with how its meant to be =)

if you can, stay away from places where you get the wrong type of attention (from men) :hmm: for your own safety more than anything.

cat eyes
09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
people are attracted to clothes more then anything when you take this all away and you just wear black you won't get any attention.

stop saying that hijab is causing men to look at you.. its the color hijab you wearing that is causing men to look at you.

please see brother hamza's thread ''hijab is not a fashion accessory''

that should solve your problem

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette
Assalamualikum sis,
Aslaamu`Alaaykum
I agree with you , that is exactly what happened with me when i firstly started wearing the Hijaab, so InshaAllaah one day i wanna wear the Niqaab! however it was a hugeeeee changee still, since i start wearing the Hijaab i dont get as much attention as before and it makes me feel Modest : D Also it makes you realise you must lower your gaze so you wont have to worry about whos looking at you and it pleases Allaah, by wearing the Hijaab your pleasing Allaah SWT and indeed you will get your reward also with having the right intentions.

Agree with sis Cat Eyes, maybe its your Hijaab colour, maybe you should try Black, or plain ones that wont attract attention InshaAllaah. . .
But Masha`Allaah that you are wearing the Hijaab in the proper Manner! And May Allaah make it easy for you Ameen

Also maybe coz it makes you look real pretty, you could also consider the Niqaab if that ever comes an option in future InshaAllaah.

Wa`Alaaykum Salaam

tango92
09-21-2010, 05:52 PM
maybe Allah swt has given your face noor because of the hijab....

it is Allah who is the turner of the hearts

Hamza Asadullah
09-22-2010, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
So before I tried wearing hijab I wear very baggy jeans and baggy shirts that are comfortable and loose covering. My shape was not very visible (I've had a thing about that since I was a little girl, always hated tight clothing, even clothing people wouldn't normally consider tight) but you could see some slight shape as it was inevitable and very minimal. So, for hijab I wore longer sleeves and a headscarf that also covered my chest area and a head band that kept my hair pulled back tightly. All my clothes and my head scarves are plain and lighter pastel colours or darker earthy colours. The exception is orange, I just like orange, dunno why. I do not wear make-up (never have) I don't shave or pluck (never have) and I have thick eyebrows and some shadow of hair above my upper lip, I don't wear perfume (never have) and stopped wearing deodorant years ago.

Before hijab: I hardly ever got any male attention and when I did it was either necessary, such as at university where I'd ask advice from professors or have to work in a group, or outside where I live which is a low income area and many of the men are very shallow and comment pretty much every woman they pass by on their looks and nothing else. I always got the negative comments about how ugly I looked. It was brief and purely to express their disinterest so I was always left alone by men.

After hijab: First of all I noticed how more people were looking at me. Second I noticed compliments on how I looked, something I never expected and have never had before. When it was from the sisters I figured they were just trying to be nice and help me to feel more comfortable wearing hijab. But then I started to get "checked out" by guys too, and I do not like this at all! I get told I look pretty and cute.

Honestly how can this be? I thought the hijab was to prevent attention, but suddenly I'm getting attention! I don't like this. And it's the main reason I prefer now not to wear it unless I'm learning or taking part in the prayers.

What am I doing wrong? Why is hijab drawing more attention to me now than before I used to wear it?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister a lot of the looks may just be of an inquisitive nature and not necesserily of a lustful one. It does depend on the type of clothing and colours that you wear. Do you currently wear a proper hijaab and jilbaab?

Have a read of this thread:

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...accessory.html

Amoeba
09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't wear hijab to be fashionable. Honestly I look in the mirror and think "this is the plainest I can get". Actually I never liked being fashionable, it's a pet hate of mine. Plain and baggy is the way I go. And those are the plainest head scarves I could find so I don't know how else to change things.

cat eyes
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM

you can order these outfits online if their is no store near you.

grey and black is preferred.

i do not see how hijab can be drawing you attention unless you are not wearing it properly or you are not wearing the proper gear.

Amoeba
09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah... I'd consider that more attention-drawing than what I'm wearing, aside from the fact that I can't find a plain dark coloured covering for my head. White is the plainest I can get, and it's still pretty bright. You may be right I might need to ask someone to help me order online.

I'm beginning to think maybe I look manly because I have a little facial hair and big thick eyebrows, so when I put on a head scarf people associate me more as a female. Maybe it brings out my feminine traits rather than making me look any more attractive?

Are there certain outfits that are better for hiking, walking through vegetation and climbing?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!