/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What The Salaf Said Regarding Theological Rhetoric (Kalaam)

imam bukhari
09-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee (d.204) said, “My ruling regarding the people of Kalaam (theological rhetoric) is that they should be beaten with palm leaves and shoes and be paraded amongst the kinsfolk and the tribes with it being announced, ‘This is the reward of the one who abandons the Book and the sunnah and turns to theological rhetoric (kalaam).“

[Sharh 'Aqeedatut-Tahaawiyyah og Ibn 'Abdil-'Izz, p. 75]

Ibn ‘Abdil-Barr said, “The people of Fiqh and Aathaar in all the various towns and cities are agreed unanimously that the Ahlul-Kalaam (People of theological rhetoric) are but Ahlul-Bida’ waz-Zaigh (the People of Innovations and Deviation). And they are not considered, by all of the above, to be amongst the ranks of the Scholars (in truth).“

[Reported by Ibn Qudaamah in his Burhaan Fee Bayaanil-Qur'aan]

Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee said, “That a person is pout to trail with everything that Allaah has forbidden, besides Shirk, is better than that he looks at Kalaam (theological rhetoric).“

Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee also said, “If people knew what (misleading and destructive) desires are contained within theological rhetoric they would certainly flee from it as they would from a lion.“

Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee also said, “Whoever showed boldness in approaching theological rhetoric will never prosper.“

[Reported by Ibn Qudaamah in his Burhaan Fee Bayaanil-Qur'aan]

One of the Scholars of Ash-Shaash said:

“Every knowledge except that of the Qur’aan is a pre-occupation
Except for the Hadeeth and Fiqh (understanding) of the deen
Knowledge is only that about which it is said,
‘Haddathanaa…” (So and so narrated to us (a hadeeth))
And what is besides that
Are but whisperings of the Shaytaan (Devils)”

Aboo Yoosuf, the companion of Aboo Haneefah, said, “Whoever sought knowledge by Kalaam (theological rhetoric) will turn a heretical apostate.“

Imaam Ahmad (d. 241) said, “The person of theological rhetoric will never prosper. And never do you see anyone looking into theological rhetoric except that in his heart is a desire for creating mischief.“

[Both the above narrations are reported Ibn Qudaamah in his Burhaan Fee Bayaanil-Qur'aan]

[Taken from "Foundations Of The Sunnah" Pp. 16-17]

Source: http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.co...etoric-kalaam/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Imaam Ash-Shaafi’ee [/B]said, “That a person is pout to trail with everything that Allaah has forbidden, besides Shirk, is better than that he looks at Kalaam (theological rhetoric).

ah man i dont understand that at all, care to explain please.

innovation is a dodgy subject, using logic to approach something is a common and recognised method.
it is the basis of the sciences,
the only place it does not apply is social interaction or life for the most part.
anyway as long as we dont pervert the verses of the quran for are own benifit we should be just fine.
makes me feel that religion is a deeply personal thing, explaining to others and it becomes something else almost.
we are not the same in understanding or knowlage, dont think that this means that those with knowlage and/or understanding are higher... it doesnt work like that.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-20-2010, 06:18 PM
What is Theological Rhetoric? Is it fiqh? I commented on the blog but didn't get th reply moreover it was deleted.

imam bukhari
09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
What is Theological Rhetoric? Is it fiqh? I commented on the blog but didn't get th reply moreover it was deleted.
Assalaamu 'alaykum,

Yh i remember u asked me wht theological rhetoric was on this post (http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.co...gical-rhetoric) and i answered the question by forwading u to this post (http://theauthenticbase.wordpress.co...etoric-kalaam/) as the answer was long and the question was already asked by another user. also there were some counter questions there aswell....

Unless u r referring to another question u askd me; in tht case, i do oppologise as maybe i accidently deleted it (which is not the usual me)...

I hope this is a satisfactory answer...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!