/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Windows won't boot, looking for something to recover the files so I can do a format.

Salahudeen
09-26-2010, 01:01 AM
I can't get into Windows, whenever the pc comes on it says something about a file being corrupt or missing. I've tried putting the windows cd in and repairing the install however it doesn't recognise any operating system as being installed, it only gives me the option to do a fresh install.

So how do I recover the files? then I can proceed with a fresh install.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GreyKode
09-26-2010, 01:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
I can't get into Windows, whenever the pc comes on it says something about a file being corrupt or missing. I've tried putting the windows cd in and repairing the install however it doesn't recognise any operating system as being installed, it only gives me the option to do a fresh install.

Assalamu alaikum,

Take out the hard disk and connect it to another computer.

GreyKode
09-26-2010, 01:19 AM
I am not going anywhere if you need any help, I will try my best to help.

Woodrow
09-26-2010, 01:25 AM

:sl:

Ouch, that hurts

If you using Vista it is a fairly common problem. It is a corrupted system 32 file. This might work for you, restart the PC while holding down on the F-8 key. It should open with the MS-DOS menu. Select Safe mode with Command prompt. Inshallah it will open. Select yes on each of the choices. When it opens if Safe Mode, immediatly click start and then restart from the close menu. It should open. But at this point insert you set-up CD and choose the setup option without restarting. It should te-install without any loss of your files.

May it work for you, it worked on my wifes laptop when we got the dreaded blank screen. I did that out of frustration and trial and error. Mashallah it worked on her laptop before I threw it out the nearest window.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Salahudeen
09-26-2010, 07:23 PM
I've tried that akhi woodrow. can't even get into safe mode :( I'm going to take the hard disk out and connect it to another computer, or I might buy a new hard drive and install Windows on it. Then copy the stuff from the old hard drive on to the new one. Then format the old one.

Alpha Dude
09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
You could get a hard drive enclosure like this and use it as an external USB drive.

For a more immediate solution, try downloading a Ubuntu live CD and booting from that. Here's some instructions (few years old so make sure you check around to get the latest info):

Woodrow
09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I've tried that akhi woodrow. can't even get into safe mode :( I'm going to take the hard disk out and connect it to another computer, or I might buy a new hard drive and install Windows on it. Then copy the stuff from the old hard drive on to the new one. Then format the old one.
Since what I said did not work, That is the only option left.

If that don't work, it means there was physical damage done to the HDD and for that, home repairs are out of the question.

Salahudeen
09-26-2010, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
You could get a hard drive enclosure like this and use it as an external USB drive.

For a more immediate solution, try downloading a Ubuntu live CD and booting from that. Here's some instructions (few years old so make sure you check around to get the latest info):
I have an external drive but no idea how to run Windows off it, I'm going to go to my aunties house and burn the Ubuntu cd and give that a try.

GreyKode
09-26-2010, 08:05 PM

This was the second option that I was going to offer to squiggle, this isa is 100% going to work. I had the same problem a few days ago, the Ubuntu live CD is excellent, all the wireless card drivers are installed so you can easily access the internet.

Alpha Dude
09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
The ubuntu should sort you out inshaAllah.

As for the other thing, what I meant was, buy an enclosure/hard drive caddy (around 5-10 pounds) that will let you use your non-booting hard drive as an external USB storage device. You don't need to boot from it, you can simply use it as a 'usb drive' for storing data. You would of course be able to retrieve what's already on there.

Salahudeen
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
The ubuntu should sort you out inshaAllah.

As for the other thing, what I meant was, buy an enclosure/hard drive caddy (around 5-10 pounds) that will let you use your non-booting hard drive as an external USB storage device. You don't need to boot from it, you can simply use it as a 'usb drive' for storing data.
Ah I get you now, make it into a external hdd then copy the information from it :) this is also worth a try hmmmm

GreyKode
09-26-2010, 08:09 PM
here is the link to download the ubuntu live : http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

GreyKode
09-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Unless you know this, be informed that an Ubuntu live is a fully functional OS that will allow you to brows through you hard drive and copy files as needed.

Salahudeen
09-26-2010, 08:12 PM
OK I'll burn Ubuntu live onto a cd, boot from it, copy all the information onto a external drive then format it :)

أحمد
09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
:sl:

If the problem is related to missing or corrupt NTLDR; its easily repairable. Use any system repair CD, e.g. Acronis Disk Director, Spotmau Powersuite, Norton Ghost or anything similar. I recommend either Hiren's Boot CD or Admin Tools or Admin Tools from Vortex.

If the problem is something other than NTLDR; please give any details you think are relevant to diagnose the fault.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!