/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Question...

Tyrion
09-26-2010, 02:12 AM
Mac or PC? :D

This is not a "which should I buy" thread, I was just wondering what the fine people of IB preferred. :p Personally, I prefer PC's, but I think that's mainly due to my lack of experience with Macs... The fact that Macs are a bit overpriced might have something to do with it as well...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insecured soul
09-26-2010, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Mac or PC?

This isn't a "which should I buy" thread, I was just wondering what the fine people of IB preferred. Personally, I prefer PC's, but I think that's mainly due to my lack of experience with Macs... The fact that Macs are a bit overpriced might have something to do with it as well...
I would recommend Mac, iv been a pc user for almost a decade, now its been 3 months im using macbook and i realize its the best

Dagless
09-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Depends what you want to use it for. Personally I find many of the apps I use to be missing on macs.

Yanal
09-26-2010, 03:20 AM
:sl:

Personally for me its PC.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
09-26-2010, 03:52 AM
I've always been a pc guy. My undergrad was in engineering, so that pretty much ruled out mac :)

I admire the graphics and quality of mac, though.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-26-2010, 05:30 AM
For me it has to be a PC with a custom operating system. Both Windows and Macintosh are proprietary. :D But if its between Windows and Mac, I'd prefer Mac.

Trumble
09-26-2010, 10:48 AM
PC, with both Windows 7 and Linux (I'd recommend Ubuntu) installed. Covers all the bases then, the widest availability of applications (and games come to that) for PC, plus vast quantities of free (and frequently better) apps on Linux.

Nothing against Macs as such, I just consider them over-priced and not supporting several apps I want to run. Depends what your principal use is; a Mac is probably a better choice for publishing and design work.

abdussattar
09-26-2010, 11:01 AM
What is the difference between a Mac and a PC...? :?

:innocent:

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-26-2010, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
What is the difference between a Mac and a PC...? :?

:innocent:
Mac and PC have different processor architectures. Mac has 'powerPC' arch and PCs have x86 and x86_64.

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-26-2010, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
PC, with both Windows 7 and Linux (I'd recommend Ubuntu) installed. Covers all the bases then, the widest availability of applications (and games come to that) for PC, plus vast quantities of free (and frequently better) apps on Linux.
I have to agree with you on this

abdussattar
09-26-2010, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Mac has 'powerPC' arch and PCs have x86 and x86_64.
:?

Oh well I'd leave it.. I'm not a computer engineer :(

Dagless
09-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Mac and PC have different processor architectures. Mac has 'powerPC' arch and PCs have x86 and x86_64.
They've both been using x86 for a while now. Apple made the switch a few years ago.

جوري
09-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Mac is good for entertainment in all facets, reading, videos, maps, movies,, some programs for medicine and pharmacy if you are in either field but they are expensive to download and of course games, and quick applications but not a substitute for a PC.. I realized that very early on when I wanted to make the switch and was stuck on a power point presentation I was working on in the hospital library, be that as it may I own several apple items, nano, touch, Ipad, and so if you are looking for sheer cool then get an IPAD but don't substitute that for a PC just supplement.

Alpha Dude
09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Scarcely had the opportunity to use macs much so can only say I'm better suited to using PCs.

We do have an old iMAC G4 though. I find it rubbish.. :><:

The design is really cool however:

tango92
09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
macks have only one button on the mouse. i therefore will not even try to comprehend them....

جوري
09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
The design is really cool however:
That is the thing about mac all looks and no personality..we are all allowed to be slightly superficial I am utterly in love with my IPAD but that is as far as we'll take it with a Mac product..

CosmicPathos
09-26-2010, 05:37 PM
macbook served me well in the last 2 years of undergrad, it was a good experience breaking away from windows ... I recently bought a windows laptop, not as powerful as my macbook actually, but I keep getting back to it? Dont really know why but it seems, it feels I am back at home?

For reading books, I find iPad to be an expensive solution. Why not buy a cool nice Lenovo X series tablet and actually enjoy reading away on a screen in addition to doing other computer-related stuff? (I am a paper guy and cannot stand reading, specially memorizing on screens)

Vale: what kind of med apps you would suggest for me? links? *offtopic)

'Abd Al-Maajid
09-26-2010, 07:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar

:?

Oh well I'd leave it.. I'm not a computer engineer :(
Neither am I. :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
They've both been using x86 for a while now. Apple made the switch a few years ago.
I think they did not make it official, however I you can install Mac on intel based PCs by using some hacks. :? (not sure about this tho)

Dagless
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I think they did not make it official, however I you can install Mac on intel based PCs by using some hacks. :? (not sure about this tho)
It was announced in 2006. The new Snow Leopard only runs on x86 chips (so will work on pc's), it doesn't even support ppc chips.

جوري
09-26-2010, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist

Vale: what kind of med apps you would suggest for me? links? *offtopic)
I think they have some question banks for step I, also epocrates, lexicomp, a few books, just type in medical and see what comes up.. your needs will evolve in medical school.. I think if they have a physiology Q bank you should download that and give it a go every day.. physio, pathophysio and biochem are probably the fundamentals of medicine.. everything else draws from that, for instance if you understand physio you'll have an easy time in pharmacology, if you understand biochem then genetics will be a breeze etc..
and try to enjoy your time as a student because honestly it only gets worse and harder not better or easier..

:w:

CosmicPathos
09-26-2010, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

I think they have some question banks for step I, also epocrates, lexicomp, a few books, just type in medical and see what comes up.. your needs will evolve in medical school.. I think if they have a physiology Q bank you should download that and give it a go every day.. physio, pathophysio and biochem are probably the fundamentals of medicine.. everything else draws from that, for instance if you understand physio you'll have an easy time in pharmacology, if you understand biochem then genetics will be a breeze etc..
and try to enjoy your time as a student because honestly it only gets worse and harder not better or easier..

jazakAllah for the tips. yes, the path is long and tough, right from the first week. inshAllah khayr ... living life itself is not easy so why expect secondary things we take upon ourselves in life to be easier?

I only hope that the path will put some sense into the competitive yet "childish" nature of classmates the sooner they get off the high of "white coat ceremony."

جوري
09-26-2010, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
jazakAllah for the tips. yes, the path is long and tough, right from the first week. inshAllah khayr ... living life itself is not easy so why expect secondary things we take upon ourselves in life to be easier?

I only hope that the path will put some sense into the competitive yet "childish" nature of classmates.
everyone hates their classmates.. I honestly couldn't imagine 90% of those people I was with being doctors and in charge of others someday.. and some were plain perverts, it is really disgusting .. you are only responsible for yourself and only you can decide what kind of doctor you are going to make and how you desire to practice medicine..

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Geeky thread :-\

And would say Pc as ive never used a Mac. . . .

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!