/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pastor Pledges to Fight Sex Abuse Accusations

جوري
09-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Pastor Pledges to Fight Sex Abuse Accusations

Updated: 44 minutes ago

Print Text Size
Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

Errin Haines
AP
ATLANTA (Sept. 26) -- The famed pastor of a Georgia megachurch said Sunday that he will fight allegations that he lured young men into sexual relationships, stressing that he'd be back to lead the church the next week.

Addressing a New Birth Missionary Baptist Church sanctuary packed with thousands, Bishop Eddie Long declined to discuss specifics of lawsuits filed against him - or flatly deny the accusations. But he drew thunderous applause when he told his church that while he's not perfect, the picture painted by the allegations is far from accurate.

John Bazemore, AP
Pastor Eddie Long, here in 2009, has denied accusations that he pressured four young men into having sexual relationships with him.

"There have been allegations and attacks made on me. I have never in my life portrayed myself as a perfect man. But I am not the man that's being portrayed on the television. That's not me. That is not me," he said as applause interrupted him.

Long told the crowd that his lawyers had advised him not to "try this case in the media." While the remarks were short on details of the legal case, Bishop spoke at length about enduring painful situations.

"We are all subject to face distasteful and painful sitauations. Bishop Long, Eddie Long - you can put your name in that blank - will have some bad situations," he said. "The righteous face painful situations with a determined expectancy. We are not exempt from pain, but He promises to deliver us out of our pain."

Long is scheduled to speak again at a 10 a.m. news conference and 11 a.m. service.

About 100 people waited at the doors of the church more than an hour before the first service. Some held signs of support, while others prayed for their embattled leader. A small group sang the hymn "White as Snow" while outside.

Members in their seats clapped and swayed as the service began around 8 a.m., with several people with microphones singing on stage. Later in the service, hundreds began dancing and chanting, "Jesus, Jesus." A small group of young people held Apple iPads high over their heads, with the screens scrolling white letters against a black background reading, "It's time to praise him."

Long took the stage to loud applause from the crowd.

The lawsuits claim Long - who is an outspoken opponent of gay marriage - lured the four into sexual relationships with gifts including cars, cash and travel.

Long, a married father of four, previously denied the allegations through his lawyer but has not spoken publicly about them.

Over the past 20 years, Long became one of the most powerful independent church leaders in the country. He led New Birth as it grew from a suburban Atlanta congregation of 150 to a 25,000-member powerhouse with a $50 million cathedral and a roster of parishioners that includes athletes, entertainers and politicians.

Sponsored Links
He flashed his prosperity by wearing diamonds and platinum jewelry, while building strong political ties and a close relationship with the family of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. The 2006 funeral for King's widow, Coretta Scott King, was held at New Birth. Their daughter, the Rev. Bernice King, is also a pastor at Long's church.

Bernice King took the stage at the first of Sunday's services.

Three of the young men who filed lawsuits this week live in Georgia, while the other was a member of a satellite church in Charlotte, N.C., run by Long.

Two of the plaintiffs were once members of a youth program called the LongFellows Youth Academy, which teaches teenage boys lessons on financial discipline and sexual control. In their lawsuits, the men say Long used the program to groom them for sexual relationships and lured them into trysts with cars, jewelry and cash.

The other two plaintiffs make similar claims that Long served as a mentor, gave them gifts, then convinced them to engage in sexual acts.
Source

perversion is not just for priests anymore.. seems to plague all sorts of christian denominations, across the spectrum ...:hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tango92
09-26-2010, 02:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
Pastor Pledges to Fight Sex Abuse Accusations

perversion is not just for priests anymore.. seems to plague all sorts of christian denominations, across the spectrum ...:hmm:
salaam. lets not forget the followers aswell shall we?

Dagless
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I fear he is already at a disadvantage by having such a p*rnstar name. I wonder what will go through the jury's mind when the charges are stated, and the defendant introduced as "Bishop Long".

جوري
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
salaam. lets not forget the followers aswell shall we?
So it isn't a wonder why they fight so much for gay rights, even if they preach against it in their churches, you know what they are doing on the side..
another facet of hypocrisy, we can add to that laundry list..although admittedly my favorite is ''in islam does god love everybody'' well because Jesus loves you man but well he'll throw you in hell.. lol.. nice brand of love.?. I am sure those in hell would be comforted by that fact!

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DavidK565
09-26-2010, 03:25 PM

So it isn't a wonder why they fight so much for gay rights, even if they preach against it in their churches, you know what they are doing on the side..
another facet of hypocrisy, we can add to that laundry list..although admittedly my favorite is ''in islam does god love everybody'' well because Jesus loves you man but well he'll throw you in hell.. lol.. nice brand of love.?. I am sure those in hell would be comforted by that fact!

I find it amusing how obsessed you are about the whole "Does God Love Everybody?" thing. You've mentioned it in a series of your posts. I'm not saying that your assessment is necessarily wrong, but in all honestly, you don't have to worry about it so much. I mean, you're not a Christian, so you don't have to worry about any of the logistical paradoxes of someone else's religion. You can focus on the logistical paradoxes of Islam, if any.

جوري
09-26-2010, 03:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DavidK565
I find it amusing how obsessed you are about the whole "Does God Love Everybody?" thing. You've mentioned it in a series of your posts. I'm not saying that your assessment is necessarily wrong, but in all honestly, you don't have to worry about it so much. I mean, you're not a Christian, so you don't have to worry about any of the logistical paradoxes of someone else's religion. You can focus on the logistical paradoxes of Islam, if any.
You must have a rather dull life to be amused by other people's alleged 'obsessions'?!
in fact if you see the thread you mention, you'd have noted that the OP the one who started it is a Christian with one obvious intention, why should we disregard the so-called 'logistical paradoxes' when it is laid out on the table to make an obvious non-point- if there is something uncomfortable about your religion that you'd rather others ignore, then simply don't bring it up to begin with with desire to show that which obviously doesn't exist!
further the same crap does pop all over the web, our responses don't cater for you, if you are annoyed by it and surely you are given your all to frequent hiccups on the forum with your BB gun, then you can simply skip it and go to a forum with like-minded individuals where you can discuss all that love without question whilst discussing how the 'Islamic God' doesn't love everybody?..

funny guy!

DavidK565
09-26-2010, 03:45 PM

You must have a rather dull life to be amused by other people's alleged 'obsessions'?!
in fact if you see the thread you mention, you'd have noted that the OP the one who started it is a Christian with one obvious intention, why should we disregard the so-called 'logistical paradoxes' when it is laid out on the table to make an obvious non-point- if there is something uncomfortable about your religion that you'd rather others ignore, then simply don't bring it up to begin with with desire to show that which obviously doesn't exist!
further the same crap does pop all over the web, our responses don't cater for you, if you are annoyed by it and surely you are given your all to frequent hiccups on the forum with your BB gun, then you can simply skip it and go to a forum with like-minded individuals where you can discuss all that love without question whilst discussing how the 'Islamic God' doesn't love everybody?..

funny guy!
I wouldn't consider it to be a dull life. Rather, I think its important to enjoy as many things as possible, however small and insignificant. You know what else I find amusing? Your defensiveness and hostility. I didn't attack you just now... I was pointing out that you don't need to constantly attack Christians over the same crap time and time again. But being the person that you are, I know that you can't help yourself.

When I came here and started reading other people's posts, I was looking for answers to a question. But in addition to that, I was looking around, trying to see what the personalities of the people who come to this board are like. I'm still under the belief that the majority of people on this board are well-intentioned people, who are accepting of others and their beliefs; who don't take every opportunity to ridicule and attempt to point out their self-appointed superiority to others. But that certainly doesn't apply to you.

Now, maybe everyone will come to your defense, and I will have found the answer to another question. But that will be a sad day for me, I assure you.

جوري
09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DavidK565
I wouldn't consider it to be a dull life. Rather, I think its important to enjoy as many things as possible, however small and insignificant.
That is progress I am sure your therapist will applaud you for!

You know what else I find amusing? Your defensiveness and hostility. I didn't attack you just now... I was pointing out that you don't need to constantly attack Christians over the same crap time and time again. But being the person that you are, I know that you can't help yourself.
I have no idea what this means? firstly as you contradict yourself and secondly since you have no idea as to my state of mind or the person that I am!
When I came here and started reading other people's posts, I was looking for answers to a question. But in addition to that, I was looking around, trying to see what the personalities of the people who come to this board are like. I'm still under the belief that the majority of people on this board are well-intentioned people, who are accepting of others and their beliefs; who don't take every opportunity to ridicule and attempt to point out their self-appointed superiority to others. But that certainly doesn't apply to you.
I am touched by your assessment of others and myself, what would you like us to do with your acknowledgment?
Now, maybe everyone will come to your defense, and I will have found the answer to another question. But that will be a sad day for me, I assure you.
I believe everyday is a sad day for you indeed--be that as it may, most here know that I stand on my own grounds and don't need an entourage of yes men-- I believe Christians do though, considering how desperate they appear for validations .. projection? quite amusing from a self-proclaimed expert in human psychology!

Now, do you have something to add about the topic, or wish to meander it all over the place to purge yourself of your dislike of me? :shade:

all the best

sabr*
09-26-2010, 06:01 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Surah An Nahl 16:125

125. Invite (mankind, O Muhammad

) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.
(Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

Surah AnKabut 29:46

29:46 And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our Allah and your Allah is one; and it is to Him we bow (in Islam)." (Yusuf Ali Translation)

Follow the commands of Allah if you truly believe!

جوري
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
who are the people of the book? certainly the people of the book during the time of the prophet are no longer in existence today!
I have no desire to handle with kid gloves vulgar paganists who even if they don't insult me directly (which they do) certainly have plenty of bull to spew about Islam/The prophet/the Quran. etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!