/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Animal food

Amoeba
09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Assalam alaykum,

What is permissible?

I do know that we are allowed to eat herbivorous grazers such as ruminants. That's all I know for certain. Another eaten meat by muslims is chicken, which can be fed either on a whole grain/seed/pellet diet or, closer to their wild diet, grain, seed and various invertebrates such as worms and insects. So is it safe to assume that animals that partially eat invertebrates are ok to eat too? Or are the only halal chickens the ones that have been fed entirely on seed and grain?

What about duck, which will also eat invertebrates and occasionally fish, as well as water weeds?

As for seafood, my muslim friend told me that all seafood is halal for muslims to eat but I don't really believe him just now because you have the same things in the sea as on land. Some aquatic animals eat plants, some eat detritus, some eat mammal meat, fish meat, crustacean meat, etc. I asked him if it would be ok to eat a shark or a dolphin and that made him stop and think about what he said, lol! Because those are clearly aggressive exclusive predators of both mammals and fish. Some dolphins and whales kill other dolphins or whales, seals, penguins, or even sharks for meat, same goes for sharks. You still get the same effect of bioaccumulation in the food chain with sea animals as you get on land with land animals. That means that you get the similar health problems and risk of poisoning from eating carnivorous land animals as you do from eating carnivorous aquatic animals.

Anyone able to clarify this for me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
ok i looked this up but for lizard i read a hadith where the lizard was permissible to eat but Prophet (pbuh) did not like to eat it
Ibn 'Umar reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) was asked about the eating of (the flesh) of the lizard, whereupon he said: I am neither the eater of it nor its prohibitor.

any animal that is posionous or has fangs is haram to eat.
Abu Tha'laba al-Khushani reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) having prohibited the eating of all fanged beasts of prey. This hadith has been narrated through another chain of transmitters, but with a slight variation of words.

whales are ok to eat
Jabir b. 'Abdullah reported: Allah's Messenger (may peace he upon him) sent us (on an expedition). We were three hundred riders and our chief (leader) was 'Ubaida b. al-Jarrah. We were on the look out for a caravan of the Quraish. So we stayed on the coast for half a month, and were so much afflicted by extreme hunger that we (were obliged) to eat leaves. That is why it was called the Detachment of the Leaves. The ocean cast out for us an animal which was called al-'Anbar (whale). We ate of that for half of the month and rubbed its fat on our (bodies) until our bodies became stout. Abu 'Ubaida caught hold of one of its ribs and fixed that up. He then cast a glance at the tallest man of the army and the highest of the camels. and then made him ride over that, and that-tnan passed beneath it (the rib), and many a man could sit in its eye-socket, and we extracted many pitchers of fat from the cavity of its eye. We had small bags containing dates with us (before finding the whale). 'Ubaida gave every person amongst us a handful of dates (and when the provision ran short), he then gave each one of us one date. And when that (stock) was exhausted , we felt its loss.

Animals whose meat is Halal:

1) Camel

2) Goat

3) Sheep

4) Buffalo

5) Stag

6) Rabbit

7) Cow (including mountain cow)

8) Wild-ass (The prohibition in the Hadith is of domesticated donkeys)

9) Fish (of all types, including prawns according to those who consider prawns to be a form of fish. Others however, don’t permit its consumption, for they don’t consider prawns to be from the fish family. For details, see an earlier post).

10) Deer/Antelope/Gazelle

11) Duck

12) Heron (grey or white wading bird with long neck and long legs and (usually) long bill).

13) Nightingale

14) Quail

15) Parrot

16) Francolin

17) Locust

18) Partridge (heavy-bodied small-winged South American game bird)

19) Lark (North American yellow-breasted songbirds)

20) Sparrow

21) Goose

22) Ostrich

23) Dove

24) Pigeon

25) Stork

26) Rooster

27) Chicken

28) Peacock

29) Starling

30) Hoopoe (any of several crested Old World birds with a slender down-curving bill, known in Arabic as Hudhud- that was sent by Sayyiduna Suleyman (peace be upon him).

Animals whose meat is Haram:

1) Wolf

2) Hyena

3) Cat

4) Monkey

5) Scorpion

6) Leopard

7) Tiger

8) Cheetah

9) Lion

10) Jerboa

11) Bear

12) Swine/pig

13) Squirrel

14) Hedgehog

15) Snake

16) Tortoise/Turtle

17) Dog

18) Crab

19) Jackal

20) Donkey (domesticated)

21) Lizard (The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade the eating of a Lizard. Recorded by Imam Abu Dawud in his Sunan from Abd al-Rahman ibn Shibl (Allah be pleased with him). Hadith no: 3790)

22) Fox

23) Crocodile

24) Weasel

25) Elephant (Radd al-Muhtar, 6/306)

26) Falcon

27) Hawk

28) Kite

29) Bat

30) Vulture

31) Mouse

32) Rat

33) All insects, such as a Mosquito, Fly, Wasp, Spider, Beetle, etc.

And Allah knows best

Amoeba
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Wow, crab and insects are a no-go? I wouldn't have expected that. I always wanted to try various insects, such as crickets. So from that I guess locust is the only permissible insect? So, shellfish are also not permissible unless you regard them as actual fish (which I don't regard them as so). I'll have to tell my friend, he likes prawns but he knows they aren't fish.

Lol although starlings are permissible I wouldn't eat any of these British ones around here. They're forever raiding the bins. +o(

Are you sure whales are ok to eat? There is the account you provided of them being eaten but it wasn't said there whether they were right to do so or not. Also it was carrion, not slaughtered, which is generally forbidden. The only thing I can think of that would make carrion ok to eat is if it's the only means you have to stay alive (which going by the wording I can only assume this may have been the case).

S.Belle
10-01-2010, 03:29 PM
The permissibility of eating fish without the need of carrying out the Islamic method of slaughter is a special dispensation given to us by Allah Most High, the All-Wise and All-Knowing.

Fish has been exempted from the general ruling of the impermissibility of eating dead animals
“Lawful to you is the pursuit of water-game (fishing) and its use for food, for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” (Surah al-Ma’ida, V: 96)

Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him eternal peace) said: “Two types of dead meat and two types of blood have been made lawful for our consumption: The two dead meats are: fish and locust, and the two types of blood are: liver and spleen.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, Musnad Ahmad, 2/97 and Sunan Ibn Majah, no: 3314

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
taylorgwebb
12-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Be aware that there are differences of opinion on many of the halal meats. If you are considering something like prawns etc it is best to seek the advice of a scholar not an internet forum. Scholarly research is also a must when regarding meat of "the people of the book' etc.

أحمد
12-02-2010, 08:19 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by taylorgwebb
Be aware that there are differences of opinion on many of the halal meats. If you are considering something like prawns etc it is best to seek the advice of a scholar not an internet forum. Scholarly research is also a must when regarding meat of "the people of the book' etc.
Yes, there are differences in opinion; especially on the topic of insects, and a few "animals that live on both, land and water". The school of Malik bin Anas allows a greater food variety than the others, closely followed by Shaafi'ii and Hanbali school. The Hanafi school is more "strict" with food laws.

:wa:

Dagless
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Some also believe that everything in the ocean is halal, therefore things like crab etc. can be eaten.

جوري
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
30) Hoopoe (any of several crested Old World birds with a slender down-curving bill, known in Arabic as Hudhud- that was sent by Sayyiduna Suleyman (peace be upon him)

are you sure about this? In fact I have read the opposite.. we are not to eat a hoopoe and to be honest not sure who can stomach eating such a small bird?

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!