/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is my job halal?

Aishath
09-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Salaamu Alaikum,

I used to be a DJ on my university radio show and became the head of news as well for the show. This was before I knew music was haram. Now, I prepare and write the news scripts but don't actually present the show or listen to the music on it. I just write up the scripts. I don't get paid for any of this

However, before I knew music was haram, I made my CVs and mentioned that I was 'Head of news' of my radio show and handed it out. If i then get a job based on this CV would this be okay? the jobs I have applied for do not involve haram substances such as serving pork or alcohol etc. So the job would be halal in that sense but I'm just asking because of my CV.

Thank you for all your help in advance. May Allah bless all of you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
manaal
09-28-2010, 08:32 AM
:was: sister,

Masha Allah it is great that you are turning back to Islam and trying to know more about the religion you were born into. It truly is a beautiful religion.

from what you have said above, I don;t see why any job you do in the future would be haram if does not involve anything haram.Your past is your past, you cannot erase it. but that does not mean that your future will be tainted by your past sinful acts.

If you sincerely seek forgiveness from Allah and resolve never to repeat you past sinful acts, you will be fine Insha Allah (in this world and the next)

Aishath
11-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

I opened this thread a while ago but I was wondering if someone could please have a look at my CV for me. In the past I have had some jobs which are haram such as serving alcohol or playing music on a radio show. I now no longer work in the establishment where I had to serve alcohol and pork.

However, I now want to apply for a career in journalism and I have just completed my CV. Since I do not have a lot of work experience I included the previous jobs I had before. However, I took care to not mention anything haram when describing them. EG: at the bar job I used to have, I was part time waitress/part time bartender. I made sure I did not include anything about knowing how to serve alcohol since I do not want any credit for it. (However, I did have to serve pork as a waitress but I did not specify anything like that in the CV).

Also with the radio show I focused on how I edit the news shows and not about how music gets played on the station during other shows and etc. I've copy pasted the two job descriptions down below if anyone could have a look and comment, I would be very grateful.

Please bear in mind that at the time of me working there, I was not aware that these jobs were haram but upon finding out I stopped working there.

Waitress

· Assured food was delivered promptly to customers’ tables.
· Ensured high customer satisfaction at all times.
· Handled cash transactions.
· Maintaining good cleanliness within the establishment,

Head of News of student radio

· Organising and editing interviews throughout the week.
· Preparing the weekly show which broadcasts live every Friday.
· Working within the news team to report the top stories.

Hamza Asadullah
11-04-2010, 12:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Assalaamu alaykum,

I opened this thread a while ago but I was wondering if someone could please have a look at my CV for me. In the past I have had some jobs which are haram such as serving alcohol or playing music on a radio show. I now no longer work in the establishment where I had to serve alcohol and pork.

However, I now want to apply for a career in journalism and I have just completed my CV. Since I do not have a lot of work experience I included the previous jobs I had before. However, I took care to not mention anything haram when describing them. EG: at the bar job I used to have, I was part time waitress/part time bartender. I made sure I did not include anything about knowing how to serve alcohol since I do not want any credit for it. (However, I did have to serve pork as a waitress but I did not specify anything like that in the CV).

Also with the radio show I focused on how I edit the news shows and not about how music gets played on the station during other shows and etc. I've copy pasted the two job descriptions down below if anyone could have a look and comment, I would be very grateful.

Please bear in mind that at the time of me working there, I was not aware that these jobs were haram but upon finding out I stopped working there.

Waitress

· Assured food was delivered promptly to customers’ tables.
· Ensured high customer satisfaction at all times.
· Handled cash transactions.
· Maintaining good cleanliness within the establishment,

Head of News of student radio

· Organising and editing interviews throughout the week.
· Preparing the weekly show which broadcasts live every Friday.
· Working within the news team to report the top stories.
Asalaamu ALaikum, my sister as far as i know there is nothing wrong with stating which jobs one had in the past and what skills one gained from them. You have already repented from having any job that involved haraam and as long as you keep away from such jobs in the future then you will be safe inshallah. But you can mention them in your CV like how you have done.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
11-04-2010, 01:15 AM
What was your DJ name?

DJ Alien Aileen............thats a sick DJ name!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!