/* */

PDA

View Full Version : if humans evolved from monkeys...

Ummu Sufyaan
09-29-2010, 01:01 PM
:sl:
...why do scientists use rats in their laboratories to experiment and test medicines on?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Because Mr monkey will pull out a machine gun and shoot everybody in the laboratory....they cant mess around with his body and expect him to be fine with it....thats why they use rats because they're easier to manage

Muhaba
09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
maybe because they are easier to capture and are less costly and there are probably many more rats than monkeys but i don't knw the exact reason

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I dont know:exhausted

Maybe coz theyre *hint*geeky*hint*

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
I think it's because monkeys are precious and loved.

ardianto
09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Why rats ?

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-are-rats...al-testing.htm

CosmicPathos
09-29-2010, 07:28 PM
rats are used because they say amazing similarity to human genes. many proteins in humans and mice are very similar, more than 80% similarity i believe. so they used mice as a model organism. They could use monkeys, they actually do for SIV studies. But monkeys have longer gestational periods, take long time to grow etc. Mice have very short gestational periods so easier to see their progeny.

B_M
09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
rats are used because they say amazing similarity to human genes. many proteins in humans and mice are very similar, more than 80% similarity i believe. so they used mice as a model organism. They could use monkeys, they actually do for SIV studies. But monkeys have longer gestational periods, take long time to grow etc. Mice have very short gestational periods so easier to see their progeny.
Oh my God, we've must have evolved from rats. New theory...

:lol:

CosmicPathos
09-30-2010, 02:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by B_M
Oh my God, we've must have evolved from rats. New theory...

:lol:
well, evolutionarily, we are related to mice, not evolved from them. The various forms of animals from whom we evolved from are long dead ... extinct. Annihilated by Earth through earthquakes, ice ages, impacts from outer space. etc.

ardianto
09-30-2010, 12:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
well, evolutionarily, we are related to mice, not evolved from them. The various forms of animals from whom we evolved from are long dead ... extinct. Annihilated by Earth through earthquakes, ice ages, impacts from outer space. etc.
But why do they use mice, not black rats ?.

Ummu Sufyaan
09-30-2010, 01:34 PM
^ they do use rats...im pretty sure anyway.

aamirsaab
09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Actually, no evolutionist claims we evolved from monkeys. Rather, second cousins (or some such) of monkeys.

It's not just rats used in experiments. Some even use monkeys/chimps, some use dogs etc.

Not that I condone such behaviour.

CosmicPathos
09-30-2010, 05:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
i think rats are used as well. but it seems small white cuddly mice are easier to deal with in the storage room etc than big fat ugly black rats.

tango92
09-30-2010, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
racism :nervous:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
09-30-2010, 08:56 PM
^ LOL at the Signature :-\

Ezekiel_B
10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Hmm... your first mistake: actually, humans did NOT evolve from monkeys at all. There is a quite some difference between monkeys and apes. No evolutionist has ever said that we evolved FROM apes, either. However, there is sufficient evidence to show that mankind is just another breed of ape. That is why we share such a large percentage of our genes with chimpanzees. In order to understand evolution, one must first learn the distinction between the species we are talking about.

To answer your original question, scientists have done plenty of experiments on chimpanzees (which is probably what you meant when you said 'monkey') and I shouldn't doubt, some breeds of monkey too. It all depends on the type of experiment and it's purpose.

The reason most experiments, you hear about, are done on rats - is because of certain biological and physiological similarities. For a start - the layout of the organs in a rat is very similar in appearance, to that of the human. Also, I suppose rats are far cheaper and easier to breed than chimps and since chimps are now a protected species... well, I think it all stands to reason.

islamaholicâ„¢
10-08-2010, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
:sl:
...why do scientists use rats in their laboratories to experiment and test medicines on?
:wa:

because nobody likes rats, or atleast i don't, so the more you get rid, of the better.

Trumble
10-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Actually the reason is much simpler. Once all the research labs became 'non-smoking environments' they couldn't find any chimps who wanted to work there any more.

islamaholicâ„¢
10-08-2010, 04:22 PM
that's ridiculous, so you're claiming all mice have quit smoking?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!