PDA

View Full Version : Define happiness & prospertiy



Insecured soul
10-01-2010, 01:00 AM
:sl:

So what is happiness and prosperity for you? how do you see it from your eyes?

I often try to analyze and check if im happy and prosperous and i dont really know

sometimes i dont even know what happiness means?

i have a good job alhamdolillah but its what we only need? do we ever stop wanting "things and stuff" or it never ends?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sabr*
10-01-2010, 01:12 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Insecured soul:

Surah An Najm 53:43

43. And that it is He (Allah) Who makes (whom He wills) laugh, and makes (whom He wills) weep;
(Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

the following link should provide an answer if you read through the thread. Insha Allah

http://www.islamicboard.com/puzzles-...you-happy.html
Reply

Woodrow
10-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by Insecured soul
:sl:



i have a good job alhamdolillah but its what we only need? do we ever stop wanting "things and stuff" or it never ends?
:sl:

As strange as it sounds the getting of these things we think we want often cause our unhappiness. Once we discover that having material good is not a source of happiness, that desire fades. We can never own anything. the truth is we can only be a temporary caretaker and that is not for very long. A big source of pain is to possess more than what we need. Each item we have in excess reduces the enjoyment of what we already have.
Reply

gladTidings
10-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I agree with woodrow. I have learnt quite quickly that merely possessing material things is not a source of inner happiness. Justice, honesty and righteousness makes me happy =)
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
M.I.A.
10-01-2010, 09:20 PM
a nice job and a nice car lol
unfortunately im such a twisted individual that both of these are out of my grasp. my only aspiration and my only sadness.

i pray that it does not make me blind to the things allah swt has given me.
Reply

Alpha Dude
10-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

Happiness to me would be to see myself first and all those around me behaving as true Muslims. Us all being anti-materialistic, deeply spiritual, patient, followers of the sunnah, fearing Allah and abiding by the Islamic law as genuinely and sincerely as possible.
Reply

ChargerCarl
10-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Since I am a student of economics I define happiness as utility and prosperity as GDP ;D
Reply

Insecured soul
10-02-2010, 05:00 PM
I dont know i often find myself lonely, life seems very repetitive and monotonous, may be its the problem with everyone i guess but alhamdolillah for everything
Reply

aadil77
10-02-2010, 05:24 PM
happiness in this dunya is always temporary - usually through: materialistic things, having fun with friends/family, doing good deeds etc

being prosperous to me is living a good islamic lifestyle - no debts, decent halal income

in this dunya we'll never find lasting happiness, Alhamdulillah that is only reserved for the akhira - otherwise we would become attached to this world


Edit: We find that non-muslims (especially those who hold no concept of afterlife) will search desperately for happiness, through the use of drugs, alcohol, women, money, big houses, fancy cars and even faith. They don't understand that there is no lasting happiness here on earth, that there is a afterlife for that, some of them will commit suicide because of no hope for the future.
Reply

Insecured soul
10-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by aadil77
happiness in this dunya is always temporary - usually through: materialistic things, having fun with friends/family, doing good deeds etc

being prosperous to me is living a good islamic lifestyle - no debts, decent halal income

in this dunya we'll never find lasting happiness, Alhamdulillah that is only reserved for the akhira - otherwise we would become attached to this world


Edit: We find that non-muslims (especially those who hold no concept of afterlife) will search desperately for happiness, through the use of drugs, alcohol, women, money, big houses, fancy cars and even faith. They don't understand that there is no lasting happiness here on earth, that there is a afterlife for that, some of them will commit suicide because of no hope for the future.
Very well said brother aadil

Its what i make dua for to give me aafia in whatever i have and not to be materialistic.
Reply

Insecured soul
10-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
As strange as it sounds the getting of these things we think we want often cause our unhappiness. Once we discover that having material good is not a source of happiness, that desire fades. We can never own anything. the truth is we can only be a temporary caretaker and that is not for very long. A big source of pain is to possess more than what we need. Each item we have in excess reduces the enjoyment of what we already have.
Il keep that in mind chacha woodrow :)
Reply

Amoeba
10-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Happiness, happiness...

I dunno about prosperity but I have an odd twisted view of happiness.

Happiness to me is being in the most receptive state of mind for embracing the teachings of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala), which is a rare occurrence for me because I'm so foggy-brained most of the time. The feeling is probably familiar to the forum members here like being unshakable and being totally grounded and clear-headed and most awake, and for a little while never wanting to look back to your little temptations and distractions, but as aadil77 said the happiness is temporary (as in over in about 3 seconds flat for me). There's the crash and then you end up going back to whatever it was you were doing....

That's why meditation sounds very useful for learning to focus. I think much of the problem is having an abysmal attention span.

Happiness is also a distant memory of something I can't quite describe. Something not even real. A year ago I was going through a period of distress because I was having a lot of childhood memories that I didn't even know I had coming out. Many of the memories I was certain could not be real (of course they were not real). But some of them were about recalling a time and place before I was even born (I thought maybe memories from the womb, or a memory that my brain made-up) where nothing is as it is here out in the world (not even the very fabric of reality). I can't really even describe it, even the memory of it has faded from when I recalled it a year ago. All I remember is that it's the closest thing to real happiness I've ever felt (thus the distress of wanting to go back there, finding life here too difficult). It was like the "home" I had been yearning for, if that makes any sense. Like everything about that place felt so natural, and everything here was just so dark and messed up in comparison.
Reply

PouringRain
10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Happiness is an inner state of contentment in all things.

Prosperity is to succeed and flourish in all that you do. It is the act of doing that is of importance, and not the result achieved. To put your best into all things, regardless of the final outcome. If you have done that, then you have succeeded.
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Awesome thread and i agree with brother Woodrow

Happiness for me is when ive done something Allaah commanded me to do, so it makes me realise that what i did pleased Allaah so thats happiness for me. If i have done something wrong and i realise that it is wrong then ofcourse that displeases me. Happiness should involve what pleases Allaah.

To love something of the dunya makes you stick to it almost like a magnet or some super strong glue and it can be hard to let go as shaytaan is helping to make it worse, but i have Allaah SWT to ask for help and ask him to make it easier for me. so i feel blessed to have the ability to be able to ask, anyway i dunno if what i said relates to this thread :-\

Anyway hope i helped Insha`Allaah

Peace
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!