/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sounds from space

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Okay, so musical instruments are haraam.

These sounds from space are not actual audible sound within human range, rather they're electromagnetic waves that have been converted into audible sound using instruments, not musical instruments, but still instruments, so that we can hear them.

But I don't know if they count as music? Obviously not on their own. But if you interpret them as music when you hear them, and have a desire to listen to them, does that make them music and thus does this make them wrong to listen to for enjoyment? I just want to make sure before doing anything wrongful.

If you want to hear them they're on youtube, just search up something like sounds in space or sounds of planets.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdussattar
10-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Hmm i've never heard or read about sounds from space.. do you have any article about them?

abdussattar
10-02-2010, 10:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
hear them they're on youtube
Well here;s what I got, But most of it seems to be dubbed, and the sound seems to be added from an external source..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUshh...eature=related

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah the sounds aren't as they would be in nature, they are edited by instruments to make them audible to us. In nature they're not audible sound at all but something like electromagnetic waves and radio waves...? Much like how a radio transceiver converts radio waves into sound.

This is my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZYFa...eature=related

Before I discovered these I had this epic dream, long story short at the end of the dream there were planets in the sky making musical sounds, very much like these sounds except they were much more rumbly and deep causing my chest to vibrate. Very eerie. When I found these videos I was like WOW!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdussattar
10-02-2010, 11:27 AM
There's no air in space. Therefore, no sound. Simple as that...

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 12:09 PM
And that's why, as I said, they're not sounds made in space, rather they're the result of electromagnetic and radio emissions from planets being decoded by a "tranceiver".

Just like how our radio transmissions can be carried through space, even though they're not being carried on sound, they're being carried on radio waves that can be decoded into sound by a device.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
They actually sound weird and scary :-\

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 06:40 PM
So does anyone know if they fall under music?

I guess to each their own, I could listen to them all day.

Cabdullahi
10-02-2010, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
They actually sound weird and scary :-\
The aliens are going to get you..im joking

to be honest thats not really music...i mean its not going to make someone to boogie...it sounds like wind noise

if it puts you in a trance like state and diverts your attention from focusing on worshiping Allah alone then its haram

the noises are not man made its from nature....so its aight

hope that helps insha'Allah

Amoeba
10-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I do feel kind of focused on them. I keep being reminded of that dream I had.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
The aliens are going to get you..im joking

to be honest thats not really music...i mean its not going to make someone to boogie...it sounds like wind noise

if it puts you in a trance like state and diverts your attention from focusing on worshiping Allah alone then its haram

the noises are not man made its from nature....so its aight

hope that helps insha'Allah
I agree with the brother, if it makes you forget about the remembrance of Allaah, then indeed stay away from it. But i dont see why it would, its just a scary geeky sound :-\

Aliens are geeky :-\

Cabdullahi
10-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I do feel kind of focused on them. I keep being reminded of that dream I had.
if you sit there and listen to these sounds for hours on end then that's not good...but you can listen to these sounds and reflect on how vast and big the universe is and how the creator of this universe is so mighty and beautiful.

abdussattar
10-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Well..*cough* I was wrong

Amoeba
10-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Thank you everyone I think it's clear now that I shouldn't listen to them.

Dagless
10-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Thank you everyone I think it's clear now that I shouldn't listen to them.
I don't know the answer to your question but it might help to think about this:

Do people stop themselves from listening to a running stream because it comforts them?
Does music have to have a beat?
Would you stop listening to people talking if you found it melodious (there have been some very weird releases where it is people talking - but then would you also stop listening to lectures)?

Since music is so subjective it maybe difficult to draw the line. Dropping a garbage can might be one man's mistake, but another's symphony.

Amoeba
10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I think it very much depends on the individual.

I wouldn't stop listening to the birds singing, for example, even though I find it musical. But as abdussattar mentioned intentions matter, I'd listen fondly to bird song walking down the lane but I wouldn't exactly take recordings and bring them home and start playing them off the computer (I don't have a music radio tape cd player thingy). But I would happily listen to recordings of other things. The saturn sound for example, I woke up with it in my head because I must have been dreaming about it, probably signifying I've been listening to it too much. I've developed a fondness for such sounds to the extent that when I close my eyes I see planets and stars.

So my intention when listening to it has been for the purpose of immersion in music, a synthetic sound I might add because it is radio waves that have been converted into a sound we can hear, we can't hear raw radio waves. The sounds affect my mood (one of the good reasons why music is warned against). That's why I've come to conclude I should cease listening to the for enjoyment.

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Intentions matter... if you listen them to get pleasure, you might be listening to "music"
What if you listen to it just to relieve yourself from stress?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-04-2010, 09:39 AM
^Then listen to the beautiful recitations of Allaah allmightys word the Quraan, and that is best for you!

"And when the Qur'an is recited, give ear to it and pay heed, that ye may obtain mercy" Al-Quraan

Amoeba
10-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Well the way I see it is if you do something right for the right intention, it's a right. If you do something right for the wrong intention, it's a wrong (against yourself). If you do something wrong for the wrong intention then it's a wrong and if you do something wrong even with the right intention, it is still a wrong because it's been prohibited for a good reason, because Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) knows what's best for us.

Random pointless edit: I can't focus on my homework. >.<

Ramadhan
10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
And that's why, as I said, they're not sounds made in space, rather they're the result of electromagnetic and radio emissions from planets being decoded by a "tranceiver".
Planets create electromagnetic and radio emissions?

Are you sure about that?

I know that some astronomers/musicians created some music using radio from pulsar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar
but never heard any planet could emit radio, unless it's planet earth where the radio are transmitted by human

Amoeba
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Background radiation is everywhere and it can be affected by the environment. Very big planets like Jupiter can emit radio waves. Smaller planets and moons are more likely to reflect them rather than emit them. I was listening to a few clips from a website recently (of sounds from Earth) and the description was that the sounds (in that particular video sample) were coming from electrons travelling along the contours of Earth's magnetic field. Another source of the sound in the videos is the effect of the solar winds buffeting the planet's electromagnetic field.

So it's not only radio waves, but also electrons and other waves and particles. I just used the radio example to help describe that it wasn't sound being picked up but other kinds of energy and particles instead that were being converted into sound, the most familiar example of that is a radio setup.

Cabdullahi
10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Planets create electromagnetic and radio emissions?

Are you sure about that?

I know that some astronomers/musicians created some music using radio from pulsar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar
but never heard any planet could emit radio, unless it's planet earth where the radio are transmitted by human
What do you know..you can't test ameoba..she came from planet krypton in a little baby basket she misses the sounds of her old planet thats why she listens to it on youtube from time to time

Amoeba
10-04-2010, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
What do you know..you can't test ameoba..she came from planet krypton in a little baby basket she misses the sounds of her old planet thats why she listens to it on youtube from time to time
Dude... what have you been smoking, lol... I kid I kid.

Cabdullahi
10-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Dude... what have you been smoking, lol... I kid I kid.
Aye! i dont smoke!

so...do you think we can get 'play-station 15' delivered to us from your old planet

Amoeba
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
No, really, now I'm just confused. :hmm: Is this joke a reference to a movie or something?

Asiyah3
10-04-2010, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Music= pleasing sound.

So even if you like the sound of cars horning, it might come under music FOR YOU, while not for anyone else.

Intentions matter... if you listen them to get pleasure, you might be listening to "music"

Allah Alim
:sl:

According to my knowledge, in Islamic terms music does not mean a pleasing sound. What is forbidden is musical instruments. According to your definition even a Nasheed or anything non-Musical beautiful sounding would be haraam, which is not in itself.

Intentions do not make a haraam halaal.

Amat Allah
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Runaway

According to my knowledge, in Islamic terms music does not mean a pleasing sound. What is forbidden is musical instruments. According to your definition even a Nasheed or anything non-Musical beautiful sounding would be haraam, which is not in itself.

Intentions do not make a haraam halaal.
well done my sweet heart...

I listen to rain thunder and whale sounds ( does that mean I am commiting a sin ?)

music is haram and even lawful things make you fall in haram when letting you forget Allah`s rememberance and take you away from Qur`aan , Sunnah and the deen ... read in Qur`aan and Sunnah and in shaa allah you will understand what I meant....

Asiyah3
10-04-2010, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amat Allah
well done my sweet heart...

I listen to rain thunder and whale sounds ( does that mean I am commiting a sin ?)

music is haram and even lawful things make you fall in haram when letting you forget Allah`s rememberance and take you away from Qur`aan , Sunnah and the deen ... read in Qur`aan and Sunnah and in shaa allah you will understand what I meant....
Jazakiallah for the reminder.

Brasco
10-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Okay, so musical instruments are haraam.

These sounds from space are not actual audible sound within human range, rather they're electromagnetic waves that have been converted into audible sound using instruments, not musical instruments, but still instruments, so that we can hear them.

But I don't know if they count as music? Obviously not on their own. But if you interpret them as music when you hear them, and have a desire to listen to them, does that make them music and thus does this make them wrong to listen to for enjoyment? I just want to make sure before doing anything wrongful.

If you want to hear them they're on youtube, just search up something like sounds in space or sounds of planets.
:بسم الله والحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله وعلى آله وصحبه, السلام عليكم ورحمة الله أما بعد

Does this benefit you? Does this draw you closer to Allah ta'ala? Time is very precious. Allah ta'ala swears by the time “By the time" and the Prophet - صلى الله عليه و سلم - said: “Make the most of five things before five others: life before death, health before sickness, free time before becoming busy, youth before old age, and wealth before poverty.” and he - صلى الله عليه و سلم - said either: “There are two blessings which many people do not make the most of and thus lose out: good health and free time.”

So do something that will insha'Allah benefit you.

And Allah ta'ala knows best.

CosmicPathos
10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by мυѕℓιмαн 4 ℓιfє
^Then listen to the beautiful recitations of Allaah allmightys word the Quraan, and that is best for you!

"And when the Qur'an is recited, give ear to it and pay heed, that ye may obtain mercy" Al-Quraan
Ok this is not a good argument.

Imagine this scenario. A husband wants to sleep with his wife. But she does not. So he tells her that he really wants to relax and have fun that night from his busy schedule. So she tells him to go listen to the 'words of Allah' for fun and relaxation. I mean what you said sounded awfully like that.

But yes, music produced by stringed musical instruments is considered haraam by most orthodox madaahib of Islam. some orthodox madaahib permit it.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
^ No akhee thats a totally different argument! and it wasnt meant to be an argument :-\

Subhaan`Allaah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!