/* */

PDA

View Full Version : touch screens

Ummu Sufyaan
10-02-2010, 10:48 AM
:sl:
how do they work? like the ones you may find in department stores that have those self serve checkouts (which will have a touchscreen)... how does the touch screen actually work? is it the weight of the persons finger or the mere contact with the skins surface?

this is for something important btw :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ghost
10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Do you not have access to google?

abdussattar
10-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Check these out

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question716.htm

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ipod-touch2.htm

:)

Ummu Sufyaan
10-02-2010, 11:50 AM
i tried, but it made no sense to me :hmm:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
abdussattar
10-02-2010, 01:16 PM
How come...?

Cabdullahi
10-02-2010, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
:sl:
how do they work? like the ones you may find in department stores that have those self serve checkouts (which will have a touchscreen)... how does the touch screen actually work? is it the weight of the persons finger or the mere contact with the skins surface?

this is for something important btw :hmm:
sister there are two types of touchscreens

A capacitive screen and a resistive screen

the resistive screen relies on pressure....so it only works when you push your finger on it to register an input hence the name 'resistive', it has two layers which are close to each other so when you press hard enough on the surface of the first layer it will touch the second layer which is electronic,...and so the electronic layer will activate things for example if you touched 'web browser' on the screen the second layer is responsible for making the phone/microprocessor know that it needs to open 'web browser'...its like getting a plastic bag and putting it on top of your house telephone when you press the plastic bag hard enough you can dial the numbers....the resistive screen concept is similar to this ( crap example :( ) .

the capacitive screen is very different from the resistive one because it uses glass that is covered with a thin conductive layer which is heat sensitive so when you brush your finger across the screen it senses the warmth of your finger...it then says to the phone/microprocessor a warm finger touched me and this is the certain application they want to view .....so you dont have to press hard like the resistive screen

which is better...the capacitive is more durable its made from glass and its more accurate..compared to the resistive one which you have to press hard all day just to register an input.

I hope that helps....i've taken out time to write this up...i might be wrong in some areas but someone else will correct me insha'Allah

if you are buying a mobile phone try to buy one that has a capacitive screen like the iphone or the HTC hero..but if you can't afford it buy the cheaper resistive screen...i've got a resistive one and Alhamdulilah it does the job

I've just received a fresh infraction from the mods and i've just realized that i have accumulated 9 infractions in total....and so its high time i cut out the crap and actually be useful to others

~Raindrop~
10-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Our monitor is touch screen. it's cool, but can be very annoying when you see a little hand sneaking up behind you and touching the x button just so the owner of that hand can play games because they've now closed what you were doing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!