/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it halal to stay in the USA?

greenshirt
10-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Is it halal for a revert to stay in the United States for educational or career purposes or is it obligatory that they make hijrah to Muslim lands?

Also is it haraam that I attend an American University? (mixed, teachings may be disagreement with Islam.)

Lastly is it haraam for me to be friends with non-Muslims? I know we can be friends with the Christians and Yahood but what about the Buddhists and Hindus? I have heard that it is haraam to take them as friends because they are idol worshippers. But if this is the case than Catholics would be just as guilty!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
10-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

To those who have already answered and to others in general: Please refrain from giving out guidance based on opinion. If you are unsure, it is better for you to admit that you do not know rather than conjuring up a statement based on ignorance and misleading those who are sincerely asking for the most correct guidance. If you "think" you know something, then look it up just to make sure, it'll convince you and teach you better and bring you out of uncertainty. Jazakum Allahu khair..sorry for this being off-topic but this is very common amongst those who are eager to help, which is great mashallah, you just have to do it wisely bi'dhnillah.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

anatolian
10-08-2010, 04:42 PM
If living as a muslim in the non-muslim land is impossible you are supposed to leave there. Go to a place where you can live your religion.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-08-2010, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenshirt
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Is it halal for a revert to stay in the United States for educational or career purposes or is it obligatory that they make hijrah to Muslim lands?
:w:

Quoting from a recent set of posts made by Imam Suhaib Webb on his Facebook page:

Aisha said, "There is no migration today. The believers used flee to Allah and His messenger, fearing that they would suffer trials in their faith. Today, however, Allah has made islam prevalent and the believers worship their Lord as they like (with not obstacles.)"

Sh. Abdul Aziz al-Ghumayri, commenting on this adds,
"Because of this the scholars said, 'Migration" (is obligatory) if one fears of trials in his religion. But if one is able to worship Allah, the Most High, no matter where he is, migration is not an obligation.' In fact, some of the scholars said, 'If he is able to worship Allah, even in the lands of the disbelievers, then the land he/she lives in becomes his dar al-Islam and living there becomes better for him/her because his/her presence may be a means for the faith of Islam to enter the lives of others.' In fact, him/her living their is the correct opinion because of its impact on what benefits Islam and Muslims."
Sheikh al-Ghumayri continues,
"We take this position for two reasons:

1. By living amongst the non-Muslims the greatest objective of Shariah is accomplished (the spread of Islam and the opportunity for others to learn about Islam)
2. Muslims residing there; worshiping Allah and practicing their faith without fear of danger, designates that land as a land of Islam. If they migrate from it, it will lose that designation; be designated as a land of war. For this reason, scholars of Islam wrote, "In such a case, it is obligatory for a Muslim, in such a condition, the stay put; not to migrate.
"
‎The sheikh of Islam of the Shafi madhab, Ibn Hajar al-Haythami in his fatwa, number 203 wrote, answering a question about the hadith, "I am free of any Muslim who resides amongst the polytheists,' 'Perhaps you will stay that the opinion of the scholars that allows one who is safe to reside amongst them this hadith?
The response is that it doesn't because they conditioned it with him/her being able to practice his/her faith freely. If he/she is able to do that, then there is a [maslaha] benefit for the Muslims which is better than him/her leaving. They allow this, because if he/she (Muslims) leave that land, its designation becomes that of the land of war. Thus, in such a situation, it is an obligation for him/her to stay there.'

And this is the reality of this situation for one who ponders and thinks upon the relevant text that discuss this issue.
‎Ibn Taymmiya wrote, after talking about the obligatory nature of Hijra, 'Migrating from the lands of disbelief to the lands of Islam is the migration of one who resides amongst them and does not have the ability to perform what Allah has ordered.' [al-Fatwa vol. 28/204]

Sheikh al-Gumayri commenting on this adds, "What is understood (from Ibn Taymiyya's words) is that as long as one is able to practice what Allah has ordered, then migration is not an obligation."

See pg. 14 "Residing amongst the non-Muslims and its obligation from time to time."

Imam Mawardi ash Shafi (r) said:
"If he acquires family and relatives, and it is possible for him to perform his deen openly then it is not permissible for him to emigrate, since the place in which he is has become for him an abode of Islam."
Narrated by way of Imam an Nawawi (r) from his commentary of the 40 hadith, commenting on the hadith of intention
Also is it haraam that I attend an American University? (mixed, teachings may be disagreement with Islam.)

Lastly is it haraam for me to be friends with non-Muslims? I know we can be friends with the Christians and Yahood but what about the Buddhists and Hindus? I have heard that it is haraam to take them as friends because they are idol worshippers. But if this is the case than Catholics would be just as guilty!
The answer to both is no. Please watch the following videos for answers to all your questions,

http://vimeo.com/11399221
http://vimeo.com/11257397
http://vimeo.com/11314662
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptvWCd3tIMQ

As Muslims we need to stop having an isolationist mentality where we try to understand and analyze our situations in black and white terms. We need to understand our reality as citizens of our society and in terms of how we can be completely Muslim by religion and completely American (or British, whereever you live) by culture. How do you ever expect to make a positive change in society if you don't go to a university? How do you ever expect to help solve the problems in your community if you refuse the means to become qualified to do so?! Dr. Tariq Ramadan has an excellent short talk on this which I hope you'll watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6sxhmrSkVQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OvPnFdQZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMwYLApcxII

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
benign
10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Never thought of that before... but it was definitely an interesting topic.

salapuddin35
11-05-2010, 02:40 PM
well said Muraad!

Adem Al-Albani
11-06-2010, 11:32 AM
What is the ruling on those who become Muslim in kaafir countries? Are they included in the hadeeth, “I have nothing to do with any Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen”? And does he have to migrate (hijrah)?.

Praise be to Allaah.

If a person becomes a Muslim in a kaafir land and he is not able to practise his religion openly and establish regular worship, or he fears for himself tribulation regarding his religious commitment, and he cannot protect his honour, then he is obliged to migrate, because the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “I have nothing to do with any Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen. But if he is able to practise his religion openly and establish regular worship, and he is able to migrate, then it is mustahabb for him to migrate, but in this case it is not obligatory.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni: It is mustahabb for him (to migrate) so that he will be able to wage jihad against them – i.e., the kuffaar – and he will increase the numbers of the Muslims and support them. End quote.

But if he is able to practise his religion openly, and he is safe from fitnah (tribulation, temptation), and he can call people to Allaah and teach the Muslims about their religion, then he may stay and not migrate, because his staying there serves an interest. When Maalik ibn al-Huwayrith (may Allaah be pleased with him) and his companions came to the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and stayed with him, when the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) noticed that they were missing their families, he told them to go back and to teach their people, and he said: “Go back to your families and teach them.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 6008; Muslim, 674.

Al-Bukhaari (1452) and Muslim (1865) narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri that a Bedouin asked the Messenger of Allaah SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about migration (hijrah) and he said: “Woe to you! Migration is very important. Do you have any camels?” He said: “Yes.” He said: “Do you pay zakaah on them?” He said: “Yes.” He said: “(Even) if you are in the remotest region, Allaah will not cause any of your deeds to be lost.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

“Allaah will not cause any of your deeds to be lost” means: He will never allow the reward for any of your deeds to be lost, no matter where you are.

The scholars said that what is meant by the migration (hijrah) which this Bedouin asked about is staying close to Madeenah with the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and forsaking one’s family and homeland. The Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) feared that he would not be able to bear that, and he would not fulfil his rights towards them, and that he would turn back (from Islam), so he said to him: This migration that you asked about is very important, but do good in your own land, and wherever you are it will benefit you, and Allaah will not allow anything of it to be lost.

So migration depends on whether one is able to practise Islam openly and worship openly. If a person cannot do that and he fears fitnah (tribulation), then he must migrate; if he is able to practise Islam openly but he is able to migrate, then migration is mustahabb (recommended); if he is able to practise Islam openly and he engages in da’wah and teaches the Muslims, then he may stay. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah help us all to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

I have the link to the source as well as another longer more descriptive answer, but since my post count is low in number, I can't post any links. Hit me up in PM if you would like them inshaaAllah.

Adem Al-Albani
11-06-2010, 11:38 AM
And for your second question,

I am a young man who is religiously committed. I am studying in a mixed university and I would like to develop my specialty further, but that requires me to interact in class, which will open channels of communication between me and other students. In addition to that there are female teachers who teach us very important subjects. How should I interact with the female students and teachers?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Studying in mixed schools, institutes and universities is not permitted. The evils that exist in these institutions because of that mixing are no secret, let alone the fact that people do not learn much, if anything, in these institutions. Wise people even in kaafir countries have called for segregation between the sexes in educational institutions because of the moral damage they have noticed and the weakening of educational standards. Trustworthy have scholars have issued fatwas stating that this kind of education is not permissible.

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

It is haraam for male and female students and teachers to mix in educational institutions, because of the fitnah and provocation of desires and immoral conduct that results from that. The gravity of the sin is compounded if the female teachers and students uncover any part of their ‘awrahs or wear see-through or tight clothing, or if the students or teachers flirt or joke together, which may lead to transgression of limits and violation of honour.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/102, 103

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked:

Is it permissible for a man to study in a mixed university where men and women mix in one classroom, knowing that the student has a role to play in calling people to Allaah?

He replied:

What I think is that it is not permissible for anyone, man or woman, to study in a mixed school, because of the grave danger that it poses to his chastity, integrity and morals. No matter how great a person’s integrity, morals and innocence, if a woman is sitting beside him on the seat – especially if she is beautiful and unveiled – he can hardly avoid fitnah and evil. Everything that leads to fitnah and evil is also haraam and is not permitted. We ask Allaah to keep our Muslim brothers safe from such things which will only bring evil, fitnah and corruption to their youth. If there is no other university apart from this one, he should go and study in another city or country where this mixing does not happen. I do not think that this is permissible but others may have a different opinion.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/103

In this case, there is no option, and the need is great, and when the need is great, the matter may come under the heading of necessity. This necessity may be taken into consideration, provided that the following conditions are met:

1- That there be no other place where he can study, even if it is in another country

2- That he cannot obtain this certificate by means of distance learning or studying via the internet, for example

3- That he goes to study in these mixed places seeking the help of Allaah to confront fitnah.

He should take care to lower his gaze as much as he can and not touch or shake hands with non-mahram women or be alone with them, and he should not sit right next to them.

He should advise the girls to sit away from the boys and adhere to other Islamic guidelines as well.

4- If he notices himself slipping towards haraam things and being tempted by those of the opposite sex who are with him, then the soundness of his religious commitment is more important than any worldly aims, so he has to leave the place immediately and Allaah will make him independent of means by His bounty. And Allaah is the One Whose help we seek.

And Allaah knows best.

Again, I have the links inshaaAllah.

Adem Al-Albani
11-06-2010, 11:42 AM
And lastly, for your third question,

I'm a muslim who has quite alot of Christian friends, both male and female. There is 1 friend in particular who I'm really good friends with and recently I discovered that they were gay. I don't want to treat them differently because of this but I would like to know if it is haraam to have a gay friend?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The Muslim must strive to find good friends who will help him to do good, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The likeness of a righteous companion and an evil companion is that of one who carries musk and one who works a bellows. With the one who carries musk, either he will give you some or you will buy from him or you will notice a pleasant fragrance from him. With the one who work a bellows, either he will burn your clothes or you will notice a foul odour from him.”

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5534; Muslim, 2628, from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari, may Allaah be pleased with him).

It is not permissible for a Muslim to make (close) friends with Christians or other kaafirs. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust)”

[al-Maa’idah 5:51]

“O you who believe! Take not as (your) Bitaanah (advisors, consultants, protectors, helpers, friends) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We have made plain to you the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses) if you understand”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:118]

al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

This is a warning from Allaah to His slaves not to make (close) friends with the kuffaar and take them as close confidantes or best friends.

Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 198

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “You should not make friends with anyone but a believer and no one should eat your food but one who is pious.”

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4832; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 4045

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A man will follow the religion of his close friend, so let each of you look to who he takes a close friend.”

Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 2378; classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi, 1937

So stop keeping company with Christians and replace them with Muslim friends, and try to make friends with righteous people.

You should note that it is not permissible for a man to keep company with females or with homosexuals, whether they are Muslims or Christians, because of the fitnah (temptation) involved in that, and because it also involves things that are forbidden in sharee’ah, such as being alone with them, shaking hands with them and things that are more serious than that. I ask Allaah to protect us all from fitnah.

Also, here is this Fatwa,

If you had non-muslim friends before you became muslim, can you remain friends with them? or do you befriend only muslims?

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen, may Allaah preserve him, who answered as follows:

He does not have to (cut off ties with his non-Muslim friends), so long as they are not causing him any harm. But he can withdraw from them gradually. He should tell them about Islam, because if they see that he has become Muslim, they may become Muslim too. And Allaah knows best.

Again, I have the links. InshaaAllah

IAmZamzam
11-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Piety can be practiced in any land. There is no "kafir country", at least since the small, town-like civilizations who rejected very local prophets. Nowadays countries in the modern sense consists of hundreds of millions of people (America does, anyway), and to judge them as a whole is the very definition of a prejudiced, ethnocentric blanket statement. There is no such thing as an "American" or a "Saudi" or an "Egyptian", only individuals who happen to be living between certain imaginary geographic boundaries abitrarily and semantically given make believe significance by law and culture. Nobody has any excuse not to treat any person as anything but that one particular person, or to judge how to react to anyone's actions or temptations but their own. I doubt very much there's great temptation everywhere you go, and if you think there is, consider that it's probably just that you're recognizing new types or ways of temptation, because the thing itself is everywhere. That's part of being a human being.

Adem Al-Albani
11-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Yahya, during the time of the Prophet SAW, they made Hijrah from a place of oppression to a place of freedom.

There were companions with their cities, lands or tribes added to their name.

What are you on about?

IAmZamzam
11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Every place is a place of oppression. There are no "places of freedom" now, just places where different combinations of essential freedoms are denied you as opposed to others. I live in the U.S. (known as the "Land of the Free", this being neither more nor less in amount a lie than when every other country calls itself something similar) and it doesn't stop me from practicing Islam.

Adem Al-Albani
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
But for sure it's a land of Shirk and Kufr compared to other countries.

IAmZamzam
11-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Every country thinks other countries are particularly godless. It is due a combination of ethnocentrism, cultural brainwashing (to overlook, underemphasize, or fail to properly connect the flaws in one's own culture), and the fact that it is all too easy to forget that any place where there are human beings is going to carry some corruption and/or foolishness along with it. If you fail to focus on the individual people and look at them as huge, monolithic groups, you are no different from any of the genocidal maniacs of history in philosophy, only in how you choose to react (or think others should choose to react) to the caricatures you see around you.

greenshirt should have known when he started this thread that it would degenerate pretty much immediately into anti-American rhetoric. In many countries people grow up with such rhetoric as their bread and butter. And of course Americans are taught to place their own stereotypes on the "godless" Islamic countries, while all over other countries people are taught to look down on each other for equally prejudiced reasons.

format_quote Originally Posted by TheMerryMinuet
The whole world is festering with unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans; the Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs
South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don't like anybody very much!
greenshirt: you decide based on what you think is best. If you have a personal spiritual advisor, someone whom you can talk to (even just via an online back-and-forth) and trust, consult them, not us. Mine is Ron Hassan; you may have your own. If not, just follow your heart and your common sense, and if the two should conflict (which fortunately they probably won’t as often as you would think), tell your heart where it can get off.

I am starting to come down with something and may not be able to be typing on the computer as much as I’d like for a little while, and I am getting awfully tired of dignifying bigotry with argument. My advice to everyone in this thread: just forget the thread exists, because it’s only going to get worse and worse. Should you choose to ignore that advice, at least remember I made that prediction.

Laila-
11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
like duh! of course its halal to live there! Allah made the earth, he did not say you cannot live in certain areas, it doesnt matter where u live wat matters it what kind of person you are. Its lk sayin a prson who lives in saudi but inside he is a bd prson ie, he commits more sins than the prson in USA. So it doesnt matter whre u live, sins are everywhere, only sm1 wid strng faith cn survive
:)

Yassouid
11-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Verily! As for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them): "In what (condition) were you?" They reply: "We were weak and oppressed on earth." They (angels) say: "Was not the earth of Allah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?" Such men will find their abode in Hell - What an evil destination!

4:97

Could someone please give a basic tafseer of this ayah.

أبو سليمان عمر
11-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Asalamu alaykum
You can find this in sharh raiyad alsalih by shaykh ibn uthaymeen it is what must scholars say but
in short that it falls into 3 types of people

1 He who can practice his deen and is able to move to a islamic country then this is mustahab

2 he who cant practice his deen and is able to move then this is wajib

3 he who cant practice his deen and cant make hijrah then this is nothing on him and once he is able to make hijrah then it becomes wajib

وقد ذكر أهل العلم أنه يجب على الإنسان أن يهاجر من بلد الكفر إلى بلد الإسلام إذا كان غير قادر على إظهار دينه.

وأما إذا كان قادراً على إظهار دينه، ولا يُعارَضُ إذا أقام شعائر الإسلام؛ فإن الهجرة لا تجب عليه، ولكنها تستحب ،
i would translate it but i dont believe i am qualified

أبو سليمان عمر
11-30-2010, 06:06 AM
pls read this

Ibn Qudaamah Al-Maqdisee (d. 630H) said: "People are divided into three categories with regard to Hijrah:

The First: This includes the one who it is obligatory upon and he is the one that has the ability to do it (i.e. perform Hijrah) while not being able to manifest his Religion in that land. Nor is he able to establish the obligatory requisites of his Religion due to his position of being in the midst of the disbelievers. This type of individual is obligated to make Hijrah due to Allaah statement: 'Verily, as for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves, they (angels) say (to them): In what (condition) were you? They will reply: We were weak and oppressed on the earth. They (angels) will say: Was not the earth of Allaah spacious enough for you to migrate therein? Such men will find their abode in Hell - what an evil destination!' [Surat-un-Nisaa: 97] The severe threat that is mentioned in this ayah is proof for the obligation (of Hijrah). Also, establishing the obligatory aspects of one's Religion is an obligation in itself, for the one who is able to do that. And Hijrah is from the prerequisites of the obligatory and it is that which makes it complete. And whatever is essential for the completion of an obligation becomes obligatory in itself.

The Second: The one who is not obligated to make Hijrah. This is the one who has difficulty in doing it, whether it is due to a sickness, his being forced to keep his residence, or a weakness, as is the case with women, children and their likes. Hijrah is not obligatory upon this type of individual due to Allaah's statement: 'Except the weak ones among men, women and children who cannot devise a plan, nor are they able to direct their way. These are the ones whom Allaah is (most) likely to forgive, and Allaah is Ever Oft-Pardoning, Most Forgiving.' [9] And it is not described as being recommended because the one in this category is not able to do it.

The Third: The one who is recommended to do it, even though it is not obligatory upon him. He is the one who has the ability to make Hijrah, but yet he is also able to outwardly manifest his Religion while establishing his residence in the Land of Kufr. Thus it is recommended for him (to migrate to the believers), so that he may fight in Jihaad alongside them, add to the Muslim population and so that he can assist and support them. It is also so that he can free himself from adding to the population of the disbelievers, interacting with them and seeing the evil that occurs amongst them. Hijrah is not obligatory on him due to his ability to establish the obligatory aspects of his Religion, without having to migrate. This was the case with Al-'Abbaas (radyAllaahu ‘anhu), the paternal uncle of the Prophet (sallAllaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), who used to reside in Makkah while he was Muslim." [10]

you can get full article here it is very well
Some Statements of the Scholars regarding Hijrah

IAmZamzam
11-30-2010, 06:13 PM
Has it occurred to any of you that hijrah was a different situation for the first Muslims than it is for us?

Also, the part of that verse saying it's about hijrah at all, you will notice, is in parentheses, which usually means that it wasn't actually part of the verse itself and some translator is presumptuously injecting his own exegetical opinion into the text, which I think absolutely counts as tampering with God's word.

أحمد
11-30-2010, 06:42 PM
:sl:

The Hijra wasn't about "moving to Muslim land"; the planet, just as the rest of the universe; belongs to Allah. There's no obligation to move out of any country, unless one is forced out due to war, or any other such trial.

:wa:

Iman167
12-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Its not haram to stay in America.You can move to an islamic country if you are scared of being influenced in a wrong way, but you dont have to. Or you can stay here and try to find a way to benifit the ummah here. You can still go to an american university, its not haram, but you can put an islamic twist, you can do it for your religion. Maybe you can major in arabic. It would help you understand the meaning of the quran better, and you can still get a job w/ it as a translator, islamic school arabic teacher, etc. What im planning to do is take some sewing classes and sell islamic clothes to help muslim women have more choices in islamic apparel, see im tying my possible potential job w/ islam. There are many other things you can do that i cant think of at the moment, you just need to find something you can do for the sake of Allah and you will be rewarded.

ApakalypsE
01-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Me personally I have so much to learn I havent thought about leaving the usa .Have looked at the posts and they are very interesting but I am still unlearned in alot of things so I woiuld have to wait to make a better formed decision.I dont think living here inteferes with my practice of religion,Id rather die on my feet than live on my knees.Allah Akbar!

ardianto
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yassouid
Verily! As for those whom the angels take (in death) while they are wronging themselves (as they stayed among the disbelievers even though emigration was obligatory for them), they (angels) say (to them): "In what (condition) were you?" They reply: "We were weak and oppressed on earth." They (angels) say: "Was not the earth of Allah spacious enough for you to emigrate therein?" Such men will find their abode in Hell - What an evil destination!

This ayah is about Muslims (during Rasulullah SAW period) who did not hijrah to Madinah although they were able. Later, kuffar in Makah oppressed them and forced them to fight Muslim in the battle of Badar. Finally, they were killed in this battle.

Source : Tafseer from Indonesian Ulama.

Ramadhan
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Quote Originally Posted by Yassouid View Post

This ayah is about Muslims (during Rasulullah SAW period) who did not hijrah to Madinah although they were able. Later, kuffar in Makah oppressed them and forced them to fight Muslim in the battle of Badar. Finally, they were killed in this battle.

Source : Tafseer from Indonesian Ulama.
So is this verse a definite injunction against joining any armed forces in the countries which are fighting muslims in muslim lands?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!