/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Zaytuna Institute and it's Instructors?

Tyrion
10-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I live in California, very close to the Zaytuna institute/College. Because of this, their instructors seem to be around my university a lot, and some of the Islamic events held by our MSA involve them in some way or another. For example, I've heard of some free classes that are going to be taking place in the evenings where one of their instructors (Yahya Rhodus) will be introducing Islamic logic and thought. What I want to know is, are they seen as a trustworthy source of Islamic information?

I've heard some rather nasty things about Zaytuna, and Hamza Yusuf (it's founder). I don't really know anything about them, so I thought I'd ask around. The students and instructors around here seem to hold them in high regard, but my dad has told me to be careful, because they might have some odd views... Anyone able to shed some light on this for me?

Also, please refrain from bashing a scholar, even if you disagree with him. I want to know more about them, and whether or not their teachings are acceptable.. But I've seen some people on this board get really fired up when Hamza Yusuf's name is mentioned, so if you do have reason to disagree with him, please tell me why instead of just insulting him. Like I said, I don't know too much about them, so I'd really like to know if their events are something I should take advantage of or avoid. Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zafran
10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Salaam

You can go to Youtube and watch Hamza Yusufs lectures there and decide for yourself - To Me he is without doubt one of the most trustworthy sources of knowledge out there for the western muslim as I find his lectures realy helpful.

You also have Zaid Shakir.

peace.

aadil77
10-06-2010, 06:48 PM
yh go to the lectures and see for yourself, but keep an open mind

the only thing dodgy I've read from Hamza Yusuf is his views regarding Jihad

$tranger
10-06-2010, 07:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTgBfvQVNg

^watch the remaining via youtube. Might be of some help

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!