/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hadith vs Ahadith

Grace Seeker
10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I've grown accustomed to the terms "hadith" and "ahadith" on this board and I thought that I knew what they were -- reports of things that Muhammad is supposed to have said or done based on the testimony of others who witnessed them. And I always though that they were the same, then today I was reading a book about the prophet written by a Muslim who used both terms in the same sentence. So, now I'm confused. Are these terms synonymous or do they speak of slightly different things?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
10-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Peace, Grace Seeker,

Hadeeth is singular, Ahadeeth is plural.

I've written them as pronounced, though some places do use an "i" instead of "ee" in spelling.

Peace.

EDIT: You will sometimes see the word hadeeth used referring to all hadeeth as a group eg "Usool al-Hadeeth" meaning, "the principles of hadeeth". So ahadeeth is always plural, hadeeth is mainly singular, but can, depending on usage, sometimes refer to all the hadeeth as a group.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!