/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sleep, dreaming and sinning in dreams?

Amoeba
10-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Are we to be held responsible for the evil things we might do in our dreams?

Although we aren't directly harming anyone in a dream, depending on your level of consciousness in your dream you might be making the intention to do so, and intention is very important.

Some of us when we dream it's a hazy blur and we're not conscious enough to comprehend what we're doing. We might "see ourselves" doing something horrible in a dream and be unable to control it and wake up thinking "That was horrible! I'll never do that in real life".

But I have always dreamed very vividly since I was a child and in some of these vivid dreams I was nearly as aware of what I was doing as if I was awake. And in that state of awareness I've done some really nasty things, including but not limited to severely maiming (with intent to kill) a man in a very brutal and gruesome way who broke into our house (in the dream of course). I remember it crystal clear and even now I look back on it and remember that I did it in a state of panic of having an intruder in the house. If that was real... I can't say I would have acted any different. :(

Also lately I've been doing a lot of drawing animals in my dreams and again sometimes I'm as aware as in real life, sitting there with the pencil in hand thinking "I shouldn't do this" but being unable to control myself. That's happened once in real life but I stopped after making a couple of lines on the page and then deleting it off the computer (so it was more mouse in hand rather than pen in hand). But in the dreams I'll start to draw quite detailed animals perfectly aware that what I'm doing is a complete no-no.

Then there are the... erm... masturbation dreams, where I wake up... you know... :embarrass I worry about those especially.

If a dream is vivid enough can we be held accountable for what we do in it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ezekiel_B
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I've done some really nasty things, including but not limited to severely maiming (with intent to kill) a man in a very brutal and gruesome way who broke into our house (in the dream of course)
That's really interesting because I have a recurring dream of breaking into someone's house and the man who owns it is trying to kill me...

- Qatada -
10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
asalaam alaikum warahmatulah wabarakatuh

عن علي : أن رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم قال : " رفع القلم عن ثلاثة عن النائم حتى يستيقظ وعن الصبي حتى يشب وعن المعتوه حتى يعقل " .
رواه الترمذي ( 1343 ) وابن ماجه ( 3032 ) والنسائي ( 3378 ) .

It was narrated from ‘Ali that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Pen has been lifted from three: from the one who is sleeping until he wakes up, from the child until he reaches the age of puberty, and from one who is insane until he comes to his senses.”

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi [Hasan/Reliable], 1343; Ibn Maajah, 3032; al-Nasaa’i, 3378)

A person who is sleeping does not know what he is doing, so he is one of those from whom the Pen is lifted (i.e., his deeds are not recorded). Wet dreams happen when a person is asleep, so they are among the things that are forgiven.

2 – Allaah has in fact made wet dreams [al-hilm] one of the signs of puberty. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And when the children among you come to puberty [al-hilm]…”
[al-Noor 24:59]

If wet dreams were haraam [forbidden], Allaah would not have made that a sign of puberty.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/9208

Alpha Dude
10-08-2010, 10:45 AM
:sl: You should avoid telling your bad dreams to people. Even good dreams, I would keep under wraps and tell only those close to me.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
10-08-2010, 10:56 AM
These dreams will go away trust me give it 2-3 weeks...provided that you dont draw

Listen to quran before you sleep like 20 minutes......extreme simulation of the reward mechanism in the brain gets you hooked on things....so when you tell your brain in the day that you are not going to draw...it will try to convince you at night in your dreams.... because at that time you have no control

Innocent Soul
10-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Assalamualaikum

But I have always dreamed very vividly since I was a child and in some of these vivid dreams I was nearly as aware of what I was doing as if I was awake.
It's common. Almost 80% of my dreams were so weird I just could not judge that whether it was a good dream or a bad one.I feel like i am awake but the dreaming :exhausted.

I remember a dream I saw a when I was small I was going to get an injunction and I shouted and woke up after seeing that dream.I just laugh alot after I remember it. ;D

Amoeba
10-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone, I feel a little better now knowing our dreams aren't recorded as our deeds.

format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
:sl: You should avoid telling your bad dreams to people. Even good dreams, I would keep under wraps and tell only those close to me.
Why is that?

sister herb
10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I have seen dream that I have been punishing to jail to 10 years. I remember it as good dream as just I entered to jail they told me I can get the Bible as only book I can read in my cell.

Then I said in dream: "No. I am muslim. I want Quran only."

Tyrion
10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
If we were judged by the things that went through our heads, then I'm pretty sure we'd all be doomed to Hell. Don't worry about it too much, dreams are just dreams. :p

islamaholic™
10-08-2010, 06:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I have seen dream that I have been punishing to jail to 10 years. I remember it as good dream....
Interesting, if i was condemned to 10 years in prison, i would consider it a veeery bad dream. I would be totally flipping out in my sleep.

sister herb
10-08-2010, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamaholic™
Interesting, if i was condemned to 10 years in prison, i would consider it a veeery bad dream. I would be totally flipping out in my sleep.
Not me. I knew I was innocent and Allah was with me.

islamaholic™
10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
I knew I was innocent
lol, and i bet your lawyers where appealing the case in your sleep aswell.

sister herb
10-09-2010, 07:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamaholic™
lol, and i bet your lawyers where appealing the case in your sleep aswell.
I was before atheist. It is so nice to remember in dream I am not that any more. But a muslim. And my propector and lawyer is Allah and only Allah.

islamaholic™
10-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Masha-Allah, cool, i was an atheist up until 17 aswell. Alhamdulli-Allah for his grace and guidance, for a person like me of all people, lol.

Amoeba
10-09-2010, 07:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
Does anybody know if this is an islamic thing or if it's just a personal choice?

islamaholic™
10-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Does anybody know if this is an islamic thing or if it's just a personal choice?
Once, a person dreamt that his throat was cut and his head fell off and rolled away. He chased after it, retrieved it and put it back in it's place. The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) smiled and said:

"When satan makes fun of you during your sleep, do not tell people about it."

So amongst other reasons, the Prophet (pbuh) discouraged people from relating dreams that appear meaningless or frightening.

Alpha Dude
10-09-2010, 11:34 AM
It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Dreams are of three types: glad tidings from Allaah, what is on a person’s mind, and frightening dreams from the Shaytaan. If any of you sees a dream that he likes, let him tell others of it if he wishes, but if he sees something that he dislikes, he should not tell anyone about it, and he should get up and pray.”

Amoeba
10-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks for informing me. :)

Amoeba
10-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I just thought do you think it'd be ok to share those types of dreams where you think back on them and they make you laugh out loud and want to share the joke with others... as long as the joke was decent and not obscene or offensive?

Alpha Dude
10-09-2010, 08:55 PM
I just thought do you think it'd be ok to share those types of dreams where you think back on them and they make you laugh out loud and want to share the joke with others... as long as the joke was decent and not obscene or offensive?
As long as it isn't a bad dream, I don't see why not.

tango92
10-09-2010, 09:08 PM
can we be rewarded for what we do in dreams. eg making dhikr?

Alpha Dude
10-09-2010, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
can we be rewarded for what we do in dreams. eg making dhikr?
Most likely not, seeing as you are not consciously doing these things.

You can be rewarded for the things you do in preparation for sleep though, e.g. sleeping with wudhu, sleeping in the sunnah manner, reciting the dua for sleep.

Amoeba
10-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't agree that you're not always conscious in dreams, though I do agree that for most people, most of the time you're not. When you go into a lucid state you become perfectly aware that you're dreaming and that everything around you is just part of your dream, and aware that in reality you're actually lying in your bed asleep even though it doesn't look or feel like it. You become conscious and everything you do is a conscious action, unless you fall back "asleep" (or in essence lose lucidity).

Some people never lucid dream, some rarely do, some do frequently. I do rarely and when I do I always try to bend the laws of physics in the dream and manipulate the surroundings. Sometimes the surprise from something unexpected happening causes me to forget it's all just a dream and thus break lucidity.

syed_z
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Asalaam O Alaikum...

Seeing good dreams like those which come from God, because Prophet (saw) said There are 3 main type of dreams which a person sees, ones which are good dreams they come from God, ones which are bad come from Satan and others which comes from ourselves i.e are reflection of our thoughts and experiences which we have during day.

About the Good dreams i.e specially those coming from God, it is in Hadith of Prophet (saw) that they should be only told to the ones who are very close to you.

Narrated Abu Salama

I used to see a dream which would make me sick till I heard Abu Qatada saying: “I too, used to see a dream which would make me sick till I heard the Prophet saying: A good dream is from Allah, so if anyone of you saw a dream which he liked, he should not tell it to anybody except to the one whom he loves, and if he saw a dream which he disliked, then he should seek refuge with Allah from its evil and from the evil of Satan, and spit three times (on his left) and should not tell it to anybody, then it will not harm him.”

(Bukhari)

And in Quran in Surah Yusuf Prophet Yusuf (a.s) was warned by Yaqoob (a.s) i.e His father to not to relate the dreams to any one of his brothers, for they were jealous of him. And so if he would relate his dreams then it could be that the jealousy of his brothers could have increased and would have led to him being hurt in even a greater manner than what they did to him. So Quran gives us guidance to specially not to tell those dreams which one has seen, which gives one news of a great future like Yusuf (a.s) dream.

(12:04) LO! Thus spoke Joseph unto his father "O my father! Behold, i saw (in a dream) eleven stars, as well as the sun and the moon: i saw them prostrate themselves before me!"

(12:05) (Jacob) replied "O my dear son! Do not relate to your brothers lest (out of envy) they devise an evil scheme against you; verily, Satan is man's open foe!

We should relate it to only the one who is very close to us, to whom we are emotionally attached, like in Prophet Yusuf's case where he was very close to his father and he related it to him 1st of all.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I have seen dream that I have been punishing to jail to 10 years. I remember it as good dream as just I entered to jail they told me I can get the Bible as only book I can read in my cell.

Subhaan`Allaah . . . .

syed_z
10-10-2010, 08:13 PM

SubHAn Allah!! Mash Allah :statisfie

That is inspiration from Allah (swt). says not me, Prophet Muhammad (saw) predicted that...

Abu Huraira reported that the Messenger of Allah said “When the time (of the end of the world) draws close, the dreams of a believer will hardly fail to come true, and a dream of a believer is one of the forty-six parts of prophethood.”

(Bukhari, Muslim)
“Abu Hurairah reported: When the Apostle of Allah finished his morning prayer he used to ask whether anyone had seen a dream, and used to say: After me there would be nothing left of prophethood except good dreams.”

(Muwatta, Imam Malik)

The news of the Unseen and all that Allah (swt) send us through the unseen (ghaib) and all that we have been receiving from it , is through Prophet Hood which Allah (swt) bestowed on his chosen ones called Prophets. But Muhammad (Saw) told us that after he leaves Prophet hood will be over, because there will be no revelation needed as Quran will be the last one. BUT Allah (swt) will deliver His news to each individual i.e through the true and good dreams informing them of something about their lives. And that is why Prophet Muhammad (Saw) said the above that nothing would remain of Prophet hood except true and good dreams such as the one this Sister saw.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!