/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello...new here. Struggling...questions...close to reverting I think.

ramatheson
10-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi everyone. As a brief background, I grew up in a CnE Catholic family. That means we were Catholics on Christmas and Easter. :-) I basically grew up as an agnostic/deist. Around the age of twenty, I discovered Christianity and became a hard-core, fundamentalist Christian who taught Bible studies, led groups at church, etc. etc. etc. After a few years, I began questioning things and the more questions I had, the less things made sense, until the point came when I lost my religion and became an atheist.

That was about eight years ago, and recently I've been revisiting the subject of spirituality/religion. I've found myself being drawn towards and fascinated by Islam. I've been reading and researching and trying to educate myself as much as possible. I am finding that the more questions I have, the more it makes sense. This is the complete opposite of my experience in Christianity. I'm finding myself starting to perhaps believe in God again. I'm reevaluating my conception of God. My wife isn't quite at the same point as me, but says she thinks Islam is very interesting, and is reading the Qur'an with me some. We've been reading/listening online to it at the Qur'an Explorer online. I just bought a plain version of the Qur'an today to read when I don't have a computer around. I'm only about halfway through the second Sura.

I've been progressing in this direction full-steam ahead over the last couple of weeks and am seeing myself as a possible revert at some time in the future. I am hoping (but nervous as a Westerner) to visit a local Mosque soon. I'd like my wife to come too, but we're worried about when to go and...well...it just seems so alien to us both as white, atheist westerners. I'm worried that if it's not completely welcoming, like in the "amazing convert story" on youtube, then it will knock us off the path. I would like to say that so far, I'm amazed and loving that I'm finding everything I've heard about Islam to be almost completely opposite of what I've heard.

Today, I hit my first stumbling blocks. I'm a very free-thinker, and have found some things in the Qur'an that are clear contradictions. How do you align verses like 35:1 and 6:100-101? In the first, it says Allah can do anything, and in the next it says he CAN'T do something (have a child). What about 39:12 where Mohammed is said to be the first Muslim, and then 2:132 says Abraham was the first person to follow Islam?

I mean no disrespect, and am truly curious and wanting to know the answers. I need some guidance. Anyone willing to take me under their wing and help me out would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad I found this site. Nice to "meet" you all.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
10-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Welcome onboard :shade:

I was going to answer your questions but.. Im too tired - sorry

hopefully someone else will

جوري
10-08-2010, 11:52 PM
:welcome: aboard..

your 'free thinking questions' look awfully familiar.. nonetheless,

You limit God and reduce him when you say, God is to have a son, you should read from the same sura:

6:103 Vision comprehendeth Him not, but He comprehendeth (all) vision. He is the Subtile, the Aware.

also if you have read suret al'ikhlas:

[Pickthal 112:1] Say: He is Allah, the One!
[Pickthal 112:2] Allah, the eternally Besought of all!
[Pickthal 112:3] He begetteth not nor was begotten.
[Pickthal 112:4] And there is none comparable unto Him.

It isn't a matter of 'can't' it is a matter of what would his 'need' be, and the fact that you attribute any need at all to god, would contradict the very definition of divinity.

as for the rest I didn't want to labor over it so here is a cut and paste:

Contradicts these verses:

When Jesus found Unbelief on their part He said: "Who will be My helpers to (the work of) Allah?" Said the disciples: "We are Allah's helpers: We believe in Allah, and do thou bear witness that we are Muslims. S. 3:52

Ibrahim was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was (an) upright (man), a Muslim (musliman), and he was not one of the polytheists. S. 3:67 Shakir

So their argument is pretty much that some Quranic verses say Muhammad is the first Muslim while there are other passages showing that there are Muslims before Muhammad. Is this a contradiction? No, you must understand what Muhammad meant and in what context.

Now when The Quran says:

Say: Shall I choose for a protecting friend other than Allah, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, Who feedeth and is never fed? Say: I am ordered to be the first to surrender [aslama] (unto Him). And be not thou (O Muhammad) of the idolaters. S. 6:14 Pickthall

Say, verily my Lord hath directed me into a right way, a true religion, the sect of Abraham the orthodox; and he was no idolater. Say, verily my prayers, and my worship, and my life, and my death are dedicated unto God, the Lord of all creatures: He hath no companion. This have I been commanded: I am the first Moslem (Wa 'Ana 'Awwalu Al-Muslimin). S. 6:161-163 Sale

He hath no associate. This am I commanded, and I am the first of the Muslims. S. 6:163 Rodwell

Say (O Muhammad): Lo! I am commanded to worship Allah, making religion pure for Him (only). And I am commanded to be the first of those who are muslims (surrender unto Him). S. 39:11-12 Pickthall

What this basically and simply means that Muhammad is commanded to be the first Muslim AMONG HIS PEOPLE. That is all it means, it means that Muhammad is the first Muslim among his people, and is commanded to be the first Muslim among his people. So it does not contradict the other verses, Muhammad is not the first Muslim on the planet, it just means the first Muslim among his people. Note what one of the verses also say:

Say: Shall I choose for a protecting friend other than Allah, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, Who feedeth and is never fed? Say: I am ordered to be the first to surrender [aslama] (unto Him). And be not thou (O Muhammad) of the idolaters. S. 6:14 Pickthall

It tells Muhammad to be not of the idolaters, who were the idolaters? The idolaters were the Quraysh, they were Muhammad's people, so hence it is crystal clear when it is said for Muhammad to be the first Muslim it just basically means among his people.

So hence the passages of Muhammad being commanded to be the first Muslim do not contradict these passages:

When Jesus found Unbelief on their part He said: "Who will be My helpers to (the work of) Allah?" Said the disciples: "We are Allah's helpers: We believe in Allah, and do thou bear witness that we are Muslims. S. 3:52

Ibrahim was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was (an) upright (man), a Muslim (musliman), and he was not one of the polytheists. S. 3:67 Shakir

They are not all alike; of the followers of the Book there is an upright party; they recite Allah's communications in the nighttime and they adore (Him). They believe in Allah and the last day, and they enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong and they strive with one another in hastening to good deeds, and those are among the good. And whatever good they do, they shall not be denied it, and Allah knows those who guard (against evil). S. 3:113-115 Shakir

Then will Allah say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: ‘This is nothing but evident magic.’ And behold! I inspired the disciples to have faith in Me and Mine Messenger: they said, 'We have faith, and do thou bear witness that we bow to Allah as Muslims.’" S. 5:110-111

Lo! it is from Solomon, and lo! it is: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful; Exalt not yourselves against me, but come unto me as those who surrender (muslimeena). ... So, when she came, it was said (unto her): Is thy throne like this? She said: (It is) as though it were the very one. And (Solomon said): We were given the knowledge before her and we had surrendered (wakunna muslimeena) (to Allah). ... It was said unto her: Enter the hall. And when she saw it she deemed it a pool and bared her legs. (Solomon) said: Lo! it is a hall, made smooth, of glass. She said: My Lord! Lo! I have wronged myself, and I surrender (aslamtu) with Solomon unto Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. S. 27:30-31, 42, 44 Pickthall

And strive in His cause as ye ought to strive, (with sincerity and under discipline). He has chosen you, and has imposed no difficulties on you in religion; it is the cult of your father Abraham. It is He Who has named you Muslims, both before and in this (Revelation); that the Messenger may be a witness for you, and ye be witnesses for mankind! So establish regular Prayer, give regular Charity, and hold fast to Allah! He is your Protector - the Best to protect and the Best to help! S. 22:78

So there is no contradiction what so ever. Adam was indeed the first Muslim, the first Muslim among mankind. Muhammad is commanded to be the first Muslim among his people. That is all that is meant by Muhammad being the first Muslim.

Since we are on the topic of the word Muslim and who is a Muslim etc. Here is a link in which you can see that Jesus himself used the word Muslim in the Bible:

all the best

ramatheson
10-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Thank you for the responses. I understand, Lily, a bit where you are coming from. I'm still having trouble. I guess I'm having a "Can God create a stone too big for him to lift?" kind of struggle. I'm having difficulty getting over that.

I'm not sure what you mean that my questions seem familiar?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PouringRain
10-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the forum.

There is a Muslim revert, on another forum I am on, who is a white American. He has a full blond beard, sometimes wears a turban, etc. I only mention him, because you mentioned being nervous about possibly converting as a white westerner.

Alpha Dude
10-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi ramatheson,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. :)

In the first, it says Allah can do anything, and in the next it says he CAN'T do something (have a child).
Imagine if God supposedly were to have a child. This would mean the child himself would in turn be a 'God'. However, by definition, a God is one that is uncreated. So what does that make the child? He would not be a God.

A God cannot be created and uncreated at the same time. It goes against the law of contradiction. The question itself is an illogical one, akin to the usual ones asked by atheists - 'can God make a square circle?'/'can God create a stone so heavy he can't lift it himself?' etc.

جوري
10-09-2010, 12:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ramatheson
I'm not sure what you mean that my questions seem familiar?
just means we've seen them before-- I think my response was adequate, but certainly br. Bedouin's elaboration sums up my meaning ...

peace

ramatheson
10-09-2010, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin

Imagine if God supposedly were to have a child. This would mean the child himself would in turn be a 'God'. However, by definition, a God is one that is uncreated. So what does that make the child? He would not be a God.

A God cannot be created and uncreated at the same time. It goes against the law of contradiction. The question itself is an illogical one, akin to the usual ones asked by atheists - 'can God make a square circle?'/'can God create a stone so heavy he can't lift it himself?' etc.
Excellent, and thank you. That pretty much sorts it.

I have another question...and PLEASE forgive if my ignorance makes this statement offensive. When I stop shaving, my beard grows in in patches and looks quite funny and weird. Basically, I can't grow a beard. Even still, would it be a sin in Islam to shave?

Alpha Dude
10-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Hey
I have another question...and PLEASE forgive if my ignorance makes this statement offensive. When I stop shaving, my beard grows in in patches and looks quite funny and weird. Basically, I can't grow a beard. Even still, would it be a sin in Islam to shave?
Nothing offensive about the question. :)

You'll get your fringe opinions, but it has unanimously been decided by the mainstream classical/traditional jurists of Islam that shaving the beard would make one sinful.

[If your concern is that your beard would not look nice and hence not be considered a proper beard, then you needn't worry, since your intention is sincere]

Btw, do you mean something like this:

It doesn't really look bad at all. :><: Or do you mean more like how the Chinese/Malaysians have their beards?

ramatheson
10-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks, Bedouin. That's what I'm loving about Islam. As a path, it seems more about the intentions than the results. I just read something (I think a Hadith) that said just that, if I read correctly.

No, not like that picture...well, maybe. I've gone four weeks without shaving at the most, and I end up with a beard like that starting on the left, with a patch of hair on my right lower-cheek and a bald right-side of the chin. It's literally in patches...with bald spots between hairy areas, lol. :-)

ramatheson
10-09-2010, 01:12 AM
I feel like I need to speak with someone directly...I feel something I can't describe. I just tried calling a local Mosque, but there was no answer. I'm not sure what to do.

جوري
10-09-2010, 01:59 AM
I want a convert brother to contact you like br. Mustafa, but not sure how to put you in touch with him.. I shall forward this link to him, perhaps he can contact you somehow insha'Allah..

:w:

YusufNoor
10-09-2010, 02:08 AM
:sl:

where do you live? find your local Masjid, go there for Fajr or Dhur prayer tomorrow.

when i reverted, i called too...no answer.

i just went to the Masjid {Mosque} and waited in the parking lot for someone to appear?

btw, as a former Catholic, is there anything that i might help you with?

btw, the answer to your, Can God create a stone too big for him to lift question? Allah does things that befit His Majesty. performing the above mentioned task has no benefit.

there is some EXCELLENT online material that i would recommend for you:

http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html

and:

http://www.bilalphilips.com/bilal_pa...sk=view&id=288

May Allah guide you and assist you and yours!

:wa:

Woodrow
10-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks, Bedouin. That's what I'm loving about Islam. As a path, it seems more about the intentions than the results. I just read something (I think a Hadith) that said just that, if I read correctly.

No, not like that picture...well, maybe. I've gone four weeks without shaving at the most, and I end up with a beard like that starting on the left, with a patch of hair on my right lower-cheek and a bald right-side of the chin. It's literally in patches...with bald spots between hairy areas, lol. :-)
Peace Ramatheson,

I was born in Hartford CT of Lithuanian parents who were mostly Lietuva Lipkas (Lithuanian Tatar) although I appear to be Caucasian I identify mostly with my Mongol ancestors and consider my race to be oriental. I too had the same issue over a beard. Mongols are notoriously lacking in facial hair and the little there is, is in small patches of assorted colors. Except for the long scraggly mustache that resembles a wilted, shedding caterpillar. I was 65 when I reverted. Strange phenomenon occurred on my First Ramadan after I reverted. In those short 28 days I grew a very thick, fist length snow white beard.

I too was raised Catholic but from a very devout family and very stringent old country Catholic. I went the whole 9 yards from alter boy to CYO to KofC (4th degree) and seminary. It was in my first semester as a seminarian I became disillusioned with Catholicism found the bible based fundamental religions and changed denominations faster than I changed socks and eventually became an Evangelical Assembly of God type, fire and brimstone preacher, did my best to convert Muslims in North Africa and the Mid-east Astagfirullah. Became disillusioned again and for about 30 years became an Agnostic but thought I was Buddhist. Didn't quite make it to atheist, but toyed with the idea. At 65 I discovered I was Muslim and returned home to where I belong.

Please feel free to ask questions I believe we have a lot in common.

ramatheson
10-09-2010, 02:46 AM
Well thank you so very much for the thoughtful replies. I know this is just the intro forum, and if this isn't the place to ask, then just ignore. I was curious how reverting would affect my marriage if my wife remains an atheist? I'm very worried about this of course. My family is my life.

I used to run a site called The Atheist Bible Study. It is at LINK REMOVED BY WOODROW, and there's an article I wrote all about my religious history. Here it is, if you are interested. It's about my growing up and conversion to Christianity and then becoming an atheist. I've been from one extreme to the other, you could say.

"I grew up, basically, without religion. I was raised a CnE (christmas and easter) Catholic, and when I was 21, I found God. I had heard of "The Last Temptation of Christ" and figured if the church hated it, then it MUST be good. I rented it and became more curious about the life of Jesus, dug up an old Bible we had laying around behind other books, and started reading. I got hooked, and my wife (at the time) and I started going to church with a friend at my work.

We became devout baptists and went to church Sunday morning and evening, and Wednesday night. Every night also involved a bible devotional. We became alienated from our friends, but luckily I was convincing enough to get most of my "unsaved" heathen Catholic family to join the bandwagon.

Well after a couple years, I started to question. The most (only?) true thing in the Bible is (Matthew 18:3) where Jesus says you have to be as a child in order to get into heaven. How do children react to things? They usually accept them with very little convincing required. This is an important thing for childrens' survival. If a child questions everything an adult tells them, and tests each thing out on their own, they will be in grave danger. Imagine a child testing out an adult's theory that walking off a cliff will kill a person? Childrens' brains are wonderfully programmed by evolution to accept, without question, authority. This child-like mind is similar to being a christian: the less you think and question it, the more it makes sense. Adults usually need much more convincing before they will believe something.

I was a Christian for about four years, with bible devotions every day, attending church three times a week (Sunday evening and morning, as well as Wednesday evening), teaching bible studies (I was pushed into it, despite not wanting really to do it, by my pastor, due to my intense study of the bible. People nicknamed me "The Berean," after the people in Berea from the book of Acts who study the bible very much), and doing door-to-door witnessing and pamphlet distributing. During that fourth year, I began really digging into the bibe, going into the history of the book and where it came from. This, of course, led to questions that had no satisfactory answers beyond, "We can't always understand God," which means, "There's no good reason so just ignore that contradiction or story." I started questioning things as an adult. These seeds of doubt led me to research things and eventually broke with my religion.

It was scary giving that up, but felt so good to finally be free. I felt as if I had woken up finally after so long of living with a sleeping mind. I began reading again, listening to music, and basically started learning again. It felt so good to think.

I told my family and friends I was agnostic, that I believed in a god, but wasn't sure who or what it was. I really just said this to cushion the blow for myself and them, as it was hard to go straight from devout baptist to atheism. Everyone thought I was flaky of course, and I can't tell you how many times I heard the line, "How can you go from being that religious to being not religious overnight?" Well, it wasn't overnight I would tell them, as it grew over about a year. I spent a good number of months tithing, reading the bible, teaching the bible, converting people to christianity, etc., when I didn't believe. It just took a while to build up the courage to split from it.

I've been non-church goer for about 8 years now (as of this writing, January, 2009). I've had many debates with people about religion/god/the bible, etc. since then, and my prior theist life has made it easy to dispute their claims in most cases. Most usually end with them stating, "Oh...well I'll have to look that up and get back to you," or changing the subject. I feel my religious experience was good as I have learned quite a bit. Before I was a christian, I never knew what to believe. By going through the years as a devout christian, I learned a lot about that lifestyle and belief system. I also learned it is false. As Nietzsche said, "That which does not kill me strengthens me." Instead of being in a belief-limbo as I was before finding religion, I am now positively sure that it is not reality. But I wasn't always sure I was an atheist.

On July 2nd, 2004, I stumbled across this site, and had a theological epiphany. My atheism was made apparent to me, when it wasn't something I had thought about much. While there, I found this article. It was just a one-shot study, but I found the idea of an "atheist bible study" quite humorous. It sounded sort of like an oxy-moron at first, but then I thought about how most atheists know more about the bible than christians do. So I decided to launch a site dedicated to studying the bible, to expose the errancies within it.

I hope you enjoy the site, and I encourage you to post comments. Have a great day!

For further information about coming out as an atheist, stop by this site."

Woodrow
10-09-2010, 03:31 AM
Peace Ramatheson,

While we do our best to avoid censorship, we do not allow links to most non-Islamic sites. Particulary if they promote a belief other than Islam. For that reason I removed the link to your site.

Speaking up front. If you do revert and your wife remains an atheist, it will be a problem as a Muslim man is forbidden to be married to a Non-Muslim with the exception of (People of the Book) Jews, Christians and Sabians. . I really can not state how this applies to a marriage that took place prior to the reverting. Insha Allaah a more knowledgeable member will fill in further.

It is very difficult for an atheist to return to being a theist. The proof of the existence of God(swt) is often intangible and usually does not adapt well to material standards of measurement. One thing that convinced me of the existence of God(swt) is the Qur'an. Having had a long interest in linguistics and being somewhat multi-Lingual the Arabic language has long fascinated me. Reading the Qur'an in Arabic I can not conceive of how a human could have written it. It is virtually impossible for a person to write such a melodious work in Arabic and have it make any sense. Yet, that is what was done in the Qur'an. A close comparison would be for somebody to rewrite the entire US Constitution set to the tune of the William Tell overture and still have it carry the same meaning. To make it even more difficult at the time of the writing of the Qur'an, Arabic as a written language had only been in existence for less then 200 years. It was quite a task for the scribes considering there was at least 7 different versions of the written Arabic alphabet. Quite remarkable that the letters and pronunciation marks kept the original tone of the spoken, so that is is almost like a tape recording of the original spoken, when read by a reader who is familiar with the Tajweed pronunciation.

glo
10-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the forum, ramatheson :welcome:

Only by asking and exploring questions do we grow closer to God. I hope you find answers to your questions and God's peace with it.

h-n
10-10-2010, 02:33 AM
:welcome:

1. Allah is All-Seeing how can another "God" keep his thoughts and actions hidden from Allah? He cannot, there is only One God , he is Allah, the Sustainer of Life- that other God cannot even sustain himself and if Allah fell asleep he would not exist either. There is only One God, Allah. How can a God be created by another being, its like idol worshippers when they create their idols, a God would not be created by others, he is God. There is only One God, Allah. So he does not have children, as there can be no other God except Allah, as of course he would not be able to hide anything from Allah, so would not be a God. Allah is All-Seeing, All-Hearing, All-knowing.

2. Allah does not die, as nothing can take over his presence, he is All-Powerful. Even the nothingness cannot over take him, that is saying that something more powerful then Allah exists to take his presence and there is not. Even the mountain could not cope with Allah's presence, even all the suns are nothing. Allah is All-Powerful. Allah is All-Mighty. Praise be to he, the owner of the Worlds. Blessed are we to be created to know of our Master, Allah the One.

3. Allah is not an idol that people have created with their own hands. Why would a God needed to be created by someone else? He is not. He is ONE, there is no other like him, he does not have any parents or any children.

Also there are no contradictions, just confirming that there is this religion chosen since the time of Prophet Adam peace be upon him, and he and Prophet Noah peace be upon him, prayed to the one God, remembered the Day of Judgement and Paradise and Hell, sacrificed animals and refused to commit idol worship, ie build statues and say that someone else can save them when only Allah can. The Prophets Moses, Ibrahim, David, Solomon Jesus peace be upon him would not commit idol worship, and certainly would not be eating the "body of christ and drinking his blood" ie wine and bread and creating statues of them. It is an awful thing to not look at the one God and instead to look at someone who is a Man as your Saviour.

Thank-you for your time.

Hamza Asadullah
10-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi everyone. As a brief background, I grew up in a CnE Catholic family. That means we were Catholics on Christmas and Easter. :-) I basically grew up as an agnostic/deist. Around the age of twenty, I discovered Christianity and became a hard-core, fundamentalist Christian who taught Bible studies, led groups at church, etc. etc. etc. After a few years, I began questioning things and the more questions I had, the less things made sense, until the point came when I lost my religion and became an atheist.

That was about eight years ago, and recently I've been revisiting the subject of spirituality/religion. I've found myself being drawn towards and fascinated by Islam. I've been reading and researching and trying to educate myself as much as possible. I am finding that the more questions I have, the more it makes sense. This is the complete opposite of my experience in Christianity. I'm finding myself starting to perhaps believe in God again. I'm reevaluating my conception of God. My wife isn't quite at the same point as me, but says she thinks Islam is very interesting, and is reading the Qur'an with me some. We've been reading/listening online to it at the Qur'an Explorer online. I just bought a plain version of the Qur'an today to read when I don't have a computer around. I'm only about halfway through the second Sura.

I've been progressing in this direction full-steam ahead over the last couple of weeks and am seeing myself as a possible revert at some time in the future. I am hoping (but nervous as a Westerner) to visit a local Mosque soon. I'd like my wife to come too, but we're worried about when to go and...well...it just seems so alien to us both as white, atheist westerners. I'm worried that if it's not completely welcoming, like in the "amazing convert story" on youtube, then it will knock us off the path. I would like to say that so far, I'm amazed and loving that I'm finding everything I've heard about Islam to be almost completely opposite of what I've heard.

Today, I hit my first stumbling blocks. I'm a very free-thinker, and have found some things in the Qur'an that are clear contradictions. How do you align verses like 35:1 and 6:100-101? In the first, it says Allah can do anything, and in the next it says he CAN'T do something (have a child). What about 39:12 where Mohammed is said to be the first Muslim, and then 2:132 says Abraham was the first person to follow Islam?

I mean no disrespect, and am truly curious and wanting to know the answers. I need some guidance. Anyone willing to take me under their wing and help me out would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad I found this site. Nice to "meet" you all.
Hello there Ramatheson you are most welcome here and so are your questions as the only way to gain clarity on any matter is to research and ask questions.

Surely it is Allah who has given your heart the inclination to go towards the truth and that is why your heart is becoming inclined towards Islam.

In regards to your questions then let us look at the first verse:

Praise be to Allah Who created (out of nothing) the heavens and the earth Who made the angels messengers with wings two or three or four (Pairs): He adds to Creation as He pleases: for Allah has power over all things. 35:1

and the second verse:

Yet they make the Jinns equals with Allah though Allah did create the Jinns; and they falsely having no knowledge attribute to Him sons and daughters. Praise and glory be to Him! (for He is) above what they attribute to Him!. 6:100

To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth: how can He have a son when He hath no consort? He created all things and He hath full knowledge of all things. 6:101

According to the Quran, Allah tells us that He is the only creator and sustainer of all that exists and that nothing and no one exists alongside Him, nor does He have any partners. He tells us that He is not created, nor is He like His creation in anyway. He calls Himself by a number of names and three of them are:

A) The First - (Al-Awal)
B) The Last - (Al Akhir)
C) The Eternal, who is sought after by His creation, while He has no need from them at all. (As-Samad)

He always has existed and He never was created, as He is not like His creation, nor similar to it, in any way.

Allah tells us that "Allah is capable of doing anything that He Wills to do." He does not resemble His creation. Therefore, Allah is never subject to the Laws of the Creation because He is both the Creator and the Law Giver. Whenever He wants anything done, He merely says "Qun! Faya Qun!" (Be! And so it will be!)

In regards to your other question about the first Muslim:

"And I am commanded to be the first of those who bow to Allah in Islam." 39:12

And this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons and so did Jacob; "O my sons! Allah hath chosen the faith for you; then die not except in the faith of Islam." 2:132

Everything must be understood in its own context and that also goes for what is in the Qur'an. If one does not understand certain verses under the right context then one will think that it is a contradition and one will simply not understand it in its correct context.

The verse 39:12 is saying that Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was commanded to be the first Muslim AMONG HIS PEOPLE. But is not the first Muslim on the planet, it just means the first Muslim among his people. Note what another similar verse says:

Say: Shall I choose for a protecting friend other than Allah, the Originator of the heavens and the earth, Who feedeth and is never fed? Say: I am ordered to be the first to surrender [aslama] (unto Him). And be not thou (O Muhammad) of the idolaters. S. 6:14

This verse is telling Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) to be not of the idolaters, and who were the idolaters? The idolaters were the tribes of Quraysh, they were Prophet Muhammad's (Peace be upon him) people, so hence it is crystal clear when it is said for Prophet Muhammad to be the first Muslim it just basically means among his own people.

So there is no contradiction what so ever. Adam (Peace be upon him) was indeed the first Muslim, the first Muslim among mankind. Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) is commanded to be the first Muslim among his people. That is all that is meant by Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) being the first Muslim.

If you have any other questions at all then please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!