/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Google using John Lennon's lyrics to Imagine to commemorate his birth!

sabr*
10-09-2010, 11:12 PM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Google used the John Lennon song Imagine above its search engine to commemorate his birth.
(9 October 1940 – 8 December 1980)

What do you think about the impact of this song and the lyrics? The first verse regarding there is no Heaven الجنة(Janna) is Kufr (Disbelief) but is that the message?

Imagine lyrics: http://johnlennon.lyrics.info/imagine.html

What effect does popular culture have on Muslims and what are the tools to shield Muslims from any harmful effects.

Practicing Muslims already know the prohibition of Music so there is no need to continue to repost the below fact.

Surah Luqman 31:6

6. And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Qur'an) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).
(Ph.D. & Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan)

Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 15, Number 72:

Narrated Aisha:

Abu Bakr came to my house while two small Ansari girls were singing beside me the stories of the Ansar concerning the Day of Buath. And they were not singers. Abu Bakr said protestingly, "Musical instruments of Satan in the house of Allah's Apostle !" It happened on the 'Id day and Allah's Apostle said, "O Abu Bakr! There is an 'Id for every nation and this is our 'Id."
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
This thread was submitted with the best intentions and the best construction should be used when reading and submitting a constructive response.

Jazakumullahu Khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
titus
10-10-2010, 05:42 AM
I know it is nitpicking, but he did not say that there was no heaven. He was simply asking people to imagine a world where people did not fight over religion or governments or possessions, therefore imagine that there are no countries, no possessions, no heaven or hell.

The message of the song is simply one of trying to imagine a world at peace.

ardianto
10-10-2010, 10:04 AM
:sl:

"Imagine" was released at 1971 and became one of the most popular songs in the world. Now after 39 years, there is no any effect of that song lyric to Muslim ummah.

جوري
10-10-2010, 08:17 PM
there is no effect of it on the west either as apparently he was assassinated by a christian nutter for exactly that..
he should be entitled to chant his convictions, usually little jingles and tunes are catchy, people like to repeat them and jump on the band wagon. He shouldn't have been assassinated for it as I felt it further perpetuates atheist zeal!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tango92
10-10-2010, 08:23 PM
the root problem is, without religion, who really gives a **** ?

جوري
10-10-2010, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
the root problem is, without religion, who really gives a **** ?

without religion atheists would find the best reasons to mass murder a la mode of Lenin/xedong and the gang without so much as a conscientious blink!

Amadeus85
10-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Lennon was a lunatic, I didnt like him at all.

Woodrow
10-11-2010, 02:46 AM
:sl:

While those particular lyrics have had virtually no effect on the world. Perhaps we need to look deeper at music in general and it's impact on all of mankind.

It is pretty well established music sells products. Nearly every commercial has some sort of ditty or song associated with it. At what point does music become a method of brainwashing instead of a simple memory clicker to sell a brand of toothpaste? How much impact do things like National Anthems have on instilling a sense of nationalism among people. How much do patriotic songs contribute to a country becoming an aggressor or people accepting aggression?

Do song lyrics have an effect on developing moral values? Can music lead people away from Islam? Why is music such an integral part of so many religions?

I have no answers, just dropping a few thoughts to think over.

titus
10-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Can music lead people away from Islam?
Sure. It could also lead people to Islam.

Music is a tool like any other. A hammer can be used to hurt someone or it could be used to build someone a home. The tool itself is neither good or evil.

Lennon was a lunatic, I didnt like him at all.
I kinda agree with the first half. I think his grip on how reality works was tenuous at best. While I applaud his desire for peace, the methods he thought would help to achieve that peace were a joke and completely out of touch with how the real world works.

tango92
10-11-2010, 08:29 PM
i remember an old black eyed peas peace song called "where is the love" which i think was their debut single. at the time being, young and naive, i thought this band was onto something and they might make a difference to the world. next song of theirs is straight back to the old gangster rap. something i always despised. the single was no.1 for quite a while.

in retrospect it appears the song simply played on human emotions to sell....

sabr*
10-11-2010, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
i remember an old black eyed peas peace song called "where is the love" which i think was their debut single. at the time being, young and naive, i thought this band was onto something and they might make a difference to the world. next song of theirs is straight back to the old gangster rap. something i always despised. the single was no.1 for quite a while.

in retrospect it appears the song simply played on human emotions to sell....
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

tango92:

The Black Eye Peas have always been a hip hop band. They originally signed with Easy E (Ruthless Records) but message was considered too soft. They have become Pop because that is what sells. They began with a live band which seperated them from other Hip Hop groups.

One of the Black Eye first tracks defined them Joints & Jam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Eyed_Peas

This is a classic example why Music is forbidden in Islam. Horrible in everyway.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!