/* */

PDA

View Full Version : question regarding fasting

muslimgirl12
10-11-2010, 12:43 PM
salaam

I recently kept shawal fasts - but i made niyat for them to be both my farz and nafl fasts - somebody said i couldnt make two intentions for 1 fast - and that i had to keep the ones that i missed due to mensus first and then nafl

so my question is the fatss that i keps - do they count as my farz or nafl???even though i made the niyat for them to be my nafl?

or do i have to keep the farz fast again ???

another quest ion is - if you swallow water during wudo accidently does this break ypu fast??

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimgirl12
I recently kept shawal fasts - but i made niyat for them to be both my farz and nafl fasts - somebody said i couldnt make two intentions for 1 fast - and that i had to keep the ones that i missed due to mensus first and then nafl

so my question is the fatss that i keps - do they count as my farz or nafl???even though i made the niyat for them to be my nafl?

or do i have to keep the farz fast again ???
If you already made niyat for your shawwal fasting in order to pay for missed ramadan fasting due to having period, then you don't have to repeat/pay the missed fasting again.

But next time, in order to gain rewards for the shawwal fasting, then the niyat should be made for voluntary fasting, and you can pay for the missed ramadan fasting after you complete the 6 days shawwal fasting.

Here's the ruling from islamqa:

hould a woman start with making up missed fasts from Ramadaan or with the six days of Shawwaal?
What should a woman do first: fast the six recommended days of Shawwal ( Alayam Alsetta Albeed) or fast equivalent to the days she missed in Ramadan due to her monthly period?

Praise be to Allaah.

If she wants to earn the reward mentioned in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Whoever fasts Ramadaan then follows it with six days of Shawwaal, it will be as if he fasted for a lifetime” (reported by Muslim, no. 1984), then she should complete her Ramadaan fasts first, then follow it with six days of Shawwaal, so that the hadeeth with be applicable to her too, and she will gain the reward mentioned in it.

As regards the matter of permissibility, it is permissible for her to delay making up her Ramadaan fasts, provided that she makes them up before the next Ramadaan comes along.
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

nother quest ion is - if you swallow water during wudo accidently does this break ypu fast??
No, it does not break your fast.

from Islamqa:

If water reaches his throat because of rinsing his nose when fasting
Does my fast break if water runs down the back of my throat when i clear my nose in wudoo?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The fasting person is forbidden to go to extremes in rinsing his nose, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to Laqeet ibn Sabirah (may Allaah be pleased with him): “Do wudoo’ well, make the water run in between your fingers and toes, and go to extremes in rinsing the nose, unless you are fasting.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (142) and al-Tirmidhi (788); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This hadeeth indicates that one should avoid going to extremes in rinsing the nose when fasting, so that the water will not inadvertently enter the fasting person’s body.

Secondly:

If the fasting person rinses his mouth or nose and some of the water goes down into his throat without him intending it to, that does not break the fast, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And there is no sin on you concerning that in which you made a mistake, except in regard to what your hearts deliberately intend”

[al-Ahzaab 33:5]

This person did not deliberately intend to do that which invalidates the fast, so his fast is still valid.

See al-Sharh al-Mumti’ (6/240, 246).

See also question no. 40698.

And Allaah knows best.

muslimgirl12
10-11-2010, 10:22 PM
salaam

thankyou for your response - ims till a bit confused -

i didnt get to keep all six shawal fasts unfortunatly -
i only kept five, does that mean my 5 fasts that i kept can be counted as my farz and not my nafl or both??

also this is what i said in my nyat was for Allah Swt to accept them as both my farz and nafl and if not to accept them as my nafl

can i go back on my nyat for Allah to accept them as my farz instead as i wasnt able to complete my shawal fasts anyways -

Hamza Asadullah
10-12-2010, 12:38 AM
salaam

thankyou for your response - ims till a bit confused -

i didnt get to keep all six shawal fasts unfortunatly -
i only kept five, does that mean my 5 fasts that i kept can be counted as my farz and not my nafl or both??

also this is what i said in my nyat was for Allah Swt to accept them as both my farz and nafl and if not to accept them as my nafl

can i go back on my nyat for Allah to accept them as my farz instead as i wasnt able to complete my shawal fasts anyways -
Asalaamu ALaikum, my sister you should keep them as your nafil fasts for shawwal and just fast one more asking of Allah to accept it from you as your 6 fasts of Shawwal and i am sure he will accept it from you as your intention was to keep 6 fasts. This would mean that you would gain the rewards like you have fasted for a whole year! Subhanallah. These are rewards that we will need in the hereafter when we will beg others for even one good deed. The currency of the hereafter is not money but good deeds. So keep an extra fast inshallah.

In regards to your fasts that you have to make up from Ramadan then you can do these now or even in the next couple of months but it is best to do them sooner rather than later. As winter is on its way it is much easier to keep the fasts now so make use of these next couple of months and also we should all try to fast on Mondays and thursday as well as on the white days: 13th, 14th and 15th of each month as these are all Sunnah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimgirl12
10-15-2010, 07:07 AM
salaam - thankyou for all yopur responses

anither question was - when you spit and then lick your lips after wards does this break fast - whether it was done intentionally or not - cos its just natural to lick your lips , but does this break the fast -

also i was pleeling my lips and may have accidently swalled the peeled skin as it went in my mouth - i know i shoulnt have been messing around with my lips but does this break your fast too?

Ramadhan
10-15-2010, 07:26 AM
anither question was - when you spit and then lick your lips after wards does this break fast - whether it was done intentionally or not - cos its just natural to lick your lips , but does this break the fast -
No.

also i was pleeling my lips and may have accidently swalled the peeled skin as it went in my mouth - i know i shoulnt have been messing around with my lips but does this break your fast too?
And no.

muslimgirl12
10-15-2010, 11:57 AM
thankyou -

what about when doing istanja??

Ramadhan
10-15-2010, 12:43 PM
what about when doing istanja??
Doing istinja does not break fasting.

muslimgirl12
10-15-2010, 01:38 PM
what if the water reaches inside

Ramadhan
10-15-2010, 03:27 PM
no.

(12 chars)

Hamza Asadullah
10-17-2010, 04:48 AM
salaam - thankyou for all yopur responses

Asalaamu Alaikum none of these things break fast sister as long as it is not intentionally done over and over again.

Hamza Asadullah
10-17-2010, 04:49 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum, water reaching inside due to cleaning by doing isthinja does not invalidate wudhu.

muslimgirl12
10-21-2010, 01:13 PM
salaam

when you put mosturiser on your face and then after a while lick your lips - does this break your fast -
ive got a habit of licking my lips cos they are dry

of course you cant see ythe mosturizer cos its all dry on your face but dies this invalidate fast even when done intentionally

what i did was i had cream on my hands then after a while i was touching my lips then i licked my lips - there was no visible cream on my lips byt the taste is still there

Muhaba
10-21-2010, 03:33 PM
i don't know about creams, oinments, etc but i avoid using moisurizig creams, liquid foundation, etc during fasts. Lipsticks definately shouldn't be used.

ask a scholar about using the moisturizer on the face, but don't use it on the lips, so it won't get into the mouth.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!