PDA

View Full Version : Anti Muslim Bias

sabr*
10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
سم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Bismillā hir Rahmā nir Rahīm
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

As a Muslim do you feel an increase in Bias?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/12/nyregion/12hate.html

The Muslim youth that was beaten and abused last year should concern us all.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...ocal+(NY+Local)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Argamemnon
10-13-2010, 02:32 PM
What? Anti Muslim bias?! Never heard of such a thing!

:rock:

titus
10-13-2010, 05:22 PM
According to the FBI, statistics about hate crimes reported is thus:

Of the 1,732 victims of anti-religious hate crimes:

* 66.1 percent were targeted because of an offender’s anti-Jewish bias.
* 7.5 percent were victims because of an anti-Islamic bias.
* 5.1 percent were victims because of an anti-Catholic bias.
* 3.6 percent were victims because of an anti-Protestant bias.
* 0.8 percent were targeted because of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.
* 12.8 percent were victims because of a bias against other religions (anti-other religion).
* 4.0 percent were victims because of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions

SOURCE

While such crimes are abhorrent to the extreme, nobody should attempt to paint a picture of a massive number of crimes against Muslims in the US.

Also, the NY Times article that is referenced by the OP is from 2005. The statistics from 2005 show:

Of the 1,405 victims of an anti-religion hate crime:

* 69.5 percent were victims of an anti-Jewish bias.
* 10.7 percent were victims of an anti-Islamic bias.
* 7.5 percent were victims of a bias against other unspecified religions (anti-other religion).
* 4.3 percent were victims of an anti-Catholic bias.
* 4.1 percent were victims of an anti-Protestant bias.
* 3.3 percent were victims of a bias against groups of individuals of varying religions (anti-multiple religions, group).
* 0.4 percent were victims of an anti-Atheist/Agnostic bias.

So while the number of hate crimes based on religion gone up from 2005 to 2008, but the percentage of those attacks against Muslims has gone down. The data from 2009 is to be released in November.

Darth Ultor
10-13-2010, 05:50 PM
I see bias against religion in general.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
marwen
10-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Although discrimination against muslims has manifestly decreased, there still exist some misconceptions about the islamic way of life. I mean, many non muslims are really kind and they accepted muslims in their societies, but they still judge the islamic lifestyle.
What bothers me is : why non muslims (governments and intellectuals) have this strong will to intervene in the islamic system and want to change islamic constants : banning burqa/hijab, intervening in the educational systems of schools (in some islamic countries), stopping minarets construction, attacking islamic characters and constants by the name of freedom of speech, considering islam responsible for terrorism acts made by a few muslims, etc..etc.
It seems that muslims are always opressed by their own islamic system they invented, and they are brainwashed and unconsiously heading towards a big danger, unless some westerner smart (a**s) come to help them and get them out of islam.

I just don't understand why, from all the other religions, only islam is sumitted to continuous criticism and necessity to external intervention to change its basics. And it's amazing how some europeean countries can always find their own pretexts to object to some rituals or islamic acts of worship, like the burqa is a sign of opression for women, or it can be used by thiefs who are disguized in a burqa, or salat(prayer) can disrupt the work, etc.

It's not a problem if non muslims think islam is wrong, but I would like if they let muslims practice their religion without restriction and without judgement, just like christians, jews, hindus, buddhists, and every other religion.

جوري
10-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I doubt the american FBI would come up with accurate statistics-- it is just a matter of what is reported. Jews are more likely to report crimes against them than Muslims..
again a little knowledge of how stats work should come into play.
The number of rapes is substantially less in a country like Egypt than a country like the U.S .. is it because Egypt just has those upstanding morals weaved into its very fiber? absolutely not. But a Muslim woman or even a christian middle eastern woman is alot less likely to report such a crime (knowing fully what it entails) over an American woman.
Stats mean absolutely nothing unless you know how they work, and for the most part, fools are only too happy to jump over the first website that will echo their personal beliefs rather than have an objective look at what is really going on.

One of my friends was asked to leave a bus because she is a veiled woman in a little red necker town (she didn't report it) do you think that is akin to a hate crime? how about someone trying to mow her down? yeah, both happened, both went unreported and that is a sliver of the phenomenal crimes that occur daily against Muslims unreported, uncared for. etc.

:w:

titus
10-13-2010, 10:55 PM
What bothers me is : why non muslims (governments and intellectuals) have this strong will to intervene in the islamic system and want to change islamic constants : banning burqa/hijab, intervening in the educational systems of schools (in some islamic countries), stopping minarets construction, attacking islamic characters and constants by the name of freedom of speech, considering islam responsible for terrorism acts made by a few muslims, etc..etc.
For the most part I agree with you, many people in the West still have a way to go in their attitudes towards Muslims. That being said, it is not only the West that has this problem. It is worldwide.

I mean, many non muslims are really kind and they accepted muslims in their societies, but they still judge the islamic lifestyle.
People always judge and that will never change. After all, don't Muslim judge non-Muslim lifestyles also? Just read random posts on this forum if you think not :p

Darth Ultor
10-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Well, wearing a burqa when driving I can understand, because it is risking other people on the road. Being allowed to drive is a privilege, not a right. But on the streets, it's their own choice.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-14-2010, 03:42 AM
As a Muslim do you feel an increase in Bias?
yes. and something that really "aggregates" this bias is the bs media.

alhamdulillah here there isn't strong bias against Muslims in the respect of physical attacks and such. but you do feel some sort of hostility. its nothing too bad but you will hear an insult here and there, it it isnt anything too bad and it doesn't go anywhere near any physical attacks. other cites we've been too, though again it hasn't reach the level of physical attacks, it still feels as if the air/atmosphere is very thick of something...its feels there is much more hostility.

One of my friends was asked to leave a bus because she is a veiled woman in a little red necker town (she didn't report it) do you think that is akin to a hate crime? how about someone trying to mow her down? yeah, both happened, both went unreported and that is a sliver of the phenomenal crimes that occur daily against Muslims unreported, uncared for. etc.
i get the feeling sometimes that when im at pedestrian crossings, some drivers just want to run me over :hmm:

جوري
10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
i get the feeling sometimes that when im at pedestrian crossings, some drivers just want to run me over

I am sorry to hear that sis-- the guy actually stepped on the gas when she was crossing, and she ran until she fell.. poor girl.. she went back to her country al7mdlillah, she was/is a sweet girl.. well a married sweet woman by now..

sabr*
10-21-2010, 07:30 PM

The Words That Got Juan Williams Fired From NPR

http://www.thefoxnation.com/must-rea...-muslim-remark

The same sentiments maybe shared when some see WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) and Christian men walking around: Some examples that may cause this apprehension:

Ed Gein
Theodore Robert Cowell (a/K/a Ted Bundy)
John Wayne Gacy
Jeffrey Dahmer
Gary Ridgway
Hamy Fish (Albert Fish)
Herman Webster Mudgett
Richard Angelo
Harvey Murry Glatman
Dean Corll, Elmer Wayne Henley, David Brooks

Pygoscelis
10-21-2010, 09:50 PM
If people could only stop seeing that muslima as a member of a group (one they don't much like) and instead as an individual human being, life would be much better for everybody.

سيف الله
10-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Salaam

Nope, to be a Muslim is to be part of a community (Ummah) where togetherness and solidarity are valued. Muslims don’t subscribe to atomized individualism (you know, I’m alright jack, look out for number one etc) that’s (supposedly) so popular in Western societies.

Anyway, just because your part of a community doesn’t give license to people to abuse the people in it.
This prejudice that Muslims are facing are more to do with what’s happening abroad, misinformation, ignorance and the fact that Muslims don’t easily submit to the Eurocentric way of doing things, hence the tantrums.

Its not just Muslims though, if you look throughout history there have been other societies that have been given an unfavourable press, for example after 1917 the Soviet Union received a bad press (justified or not) till its break up, but Russia still aspires to an independent actor in world affairs hence the generally unfavourable coverage it receives from mainstream western media

China gets the same treatment due to its growing power and influence. Don’t be too surprised if China in the coming years becomes the new ‘Bogeyman’ of the West.

marwen
10-22-2010, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
If people could only stop seeing that muslima as a member of a group (one they don't much like) and instead as an individual human being, life would be much better for everybody.
I can't see how this could entirely solve the problem. Many people simply don't accept (the ideas of) islam in general, whether implemented in individual human beings, or in associated groups. It's true that the practice of islam is different from the true teachings of islam, but knowing this fact will only resolve part of the problem. The other part is the people who don't agree with the original teachings of islam, regardless how muslims are implementing these teachings.

forevermm
10-22-2010, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
I doubt the american FBI would come up with accurate statistics-- it is just a matter of what is reported. Jews are more likely to report crimes against them than Muslims..
again a little knowledge of how stats work should come into play.
The number of rapes is substantially less in a country like Egypt than a country like the U.S .. is it because Egypt just has those upstanding morals weaved into its very fiber? absolutely not. But a Muslim woman or even a christian middle eastern woman is alot less likely to report such a crime (knowing fully what it entails) over an American woman.
Stats mean absolutely nothing unless you know how they work, and for the most part, fools are only too happy to jump over the first website that will echo their personal beliefs rather than have an objective look at what is really going on.

I have heard many similar crimes happening to Muslim Brothers and Sisters. We need to encourage each other to report such crimes and not allow People to get away with acting this way. We all wonder how genocide starts but no one stops and says lets look back at the little things that happened before hand. The name calling the hate crimes gone unreported, and so on.

I myself have been guilty of not reporting a crime mainly because at the time that it happened to me I couldn't believe it. I was pelted with pennies in a New York Subway. I thought the first one was my hijab pin popping out but the second one hit my head and bounced off to hit my shoe. I was so shocked it was then that the car stopped and I got out.

Things like this happen every day and even though some people might think we are making a big deal out of something small but in reality this is how it starts out.

جوري
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM
^^ agree...............

serena77
10-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Salaam
I'm sitting here watching the evening news... and they are talking about the firing of juan williams (NPR) .... i have heard about the firing all day... but didnt hear until tonight what was said. I think NPR did the right thing.... by firing him. To say that if he is on a plane and seeing those in muslim garb makes him uncomfortable..... How can people seriously be this way. Its heartbreaking to me. NPR said what they should have - he can say what he wants but that attitude doesn't belong here ( basically.. .not verbatum ) they later recounted that statement. I just don't get it. I mean i know.. there has seemingly been discrimination of one group or another since long before i was alive in the states... but honestly... i've never understood it.. and w/ more and more anti muslim/anti islamic sentiment ..... it makes even less sense to me. When I was growing up... segregation had already happened... but that didnt mean many ( especially older but not limited too.. ) agreed to it. Now its this.... I just don't ge tit... and the guy is supposed to be LIBERAL? ??? ( just stated on cnn) .....

Sigh....
Allah (swt) willing.... this type of thing will cease, but... i'm worried it won't be in my life time.
Serena

Pygoscelis
10-24-2010, 07:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
I can't see how this could entirely solve the problem. Many people simply don't accept (the ideas of) islam in general, whether implemented in individual human beings, or in associated groups. It's true that the practice of islam is different from the true teachings of islam, but knowing this fact will only resolve part of the problem. The other part is the people who don't agree with the original teachings of islam, regardless how muslims are implementing these teachings.
I don't agree with the teachings of Islam. I'm completely opposed. I'm a secularist and an atheist. But just because I oppose Islam does not mean I must oppose individuals and treat them badly because they happen to agree with it and follow it.

Too many people in the west these days see a woman in a hajib and instantly hate her, as noted above with the person speeding up while she crosses the street etc. My point is that you need not agree with or like or even respect an ideology to treat a practicer of it with proper respect and not hostility. If people could come to see each other as fellow travellers on the road of life instead as members of Team Allah or Team Jesus or whatever, it'd be a much nicer world.

Pygoscelis
10-24-2010, 08:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
Salaam
I'm sitting here watching the evening news... and they are talking about the firing of juan williams (NPR) .... i have heard about the firing all day... but didnt hear until tonight what was said. I think NPR did the right thing.... by firing him. To say that if he is on a plane and seeing those in muslim garb makes him uncomfortable..... How can people seriously be this way. Its heartbreaking to me. NPR said what they should have - he can say what he wants but that attitude doesn't belong here ( basically.. .not verbatum ) they later recounted that statement. I just don't get it. I mean i know.. there has seemingly been discrimination of one group or another since long before i was alive in the states... but honestly... i've never understood it.. and w/ more and more anti muslim/anti islamic sentiment ..... it makes even less sense to me. When I was growing up... segregation had already happened... but that didnt mean many ( especially older but not limited too.. ) agreed to it. Now its this.... I just don't ge tit... and the guy is supposed to be LIBERAL? ??? ( just stated on cnn) .....

Sigh....
Allah (swt) willing.... this type of thing will cease, but... i'm worried it won't be in my life time.
Serena
Its basic tribalism amplified by the media. Somebody doesn't conform to the norm of the society and is seen as different, and therefore as a threat. Us vs Them mentality. The media then amplifies this with reporting demonizing the group and making it even scarier. The fact that there were actually people all scared about the "ground zero mosque" is pretty telling. Islam is the new bogeyman in the US now that communism is no longer much of a threat. Americans needs something to be afraid of ("Them") to unite them. WIth nationalism (which is very much what the US is becoming) there is always hate of the foreigner.

In this environment you can count on the media to ignore peaceful live and let live muslims, and magnify every muslim who does something violent or says something like they want to rule over us and "bring sharia law to rule america". Believe it or not on another message board I frequent people repeatedly make the claim that this is the agenda of every muslim, and that those of you who would say this isn't so are lying, like there is some secret evil conspiracy or something.

sabr*
10-25-2010, 06:27 PM

The point that has not been mentioned is that all the alleged and captured people that were labeled terrorist never wore any Muslim garp. They all blended in within the society.

Would have never suspected them by their clothing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!