/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Ivory Tower

coolAcademe
10-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi, I'm a student at UC Berkeley, currently studying middle eastern history (which is the best name they can really give it even though "Middle East" really isn't well defined). I am personally an atheist, I'm sure that everyone here can respect me as a person even if we don't agree :)

I'm mostly here to get a perspective on Islam from as many Muslims of different backgrounds I can find. I have a basic academic view, a view that I inherited when I was still a fundamentalist Christian, but I don't have a view from Muslims themselves.

(if you're not familiar with the phrase, "Ivory Tower" is often a name given, often not in the most respectful sense, to universities)

Michael/coolAcademe

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
coolAcademe
10-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh, and of course, if I say something inappropriate or not polite, let me know. I will try my best to remain in everyones good graces :)

جوري
10-14-2010, 03:49 PM
:welcome: aboard and enjoy your stay.. we have a quite the vocal atheists on board so even if you can't find much in common with the Muslims, I am sure you'll feel otherwise at home..

all the best

Dagless
10-14-2010, 03:54 PM
Welcome, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Welcome coolAcademe

Hope you enjoy your stay here and learn about the teachings of the beautiful way of Life Islaam!

Peace

PouringRain
10-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

marwen
10-14-2010, 07:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by coolAcademe
Hello from the Ivory Tower
Welcome from the underworld !
;b
hope you love your stay here and have a beneficial time.

sabr*
10-14-2010, 11:28 PM
SALAM Michael/coolAcademe :

when time permits review the rules of the forum it will make an easier transition. GOD WILLING

http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php?..._liforum_rules

The fundamentals of Islam are covered in various stickies. You should receive answer to your questions.

Hopefully substantiated by Quran and Sunna and not opinions.

Ramadhan
10-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the forum, Michael.

May you have a pleasant and beneficial stay. And may Allah SWT gives you guidance. amiin.

coolAcademe
10-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the link. I of course am interested in what the Qur'an says and the fundamentals of Islam, but I am also particularly interested in the interaction between people and the Qur'an, what the Qur'an means to them individually. From what I knew of Christian doctrine, there are of course areas where everyone agrees, but the semantics, even down to what the connotation of the word has for the individual personally, differ somewhat. Is it fair to say that the Qur'an can mean different things to each Muslim personally, that their reaction to the Qur'an is personal? This is a serious question for which I hope I can garnish a serious answer,

Thanks,
Michael

Beardo
10-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Welcome to the Forums! :]

Looks like we have quite a handful of members from UC Berkeley. Nice to see we have these intellectualists. x]

I hope you benefit and find what you're searching for on these forums. :]

coolAcademe
10-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh, and I have a etiquette question. If I, as a non-Muslim, talk about the Prophet Muhammad should I use the... I don't know what to call it, honorific I guess?... pbuh (which I think is "Peace be upon him") or similarly when referring to Allah should I append SWT?

Predator
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by coolAcademe
Oh, and I have a etiquette question. If I, as a non-Muslim, talk about the Prophet Muhammad should I use the... I don't know what to call it, honorific I guess?... pbuh (which I think is "Peace be upon him") or similarly when referring to Allah should I append SWT?
Welcome to the forum, Michael. May you have a pleasant and beneficial stay and May Allah SWT gives you guidance. Amin.

You can use (Peace me Upon Him) for All Prophets right from Prophet Adam not just Prophet Muhammad We believe and rever all the Prophets of Allah and for Allah you can append SWT,

coolAcademe
10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Airforce, that was very helpful :)

Ansariyah
10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Welcome CoolAcademe....

: )

Ansariyah
10-18-2010, 07:24 PM
*******double post

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!