/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Children's Books

yoshikku
10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Hello friends! My name is Jimmy and I am a member of the LDS faith and I attend Brigham Young University in Utah.

I am currently a pre-professional teacher who plans on teaching elementary school kids. For a few classes I have be charged with the task of creating a 5 day lesson plan on anything I wish. I decided it would be really cool if I did a lesson plan on Islam and Muslim culture. I feel that the majority of Muslims are really good people, but because of recent media attention and because of the recent rise in fundamentalism, the good people of Islam have been overlooked. I want kids to grow up with love in their hearts for all people no matter the race and religion and I think the best way for people to love each other is to be educated and realize that Muslims are not so different. And even what makes Muslims different is not bad, except for the extremists.

Anyways for this I wanted to find children's books both picture books and chapter books to use for my lessons. However most of the books I have encountered are books that just list a number of facts or give a very boring story about a Muslim child who lives in America. I was hoping by asking actual Muslims, I might be able to find good children's books, some that you guys might even use with your own children.

Things I would like in the books (and please just list titles and authors):
- Some informational, some historical fiction, and some contemporary realistic fiction
- Information about Islam, Information on Holidays, Information about Culture including dress, food, music, etc
- Books that separate fundamentalism from real Islam
- Books that tell Muslim folktales or Arab folktales (I know of the Arabian Nights, but I am hoping for others)

I hope you guys will be able to help me. Thanks guys!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
10-15-2010, 11:53 PM
There are lots of Islamic children's story books and picture books. however i'm not sure if they are available in the United States and what the quality is like. The few i've seen weren't so well-written.

Almehdi
09-14-2021, 01:06 AM
There is an excellent series of books called Weekend Learning Islamic Studies that covers all the topics and written specifically for North American audience with books from Level Kindergarten to Level 11-12. You can checkout the books at weekendlearning.com (for USA) or weekendlearning.ca / albarakahbooks.com (for Canada)

muslimah002
09-14-2021, 06:37 AM
Hello, Jimmy!

I would recommend checking out books by Saniyasnain Khan! He is a talented children's author and I enjoyed his books when I was in elementary school. I would recommend his "Tell me about..." books especially.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!