/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I attract negative attention

Amoeba
10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Okay, I need help. This has been happening since very early childhood and it's like I have a curse on me.

I have always attracted negative attention. No, not negative male attention (alhamdulilah) but angry attention, threats, abuse, etc from males and females. This started from as early as about five years old. Nobody else I knew had the same effect on people.

So anyway what happens is I can just be walking down the street and there might be some people chatting, then they just stop and stare at me. Then as I pass they just stare coldly and then something might happen as I pass - I get pushed or something poured on me or abuses shouted at me. It doesn't seem like a laughy-jokey thing to them either, it's like they're dead serious and angry. As a small child lots of children were like this towards me, as I get older the age group widened. Alahmdulilah the treatment from adults is comparatively rare but from teenagers and children I still get this abuse a lot. I've also had threats of being beaten and knifed, alhamdulilah the threats have not followed through but I don't know what might happen in the future.

Most of the time there was absolutely no indication of a cause, occasionally there was an indication:

The shape of my face
The shape of my teeth
The fact I don't wear any makeup
The fact I don't dress "trendy"
The fact I am occasionally mistaken for a boy because I don't like skirts, dresses or makeup (I find them all very impractical and skirts especially snag on tree branches and ground vegetation, and you can see up skirts when climbing, or trip over them when sprinting)

None of these things I really think is the cause because they are so trivial. Rather I think they pick them out as an excuse and means to cause grief. Plus none of these things were an issue when I was little but I still got the abuse back then too.

What is the ruling in islam on curses, whether they're possible? Is it possible that I may have some kind of hex placed on me from a very young age? I wouldn't normally resort to such superstitious thinking but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel of ideas for the causes. Funny thing is all I ever try to be is a nice person.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
10-18-2010, 10:26 AM
:sl:

I've felt this way at times too.

What is the ruling in islam on curses, whether they're possible? Is it possible that I may have some kind of hex placed on me from a very young age?
Curses are real, witchcraft is real and so is the evil eye, along with demonic possession and other similar such paranormal phenomenon.

There are entities called jinn who live in a parallel dimension to us. They are part of the unseen world (others also feature as part of the unseen, for example: Allah and his angels). They (the jinn) have freewill just like us and so there'll be muslim and non-muslim jinns.

I would say these beings can be responsible for a lot of the unexplained activity humans may experience. They can see us but we can't see them. They are also able to possess us, possibly even able to travel within our bloodstream.

Those who practise witchcraft (major major sin, takes one out of the fold of Islam) may or may not make use of jinn to cause harm to people. Our Prophet Muhammad Sallalahu Alaihe Wasalam/Peace be upon him was once also, for a brief period of time, a victim of magic.

In saying all this, I don't think you are cursed. :)

There could be another explanation. Allah tests those that he loves more than others. It is said that even a single pricking of a thorn expiates the sins commited by a person. So it may be that Allah has given you all these specific experiences to wipe away your sins in order for you to meet him with a cleaner slate on the day of judgement.

However, back to the curse thing, there are things that if you read/recite it can give you protection against the jinn/shayateen, witchcraft and evil eye.

Ayatul Kursi (verse of the throne), found in the second surah of the Qur'aan, Al Baqarah (v. 255). Here is the arabic.

The Arabic Phonetics are:

Allahu laa ilaha illa huwa, Al -Haiy ul-Qaiyum La ta'khudhuhu sinatu wa la nawm lahu ma fis -samawati wa ma fil-'ard Man dhal-ladhi yashfa'u 'indahu illa bi-idhnihi Ya'lamu ma bayna aydihim wa ma khalfahum wa la yuhituna bi shai'im min 'ilmihi illa bima sha'a Wasi'a kursiyuhus-samawati wal ard wa la ya'uduhu hifdhuhuma wa Hu wal 'Aliyul-Adheem (dh="th" sound.

The English translation:
[In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful] Allah! There is no deity except He, the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber, nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His Permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the Hereafter . And they will never compass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His throne extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great.
The mentioned verse is one of the greatest and most well known ones in regards to protecting ourselves from all evil. People usually make a habit of praying it once in the morning and once before sleeping (also usually once after each of the fardh prayers).

Others that are for protection are the four 'Quls'. These four (short) surahs are found at the end of the Qur'aan and begin with 'Qul' (which translates to 'say' in English), hence why people refer to them as the Quls.

Surah 109, Al Kafiroon (click for Arabic text).
Surah 112, Al Ikhlaas
Surah 113, Al Falak
Surah 114, An Naas

Translations, transliterations:

Surah 109 Al-Kafirun (Those who reject faith)
Bismillahir-Rahmaanir-Rahiim.
In the name of ALLAH, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

1.Qul yaaa-‘ayyuhal-KAAFIRUUN!
Say: O Unbelievers!
2.Laaa ‘a’-budu maa ta’-bu-duun,
I do not serve that which you serve,
3.Wa laaa ‘antum ‘aabiduuna maaa ‘a’-bud.
Nor do you serve Him Whom I serve.
4.Wa laaa ‘ana ‘aabidum-maa ‘abattum,
Nor am I going to.serve tt which you serve
5.Wa laaa ‘antum ‘aabiduuna maaa ‘a’-bud.
Nor are you going to serve Him Whom I serve.
6.Lakum Diinukum wa li-ya Diin.
You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion.

Surah 112 Al Ikhlas (The Purity of Faith)

1.Qul Hu-wallahu ‘ahad;
Say: He is ALLAH, The One and Only;
2.’Allaahus-Samad;
ALLAH is he on Whom all depend.
3.Lam yalid, wa lam yuulad;
He begetteth not, Nor is He Begotten;
4.Walam yakul-la-huu kufu-wan ‘ahad.
And there is none Like unto Him.

Surah 113 Al Falaq (The Daybreak)

1.Q u l ‘a-uuzu bi – Rabbil-Falaq,
Say: I seek refuge With the Lord of the Dawn,
2.Min-sharri maa khalaq,
From the evil of what He has created;
3.Wa min-sharri gaasiqin ‘izaa waqab,
And from the evil of the utterly dark night when it comes;
4.Wa min-sharrin-Naffaasaati fil-‘uqad,
And from the evil of those who blow on knots;
5.Wa min-sharri haasidin ‘izaa hasad.
And from the mischief of the envious one. As he practises envy.

Surah 114 Al-Nas (Mankind)

1.Q u l ‘a-‘uuzu bi-Raabin-NAAS,
Say: I seek refuge with the Lord and Cherisher of Mankind.
2.Malikin-Naas,
The King (or Ruler) Of Mankind,
3.’Illaahin-Naas,
The god of men,
4.Min-sharril-Waswaasil-khan-Naas,
From the evil of the whisperings of the slinking (shaitan),
5.’Allazii yuwas-wisu fii suduu-rin-Naasi,
(The same) who whispers Into the hearts of Mankind-
6.Minal-Jinnati wan-Naas
Among Jinns And among men.
These above 4 surahs (though the last three 112-114 would suffice) are also recited for proetection against all physical and spiritual evil. Usually they are all recited thrice each, morning and evening.

Amoeba
10-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Asalam alaykum,

Ok, thanks for your help. I guess I just have to put up with it. See the words you gave me to say, are they valid if I don't understand what they mean or if I say them wrong? I know the explanation is there but I might only get a vague meaning from them...

Snowflake
10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Asalam alaykum,

Ok, thanks for your help. I guess I just have to put up with it. See the words you gave me to say, are they valid if I don't understand what they mean or if I say them wrong? I know the explanation is there but I might only get a vague meaning from them...
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

They are very short verses sister, so it shouldn't take long to read their meanings. It's better if you understand what you are asking Allah protection against inshaAllah. You mustn't think you have no choice but to put up with that type of behaviour. Allah is Al-Wáli - The Guardian/Protector. Call upon Allah to by His beautiful name and ask for His help alone. Make dhikr a habit. It will become so that you would prefer to be uttering praises of Allah than having a conversation with another human being.

Also you can recite La hawla wa la Quwwata - There is no might or power except with Allah, and/or La ilaha illAllah - There is no deity except Allah when you are walking past people and feel afraid.

Before you go out say:

"بِسْمِ اللهِ، تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلَى اللهِ، وَلَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللهِ".

16. Bismillaahi, tawakkaltu 'alallaahi, wa laa hawla wa laa quwwata ‘ illaa billaah.

In the Name of Allah, I have placed my trust in Allah, there is no might and no power except by Allah.

Reference: Abu Dawud 4/325, At-Tirmithi 5/490. See also Al-Albani, Sahih At-Tirmithi 3/151

When you enter your home recite:

"بِسْمِ اللهِ وَلَجْنَا، وَ بِسْمِ اللهِ خَرَجْنَا، وَعَلَى رَبِّنَا تَوَكَّلْنَا".

18. Bismillaahi walajnaa, wa bismillaahi kharajnaa, wa 'alaaRabblnaa tawakkalnaa

In the Name of Allah we enter , in the Name of Allah we leave , and upon our Lord we depend [then say As-Salaamu 'Alaykum to those present].

Reference: Abu Dawud 4/325. Muslim {Hadith no. 2018) says that one should mention the Name of Allah when entering the home and when beginning to eat; and that the devil, hearing this, says: "There is no shelter for us here tonight and no food."

Before entering toilet: (It is important to seek protection from evil jinns before entering toilet).

"[بِسْمِ اللهِ] اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْخُبُْثِ وَالْخَبَائِثِ".

10. [Bismillaahi] Allaahumma 'innee 'a'oothu bika minal-khubthi walkhabaa'ith.

(Before entering) [In the Name of Allah] . (Then) O Allah , I seek protection in You from the male and female unclean spirits.

Reference: Al-Bukhari 1/45, Muslim 1/283. The addition of Bismillah at its beginning was reported by Said bin Mansur. See Fathul-Bari 1/244

Upon leaving toilet:

"غُفْرَانَكَ".

11. Ghufraanaka

I seek Your forgiveness.

Reference: Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah and At-Tirmithi. An-Nasa'i recorded it in 'Amalul-Yawm wal-Laylah. Also see the checking of Ibn Al-Qayyim's Zadul-Ma'ad, 2/387

Do you have Fortress of the Muslim? It is a small book of duaas of the Quran and Sunnah, and is free from islamic book shops. InshaAllah get one Sister. The duas I posted posted are from that book mashaAllah.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
10-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Wa alaykum asalam....? (I don't know the rest of the greeting sorry)

I've been trying to memorise the first chapter of the Qur'an for prayer for the past two months and I still only know the first 3 lines of it. Do you know where I can find any audios of the words you provided that I may be able to use to help me better pronounce the words and memorise them? What is dikir?

Yeah I have that book, thanks, but the pronunciations elude me. :confused:

Ansariyah
10-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Salam sista

Have u considered moving to somewhere else, the place u live doesn't really sound so safe, I know u didn't mention this but is it possible that these threats/abuse could be due to racism?

May Allah protect u ameen

tango92
10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Wa alaykum asalam....? (I don't know the rest of the greeting sorry)

I've been trying to memorise the first chapter of the Qur'an for prayer for the past two months and I still only know the first 3 lines of it. Do you know where I can find any audios of the words you provided that I may be able to use to help me better pronounce the words and memorise them? What is dikir?

Yeah I have that book, thanks, but the pronunciations elude me. :confused:
sheikh sudais is always a good listen on youtube. (the saudi imam) the taraweeh recitation is a good pace to listen to when trying to memorise. also learning the translation can help if you can match up the arabic words to the english.

also if you really feel people are badly inclined towards you then firstly try to make sure Allah swt is pleased with you, you wouldnt care what other people think then. erm jealousy can also be a cause of this, i dont know why any1 is jealous of any1 to be honest. were all nothing compared to Allah, and the physical differences between us is small.

so yh, hang tough

~Raindrop~
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Have you tried this?
http://www.mounthira.com/

I know someone that uses it and they find it to be really helpful in memorising. You can repeat each ayah as many times as you wish, before you feel confident enough to recite/memorise it yourself, then you click next to go onto the next ayah. it has the main surahs, Ayatul Kursi, duas etc.

Hope it helps, inshaAllah.

Muhaba
10-19-2010, 07:02 PM
I have never heard of curses being real. Witchcraft black magic, and evil eye which is caused by jealousy or wistful feelings to have something another has are real and are verified by Quraan and hadith, so we know they are real. I believe that Surah Al-Falaq shows us which supernatural effects are real and which aren't. for example, some people say that houses can be cursed and even cite a hadith about this, although according to Aisha (R) that hadith had been told incorrectly by the Sahabi Abu Huraira, who only heard part of it. I believe that statement since Surah Al-Falaq doesn't have anything about cursed people or cursed horses or cursed houses, so there is no such thing. anything bad that happens is either fate of the effect of evil eye or black magic, but not some curse.

one way to stop being harassed is to try your best to be a good muslim and pray to Allah for help against these people. I've seen that following Islam properly gives a person awe so others fear and respect them. Also, do dawah.

Cabdullahi
10-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Not another ameoba thread :(....I'm kidding

sister enrol on a judo class and anybody who says anything snap their bones in half!

Amoeba
10-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks everyone for your help inshallah I will try my best to take on all your advice. Much learning required but inshallah it'll be worth it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!