/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Becoming self confident. (new muslims)

Luke90
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
So this is a question to any new Muslims or any of you that live in an area thats not predominantly Muslim.

how long after reverting to Islam did it take you to feel comfortable enough to.

1. Pray in public?

2. feel confident enough in your arabic and be able to recite the Qur'an during Salah?

3. tell your family about your decision?

4. build up the confidence to attend a Mosque?

You can either answer all of those..or just the ones you have answers for, the reason I'm asking is to just get an idea of what other Brothers and Sisters from non-Islamic backgrounds went through after they turned to Islam.

Thanks for reading.
Salaam to you all.
-Luke.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
10-19-2010, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luke90
1. Pray in public?
2. feel confident enough in your arabic and be able to recite the Qur'an during Salah?
3. tell your family about your decision?
4. build up the confidence to attend a Mosque?
1. I have never prayed in a public area (besides a masjid) if that is what you mean
2. I honestly cant remember but it took me quite some time to learn salah
3. I was young when I converted so I never really felt like I needed to hide the fact that I was muslm from my non muslim family, if they asked why I stopped eating pork or etc. I told them bc I was muslim.
4. I didnt have to build confidence to go to masjid I ran to it but I do admit that sometimes our imam's father will speak and my masjid is mainly pakistani and he only speaks i think urdu...idk but I feel very akward and out of place bc everyone obviously understands but me.

Luke90
10-20-2010, 01:33 PM
For me its a little harder to tell my family about becoming Muslim, Their not as 'Liberal' as some, you could say, also I'm probably not as young as you was when you converted (I'm 20).
Praying in public is probably unavoidable for me as I'll not always be able to get to a Mosque, so there will be times when I'm out I'll have to find a quiet spot to pray.
as for actually going to Mosque, it will take me a little time, I wan't to feel confident enough, and have a firm understanding of Islam, so that I'm able to converse with other Brothers and Sisters, also as you said yourself, my local Mosque's community is made up of Minority groups (From Somalians, to Iraqis, to Pakistanis) so, I'd like to at least learn some Chapters of the Qur'an in Arabic (even if its just basic) I'd lke to be able to follow along, I'm probably going to phone them before I attend any way, just to see what language they use, as it's quite mixed there I might be lucky and they might use English as a common language.

Either way, I suppose things are going to take a little time for me, I'd rather ease myself into stuff than run into it head first, on a personal level, converting to Islam is a HUGE step for me, its basically going to change my entire life, so naturally something like that will take a little time, but Insha'Allah, I will get there in the end.

S.Belle
10-25-2010, 01:57 AM
for actually going to Mosque, it will take me a little time, I wan't to feel confident enough, and have a firm understanding of Islam

You know you can just go to masjid and talk to your imam and he will help you to understand Islam more

I'd like to at least learn some Chapters of the Qur'an in Arabic (even if its just basic)
this helps me BIG time it gives the translation, transliteration, and arabic script you should learn Ikhlas its a very powerful surah and extremely simple
http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/ara...Ayat/1/1_1.htm

it's quite mixed there I might be lucky and they might use English as a common language.
since you live in the UK they will most likely speak english my imam's father just does not speak English

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Perseveranze
10-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Every Mosque I've been to in the UK the Imam's there all speak English =) Trust me, just go in and talk to them, they are very understanding and friendly.

Luke90
10-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the help and support!, also thanks for the useful link Mila! :)

Muhammad
10-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Assalaamu Alaykum brother Luke,

Congratulations on reverting to Islam! All praise is for Allaah (swt). :)

Praying in public is probably unavoidable for me as I'll not always be able to get to a Mosque, so there will be times when I'm out I'll have to find a quiet spot to pray.
You are not alone in worrying about praying in public - many Muslims might feel uncomfortable praying in a busy area where non-Muslims will wonder what they are doing. If you try to find a quiet spot like you said, it should be fine.

as for actually going to Mosque, it will take me a little time, I wan't to feel confident enough, and have a firm understanding of Islam, so that I'm able to converse with other Brothers and Sisters, also as you said yourself, my local Mosque's community is made up of Minority groups (From Somalians, to Iraqis, to Pakistanis) so, I'd like to at least learn some Chapters of the Qur'an in Arabic (even if its just basic) I'd lke to be able to follow along, I'm probably going to phone them before I attend any way, just to see what language they use, as it's quite mixed there I might be lucky and they might use English as a common language.
There's really nothing to worry about. The fact that you are a Muslim is enough qualification to go to a Mosque. Don't worry about not knowing enough - everyone's knowledge of Islam is of varying levels. I understand that it might be daunting at first, but there are many Mosques with English-speaking Muslims in the UK and I am sure they will be very understanding and welcoming Inshallah.

Either way, I suppose things are going to take a little time for me, I'd rather ease myself into stuff than run into it head first, on a personal level, converting to Islam is a HUGE step for me, its basically going to change my entire life, so naturally something like that will take a little time, but Insha'Allah, I will get there in the end.
That's completely understandable... take your time and keep going. May Allaah (swt) make it easy for you and keep you steadfast, Aameen! If you need any help, please do let us know.

P.S. Things might become easier once you make friends with Muslims in your local area... they may be able to help you out with things you are struggling with and give you general advice and support. So, be brave and go visit that Mosque! :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!