PDA

View Full Version : SCORE: Horses-100 Woodrow-0



Woodrow
10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Just want to post a somewhat humorous anecdote about my past week. As some already know I have been busy moving my horses to their winter home. While I do have considerable experience with full size horses I am a bit of a newbie with miniatures. Last year we began adding mini's to our stock. I can not believe how strong those little rascals are. This story is about my battle with moving 3 from Bismarck to pasturage in Zeeland.

The cast of Characters:

Reflections - a Tovero Stallion

reflection03r 1 -

and the Mares:

Precious Delight-a Sabino Overo Mare

precious 1 -

Sugar Bay-Full Sister to Precious looks identical but does not have the white blaze on her face, no picture of her yet

To keep the minis from being hurt by the full size horses I spent the day Saturday building a separate pen for the mares 600 feet on each side, two rows of Braided electric fence rope:

BXJ34 1 -

Total of 4,800 feet electric rope, plus fiber glass fence posts every 20 feet (120 posts) and a 50,000 volt Fi-Shock Fence Charger.

Sunday went to Bismarck to get the mares, they did not want to go in the trailer. Discovered then how strong these little rascals are. Got dragged several hundred feet by Precious after I managed to get a rope on her. Got pretty well kicked and stomped on by Sugar and gave up trying to get a rope on her. After 8 hours of fighting with them I gave up.

Fifteen minutes later the little munchkins got nosey and walked into the trailer by themselves.

Monday I put them in their new pen. They decided they wanted to be with the big horses and ran full gallop into my fencing, dragging all the fence rope, about 60 of the posts and the fence charger out into the large pasture. They are getting along fine with the big horses except a few of the big horses seem to be scared of them.

Tuesday I got Reflections here. He saw our Big Stallion Champs and has it in his mind he wants to kill Champs. Now have Reflections locked in the trailer, until I can get an Elephant proof fence built to hold him.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
10-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Haha!
Better luck next time, Woodrow.
Looks like you're beaten good and proper!
Reply

sister herb
10-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Poor uncle Woodrow. Take some warm cookies and glass of milk to recover first... and then back to battle field.

:phew
Reply

Ramadhan
10-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Woww... who knew those minis can be such characters!
i always thought they were very timid because of their sizes
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Beardo
10-21-2010, 04:08 AM
LOL! Wonderful story, Grandpa.

I can't exactly relate as I've always been a little scared of horses. o_O

But I love them because my geology professor canceled class next week because she's going out on a Horse Championship or something in Texas.

But yah. xP
Reply

Woodrow
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Rashad
LOL! Wonderful story, Grandpa.

I can't exactly relate as I've always been a little scared of horses. o_O

But I love them because my geology professor canceled class next week because she's going out on a Horse Championship or something in Texas.

But yah. xP
:sl:

A bit of fear of horses is a good thing. A horse is not a creature to just walk up to and try to ride. A person does need to have some training in how to ride and work with a horse. Horses can be very frightening. On more than one occasion I have been quite terrified walking into a pen with an untrained horse and attempting to put a bridle and lead rope on it. It takes quite a bit of experience and some training to know how to handle a horse without yourself or the horse or both getting hurt.

I never approach a strange and untrained horse without first planning a route for a very fast exit if need be. A horse can be very dangerous, but a well trained horse is an excellent companion and very safe.
Reply

Beardo
10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
:sl:

A bit of fear of horses is a good thing. A horse is not a creature to just walk up to and try to ride. A person does need to have some training in how to ride and work with a horse. Horses can be very frightening. On more than one occasion I have been quite terrified walking into a pen with an untrained horse and attempting to put a bridle and lead rope on it. It takes quite a bit of experience and some training to know how to handle a horse without yourself or the horse or both getting hurt.

I never approach a strange and untrained horse without first planning a route for a very fast exit if need be. A horse can be very dangerous, but a well trained horse is an excellent companion and very safe.
I remember I was at my cousin's house, and they were watching "Princess Diaries" or some chick movie like that. Anyhow, I only remember watching one portion [the only 'clean' scene]... So the princess got on the horse and the horse saw a snake and threw the princess off its back.

So now everytime I see a horse, I'm scared that it'll get scared etc.

Not to mention my general fear of every living creatures except for a hand countable amount of species. It's something I should try to rid of, because we should only be fearing Allah Ta'ala.
Reply

glo
10-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by sister harb
Poor uncle Woodrow. Take some warm cookies and glass of milk to recover first... and then back to battle field.

:phew
Are the cookies and milk meant for Woodrow or the horses?? :giggling:
Reply

Woodrow
10-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Rashad
I remember I was at my cousin's house, and they were watching "Princess Diaries" or some chick movie like that. Anyhow, I only remember watching one portion [the only 'clean' scene]... So the princess got on the horse and the horse saw a snake and threw the princess off its back.

So now everytime I see a horse, I'm scared that it'll get scared etc.

Not to mention my general fear of every living creatures except for a hand countable amount of species. It's something I should try to rid of, because we should only be fearing Allah Ta'ala.
Fears can become quite burdensome and limit our lives. I learned that to approach ones fears and do what is needed opens many new doors. As a child I was afraid of heights, so I became a pilot and took up mountain climbing. I was afraid of dogs, so I became a dog trainer and wolf rehabilitationist. I was afraid of snakes so while in college I took on a part time job as a herpetologist. I was afraid of small tight confined spaces, so spelunking became another of my hobbies. I was timid and feared speaking to groups, so I took on jobs that required public speaking. The only way to eliminate needless fear is to face them head on and do them knowing that Allaah(swt) will give you the means to do what needs to be done no matter how much fear you have. Facing fears and not letting them close doors to you, opens up many new things in life. Fear only Allaah(swt) and don't worry about the small stuff.

Things in this life can can not harm you, even if they destroy your body. This material body is only temporary and before you know it, it will be used up.
Reply

Beardo
10-21-2010, 08:26 PM
^ Those were the most insightful words I've probably ever read. - saved and documented -

May Allah Ta'ala only increase you in life, wisdom, health, prosperity, and piety. Ameen!
Reply

Woodrow
10-22-2010, 01:03 AM
After spending most of last night and all of today building a mini proof pen, I turned Reflectiuons loose in it. It should have been able to hold back a rampaging Rhino. 3 rows of electric rope fencing with 50,000 volts, 4 rows of smooth steel fence wire, fence posts 5 feet apart. It held Reflections for 30 seconds at the most. I was worried he was going to get hurt by the standard sized horses. He has them terrorized. Last time I looked he had them all rounded up in a small herd and was running around them like a sheep dog and not letting them move.
Reply

titus
10-25-2010, 07:03 AM
When I picture you getting assaulted by animals I think more along the lines of mean rodeo bulls like "Bodacious", "Black Eye", or "Phantom".

Not "Precious" and "Sugar".

Next time, Woodrow, I would at least make up some more intimidating names.
Reply

Woodrow
10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by titus
When I picture you getting assaulted by animals I think more along the lines of mean rodeo bulls like "Bodacious", "Black Eye", or "Phantom".

Not "Precious" and "Sugar".

Next time, Woodrow, I would at least make up some more intimidating names.
Don't worry, I am certain that out of the 9, two year olds, I have to move from the pasture in Wishek, down closer, so I can halter train them, will meet your expectations. So far none of those 9 are named. they have had virtually no human contact and are a bit of a wild bunch. But, those will be a whole new story. This thread is about 3 of our minis.
Reply

piXie
10-26-2010, 12:42 PM
:sl:

Beautiful horses masha' Allaah. I lovee horses.

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Facing fears and not letting them close doors to you, opens up many new things in life.
Very wise advise unc woody but... when it comes to creepy crawlies.. Nooo way. I prefer to close as many doors between me and them. esp. fat scurrying lizards. urrgh.. :cry:
Reply

Woodrow
10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
The minis won, I surrendered. Here they are running around with the big horses. they took the place over.

IMG 5654 1 -

IMG 5666 1 -

IMG 5665 1 -

In a few weeks we are bringing up 2 more mini mares and the Llama. I am not even going to try to separate them from the big horses.
Reply

sister herb
10-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by glo
Are the cookies and milk meant for Woodrow or the horses?? :giggling:
After reading the whole story and specially the last post... definitely to Woodrow!
Reply

*charisma*
10-27-2010, 05:32 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Mashallah what gorgoeus horses!! Horses are such beautiful creatures when they are timid, I don't have much experience with them, but the experience I have had with them was really rewarding. They seem like empathetic creatures to me (:

I would love to own a few horses someday! Of course I'd have to have someone else handle them if they're wild like that :D Inshallah you won't get injured! May allah keep you safe ameen!

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
Reply

titus
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
A wise man knows when to give up.
Reply

glo
10-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Oh, I'd love some of the llama fibre for spinning and knitting, Woodrow!!
Reply

Woodrow
10-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Oh, I'd love some of the llama fibre for spinning and knitting, Woodrow!!
We were planning to leave today to go down to South Dakota to get the Llama and the other 2 minis. But this is what we woke up to:

Just now took these pictures. Last night was quite fierce winds were about 60 MPH and like always the electricity went out for most of the night.


IMG 5667 1 -

IMG 5669 1 -

This is our Llama, who is still in SD

IMG 4599 1 -

The roads will be impassable for at least a few days.
Reply

IslamicRevival
10-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Fears can become quite burdensome and limit our lives. I learned that to approach ones fears and do what is needed opens many new doors. As a child I was afraid of heights, so I became a pilot and took up mountain climbing. I was afraid of dogs, so I became a dog trainer and wolf rehabilitationist. I was afraid of snakes so while in college I took on a part time job as a herpetologist. I was afraid of small tight confined spaces, so spelunking became another of my hobbies. I was timid and feared speaking to groups, so I took on jobs that required public speaking. The only way to eliminate needless fear is to face them head on and do them knowing that Allaah(swt) will give you the means to do what needs to be done no matter how much fear you have. Facing fears and not letting them close doors to you, opens up many new things in life. Fear only Allaah(swt) and don't worry about the small stuff.

Things in this life can can not harm you, even if they destroy your body. This material body is only temporary and before you know it, it will be used up.
Incredible post, Just incredible

Thank You brother Woodrow
Reply

glo
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM
What's undesirable about that llama's colouring? S/he looks PERFECT to me!

I love knitting. I always have a knitting project on the go ...
But there is nothing quite like handspun natural fibre! :statisfie
Reply

Woodrow
10-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by glo
What's undesirable about that llama's colouring? S/he looks PERFECT to me!

I love knitting. I always have a knitting project on the go ...
But there is nothing quite like handspun natural fibre! :statisfie
The owner did not like the color. I'm happy he thought it was undesirable, I got the Llama very cheap because of that.
Reply

glo
11-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Do you have to shear llamas?
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Do you have to shear llamas?
You don't have too, but it is a waste of the fiber if you don't as they will shed it in warm weather.
Reply

tango92
11-02-2010, 08:20 PM
man that llama looks tasty at any rate
Reply

S.Belle
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM
WOW that is alot of snow...or jack wax yum!
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by tango92
man that llama looks tasty at any rate
Now I have to find a way to convince my dear Brother that Llamas are haram to eat. Maybe if I do a google search I can find enough stuff to present as evidence and convince him they are a variety of long neck pigs.
Reply

Woodrow
11-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Last Thursday, the day after our blizzard somebody smashed through the gate of the horse pen and scattered all of the horses. I found the big horse pretty easily. but there was no sign of the minis. It appeared they had been stolen. I put up notices in our one store and filling station and notified the sheriff's dept. On Saturday we got reports of hunters having seen them But over the weekend the weather was too bad to search for them. Yesterday we rented a plane and after 4 hours flying we found them about 3 miles from home. I drove out to them with the jeep. reflections came to me, but the mares scattered. I put a lead rope on reflections and tied him to the jeep. I started driving back to the pen and the mares followed. all looked good. But when I got within 1/2 mile of the pen something spooked the mares and Reflections panicked Some how he got to the side of the jeep and got the lead rope tangled in the tire. I stopped. Poor reflections was pulled nearly under the jeep. I attached another lead to him and cut the tangled lead. He bolted and ren to the mares. they are again about 3 miles from the pen, but now I know where they are and am feeding them there until I can calm the mares down more. Then I will try again.
Reply

Ramadhan
11-04-2010, 03:22 AM
^^
Fascinating. your life is so full of adventures, it's like straight out from storybooks, and I can only admire and enjoy reading yours.

Please update us some more.

Jazakallah
Reply

sister herb
11-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Last Thursday, the day after our blizzard somebody smashed through the gate of the horse pen and scattered all of the horses. I found the big horse pretty easily. but there was no sign of the minis. It appeared they had been stolen.
Stolen??? After reading how much extra work and troubles those little... horses have caused, I really wonder who would be so masochistic against himself that he wants to get some of them to his own...

;D
Reply

Woodrow
11-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by sister harb
Stolen??? After reading how much extra work and troubles those little... horses have caused, I really wonder who would be so masochistic against himself that he wants to get some of them to his own...

;D
:sl:

We finaly got them back yesterday. Had to ren the plane for a few more hours, hire a bunch of people get the sheriff's dept involved again. But got the little critters back.

I don't even want to think of the amount it cost.

I have to keep reminding myself that once we start getting foals to sell from them they will be bringing in an income.
Reply

glo
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Oh my goodness, Woodrow.
It's like the Wild West in your neck of the woods! :D
Reply

Woodrow
11-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Oh my goodness, Woodrow.
It's like the Wild West in your neck of the woods! :D
We are not quite that modern yet. I think many here are still waiting for General Custer and the 7th Cavalry to attack us. Ironically Custer' last Headquarters post is not very far from where I live and it is now part of the Mandan reservation and the old buildings are now homes for Native Americans.
Reply

tango92
11-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Now I have to find a way to convince my dear Brother that Llamas are haram to eat. Maybe if I do a google search I can find enough stuff to present as evidence and convince him they are a variety of long neck pigs.
this brother wont fall for cheap tricks! inshallah!
my beloved uncle should thank Allah I am nowhere near his Llamas.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!