/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I sinning?

anonymous
10-20-2010, 05:02 PM
about a year ago my step dad adopted me and I was given his last name and mom told me to basically start calling him dad. My mom wanted me to call him dad simply because my lil bro (who is his blood son) started to call my step dad by his name like i do.
My step dad accepts and treats me like I am his own child and i have no problem calling him dad because he is more of a dad to me than my blood father.
So recently I read this hadith

Narated By Abu Dhar : The Prophet said, "If somebody claims to be the son of any other than his real father knowingly, he but disbelieves in Allah, and if somebody claims to belong to some folk to whom he does not belong, let such a person take his place in the (Hell) Fire."

So by him giving me his last name and me calling him dad am I sinning?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
I think it's best to ask a scholar, maybe try Islam Q/A website or something. Allah says in Surah Al-Ahzab to call children by their father's name (son of x) and if you don't know the father's name, then to call them as brothers in Islam. So with this ruling, Zaid Bin Harris (the adopted son of Prophet Muhammad SAW) started being called Zaid bin harris instead of Zaid bin Muhammad, which he used to be called according to arab tradition. however, i don't know about last names.

al Amaanah
10-20-2010, 11:51 PM
:salamext:

this is what i could find, dont know whether its helpful but check it out wAllaho a3lam.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1041

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/6195

:w:

Hayaa
10-21-2010, 06:27 AM
:sl: InshaAllaah the following link should be of some use: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=266&CATE=87

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
10-21-2010, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
about a year ago my step dad adopted me and I was given his last name and mom told me to basically start calling him dad. My mom wanted me to call him dad simply because my lil bro (who is his blood son) started to call my step dad by his name like i do.
My step dad accepts and treats me like I am his own child and i have no problem calling him dad because he is more of a dad to me than my blood father.
So recently I read this hadith

Narated By Abu Dhar : The Prophet said, "If somebody claims to be the son of any other than his real father knowingly, he but disbelieves in Allah, and if somebody claims to belong to some folk to whom he does not belong, let such a person take his place in the (Hell) Fire."

So by him giving me his last name and me calling him dad am I sinning?
Asalaamu Alaikum, i have asked my Sheikh (scholar) Mufti Yusuf Mullan regarding your question and he replied:

Tell the person that the hadith is talking about actually falsley "claiming" another to be one's father which is deception. This doesn't apply in your case. It would be appropriate for you to call him dad as your mother wishes, insha Allah.

Therefore you can call him father as your mother wishes.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

anonymous
10-23-2010, 12:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
i don't know about last names.
but wouldnt the modern replacement of Son of X be considered the last name?
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
salaamu Alaikum, i have asked my Sheikh (scholar) Mufti Yusuf Mullan regarding your question and he replied: Tell the person that the hadith is talking about actually falsley "claiming" another to be one's father which is deception. This doesn't apply in your case. It would be appropriate for you to call him dad as your mother wishes, insha Allah. Therefore you can call him father as your mother wishes. And Allah knows best in all matters.

Wow thank you soooo much
I have another question also since he is not my real father do I have to observe veil in his presence?

Thank you all so much for your replies they have helped
may Allah Bless you all and raise you high in ranks Inshallah

Hamza Asadullah
10-23-2010, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
but wouldnt the modern replacement of Son of X be considered the last name?

Wow thank you soooo much
I have another question also since he is not my real father do I have to observe veil in his presence?

Thank you all so much for your replies they have helped
may Allah Bless you all and raise you high in ranks Inshallah
Asalaamu Alaikum, Yes my sister you do have to observe hijaab in front of your father in law. Here is a more detailed question and answer in regards to child adoption:

Question: I have been married for 10 years and don't have kids. Can I adopt the kid of my brother or my wife's sister?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer by Sheikh Muft Ebrahim Desai: If by adoption is meant that you take a poor child and look after his boarding, lodging and clothing, Islam has always stressed the importance of helping the poor and needy people. One can always give charity and fatherly love to the child. It is reported in a hadith that the one who assumes responsibility for the wellbeing of an orphan will be granted the nearness of Nabi in Jannat (Mishkaat). This is an extremely neglected Sunnat of our beloved Nabi and we should definitely aspire in this direction.

However, we must uphold the framework of the Shariah in doing so. One cannot legally adopt; you cannot give your name to the child. Legal adoption like this is prohibited in Islam. If a person legally adopts a child there can be several complications. Firstly, the child will lose his identity. Secondly, suppose after adopting a child one has children of his own. It is natural that in such a situation you will show bias in favor of your own blood child. Thirdly, if the child born to you is of the opposite sex to the adopted child, they cannot freely stay in the same home because they aren't blood related to each other. When the adopted child, a girl, grows up, she has to observe hijab with the adopted father as he is not her real father. If the boy becomes a man and marries, there will be hijab between the so called father and daughter-in-law. If you adopt a child you will be depriving him/her of many rights. If a person dies, the property that he leaves behind has to be divided according to what is mentioned in the Qur'an. If the person has children and if he legally adopted a child, he will be depriving his own child of his legitimate inheritance. If a person has no children when he dies, then his wife will get 1/4 the estate. If there are children she gets 1/8. Again the adopted child will reduce the share of the mother should this child be considered legally legitimate. To avoid all these complications, legal adoption is prohibited in Islam. However this should in no way dissuade us from earning tremendous reward by taking care of orphan children.

Source: http://www.albalagh.net/qa/child_adoption.shtml

If the mother was your biological mother and she re-married and consumated the marriage then your step father would be your mahram and it would be permissable for you to take your hijaab off in front of him but if in the case of an adopted daughter who's mother or father were not the biological parents then she would have to cover in front of her adopted father once she reaches maturity. The step brothers are strangers to her so she would have to cover in front of them at all times so if she does step brothers who have reached maturity then she should cover at all times to avoid her step brothers seeing her without hijaab.

And Allah knows best in all matters

piXie
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Just for clarification; If the Mother is your biological mother, then this man (i.e. your step father) whom she has married becomes your Mahram like your biological father is your mahram (forbidden to you in marriage forever). Therefore, you do not have to wear the veil or head scarf in front of him.

Allaah swt says in surah An Nisa verse 23:

"Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your fathers sisters, your mothers sisters, your brothers daughters, your sisters daughters, your foster mother who suckled you, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives mothers, your step daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have entered upon – but there is no sin on you if you have not entered upon them (for you to marry their daughters), - the wives of your sons who (are offsprings) from your own loins, the two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; Verily, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

The condition from the verse of the Qur’aan for the prohibition of the step daughter is only after the husband has consummated his marriage with his wife in a valid marriage, otherwise this prohibition is not established. [Fiqh of marriage and Divorce taught by Sheikh Tawfique Chowdhury]

Even if the mother was your biological mother and she re-married then you would still need to cover in front of your step father once you reach maturity.
Maybe what brother Hamza is referring to here is Hayaa (Modesty) such as wearing loose clothes, long sleeves, covering the front. This type of covering and shyness should be maintained even infront of our mahrams, as we see through the example of Fatima (ra) infront of her father Muhammad :arabic5:.

And Allaah swt knows best.

Hamza Asadullah
10-28-2010, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie

Just for clarification; If the Mother is your biological mother, then this man (i.e. your step father) whom she has married becomes your Mahram like your biological father is your mahram (forbidden to you in marriage forever). Therefore, you do not have to wear the veil or head scarf in front of him.

Allaah swt says in surah An Nisa verse 23:

"Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your fathers sisters, your mothers sisters, your brothers daughters, your sisters daughters, your foster mother who suckled you, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives mothers, your step daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have entered upon – but there is no sin on you if you have not entered upon them (for you to marry their daughters), - the wives of your sons who (are offsprings) from your own loins, the two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; Verily, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."

The condition from the verse of the Qur’aan for the prohibition of the step daughter is only after the husband has consummated his marriage with his wife in a valid marriage, otherwise this prohibition is not established. [Fiqh of marriage and Divorce taught by Sheikh Tawfique Chowdhury]

Maybe what brother Hamza is referring to here is Hayaa (Modesty) such as wearing loose clothes, long sleeves, covering the front. This type of covering and shyness should be maintained even infront of our mahrams, as we see through the example of Fatima (ra) infront of her father Muhammad :arabic5:.

And Allaah swt knows best.
Asalaamu Alaikum and Jazakallahu khayran for the clarification. I would have edited my last post to that of the following:

If the mother was your biological mother and she re-married and consumated the marriage then your step father would be your mahram and it would be permissable for you to take your hijaab off in front of him but if in the case of an adopted daughter who's mother or father were not the biological parents then she would have to cover in front of her adopted father once she reaches maturity. The step brothers are strangers to her so she would have to cover in front of them at all times so if she does step brothers who have reached maturity then she should cover at all times to avoid her step brothers seeing her without hijaab.

And Allah knows best in all matters

piXie
10-28-2010, 05:47 PM
:w:

I was not sure of the ruling on step brothers so Jazak Allaah Khayr for clarifying that. I also found this on islamqa; Posting it here for others to benefit..

Son marrying his father’s stepdaughter

Is it haram to marry my step-sister who was raised by my biological father and step-mother i feel kind of odd in this situation,considering my father and stepmom already have a child ,would this confuse the lineage if her and i were to get married and have a child too? and Sheik do we find this practice in the way of our Salaf ul sali?.

Praise be to Allaah.

The daughter of your father’s wife is known as your father’s stepdaughter, and she is a mahram for your father only, if he has consummated the marriage with her mother, whether he brought her up himself or she is an adult and he did not bring her up. This is the view of the majority of the earlier and later scholars, and is the view of the four imams. When mentioning the women who are mahrams for men, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your father’s sisters, your mother’s sisters, your brother’s daughters, your sister’s daughters, your foster mothers who gave you suck, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives’ mothers, your stepdaughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have gone in — but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in them (to marry their daughters), — the wives of your sons who (spring) from your own loins, and two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; verily, Allaah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Nisa’ 4:23]

But with regard to you, this stepdaughter is not a mahram for the son of her mother’s husband, so it is permissible for you to marry her, and there is no problem in that.

The Standing Committee was asked about marrying the daughter of the father’s wife. They replied:

It is permissible for the son of the man mentioned to marry the daughter of the woman mentioned, even if his father is married to her mother. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“All others are lawful”

[al-Nisa’ 4:24]

The girl mentioned is not one of the mahrams listed in this verse, or in the Sunnah.

Al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/600

And Allaah knows best.
Link: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/33711/marr...0step%20father

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!