/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fishy Tomatoes?

~Raindrop~
10-22-2010, 11:18 PM
:sl:

I was listening to one of Shaikh Zahir's talks today and he mentioned that in GM tomatoes, they inject (or somehow insert) the gene of some fish.

Do they do this for other fruits too? Or just tomatoes? :><:

In the past few years, I've had allergic reactions to more and more non-organic fruits, and I have a fish allergy so I wondered if this was the case.. :><: or maybe it's just a coincidence.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
10-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Rat and human genes in trout +o(
Spider genes in goats
Human genes in corn or rice +o(
Mouse and human genes in potatoes +o(
Fish genes in tomatoes
Cow or human genes in salmon
somewhere around 70% of the food that is found in a grocery store has been genetically modified in some way (corn in corn flakes, etc.)

A good example of genetically modified foods are strawberries. A number of years ago, some scientists somewhere spliced a gene into strawberries from a fish - Arctic Char. This fish lives in water in the Arctic that is -1 degree celcius. The water is salt water, and so is not frozen at that temperature. But the water inside the fish is not salt water, so at that temperature the fish itself should freeze. (remember that fishes are exothermic).

The gene responsible for this - called an antifreeze gene, was spliced into strawberries to allow strawberries to be grown in colder climates, and for longer in the year (earlier in spring, later in fall).
http://www.gmofreemendo.com/whatgmo.html

~Raindrop~
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
:muddlehea

I think I'll just stick to organic, or grow my own.

Rat, mouse, spider and human genes... sounds like a twisted Halloween joke +o(

Cabdullahi
10-23-2010, 11:47 PM
No wonder some people are starting to look a bit ratty,mousy and spidery

audhubillah.....the best place to live is in the village preferably back home where every thing is fresh.....

The city is one big test bed and we're the mice

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Indunisiy
10-25-2010, 10:27 AM
:sl:

http://www.skepdic.com/organic.html

I think Skeptic's Dictionary is a good place to dispell some urban myths and superstitions(though I'm well aware of some drawbacks from it) or atleast get a skeptic's view of them.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!