/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What's scary?

*charisma*
10-23-2010, 05:42 AM
Assalamu alaikum

Dunno if there's a thread about this already or not, but ANYWAYS!

What are some of your biggest fears? What creeps you out? Got any phobias??

And no one's allowed to kill this thread by giving some smart reply like "I fear Allah" ...:anger: *got my eyes on you* ..we all should fear Allah inshallah :p so, other than that, what are some of your fears?

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
10-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Tbh, I've been thinking about old age and death recently...

Yanal
10-23-2010, 06:00 AM
:sl:

I believe mine is called Acrophobia.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-23-2010, 06:02 AM

Women. Scary as anything. Especially when they get mad and try to play it off as if they're not and they tilt their head with the hands on their hips and start saying words such as "FINE." or "WHATEVER." and/or accompanied by what's known as the "loud sigh". Sometimes, it's just that deadly silence that emanates from them accompanied by random glares and the feeling of being watched.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
10-23-2010, 06:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad

Women. Scary as anything. Especially when they get mad and try to play it off as if they're not and they tilt their head with the hands on their hips and start saying words such as "FINE." or "WHATEVER." and/or accompanied by what's known as the "loud sigh". Sometimes, it's just that deadly silence that emanates from them accompanied by random glares and the feeling of being watched.
And we wonder why there are people liking the same gender.

Men also have their own ways of expressing their emotions... I think.

I think when you're married, your emotions start showing their true colors. Until then, you sort of bottle them up... Does that make sense?

And btw, you seem to know a lot about the psychology of women. Seems like someone has been doing some OBSERVATIONS....

*charisma*
10-23-2010, 06:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal

Fear of heights?? I think this is a common one..another common one is arachnophobia (fear of spiders) which I feel is more common with men than it is with women for some reason haha.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muraad

I'm so with you on that one, but if they talk I think you're on the safe side..it's when they're quiet that you should be scared :D..
and subhanallah from my experiences the scariest and yet safest feeling woman is mommy...scary when she gives the "mom stare" like you better put those chocolates down before fire zaps out of my eyes and burns your hands off...:X

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Tbh, I've been thinking about old age and death recently...
Me too..I honestly feel old sometimes, like time is running out. Time is flying by so fast these days!

And btw, you seem to know a lot about the psychology of women. Seems like someone has been doing some OBSERVATIONS....
Aint that the truth! He had it down to the glares! :D

Hayaa
10-23-2010, 06:50 AM

1. Slimy, crawly, creepy creatures *shudder* D:
2. Pride (as the Prophet pbuh stated that whosoever has even an atom of pride in their heart will not enter Paradise) D:

Two for now, though I'm sure there are others..

Amoeba
10-23-2010, 09:21 AM
*NEWSFLASH* Women actually are the same species as men and don't fall in line to a set of man-made stereotypes!

Alpha Dude
10-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey, don't come up with excuses for what you are..

marwen
10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
^ wow that's scary, Rashad !

Well back to the topic. I'm always scared that I might die suddenly. It's not because I fear death, but because I'm not totally "clean" with Allah, so I'm scared that I may not have "husn al Khatima" (good ending).

I'm also scared of high places.

S_87
10-23-2010, 01:40 PM
i have a deep fear of vomitting <_<

@ Muraad- one of the best parts of being mad with a man is showing it by saying youre not accompanied with the sigh/glare/deadly eyes :hiding:

Asiyah3
10-23-2010, 01:47 PM

Spiders, drunk people and when outside at night.

serena77
10-23-2010, 01:51 PM
bees, wasps, spiders and hornets...
but on a different level -
losing the control i do have on my bipolar disorder... sometimes that control isnt at its best... .but to this point i've been able to work and be productive... ending up even short time in a hospital due to it... or .... unable to work terrify me a lot of the time.
Serena

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Carcinophobia, bathophobia and hydrophobia. :scared::scared::scared:

Amoeba
10-23-2010, 02:40 PM
I second Runaway's fear, drunk people. They make me terribly uneasy and always set me on red alert. And make me walk away really really fast.

~Raindrop~
10-23-2010, 03:23 PM
1. Icy places, be it flat non-slippery ground or other.
2. Coming down a not-very-steep-but-still-looks-steep-from-the-top hill. Steep ones are impossible.

I actually have panic attacks, forget how to breathe properly and feel like I'm going to faint in those 2 instances :><:

Woodrow
10-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Fears are something we all have. Why we have different fears is based upon our experiences and what we have been told. But fears need not be debilitating or without value. As we learn our fears and strive to overcome them, we grow and open marvelous new doors.

Fear is a tool that, when attached to something that can harm us, will prevent us from being hurt. those are actual fears and the easiest to overcome. to overcome those we need only learn how to keep from being harmed by the thing that causes us fear. This is done by educating our selves.

The worse fears are the unrealistic fears. Those are fears of things we should have no fear of and they can not possibly harm us, yet we fear them. These are the true phobias. They can be overcome, but it usually takes becoming desensitized to them.

To overcome a fear learn and understand if a fear is realistic. If it is realistic, learn all you can about it and learn how to be safe if you encounter it. Use the fear as a prod to learn. Knowledge is the key to conquering fear.

While I have managed to conquer the real fears I am aware of having had. I still do harbor a few unrealistic fears and am still fighting them. Some of the more ridiculous ones are:

Fear of driving at dusk or twilight

Fear of being in a crowd of people

Fear of escalators

Fear of taking any medications for any purpose

*charisma*
10-23-2010, 07:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Fears are something we all have. Why we have different fears is based upon our experiences and what we have been told. But fears need not be debilitating or without value. As we learn our fears and strive to overcome them, we grow and open marvelous new doors.

Fear is a tool that, when attached to something that can harm us, will prevent us from being hurt. those are actual fears and the easiest to overcome. to overcome those we need only learn how to keep from being harmed by the thing that causes us fear. This is done by educating our selves.

The worse fears are the unrealistic fears. Those are fears of things we should have no fear of and they can not possibly harm us, yet we fear them. These are the true phobias. They can be overcome, but it usually takes becoming desensitized to them.

To overcome a fear learn and understand if a fear is realistic. If it is realistic, learn all you can about it and learn how to be safe if you encounter it. Use the fear as a prod to learn. Knowledge is the key to conquering fear.

While I have managed to conquer the real fears I am aware of having had. I still do harbor a few unrealistic fears and am still fighting them. Some of the more ridiculous ones are:

Fear of driving at dusk or twilight

Fear of being in a crowd of people

Fear of escalators

Fear of taking any medications for any purpose
That is very true subhanallah. If I recall correctly, I believe you mentioned somewhere on this forum that you used to have several fears before, one of them (I can't recall the rest) was being afraid of heights, so you decided to take flying lessons in order to conquer your fear?? I remember reading that sometime ago and finding it an inspiration, so jazak allahu khair for having shared that.

'Abd-al Latif
10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
:salamext:

marwen
10-23-2010, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif

What is that ... tthing ? :scared: is it a spider ?

'Abd-al Latif
10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
Lovely isn't it? Have you noticed that its antennas are longer then its legs? I wonder how many legs it has...

Abdul-Raouf
10-23-2010, 07:50 PM
No Creation should conclude that im feared of it/him/her/ or any other creation...........thats how i want to be....May ALLAH help me...Insha'allah.

Heard of an islamic saying....When your Fear and Obey ALLAH, the other Creations Fears You and Obeys you(ALLAH make them).

I hope... I did not reveal any fear factors :)

Asiyah3
10-23-2010, 07:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Heard of an islamic saying....When your Fear and Obey ALLAH, the other Creations Fears You and Obeys you(ALLAH make them).
Jazakallah for sharing that. A very beautiful saying masha'Allah.

Maryan0
10-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I have alot of fears but none so debilitating that I would call it a phobia. I'm afraid of lions, heights, and bees. I dont have alot of contact with lions where I live and while I dont like heights I can deal with it but I would run for my life if a bee or wasp came near me.
Salam

marwen
10-23-2010, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Lovely isn't it? Have you noticed that its antennas are longer then its legs? I wonder how many legs it has...
LOL, very lovely :°{
I dunno, I think he has 20 LEGS ! (wow) + 2 antennas, so he's not a spider, I'll let you give him a name. A spider should only have 8 and no antennas, right ?

noorseeker
10-23-2010, 08:27 PM
i have fear or anxiety of talking in public , and fear of people looking and talking about me

Do i fear Allah swt ? Truth is i dont , MayAllah swt give me the tawfiq to fear him as he should be feared.

Raaina
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Here's a nice boring list of my fears:

Insects - Spiders and anything that flies - yes that includes ladybirds and butterflys
Being burgled.
Lizards
Ladders - or more specifically climbing them
People who cannot control their temper, because it usually leads to me not being able to control mine
And being killed, not because im scared of dying (well maybe a little) but more because my family would be upset.

ok that wasn't as long as I excepted

Misz_Muslimah
10-23-2010, 09:21 PM
When exams are coming and you haven't revised..

جوري
10-23-2010, 09:30 PM
losing control of ones faculties and/or body functions and having to rely on others for those basic needs..

Woodrow
10-23-2010, 09:36 PM
That is a "house centipede" most probably in the family scutigera. That one and/or very close relatives are very common in houses in the cooler climates. But unlike the tropical centipedes they are harmless and can not bite. While being very common and live in nearly every house they are very shy and are seldom seen. Most people have never seen one, even though they probably share their house with some.

marwen
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
That is a "house centipede" most probably in the family scutigera. That one and/or very close relatives are very common in houses in the cooler climates. But unlike the tropical centipedes they are harmless and can not bite. While being very common and live in nearly every house they are very shy and are seldom seen. Most people have never seen one, even though they probably share their house with some.
Ah .. Ok. I know house centipedes, but I'm familiar with this type of centipedes :

That's why I didn't know it.

But it seems they have many forms :

this blue one is beautiful :

And I think bro Abd Al-Latif will agree that he has a really handsome face :

And .. With all these pics, I'm not sure if any one will want to see this thread again. +o( sorry

'Abd-al Latif
10-23-2010, 10:16 PM
And I think bro Abd Al-Latif will agree that he has a really handsome face :

Masha'Allah!!

S.Belle
10-23-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a fear of regreting things that I did/didn't do in life.
dying a hypocrite...extremely large feet,hands, and oatmeal give me the creeps..
spiders!! ever since I got bit by one Im terrified
and this one is really lame of me but driving I dont even have my license bc of it...:embarrass

~Raindrop~
10-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Those pictures of creepy crawlies are just plain cruel :-\

Cabdullahi
10-23-2010, 11:38 PM
i dont have any fears....but i get sweaty when my team arsenal plays against chelsea :(

Woodrow
10-24-2010, 12:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
Those pictures of creepy crawlies are just plain cruel :-\

What is a creepy Crawly to one person, is cute to another.

One person's creepy crawly is another person's cute, cuddly, warm fuzzy.

A person afraid of cats would see a kitten as being a creepy crawly.

Innocent Soul
10-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Assalamualaikum

Pathophobia (Fear of disease) :scared: , here is the book of phobias which will help of find your phobias ;D.
http://www.ojohaven.com/fun/phobias.html

جوري
10-24-2010, 02:52 AM

PouringRain
10-24-2010, 04:33 AM
I can't say that I have many persistent fears.

I have had some very short lived- temporary fears.

Like when I was newly moved into a house and I thought a man was outside my window. I was so terrified and I kept telling my mom about the shadow on my wall. She'd come in and turn on the light, and see nothing. Finally, I convinced her to turn off the light and stay, and sure enough she saw the shadow of the man on the wall. Upon much inspection, we realized it was a pile of clothes in the room next door, that was casting a distinct shadow of a man on the wall. ;D

But no, for the most part, I was the little girl playing with bugs and snakes. (I was even bit by a poisonous snake when I was 12 for playing with it. And I knew in advance it was poisonous. LOL )

My biggest and most irrational fear came after having children. I have a fear that something will happen to one of them and I will be unable to stop it or help them. I have planned escape routes and ideas of how I will protect them if someone were to break into my home.

Beardo
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Ya7ya
Is this the Muraad we always knew? :ooh:
I'll give a Tafsir on what Muraad bhai meant:

They're so attractive, so lovable, so unique, such a strong companionship, so luring, that he fears for his Imaan.

Hence, he says he fears women.

I don't know what you guys expected... You expect him to LOVE them all, start chatting up each one he meets? =/

Actually... that is what I expected....

Woodrow
10-24-2010, 01:42 PM

That critter sneaked in. It is not even related to Centipedes. That is an insect called a silver fish. One of the most ancient of insects. But they too are very common in houses. Especially in older house that have the old paper wall paper glued on with the old wheat paste. They love to eat paper.

S_87
10-24-2010, 02:06 PM
im also terrified of snakes, cant look at even pictures without cringing

Alpha Dude
10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
^ Do you like crabs?

S_87
10-24-2010, 02:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
^ Do you like crabs?
me?

dont LIKE them but not terrified of them, but then ive only been close up to small ones running round, not monster ones. wouldnt chase them but wouldnt squeal at the sight of one either :p

marwen
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
That critter sneaked in. It is not even related to Centipedes. That is an insect called a silver fish. One of the most ancient of insects. But they too are very common in houses. Especially in older house that have the old paper wall paper glued on with the old wheat paste. They love to eat paper.
hmm, you're right, it's another small insect, I'll get him out now. Obviously I don't have the makings of a good naturalist ;D .

Btw, I dunno if you know about this blue one :

is it real ? where it lives.

marwen
10-24-2010, 02:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
Those pictures of creepy crawlies are just plain cruel
That's really harsh ! These "creepy crawlies" have feelings ! <_<

Woodrow
10-24-2010, 03:01 PM
hmm, you're right, it's another small insect, I'll get him out now. Obviously I don't have the makings of a good naturalist ;D .

Btw, I dunno if you know about this blue one :

is it real ? where it lives.
The Blue one is real and it is one of the long legged house centipedes in the family scutigera. Harmless. I am not certain where they are found. I know I've seen them, most likely in Mexico, if my memory is working.

~Raindrop~
10-24-2010, 04:25 PM
That's really harsh ! These "creepy crawlies" have feelings ! <_<
If they stay under the rocks/wood etc where they belong then they're happy, we're happy, everybody's happy. but it's when they feel adventurous that people get the jitters. :-\

I for one feel awe for someone who can find them even the least bit cuddly/cute/lovely to look at. And maybe a little bit disgusted :X

marwen
10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
I remebered that I have "Stage fright*". You know, when you have to speak in front of a big number of spectators. I dunno how you can call it in the *phobia terms, and it's not exactly like the fear of crowds, it's the fear to be under attention and all the eyes look at you at the same time and maybe criticizing you.

Riya90
10-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Elevatorss :| Im so scared i'll get stuck in one, i think im gunna get a panic attack lol. I hope one day i cn overcome this stupid fear insha allah.

IAmZamzam
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Sleep. I really don't know why; phobias seldom make sense. It's the main reason I'm an insomniac.

Hayaa
10-25-2010, 07:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Sleep. I really don't know why; phobias seldom make sense. It's the main reason I'm an insomniac.
That must be so inconvenient D: .. may Allaah make it easy on you and rid you of this fear!

Insecured soul
10-25-2010, 07:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
mine is the same

i guess most of the phobias can be overcome

Amoeba
10-25-2010, 08:38 AM
I just thought of another one. Deadly poisons. Not that I have ever encountered them alhamdulilah! What I mean is at least none have ever got in me.

So although I'm not afraid of poisonous snakes, I am afraid of their venom. Especially the types that cause widespread necrosis if left untreated, or in some cases your tissues will become necrotic whether they're treated or not! It's one thing to die of venom that, say, attacks your brain, internal organs or your heart. You may suffer for a few hours, maybe a day or two. But to suffer for possibly weeks with slowly rotting flesh... *shudder*

I'm also afraid of anything where I lose immediate independence, like being unable to flee from a predator or my senses not being 100%. So if someone is approaching from behind I want to be able to know exactly where they are, what they look like, how fast they're going, be able to hear them at all times and I want to be able to flee if need be. I want to continue to be able to hear a person's footsteps the next street over so I can take a different route. If I couldn't do that, that would terrify me. I keep myself fit for exactly that purpose, and protect my ears from loud noises. Surprisingly enough, I have found my ears more useful than my eyes most of the time, though to be able to see clearly is a great bonus. And smell too - when you avoid perfumes and scents, your nose does become sharper, you can smell a person approaching from many metres away before you see or hear them. Especially if they smoke or wear scents themselves (or if they just stink).

I'm also terrified of being vomited on. My emetophobia isn't what it used to be, I'm not really that scared of seeing people vomit (and I was never scared of vomiting myself, only witnessing it scared me), but actually being puked on by anything bigger than a baby scares me. Baby puke doesn't scare me either, it's just coagulated milk. I don't think I could ever clean up adult vomit either.

Cabdullahi
10-25-2010, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I'm also terrified of being vomited on. My emetophobia isn't what it used to be, I'm not really that scared of seeing people vomit (and I was never scared of vomiting myself, only witnessing it scared me), but actually being puked on by anything bigger than a baby scares me. Baby puke doesn't scare me either, it's just coagulated milk. I don't think I could ever clean up adult vomit either.

S_87
10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
^^ that is MEAN

'Abd Al-Maajid
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii

Abdullahii!!! What happened to you? Is everything alright?

Woodrow
10-25-2010, 02:12 PM
When I was a kid about in my early teens, I had that same fear. I think it was because I was a horror movie fan. That was in the early 1950s and the werewolf, vampire movies were the rage. Night came and I would be scared to close my eye. Blasted werewolves.

czgibson
10-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Greetings,

I get scared by crazy drivers on the roads. Being tailgated is an annoyance, but there's an element of fear there too. People sometimes forget how dangerous cars can be. I saw someone doing a really risky overtake the other day, breaking the speed limit past two blind junctions just to get past two drivers who were going at the speed limit. Amazingly, one of the cars he overtook immediately started flashing blue lights - it was a secret police car! The driver got pulled over and busted straight away!

Also, here's a phobia I always mention when this topic comes up. I don't suffer from it, but I just think it's an entertaining word:

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

It means 'fear of long words'. ;D

Peace

Asiyah3
10-25-2010, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

I get scared by crazy drivers on the roads.
Peace,

Are you scared of death? Just asking out of curiosity.

IAmZamzam
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Here's a phobia I always mention when this topic comes up. I don't suffer from it, but I just think it's an entertaining word:

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.

It means 'fear of long words'. ;D

Peace
Here's another one for you:

Hellenologophobia: the chronic fear of Greek words or of technical/scientific terminology.

What sadists name these things?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-25-2010, 03:30 PM
^ A sadist! :-\

wasnt that hard to figure the answer :-\

czgibson
10-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by Runaway
Are you scared of death? Just asking out of curiosity.
I'm more frightened of pain than I am of death. To me, the state of being dead is no more scary than the state I was in before I was born.

Here's another one for you:

Hellenologophobia: the chronic fear of Greek words or of technical/scientific terminology.

What sadists name these things?
Although the example I gave is accepted as a real word, it's clear that whoever coined it was having a bit of a laugh; with yours the word has clear Greek roots:

Ἑλληνικός (hellenikos) = Greek
λόγος (logos) = word
φοβία (phobia) = fear

Both of our examples are likely to cause suffering in people with those phobias, though...

Seeing as 'chronic' is from another Greek root, χρόνιος (chronios), meaning 'long-term', we could even have this word:

Chronohellenologophobia

which literally means 'the chronic fear of Greek words'. Isn't language fun? :)

Peace

IAmZamzam
10-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Although the example I gave is accepted as a real word, it's clear that whoever coined it was having a bit of a laugh; with yours the word has clear Greek roots...
That is entirely possible but roots can be misleading. It’s hard to believe how silly and unrelated the roots of some legitimate words are. Considering how many different ways a word can come into existence, there’s really no telling.

Isn't language fun? :)
Extremely. For instance, “prefix” has no suffix but “suffix” has a prefix.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!